Data missing. Requesting update...

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Endesu
ラムレッダ

Data missing. Requesting update...

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:27 pm

A few days ago...

Somewhere in the Doman market sat a ramshackle stand, advertising "Mind Reading and Fortunetelling!". The man at the stand had dressed himself up in a mysterious dark cloak and had trussed his eyes up so that they would appear red. This hadn't helped his business much, and he couldn't help but wonder why.

He had been standing there for some time when one being finally came up to his stand.

"Ah, hello, friend! I am the great Darko! I hold, within my mind, the amazing abilities of telepathy and fortunetelling! For a mere pittance, I can regale you with everything you would ever want to know about yourself or your future! How about it?" The man spoke with his best Vaudeville accent, hoping to win over at least one customer.

This particular man... or woman, was dressed simply in a coat and a hat that shrouded much of his face. What could be seen, below the trim of the hat, was the outline of some sort of mask.

A pause followed, and the great Darko coughed. "Sir?"

The mysterious figure finally spoke up, keeping its voice low. "Very well. I would be interested in hearing you out."

"Excellent! For 100 gil, you can get a fortunetelling. For 50 gil, I will demonstrate my amazing telepathy! And for a special low, low price of 125 gil, you can partake of both! What will it be, sir?"

The figure, without hesitation, plunked 50 gil down in front of the man. "I'm interested in the telepathy option."

"Excellent choice, sir!" Darko nodded, quickly scooping up the gil into an out-of-sight sack. "Now let me focus the mystical forces of my mind..."

Darko held both hands up to his head in a grand flourish, and held them there. The veins on the back of his hands pumped out, almost frighteningly, in an apparent 'display' of the stress of telepathy.

Finally, his hands fell to his sides, and he looked towards the figure. "You, sir... you are looking for telepaths such as myself. Apparently you have been doing this for at least 5 years... and you are working with others to this end. Am I correct?"

The figure smiled under its mask. "Yes. Amazingly correct. Listen... the group of others you mentioned? They're standing not far away. They had heard rumors of your amazing prowess in the field of telepathy, and they also wanted to see you. They did not follow me since they hate crowds so very much. But if they were to see you, I am sure they would pay handsomely to partake of your abilities. Would you please follow me?"

Darko became quite happy at this news, and nodded. "Give me but a moment, sir!"

He quickly attached a note to his stand: "Out to Lunch". The figure began to walk off, away from the marketplace, away from the people, and Darko followed.

It wasn't long after that Darko's corpse was discovered in an alleyway not far off from the marketplace. His cloak had been torn to shreds, and his head seemed to leak blood from every possible orifice. Witnesses who had, by chance, seen Darko leaving with the figure described the figure as a man... or woman of medium height, and light build. Any other details were impossible to tell, due to the hat and coat.

Word spread quickly of the murder and the figure who was apparently connected, and an official investigation into the murder began not long afterward.

The day began like any other day for those who lived in Doma or around it. The weather was predictably cold, the skies were predictably gloomy, and the denizens were predictably... predictable.

The mail came, as predictable as ever, to Kelne and Kyle (and countless other characters who would never receive it due either to the fact they have no formal address, or they had fallen off the face of the planet). A particular letter, however, brought the predictability of it all to an end. The envelope was addressed only with their names. The letter inside revealed a short message...

"To those named,

Your presence is humbly requested in front of Ninja Ned's store at noon. Please bring yourself and yourself alone.

PS: This isn't a trap. Really."

Somewhere, over the rainbow, a young moogle named Kumo may or may not be wandering near Doma. His senses would pick up a white bird of some sort flitting just past his head, and dropped what appeared to be a map of some sort onto the ground in front of him.

It seemed to be a map of Doma, and a prominent red X was slashed out in front of a small store with "Ninja Ned's" scribbled next to it.

Just under the "Ninja Ned's" was a smaller note:

[font size=2]I didn't forget you.[/font]

All over town, signs had been plastered about an independent investigation into the mysterious occurence. A reward of 10,000 gil was promised to those who helped bring in the perpetrator, and a partial sum of 2000 gil promised to those who assisted in any way.

The address listed indicated a home somewhere in the slums...

Edited by: <A>Crawling Reshiki</A> at: 6/26/06 11:02
Last edited by Endesu on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Meanwhile...

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:17 pm

"Hmmm... a girl like you?"

"Yes, have you seen a girl that looks anything like me?"

Stephen, the bipedal dragon man with broken wings and a cape, had been combing much of Gaera for the last few years, determined to find some sort of clue, some sort of hint, as to his sister's whereabouts. While dealing with Infinity had gotten in the way of his search some time back, they had seemingly either died off or hidden themselves away, allowing him to continue his apparently perpetual search.

He had come across a small town, somewhere between nowhere and the middle of nowhere, and had questioned most of the people there. The man he was questioning, apparently some sort of wine merchant, was the only man that he had yet to question.

"You aren't connected to that fool Mercini, are you? Wouldn't know a good bottle of wine if it struck his mother in the hip!"

"For the third time, I don't know any Mercini. Please, just answer my question. If you haven't seen anyone, have you at least heard of someone like me?"

The wine man paused briefly, and something seemed to light up in his eyes. "Well, I may have seen someone like yourself not long ago. I pass from town to town, and I see all sorts, but I don't often forget someone like you. While most of their body was covered with a coat and hat, I could definitely see wings poking out... similar to yours. Hat tried to hide most of the face, but I could see some of the snout and all of that under. Tried to offer the passerby some good wine, but it passed me right by."

Stephen thought this over. "Did you see where it was heading?"

The wine man jerked his thumb in the direction of Doma. "Seemed to be heading in the direction a'there."

Stephen snorted. He had gotten leads and hints as to Doma before, but most had turned up dead. This one would probably turn up the same... but he had no choice but to follow it. He nodded to the man. "Thank you."

"Wait, wait, how about some fine wine on your journey? Good stuff, not pisswater!"

"I don't drink, sorry."

Stephen stalked off in the direction of Doma, as the wine merchant watched him go. "Man like that probably needs all of the alcohol he can get..."

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Re: Meanwhile...

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:20 pm

Kumo had, in fact, been putting on a small dance in front of a rather modest healing house when the letter came, and had put it off to the side until he'd finished. In fact, he'd almost forgotten about it until after the show, including the gathering of what little money people offered. It was a living...

And when he found the letter, he was merely mildly confused, but decided to drop by Ned's anyway. It wasn't -that- far a walk, after all.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Re: Meanwhile...

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Kyle had known this day would come, and he loathed it with all of that unsavory emotion his heart could manage. It had been quite a while since the last encounter, and he had become fairly accustomed to a calm, if moderately boring lifestyle of ranching and wooing his sweetheart. He would've shrunk with fear, or curled into a wimpering mass of jelly, were he not aware of the consequences of leaving such an ominous invitation un-heeded. He loved Fresca and the ranch far too much to even chance bringing such an unmentionable doom near.

He donned the coat he wore when out of the house, strapped on the rapier that accompanied him on most tasks unrelated to ranching, and knelt by the fireplace.

"Paper! C'mon, we're going into town. Ned wants to see us; and I think he wants to collect my debt, or to rope me in to helping with another fashion show. Either way, we're gonna give him Hell."

A few chirps and scuffles echoing down the brickwork later, and a tiny bird appeared. Only a few flecks of soot marred the snowy feathers of it, but that did little to effect the soft radiance one could easily imagine it gave off.

And so, did the two brave souls march off towards town.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Re: The Seven Plagues (Closed FS RP)

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:15 am

One of said flyers is currently to be found in the hand of a person known by few, though out of choice. Greg Campbell walks through the streets, paper in hand, looking for said address, both allured by the reward and somewhat worried of the nature of the victim.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:20 pm

The time was closing in on noon, and the crowds were beginning to grow as the desire for lunch overrode the desire for work. It was with some difficulty that Kyle, Kumo, and Paper made their way to the front of Ninja Ned's store.

There, in front of Ned's store, stood a rather tall figure standing in a mysterious cloak. No, this was not Astrynax. He's still dead. Rather, this appeared to be one of the multitude that, some time ago, had invaded Doma. He appeared to be vaguely uncomfortable in the outfit, and seemed to step back and forth a bit in it.

When he finally noticed the trio approaching, he perked up a bit and straightened himself out. "Ahem... so the three of you have arrived!" The figure spoke in a poor mockery of a MCF's voice. Apparently he hadn't practiced his evil voice. "I am here to bring you and any others who may arrive to a destined meeting spot! If we deviate from our set path, certain gloom, doom, and stuff will come to pass! Do you understand these things? Huh?"

It seemed to realize that its speech had fallen out of standard pattern, and it smacked its forehead. <span style="font-size:x-small;">"I never was as good as Astrynax at this kind of stuff..."</span>

"So, uh..." It looked back to them. "Are you prepared to follow your destiny?"

Greg's journey had taken him into the heart of the slums... a truly depressing area, to say the least. A truly awful orchestra of odors had touched upon his nose, and the homes here were in truly ramshackle condition. The address indicated on the flyer, however, led him to a home that truly stuck out...

In that it wasn't in horrible condition. The windows and door were still in place. There wasn't any sort of trash surrounding the house. And there actually seemed to be artificially generated light and heat stemming from the place!

The door had a sign posted on it. The writing was somewhat crude, but it was still readable:
"Apply for job inside. Knock first."

At this same time, from somewhere around the side of the house, a small teddy bear of some sort seemed to peek out at Greg ever so briefly, before toddling off in another direction.

Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/20/06 12:38

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:33 pm

Paper darted up to a lamp-post and looked down to the MCF from above, scrutinizing from a bird's-eye view. Kyle on the other hand, took action!

"Uh,as much as I'd like to see whatever sort of goofball idea you've got cooked up, Ned, I don't have time for...goofball ideas. So if you want I can write you a check for what I owe, if that's what you want."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:38 pm

Paper would notice that the seams of the mysterious cloak seemed to be a bit torn around the shoulders! A slight hint of fur could be seen just poking out of the cloak - not enough to be seen by those standing at the figure's height, but enough to be seen by certain birds floating above!

The figure shifted uncomfortably as Kyle spoke to it, and the hood seeemed to shake slightly. "Uh, really, Kyle, I'm not Ned. I'm just here to take you someplace. I love shinies and all, but that isn't what I'm here for." The evil voice had been dropped again, this time to a pleasant tone, and the cloaked figure straightened up. "So please follow me, to your destined fate." It spoke again in a faux evil voice, and shook its gloved hands in a 'spooky' way.

Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/20/06 14:44

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Remember this guy?! ... no?

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:59 pm

There had once been a mysterious Dragoon by the name of Okan. Together with a red mage by the name of Seph and an annoying fish boy by the name of Molokidan, they had scaled a mysterious tower. Or so the Dragoon thought.

Or was it a Paladin now? He couldn't remember anymore.
He had found himself in the middle of a country by the name of Inustan. A fragment of memory, somewhere, insisted that he had been working at some sort of inn somewhere within the vast reaches of this land. He couldn't remember the name. He couldn't remember what he had been doing there.

He felt so very much lost, being unable to deciper the whys and hows of his status. A more obscure fragment of memory seemed to insist that he was in a room of the inn that he had been working under, but he could not be at all sure about this. His armor and weapon, to the side, were clearly not those of a Dragoon. He was apparently some sort of knight? He sighed as he strapped his gear on, and made his way out the window of the room. He did not want to risk exiting out the front and coming across some other part of his memory that he was not sure he even had.

He took in the air and tried to gather the thoughts he had. All of them conflicted with each other, but a few things seemed to hold. A few images... people he had known, for certain?

There seemed to be some sort of Moogle... a dead one. And a girl... a draconic one? She owned an inn...? There were others, as well, though their images were foggier. The name of the place came back to him not long after... Doma. He would have to find his way back to this place, if he wanted to clear some of the fogginess in his mind.

And it was so that he set off, looking for directions to Doma...

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:03 pm

Paper did a front-flip flutter onto Kyle's head, which is a good thing, as it prevented Kyle from throwing his head back in frustration. Not that he'd do that anyways. Instead, he just said "Alrighty." and waited for whatever silliness was due.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:13 pm

Paying no more than a passing glance to the odd site in the window, Greg walks up to the door, knocking as directed.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:18 pm

The door was opened slowly in response to the knocking, and the head of what appeared to be an elven woman poked out, red eyes boring directly into Greg. Her hair, some sort of purple and black mess, stuck up in several spots, and her eyes were slightly bloodshot. Apparently, she hadn't gotten much sense.

"Right then." She hissed. "What the hell do you want, knocking at a woman's door at this time of day?! Don't you realize how late it is?!"

The mysterious cloaked figure nodded, and looked to Kumo. "You, as well... also joining us on this path of mystery and intrigue?"

Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/20/06 16:20

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:23 pm

Kumo simply shook his head in mild disbelief, saying, "Whatever 'mystery and intrigue' you have cooked up, I'm not really interested. But I figure I may as well listen to whatever you have, and dismiss it in full knowledge of what it is. And you need to practice your 'dark and evil' voice a bit more before I'm that convinced this is very interesting." And with that, he followed.

(A note. Since this is closer to present day Gaera, Kumo will have White Mage robes on. Just a minor note.)

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:21 pm

The words 'this isn't a trap. Really.' Were hardly going to sit well with Kelne. None of his acquaintances were mind-numbingly stupid enough to put a note like that in a letter addressed to him, and he had no interest in associating himself with anyone who was that foolish.

His first instinct was to ignore the letter. Unfortunately, there was no telling who else it had been sent to. Odds were that somebody he knew would turn up, and bad things would probably wind up happening.

His second instinct was to get a hold of Griff and borrow a troop of guardsmen to throw the idiot in a dungeon. While this idea held a certain appeal, it was probably an overreaction. Besides, the Guard were likely busy at the moment, what with the dangerous lunatic running around killing people. There was a possibility that the two were connected, but it was only a possibility.

More information was called for.

As a result, Kelne had ensconced himself in a rented room across the road from Ned's a good couple of hours before noon. It made a good vantage point to observe the coming meeting which, given the public location, was unlikely to degenerate into violence and bloodshed.

His patience was rewarded as Kyle and Kumo turned up, and were promptly accosted by one of those cloaked idiots. He might have known. Predictably, neither seemed inclined to go along with his script for the meeting. Kelne saw no particular reason to show himself, and besides, his own contribution to the meeting ought to be arriving right about... Now.

The cloaked loony's reaction ought to be interesting to watch.

"Hiya Kyle, hiya Kumo," came a bright, cheerful voice instantly recognisable as that of a minion. #73 in this case. He turned to the third member of the group, "Are you the idiot who sent the note?" You just couldn't fake the kind of innocence in his voice at that question, "The Boss says 'No, buzz off.'"

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:26 am

The cloaked figure sighed to himself, running a hand across his (unseen) face. Obviously, I could've thought this one through a bit better.

"Kelne sent one of his minions, huh? Just my luck..." The cloaked figure grumbled a bit too loud, before it cleared its throat again. "Can't you tell your 'boss' that it would be really nice for him to be here? See, the way things are set up, it'd be better if everyone were there..." The figure coughed again and spoke a bit more carefully and evilly. "... by which I mean it would be all the more mysterious, and spooky! And all of that crap."

The shoulders of the cloak twitched again, and even Kelne from his spot above could note that the cloak did not fit the mysterious stranger quite as well as it should've. How suspicious! This was especially noticeable when the figure stepped from spot to spot, somewhat uncomfortably.

"I was hoping that some of the others would show, but they're either busy or they've fallen out of existence..." The figure continued, hopping from foot to foot. "So I need everyone I can get. C'mon."

The presence of guards around Doma had stepped up considerably, especially around the market. The offering of telepathy and mind reading for cash was forbidden, as this was what may have led Darko to his fate.

There were no mysterious figures wearing hats and coats here. That would've been too suspicious. No, the new figure entering the fray looked every bit like your average Doman. He was average-height, of average build, and average clothing. Barely noticed, he slipped through the crowds, looking upon one of the flyers advertising the murder.

The man cursed slightly and headed off, swiftly blending into the crowd...

Somewhere... on another world far, far away...

Amidst a scattering of simple houses, a prison, and a tower, stood a tent of sorts that held what appeared to be a trash can moving on wheels and a person of some sort, buried beneath a large cloak. She was busily typing away at some sort of computer. Although it had been scratched away, the sticky residue of an Infinity logo remained plastered onto the side.

The computer seemed to be focusing on Infinity Corporation and its two branches. The first, formerly headed by Monotar, and later Alex, had clearly been disbanded. Many of its members had been taken into custody, its assents had been scattered, and the research projects had all been placed under wraps. It helped that Alex was being kept in the prison here as his punishment.

The second, she didn't know quite as much about. She had never been to the world of Water, where the second branch was said to be held. She did know that the people of the world had revolted, in mass, against the Corporation and had been doing so for some time. The last project that the second branch had supposedly worked on, the so-called 'Androids', used up the last of the branch's money. The Androids had been sent to Gaera, but were fortunately, for the most part, beaten.

For some time, she had had a lingering worry in her mind, but with the absolute confirmation that the two branches were destroyed, what was there to be concerned about?

Just then, a blinking 'e' appeared at the bottom of the screen. She noticed and clicked on it. A screen of e-mail messages appeared, and the newly arrived message filled the screen.

"... oh, it's from Galc!" She noted happily. She read the message quickly, and as soon as she had finished, a dark expression crossed her face. "... this can't be true, can it?"

With only a moment's pause, she began adding a new file to her database. She knew she would have to get moving soon...

Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/23/06 12:20

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:15 pm

Greg blinks at the woman, and looks around at the surroundings; sunlight streaming down, birds being chirpy, the whole lot.

"...Pretty sure I do, yes."

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:36 pm

There was a brief, nearly audible silence in the air. She looked about for a moment longer, grumbled, and yelled out, "Just a minute!"

She slammed the door rather rudely in his face. Over the next few minutes, Greg could hear the woman weaving a tapestry of profanity as she apparently dressed up. The door swung back open rather violently, and she strolled out, hair now tied back into a scruffy-looking ponytail. Her clothing, thrown on rather messily, appeared to be some sort of soldier's uniform, though the various pins and items attached were not of any kind that Greg had ever seen before.

"Yeah, sorry about that." She grumbled, looking angrily at him. "I come from far off, so I'm not used to the shitty timing of your days and nights. Anyway, come in, so we can discuss this crap. And make sure no one's with you, or else I'll throw your ass back out onto the street!" She made her way inside, leaving the door open for Greg.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:38 pm

Heading inside and closing the door without bothering to check, Greg follows the angry woman in.

"So, about this job..."

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:52 am

"Alrighty. Sure thing.

Oh hey, and if we pass by an ice-cream shoppe on your magical mystery tour, could we stroll up and get some? I'd even pay."

Kyle grinned to Kumo and #73 knowing full well they'd never turn this offer down; and this small reward might make the cloaked figure's adventure worthwhile for everyone.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:17 pm

Greg walked into an unusually well-furnished single room setting. Fine chairs and couches decorated the place. A set of lace curtain had been thrown onto the floor, obviously by someone not caring enough to hang them up. A messily made bed sat in a far corner, and a large stack of books stood between the closest wall and the bed. One of these books had been opened to particular page.

Various posters and signs hung on the walls seemed to advertise some sort of military service, though Greg couldn't understand the language the posters were using.

The woman had taken a seat at a finely furnished table sitting just before the door. A plate of half-cooked eggs and meat sat there, half-eaten. She appeared to be picking at it with a fork as Greg came in. Once he had come in, she waved him to a chair just next to hers, and began to speak.

"Right then. First off, this is for just joining on. 1,000 gil." She snatched up a sack of gil, previously unseen, and tossed it at Greg. If Greg cared to check, every bit of the cash was authentic and accounted for.

"An additional 1,000 gil will be paid once you cough up something interesting or worthwhile concerning our man, or woman, or whatever. If you somehow manage to catch the little shit, you'll be getting 10,000 gil in addition to that. To find clues or information on the guy, you're obviously going to have to use your own skills and abilities."

"That's about it. If you've got any questions, now's the time to ask 'em. And if you need to know the name of your boss, it's Jikuro."

The cloaked figure actually seemed somewhat relieved at the offer. "Actually..."

Out of nowhere, it pulled out three ice cream cones, presenting them to the assembled trio. "I've got some right here. From my globe. Of, uh, doom."

Upon inspection, the ice cream cones looked as if they were not poisonous, and, in fact, delicious. The color of the ice cream suggested that it was vanilla.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:41 pm

Greg nods.

"Is anything at all known about him or her so far?"

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:49 pm

"Well, lessee." She pulled out a ridiculously large stack of papers out from under the table, pausing to fling the plate to the floor. The plate shattered, the food spilled everywhere, and Jikuro chuckled briefly.

She then set the papers down with a rather loud thump, and began skimming through them until she found one of interest and picked it out. "The suspect was seen around this time in the Doman market only a few days ago. Said suspect was dressed in a hat and a coat, hiding many details away from witnesses. They do know the suspect was of average build and of average height. The victim was selling telepathic services, so the motivation may be hatred of telepaths, or it may have been a rivalry against this particular man...

... or the suspect may have just really hated the dark, mysterious cloak the poor bastard was wearing. Whatever. Cause of death seemed to be some sort of massive internal shock to the head. There was no sign of external damage to the head, so no weapons could have been used."

She looked at the paper again, and then handed it to Greg. It basically contained everything she had just told him, along with a conceptual sketch of the figure in hat and coat.

"That's about all anyone knows right now. The guards around town are doing their damndest to find something, but I doubt they'll ever pick up the guy."

Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/24/06 13:50

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:48 pm

Kyle gladly accepted the proffered cone, and gave it a cautious lick with the tip of his tongue. Paper, too, hopped down upon Kyle's arm and gave a few quick pecks to the confection of mysterious origins.

"Thank you!" Both said simultaneously, though one in Common and the other in Bird.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:25 pm

"Oh, sure thing," #73 said, helping himself to an ice-cream before turning straight towards the building Kelne was lurking in and shouting, "Hey, Boss! The cloaked guy says it'd be nice if you were here!"

Kelne swore softly to himself. How the hell did they always know where he was, anyway? He certainly hadn't told 73 that he'd be coming along to watch. Well, there was his money for renting the room down the drain. Still muttering to himself, he made his way down and out of the building, and closed in on the group.

"Alright, you, I'm here," he said, disdaining ice cream, "You have one minute to convince me to stay. Make it good." He'd have to make it very good indeed. The mysterious behaviour and that idiotic cloak had hardly endeared him to Kelne.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:16 am

Nodding, and snickering a bit at her shared opinion of the guard, Greg stands up. He takes the bag and paper, placing both in his pack.

"I'll see what I can do."

Leaving her home, Greg heads to his own place, grabbing his sword & scabbard, various items, and a few..."clothing changes"...before making his way to the crime scene.

Well, hopefully I'm not too out of practice. Get the feeling some fighting'll be comin' up with this.

(OOC: If you want me to specify what disguises he's bringing, I can do that in the OOC thread. :O)

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:45 pm

Upon tasting, the flavor did indeed turn out to be vanilla, and a tasty vanilla at that! Even if the figure was fool enough to wear a dark mysterious cloak in the middle of the day, it could at least produce quality frozen treats!

The figure nodded warmly to any thanks, and attempted to offer Kelne a cone, but quickly got his point, and instead of speaking directly to him... spoke into his mind! Wooooh!

"I can understand your being paranoid, Kelne," the voice said, "but you don't haveta be paranoid around me." The vague shape of ears under the hood could be seen twitching ever so slightly. "Ice cream, makes a bad MCF, happens to know all of you and wanted to bring you all together... do I have to spell it out? If you do, don't say a word. I have something planned."

Outside of the world of telepathy, the figure coughed and shrugged to Kelne. "Spooky stuff, nuff said!"

"Wonderful." Jikuro picked at her teeth as he picked up his stuff. "Try not to die in the process, okay? Otherwise, that money will have been a waste."

She waited until Greg had left before scritching his name down onto a long sheet of others who had come through.

It took some time for Greg to make his way through the crowds, but when he had finally reached the market, he found the crime scene very easy to spot. It seemed to inhabit an exclusive spot, as all of the other stands had been distanced from it.

A fine line cordoned the stand off, and a few guards stood guard by the stand. One stood at the side of the stand, facing out towards the side of the market where Greg was currently standing. The other stood at the exact opposite end of the stand. There seemed to be an alleyway of some sort just behind the stand, but Greg couldn't see much of it from where he was standing.

(Yes, Idran, do specify the disguise)

There was a fine bridal shop in Doma. It stocked all sorts of items for anyone who was planning to tie the knot. Since it held exclusive distribution rights to some of these same items, it enjoyed strong business.

But this isn't a story about the store. It's a story about the person who entered the store. Or, rather, a mental process given flesh form. His... er... her... ahem, its name was Inana.

In this particular form, Inana had changed her features to resemble that of a healer mage, right down to the white and red robes. While she didn't care much for some of the chaste attitude she had seen in these people, she did love the style of robe they wore.

"How can I help you, miss?"

Inana looked up to the person standing at the register, an old woman, who had clearly been running this business for many years. She seemed nice enough.

"Yes, I'm looking for a proper dress. I'm going to be wed soon, to a fellow mage." She stated politely, shushing a discreet chuckle.

"How lovely! What did you have in mind?"

"Something... revealing."

"Er, revealing?"

Little did the owner of the store know just how badly this was going to go...

Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/25/06 15:35

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:57 pm

Kumo also declined the ice cream, muttering something about not being hungry...though he was getting more than a little suspicious. "Should we be talking about this somewhere more private? Or at least get going? I've a show in the morning and I don't want to be too groggy to even lift my feet. Who knows what end I'd come to."

So it was blatant. Not like you could get much more blatant than offering vanilla ice cream cones of doom from a globe, after all.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:51 am

"As it happens, I've rented a room which ought to serve quite well," Kelne said, indicating the building he'd emerged from. The little clues had assembled themselves in his mind far more slowly than they might have. Then again, as far as he'd been concerned, they'd just been dealing with some random cloaked loony. He'd have to watch assumptions like that.

He sighed faintly. This meant that the prospects of impending doom were all too real. Just once, it would be nice if it was all a load of bunk.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:54 am

Spying the guards, Greg heads up to the closer one.

"Hey...don't I know you from somewhere?"

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:26 pm

"Well, see, I had a particular place in mind for us to go to..." The figure seemed to be growing tired of the fact that its setup had clearly gone nowhere.

"It would be nice if we could go where I intended, instead of a room where no stuff is?" It seemed ready to almost rip off its cloak and yell at them, the way it began moving from foot to foot now, but it remained calm, still.

"So, you know... I was waiting for others to arrive, but it seems like no one else will... like I said, falling off the face of the planet and stuff... so if you're willing, follow me, please." It was readily apparent that it didn't like Kelne's idea. That could be considered somewhat suspicious. But it had already begun walking off, tentatively leading them in a particular direction. "C'mon!"

The guard Greg had approached glanced at him somewhat suspiciously. "Er... no, I don't think so, sir."

The other guard glanced towards the two of them briefly before turning back away.

The bridal store that Inana had entered failed to offer any of the items that the mental inhibition given flesh had wanted. The poor shopkeep had exhausted every item that she had, and still to no avail. Sadly, all of her items were of far too much good taste, and, as such, were no good for the Inana.

"Please, miss, I think you have the wrong kind of store. I'm sure that if you search Doma, you will find what you're..."

"No, no, no! I want the rosaries and veils and flowers and all that stuff! Just set to my particular tastes!"

"Like I said..."

"No, no, no, sweetie! This is where I want to go! All of those 'other' stores... none of them have the 'spark' I'm looking for! Listen... I think I may have an idea for you..."

The shopkeeper exhaustedly agreed, as long as Inana would finally buy something and get the hell out. Not in those exact words, of course.

A few minutes later, Inana went mincing out with a bagfull of mysterious and possibly dangerous wedding contraband. Now, all she had to do was find a few certain people...

Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/27/06 12:34

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:04 pm

"Are you sure? Like, years ago. When we were kids. Oh, your name's on the tip of my tongue..."

As he speaks, he lets off a use of Detect Strong Feelings against this guard.

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Kumo can be a cheeky bastard sometimes.

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:54 pm

Kumo shrugged a bit, simply saying, "Lead the way. Let's get this over with already. I like my mystery and intrigue to show up by three PM, if not earlier."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:55 am

"Fine, fine," Kelne said, falling into place in the procession. Kumo was young yet to be displaying that sort of cynicism, but he could hardly say it was unwarranted.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:55 pm

The guard shook his head again. "No, I'm sorry, sir, I'm fairly sure we haven't met..."

This is what he said, but Greg could detect a strong hint of anxiety and confusion in the guard. He had clearly brought up some doubt within the guard, who was likely wondering if he really had met this guy before, or not...

And so, the figure led the group on a merry jaunt! They quickly left Ninja Ned's store behind, moving swiftly past various buildings here and there. They were making good time, and the figure seemed vaguely happy that they were getting to their intended destination. So happy, in fact, that he hummed a happy song!

... but then, clearing his throat, he hummed a faux dark and evil song. And so they went. It wouldn't be long now...

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:11 pm

"Really? Could've sworn...wait, you remember James, back when you were a kid?"

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:40 pm

"Well... yeah, I do remember James. I'd never forget that bastard! You really know him...?"

Any feelings that were detected now would indicate a bit more ambivalence, small doubts mixed with ever-increasing trust. As far as the name went, James was a somewhat common name, so it wasn't surprising that the guard knew someone with that identifier. However, the schlep did not know that, which worked to Greg's advantage.

The guard had, by now, loosened up a bit, and fell out of his strict profile stance. His arms went to his sides and he leaned a bit against the stand. "Hell, maybe I do know you... tell me, you know what James is up to these days?"

The figure had excitedly led the small group to the edges of Doma, and was apparently headed for the forest. Observant, long-time character types would note that the path it was leading them on was one that they had taken many times in the past, to deal with various evil threats as they arose!

When they had finally reached the setting of trees and foliage, the figure briefly stopped, licking a gloved finger and putting it in the air. "Yeah... definitely past here."

And so it, indeed, led them past there. Its pace quickened as they dashed past a band of roving squirrels, led by the mysterious white squirrel of lore.

The squirrel glared at them briefly, then chirped and led its horde on in another wicked direction. A scar of sorts had been imprinted on its hide... and even after all this time, it still desired revenge... still desired blood... for the injury it had received!

The group, led by the mysterious figure, dashed past a lingering giant roach that had taken a moment to smoke a cigarette. It glanced at them as they passed, noting the figure specifically. It sighed, shrugged its (nonexistent) shoulders, and continued puffing.

Further they went, passing by a box with odd foreign writing spelled out on the side. The way the box was built, it seemed as if it was meant to hold something. Something small and bear-like.

But the box was empty.

Even further did they go. A few confused -Minions had somehow gotten themselves lost in the forest, and were attempting to discover a way up and back to the sky with the use of their nets. These attempts to fly had failed to work thus far.

They passed by many things (including a suspicious tree stump) but all were left behind in favor of their final destination spot, located deep in the forest, at a spot where the trees broke and the sky shined down completely.

There, set, was a grouping of various tables, and chairs. All sorts of food had been set on these tables, along with various drinks of some sort. Plates and cups were stacked up (some of them bearing a suspicious resemblance to former Jade Dragon merchandise) and were ready to be plucked up.

Balloons, as a natural component to such things, littered the area.

"This is what I wanted you to see." The figure spoke, shifting back to its natural, happy tone. "Whoever was available, I kinda wanted to... do something with them, you know?"

Kyle would vaguely remember such a gathering as this before... and though it had gone terribly, due to the interference of a wicked man by the name of Simon, the food had been good. And much of the food here appeared to be similar...

Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/31/06 15:52

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:55 pm

There are some rules for keeping a believable cover story. Keeping it simple is the first among them. Make your mark fill the details in himself and he'll probably buy them.

"Eh, you know, same ol' James."

Second is to keep things vague. If you can interpret something more than one way, your mark'll choose the way he wants to interpret it.

Greg shakes his head while smiling at the man. "Wow, a guard."

Finally, get the information you need and get out before he can question you.

"Hey, when're you getting off duty? We should catch up over a round. Heck, I'll even buy."

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:25 pm

Kumo blinked, looking over the ensemble...and then at the MCF. And then at the balloons. And then back to the MCF again.

"It's your birthday? Why didn't you just tell us instead of doing all of this 'mystery' stuff?"

Kumo was a little shocked...and quite confused.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:39 pm

"Oh yeah? Yeah, he has always been up to the same old stuff... worries me some times, but he's all right."

By now, the guard had relaxed entirely, apparently rather glad to be able to loosen up a bit. "And, y'know, I might remember you after all. Never been good with names, but I never forget a face. And for some reason, your face is stickin' out somewhere in my mind."

He chuckled slightly. "Ah, man, you know I always wanted to be a guard. The pay's good, keeps the city safe, and aside from that whole thing with Malachias a few years back, everything's been nice 'n quiet."

When given the offer of drink, the guard perked up a bit. "I'd love one right now... but I'm stuck here for about an hour or so longer, until my replacement comes and takes over my shift here. 's boring as hell work, you know. All we've pretty much done is insured that this stand remains completely untouched, so all of the dead guy's crap is still here.
Not like anyone's going to bother with a dead man's things, know what I mean?"

"No, Kumo... it's not my birthday. In fact... I dunno when my birthday actually is." The figure paused and scratched its head briefly. "No matter, that's not what we're here for.

I did have something I wanted to ask you, though. Do you still have that comic I dropped? The one with the green-haired catgirl? Always was my favorite..."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:07 pm

Greg puts on a look of surprise, as he responds to his old friend.

"A dead guy? Wait, someone was killed here? What happened?"

Next

Return to Gaera Main RPs