Rain of Ashes: After the Fall

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
The Great Nevareh

Rain of Ashes: After the Fall

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:20 pm

It is a nice day.

Or, at least, nice for that time of year. The sun, of course, was invisible behind the customary wall of clouds that nevertheless seems omnipresent, the dry wind from the west continues to blow in sand from who knows where, and it is as cold as it usually is in the autumn (and spring and summer and winter).

However, it could be raining or snowing or a plague-wind could be blowing. Since neither of these are the case this qualifies as a nice day. Thus, it is a nice day in Jansen-town, a small town on the frontier of the Duchy of Ontario. Farmers harvest the crops they managed to get through the growing season, tailors make and sew what cloth they can from the scraps they gather, and children get in a good hour's worth of play before they have to once again attend to the chores of daily survival.

In this town of Jansen on this nice day a small meeting is convened in a larger-than-average stone building that sits in the center of the town and acts as a combination town hall, depot, and emergency shelter. This is a meeting between one of the town's two Hunterjaars and the small group of four Hunters that has been convened for the purpose of asking another favor in the ongoing list of favors that Hunterjaars have been asking of Hunters for as long as anyone can remember.

This Hunterjaar is solemn and serious, like most Hunterjaars, as he asks for help from member of a most sacred and revered group: the Hunters who have been blessed by The Syrum. He is stately, being in his mid-fifties and thus expected to die soon, and he carries himself with the bearing of one of the town's eldest members, carrying himself with dignity that is difficult to find nowadays. He sits down at a chair in the office he shares with the other Hunterjaar who is currently out doing some of his other assigned duties. This is a chair at the head of a circle of five chairs, Hunters granted equal status and say in the job they are about to be asked to do. He regards the other four in the room. His name is Duncan van Zandt. He regards the group for a moment, then speaks.

"I apologize for the short notice and that you have been convened so swiftly without regard for your individual talents. However, it is necessary that I ask this of you and that you accomplish it swiftly. This may seem mundane and boring to the likes of you, revered Hunters, but it is of vital necessity to the people of Jansen.

We must get a message to Holdenburgh in the north about our current resources and see if they have the ability to supply us with medicines in exchange for some of our other goods. Our pharmacist has fallen ill and is unable to mix medicines for the winter, and we need either another pharmacist or chemist or an agreement to trade medicines for other of our supplies if we are to survive the winter when it is most difficult to avoid plague-winds.

Also, Manhattan is late this year. If, in your travel, you sight it, please tell us when and where. Knowing where it is might help some to unravel the various mysteries about it and other Floats. I can't entertain questions at the moment since we're stressed for time as it is, and you'll have to get to know eachother on the way. Supplies for the journey are already provisioned for you and are waiting out back on Brooden's cart along with appropriate letters of introduction for the Hunterjaar in Holdenburgh.

This must seem endlessly curt to you, heer Hunters, but it is necessary for you to be off as swiftly as possible."

When van Zandt finishes his speech, the room falls silent for a moment, the silence customary to allow the Hunters to commit the details to memory. It is not a long silence.

Elitegamer7539

Re: Rain of Ashes: After the Fall

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:15 pm

Sam was leaning back in his chair, his expression foul and vaguely angered, and made even moreso by the black scars the covered his face. He'd already examined the pharmacist, and it didn't look good. The disease was resiliant to his will, and he had nothing that could treat it through mundane means. In his mind, that meant it was either a virus, which would mean the town's fate was already sealed, or a supernatural plague, in which case a well enforced quarintine might mean the town would survive. Either way, the pharmacist's chances were not good.

Several different questions went through his head, though none of them were spoken. For one, it seemed odd to send a Hunter who specialized in healing away to fetch medical support from another town when there were three other (presumably) capable Hunters available. He has also wondered what Manhattan "being late" could mean.

Instead of mentioning these questions, remained silent. Winter was fatal without medicine, consuming entire villages and leaving ruins as empty as the great Pre-Fall cities. He'd seen it. He looked to the other Hunters, before looking back to the Hunterjaar and nodding.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=elitegamer7539>Elitegamer7539</A] at: 7/12/05 15:40

ziratha

Unread postby ziratha » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:16 pm

Edward was somewhat uncomfortable, he was hot, his chair did not fit him very well, and now this old man was talking about things he didn't entirely understand. Nonetheless, he listened as best he could, and filed the things he didn't know away for later.

At the mention of the Pharmacist's illness, Edward had a moment of instinctual fear before remembering that he would likely be immune to whatever it was that was causing the disease.

Once the elder had finished speaking, Edward sat in silent thought for several moments. When he had absorbed all he could, he looked at the speaker and nodded his head to indicate his readiness.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:11 pm

One Hunter was sitting in her chair in a rather uncivilized manner. She had her knees drawn up so that she sat cross-legged with her notebook resting on one thigh. She closed it over her pen to keep her place and looked up. Her eyes still hidden behind her sunglasses, she grinned, her teeth flashing white in a dust-covered face.

"Mundane and boring is fine. I have translations to work on."

She stood up, unfolding herself from her chair as small clouds of dirt drifted from her clothing to the floor. Shoving her notebook into her pocket, she picked up her cane from the floor, seemingly her only concession to the rules of fashion.

"So. Tally-ho, then."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:35 pm

Jerry scratched his chin. Something in its long, green strips of grass was bugging him terribly.

"Yeah... we should probably mosey pretty quickly here..." With a victorious tug, he drew a rather large, lime green aphid from amidst the forest of his jaw, and flicked it away. "Anyone here have a horse? That would hustle things along nicely..."

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:47 pm

"There aren't any horses in this town that aren't already employed in toil so we may survive this winter. I apologize once again, but you will have to travel by foot. Maybe heer Brooden can think of something. If we had horses for you to use, then there would not be such great urgency."

The Hunterjaar sits there calmly, once again expecting them to depart at any time.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:48 pm

Virginia looked down as an aphid hit her sleeve and managed to hang on there. As it crawled along her arm up to her shoulder, she placed one gloved hand so that it could crawl onto it.

She stared at the bug on the tip of her finger for a very long time before letting it down onto the table.

"Oh, right. Nope. No horse here." She turned to face Jerry, lifting her head so she could look at him from beneath her floppy, suitably filthy hat. "Don't know where we could get one, but I can't imagine it'll be all that complicated."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:03 pm

As he began to crack joints all over his body, Jerry wondered, "Get some on the way? A town on our route?" He crunched his knuckles, and it sounded like brittle wood snapping into splinters.

"That'd work for me."

Elitegamer7539

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:05 pm

Sam grunted as he stood up. "Unless you can find an elephant for me to ride on it won't do me much good. I haven't met a work-horse that would let me ride it yet. I can probably carry most of our supplies on my back if that's an issue."

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:11 pm

(Since no one else is apparently going to do it, I'll summarize. Let's see if I can do this in one sentence.)

The Hunters were sent to the depot to talk to a man named Brooden, and his thick accent made picking up supplies an interesting prospect.

(Yup. There it is.)

ziratha

Unread postby ziratha » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:32 pm

(ooc, I assume we have our inventory with us? If not, let me know and I'll edit my post appropriatly.)

Edward says, "Well, looks like we're walking." With that, he sets his leather pack on the ground and begins to root through it, until he pulls out a long metallic stick like object. This object is like a walking stick but has a round disk on the end as well as a hand crank on the other end, and finally it sports some nifty earphones (ooc a metaldetector). Edward puts the earphones over his fairly large ears and prepares to turn the hand crank.

After preparing the metaldetector, he slings his pack over his left shoulder and prepars to walk along side the group, on the search for valuables.

(ooc, Since I dont want to screw anything up, if He should find anything, its up to you, the gm, to let me know.)

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:41 pm

Virginia dragged her cane back and forth boredly as she walked. She turned to speak to Edward, prodding his arm in case he wasn't paying attention under those earphones.

"Hey. What model of metal detector is that?" She pointed at the device. "I think I helped translate that manual from the original German. Did you have any problems with the directions? A lot of it probably didn't translate very well. In fact..."

She flipped through the small orange notebook she carried and held it open for him. On the page was a small pencil copy of a schematic. "This part is supposed to go here, but when you translate it through a couple of different languages, it almost seems to say that you thread it through there. I didn't have a machine in front of me at the time to try it out. Which way does it work best?"

ziratha

Unread postby ziratha » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:04 pm

Edward was walking along, listening for a beep to indicate burried treasure, when he feels a poke on his arm. "Hey. What model of metal detector is that?"

He listened attentively to her questions and looks at the drawing with interest. He responds, "Well, actually, I didn't assemble this myself. I actually..." he pauses, "Acquired this detector in it's current state. But, if you'd like to examine it, to test your translations, I'd be happy to let you."

He took off the earplugs and offered the detector to Virginia. He adds with a painful grimace, "Just, Please don't break it?"

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:39 am

She rolled her eyes at his concern. "If you can manage not to break it without even having a schematic in front of you, I think I'll be fine considering whoever did assemble it probably used my directions."

She took it in one hand and set her cane in the crook of her arm. She inspected it, mumbling to herself a little as she did so. "Let's see... this goes here for the... okay. But the... yeah."

She handed it back. "Looks fine. I was right. So where'd you get it? You apparently aren't its first owner. You steal it?"

ziratha

Unread postby ziratha » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:37 pm

Edward quickly places the earphones next to his ears and begins turning the crank as begins to answer her.

"Well, uhm, you see..." He says with a sheepish grin, "Well, yah, I guess I did kinda steal it." He quickly begins to explain, "In my defense, I had no possessions and my only useful skills related to theft, so I kinda had no choice." He then tries to change the subject.

"So, you translate documents and manuals? That's a useful skill, what languages do you know?"

Whilst he's talking he stops walking suddenly and starts to wave the detector back and forth. After a moment, he frowns and continues walking, somewhat dissapointed.

The Great Nevareh

*Cough*

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:40 pm

"If'n I may? Dew yer tahlkin oon tha rood."

The depot-master Brooden is standing there next to the loaded wagon of... stuff... somewhat impatiently. He apparently knows that the Hunters are supposed to carry out this errand with haste.

As does everyone else in the town. The children who normally would congregate around some Hunters to be entertained by the spectacle are nowhere to be seen, the swooning teenagers not there to fantasize about either being a Hunter or being rescued by one, and no one seems to have any mail for them to deliver since they're going out to Holdenburgh. It's... a little odd... but expected when it's well understood that the Hunterjaar or Hunterjaar's office needs something done on behalf of the town with much speed. It couldn't be secret considering that Hunters (who 50% of the time barely look human) are very hard to hide, especially in a small town such as Jansen.

ziratha

Re: *Cough*

Unread postby ziratha » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:13 pm

Ed says, "Well, I'm ready, lets go!" With that, he begins walking, swinging the detector back and forth. He gets a half a dozen steps when he hears someone speak in an accent that could only belong to the depot master.

"Ahem?"

He looks back to see the man brooden point in the opposite direction.

"Oh... Ok" he says with an embraressed look on his face. He turns and starts in the correct direction in a quick walk. As he passes passes the still standing group, he notices a rather horrified look on the depot masters face.

(ooc, Hope I didn't take too much liberty?)

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:20 pm

Without a word, Jerry's staff planted itself in the soil, and he followed after Edward, and wondered aloud, "Why WERE we hanging around so long?"

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:08 am

(It's customary not to make decisions for other people. I'll let it slide, but unless your character is doing it, you probably shouldn't make it happen.)

"That's a good quashtin'. Meannin not t'be rahd, heer Hanters, bat taim's a wahsteen."

Elitegamer7539

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:40 am

Sam look from those leaving back to the wagon with a frown.

He looks to the man who loaded the wagon, and says "Do we get a horse to pull the wagon? Or does it run on it's own somehow?"

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:48 pm

"Mek doo, heer Hunters. Wah'r noot reech and wah'r noot noomoorus, so'n we've gat noo harses fer'n yah. Eef thees is too mach, take what yah need'n carry it u'n yahr backs, m'heers."

TRANSLATION: Make do, heer Hunters. We are not rich and we are not numerous, so we have no horses for you. If this is too much, tkae what you need and carry it on your backs, my heers.

He seems vaguely annoyed, not with the Hunters before him, but with someone else, perhaps the Hunterjaar they just finished talking to. Didn't they already cover this? is what he seems to be thinking.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:28 am

Virginia rapped her cane impatiently on the ground for a moment.

"Oh, hell. Honestly. Just grab your crap and, like the man said, if you can't carry it don't worry about it."

That being said, she tossed her backpack on the ground next to the communal supply and started to rummage around for anything portable enough to carry.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:15 pm

There's plenty of food, firewood, and the like. If you want to end up having good leeway to buy stuff when you get to Holdenburgh, you should bring the Kuxen you've been offered, too. There are three marks for one Kux apiece in the supply store. Everything else is mundane travel gear, like tent canvas, pots and pans, candles, tallow, lamp oil, et cetera.

ziratha

Re:

Unread postby ziratha » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:33 pm

Edward says, "I thought the rather muscular man over there" He motions to Sam, "was going to pull it? Oh well, lets make the best of it."

With that he runs to the cart and quickly begins to rummage through the supplies, intending to take some of as many different things as he can carry.

Elitegamer7539

Re: Re:

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:37 pm

Sam moans loudly. Without another word he walks to the wagon, muttering below his breath, he bends over and grabs the wagon's tounge (which is the wooden part that extends from the wagon that horses are normally harnessed to, before anyone asks). With a slight grunt and without giving Edward any warning, begins pulling the wagon out the door, supplies and occupant shifting a bit as the front wheels lift off the ground for a moment. He crouches a bit, allowing the wheels to return to the ground, and begins pulling the wagon, holding the tounge firmly, although somewhat awkwardly. He doesn't appear to be having much trouble pulling it as he moves towards the doors.

As he pulls the wagon towards the doors of the shed, his muttering continues, though now audible to any who cared to listen.

"G-ddammitI'mmadoctornotafricken'beastofburden. Ican'tbelieveIgottadothissohumiliating. Whycouldn'ttheyjusthaveahorseforus? IswearIshouldn'thaftasufferthroughthisjustnotright..."

Though he's obviously displeased, it seems more from embarrassment than from actual exertion.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=elitegamer7539>Elitegamer7539</A] at: 7/20/05 5:11

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:12 pm

"Ai sahd yah deedent needta take tha hoole wagon. Ya don't needta breeng tha wagon if'n ya doont wantah... Heer Hunters."

The last part is almost an afterthought. He's getting slightly impatient, but he's definitely holding his temper in check according to the traditional and vastly entranched respect for Hunters in this area.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:51 pm

Virginia turned to Brooden. "Okay. I won't speak for the others, but you need to stop calling me that. My name is Virginia. Call me by my name. Virginia, Ms. Fell, shit... even Ginny if you must. Okay?"

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:03 pm

A high pitched whistle cracked through the conversation. From about 200 feet off, Jerry waved his hand, high as it would go.

"Are you guys coming, or what?" he shouted. "Time's a-wastin'!" With that, Jerry turned back around, and kept going towards his destination...

Elitegamer7539

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:02 am

Sam continued pulling the wagon, ignoring the call from behind him and looking as if there were almost no strain involved in pulling it. The load didn't appear to slow him down a whole lot, though he made no indication that he was going to try to catch up to those who were already ahead.

A few yards out of the door, he looked back and yelled, "Hey, 'Ginny,' if you're gonna be picky about what you're called! Just leave 'em, I kinda doubt we'll be seeing much of him for a while."

Sam had stopped muttering, but his expression was still angry as he walked after Jerry.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:07 am

Virginia let out an exasperated sigh and hurried to catch up with Sam. "Now don't you start. I've spent enough years watching people's jaws drop because, oh God, a Hunter is nearby. It's freaking stupid. It was novel for a while, but cripes. Don't you ever get sick of walking into bars and having everyone pissing all over themselves to show proper respect to your supreme awesomeness?"

Elitegamer7539

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:43 am

Sam's sour expression melts away a bit as he shakes his head.

"I don't know how long you've been at it, but I've only been a Hunter for a few years now. The novelty hasn't worn out quite yet.

And I don't frequent bars that much... filthy places, and people that've heard of me tend to ask for some sort of remedy to hangovers. I've better things to do with my time."

Though it's difficult to tell thanks to the wagon he's pulling, he moves his shoulders in what might be a dismissive shrug.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:00 am

"A while. Believe me. It gets old. About twenty years ago I started wearing sunglasses so I wouldn't get stared at. I can't even sing anymore without people either being afraid to applaud or applauding just because they're afraid I'll blast them into oblivion for not bowing and scraping. It's irritating."

She took a moment to tuck a stray bit of hair back up into her hat. "Besides. You probably just haven't been to the right bars. Before I started my research I really made the rounds. There are a lot of nice ones out there. I mean, if you..." She looked like she was about to say more, but was interrupted by a series of harsh coughs. She stopped walking and leaned on her cane for support until she could breathe normally again for longer than a second or two. She shook it off and turned to Sam. "Sorry 'bout that."

Elitegamer7539

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:08 am

"...You really should get the cought looked at. Just from hearing that, I'd guess a problem with your lungs, and I'd also guess it's been there fore a good while.

I'd also guess that if you wanted treatment, you'd have gotten it by now, right?"

With that, he shakes his head and slows for a moment to allow her to catch up.

"Well, at least you can wear those sunglasses. I imagine it'll be a lot worse for those of us who can't hide it..."

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:26 pm

"I'm fine. Just got up early and didn't drink my tea like a good little invalid." She shook her head. "Urgent meeting and all that. I should do a better job of remembering it, but it's not a big deal."

She took off her sunglasses and stared at him with eyes that glowed blue under her hat. They were just bright enough to cast a colored light on the area around her eyes. "I can't always hide it. Especially at night."

ziratha

re:

Unread postby ziratha » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:39 pm

Edward noticed the wagon started moving whilst he was sorting through the supplies, so he simply let go. He starts turning the crank on his metal detector, while he begins walking.

Once he hears the whistle he notices the others are farther ahead and he begins to walk faster, but not so fast that he might miss some valuable piece of treasure.
He reaches Sam and slows to match his pace, and begins to listen to their conversation.

He watches as his fellow hunter takes off her sunglasses, and looks with some interest at her eyes.
He says, "Hey, those are nifty, Are you able to see in the dark? Or are they mosty for looks?"

He adds, "Come on, where is all the treasure? I hope this thing is working." He squints suspiciously at Virginia, but stops quickly.

Kai

Re: re:

Unread postby Kai » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:54 pm

She turned her gaze onto him briefly, then shoved the glasses back on her face. "Yeah, I can see in the dark. Not in color, but well enough to read."

She propped up her collar, looked him up and down, then raised an eyebrow in his direction. "And, you know... if that thing isn't working it's because you stole it without knowing how to use it properly. You're lucky that technology's already been catalogued. You tell me if you find anything. Don't dig it up until I get there," she finished with a tone of warning.

ziratha

Unread postby ziratha » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:46 pm

"Pardon me if I embraressed you, I just never really met many other hunters before, And I've never worked with any."
He smiles and adds, "Besides, look at me, I would be the last person to make fun of you." He then addresses the other thing she said.

"I'm sorry, I can tend to be a little suspicious of new people... And if you want to inspect things I find, feel free."
And if she wants to be blown up when I find a bomb or something... He smiles slightly and spares a quick glance at the detector.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:15 am

About a mile or so out of town, the countryside takes on a uniform appearance: Brown grass, overcast sky, some but not many hills, and a dirt road stretching off into the distance. This is at least somewhat ideal, since it's ridiculously easy to see threats from a long way off. The wind is picking up a bit, though. Nice and gusty, making a nominally comfortable day a bit chilly.

Edward gets a few blips now and then, but nothing spectacular. Plenty of pieces of scrap metal that probably got thrown off of some caravan or maybe fell out of the sky in a bigger chunk then got blown to pieces by the gods as it neared the ground. All in all, nothing too useful.

Still, at this point it's customary for someone to have a good vast Cast out to make sure nothing's coming.

ziratha

Unread postby ziratha » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:40 pm

Edward looks at the piece of metal he just dug up with some dissapointment. I guess I could trade it or something...

"Say, do one of you two care to get a magical sense of the surroundings? If you want, I can do it, but I'm not yet the most skilled of magic users..."

As he finishes speaking, he decides to take a closer look at the sky, hoping to spot the "Manhatten" the elder talked about.

Elitegamer7539

Unread postby Elitegamer7539 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:22 am

"Sorry, I'm more adept at close range casting. I could get up to a hundred feet, but it'd probably tire me out too much to pull the damn wagon."

Next

Return to Other RPs