Murder in the Dark

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Murder in the Dark

Unread postby Kelne » Tue May 25, 2004 5:27 am

Doma City, almost a world apart from the surrounding lands. A hub of commerce, and a veritable melting pot, people of all races and nationalities pass through its gates.

In order to provide accommodation to all these visitors, numerous inns can be found scattered throughout the city. Ranging in quality from seedy dives to small mansions, most do a thriving trade. If nothing else, there's always the locals who come in for the atmosphere and a mug of ale.

On this particular night, the Strutting Chocobo, a fairly plain inn out on the outskirts of the city, was experiencing a quiet night. It being late evening, many people had retired to their rooms for the night, but a few still sat around the fire talking over their drinks.

Little did the inn's inhabitants realise that their peaceful evening was about to be shattered.

wkz

Re:Murder in the Dark

Unread postby wkz » Tue May 25, 2004 6:10 am

Dorian Shubat walked up the moonlit street. He had only just arrived at Doma City, and was looking for a place to stay for the night.

"Hmm... The Strutting Chocobo" Shubat thought to himself, somehow having a feeling the pub is more suited to him more so than the others. Yet he stood outside the pub for a while in the shadows, surveying the area with a piercing stare.

The cold finally got to him. "Guess I'll be using this pub" Shubat thought, as he prepared to enter "If the prices are reasonable... and the ale good..."

Seethe347

Re: Murder in the Dark

Unread postby Seethe347 » Wed May 26, 2004 1:37 am

Among those sitting around the fireplace was the nekojin girl named Brinala Aldring. She had arrived at the inn a few minutes earlier and was now working on recovering from a long day's travels with a pint of ale.

Currently, Brin was excited that she had at last made it to Doma City. She had been wanting to see the place for a long time, but had never had an excuse to come. Finally, though, she just packed up and made the trip. So far, she didn't think she would regret it.

wkz

Unread postby wkz » Wed May 26, 2004 2:00 am

Dorian entered, and stood in the doorway for a bit, taking in his surroundings. To one side, he could see a counter, behind which an elderly person (whom Dorian assumed is the owner of the place) was losing a fight with fatigue. In front of him was a fireplace and tables for the pub, while on the other side there were stairs leading upwards to the pub's rooms.

He also noticed the first nekojin person he had ever seen. "Hmm..." Dorian thought to himself "Just as the elders and the books described them. But that can wait, first my lodgings....". And he turned towards the napping person, rapping sharply on the counter.

SALSAlys

Intro of Jessamin

Unread postby SALSAlys » Wed May 26, 2004 12:29 pm

Soon after Dorian's entrance, a tall, lithe woman slipped in discreetly. Her flaming mass of copper-red hair had a wave and curl to it which caught the light, tied back in a high ponytail which cascaded down her back. Wearing loose, dark clothing which appeared designed primarily for comfort, a closer examination showed that the cut was such that in another color or with strategic trim, it could be flamboyantly eyecatching.

Across her chest she carried a set of knives, sheathed in carefully and with their wrapped handles. Despite the weaponry, though, she moved like no street tough— instead, her movements were more supple, almost feline. Cool green eyes surveyed the pub, and a careful observer could note that her pupils were slitted in a catlike fashion.

Been... a while. Not the best, but good, she thought, pausing in the doorway a moment before making her way to the bar. Last time I was here, I was with the rest of the circus troupe...

A wave of nostalgia hit her, making her swallow slightly before giving a brief smile to the bartender.

"Ale, please."

wkz

Meet the members.

Unread postby wkz » Thu May 27, 2004 2:36 pm

Dorian came down the stairs together with the owner, having just inspected the room he would be staying in. He haggled the price for a bit, then passed a coin both as acceptance of the price and down payment for the lodgings.

"Finally. Now for that drink." Dorian thought to himself, walking towards the bar. He motioned to the bartender his wish for a drink, and sat himself next to a fellow female patron.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri May 28, 2004 1:52 am

Jessamin found herself with a mug of ale in commendably short order, bestowed by a smiling barkeep. Dorian's took a little longer, possibly because he lacked the pretty woman advantage.

Some of the patrons turned to regard the new arrivals, with the exception of the four occupants of one table, who were engaged in low-voiced conversation.

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri May 28, 2004 8:08 am

Jessamin smiled back at the barkeep in thanks before wetting her lips upon the mug, then taking a long sip. Her throat welcomed the drink happily, and Jessamin felt rather more at home now with a drink inside of her.

She glanced about at the patrons who were eyeing her, taking note of any who seemed interesting.

wkz

Unread postby wkz » Fri May 28, 2004 11:18 am

Dorian was NOT eyeing Jessamin. Instead he was observing the only nekojin in the room. Although most people would disagree with "observing", and say Doarian was flat out staring.

He took a mouthful from his cup, his eyes not leaving his target...

Seethe347

Unread postby Seethe347 » Sat May 29, 2004 2:27 am

After swallowing the last of her ale, Brin yawned, feeling sleepy. Deciding to get one more drink before retiring to her room, she stood and walked towards the bar. On the way, she noticed that one of the other patrons was now staring at her. He must have shown up fairly recently.

Men had stared at her when she had first come in, so this one would probably stop eventually. On the other hand, the others hadn't stared as openly as this guy. This one must have been a perv or something. Hmm... would she mind if he were a perv? ... Yes! Yes she would! ... Well, maybe not... As long as he was at least mindful of his gas... Now why would she think of that? Whatever.

She finally decided to just go on up to the bar, get her drink, and let the guy decide for himself whether he was going to make a move or not. And that's just what she did.

Seethe347

Unread postby Seethe347 » Mon May 31, 2004 1:16 pm

(OOC: I'm going to have to take this character temporarily out of action while I'm away. So...)

Actually, it's not what Brinala did. As soon as she reached the bar, she thought of something. Her spellbook. Had she brought it? She didn't remember for sure.

"Dammit," she said aloud, then darted for the stairs up to her room.

wkz

Unread postby wkz » Mon May 31, 2004 10:55 pm

Robbed of the target of his attention, Dorian looked around the bar. Sitting next to him was a lithe woman. In a glance, he noticed the set of knives bound across the chest.

"Nice pieces" he commented. The words had barely left the mouth when he remembered not everyone outside the temple was a warrior, expecially not women. That phase could be taken wrongly...

(OOC: are they throwing knifes or something?)

SALSAlys

GM? Where's our GM?

Unread postby SALSAlys » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:36 pm

Jessamin blinked, glancing back at Dorian. There was a rather chill silence for a few moments as she looked at him, green eyes unblinking. Then she spoke, voice soft and rich.

"My... 'pieces', as you put it, are nice."

She judged from his body language that he wasn't meaning any innuendo, but that slight gaffe still made her disinclined to speak with him.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:09 am

The bartender actually placed his face in his hand and sighed at Dorian's actions. How did such people even survive to reach maturity? If he was like this sober, gods alone knew what he'd be like drunk.

And so it was that Dorian became the first person in the inn's history to have his alcohol cut off before he'd even finished his first ale.

Meanwhile, a fist banged down on one of the tables by the fire, occupied by four slightly disreputable-looking characters.

"I'll hear no more talk of curses," the banger said, loudly enough to be heard across the room. He was a tall, broad-shouldered man, with a patch over one of his eyes. He glared at the rest of the people at his table, daring them to say a word.

"Mock if you will, Kreuger, but it is a year to the day since we slew the vampire," another of the men said, his voice carrying in the sudden silence that permeated the room, "He said that on this very night he would return for his revenge."

"He also said that he was immune to everything we did to him!" Kreuger snapped angrily.

The voices were lowered once more as the four men continued their conversation. Those paying attention might have noted Kreuger rolling his eye, plainly dissatisfied with the continued talk of curses.

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:08 am

Jessamin pursed her lips, as she couldn't help overhearing the men. Her attention was diverted to them, and she measured what she had heard.

Not of daemonic origin, perhaps, so it does not concern my Lord....

Even so, Jessamin found herself listening in, ale mug cupped in her hands as she waited for a pause in their conversation before smoothly rising and walking over.

"I beg pardon," she began, voice soft, but not shy. "But I couldn't help overhearing you. If I may ask, under what circumstances was this vampire killed?"

wkz

Unread postby wkz » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:30 am

Dorian winced as he drank in the mud-flavored brackish well-water. It served to quench his thirst, and nothing else. Well, it was the rules of the place, or so the bartender said, so he continued to drain his cup in small, manageable sips.

Dorian was also interested in the conversations of the men at the table, some adversary of evil. However, the target of his earlier blunder had joined them, and he wisely choose not to approach for the moment, but instead to try and unobtrusively catch the conversation from where he was sitting.

Then again, his old habit of "looking as if he was staring" reasserted itself....

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

A Tale of Five Heroes

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:05 pm

"The tale goes back to a year ago," the man who had been talking about the curse said, seeming to appreciate a new audience. For his part, the eyepatch man sighed in resignation and focused on his ale.

"There had been reports of a vampire terrorising a small village down south. Five of us answered the call to deal with it." Jessamin could see that there was an extra chair at the table, with a half full mug of ale in front of it. Presumably the fifth member of the group had popped out for a minute.

"Since everyone knows that vampires are naturally attracted to girls in skimpy nightdresses," the speaker continued, "What we did was -" He caught the glare of liquid death being bestowed upon him by a skinny man sitting opposite. "Er, we set a trap. The details aren't really important."

Dorian, meanwhile, heard someone sitting down next to him, "A nice view indeed," came a voice from his right, "Of course, if you don't keep your eyes inside your head, you're liable to lose them." If Dorian cared to tear his eyes away from the table for a moment, he would see an elderly, bald man in rather scruffy black robes.

SALSAlys

Re: A Tale of Five Heroes

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:42 pm

Girls in skimpy nightdresses?

Jessamin seemed merely amused, a faint smile playing at the corners of her lips.

Wonder if any crossdressing was involved.

"I take it that your trap was successful, then? Only... perhaps not quick enough to avoid exchanging words with this vampire?" she asked, leaning forward slightly. A few locks of hair shaded her eyes, masking their slitted pupils slightly as she kept her gaze on the story-teller's face.

wkz

A Tale of one old man

Unread postby wkz » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:15 am

"A nice view indeed. Of course, if you don't keep your eyes inside your head, you're liable to lose them."

Dorian stopped his evesdropping and turned around to face the speaker. He found himself looking at an elderly, bald man in rather scruffy black robes. Dorian did not know what to make of the old man, and it took him a bit of time before he replied: "And if I may, Sir, I would like to ask: for what reason would you threaten me thus? And also, I would like to inform you I am not even staring..."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Re: A Tale of Five Heroes

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:42 am

The old man raised a single eyebrow, before bursting out laughing. "Kid, you were staring as if you'd never even seen a woman before." He continued, chuckling, "Now some of them will tolerate that, to an extent, but sooner or later, someone's going to take it personally. Like I said, learn to be a bit less obvious, or you're going to lose something."

"Pretty much, yeah," the storyteller said cheerfully, "We lured him into the room alright, but he twigged that something was up and went right back out the window again. Fortunately, Kreuger here managed to hold him up until the rest of us could get down."

"There followed an epic battle with many cunning ploys on both sides."

"Throwing birdseed at him wasn't a ploy. It was madness," remarked the glarer.

"Well, it should have worked. Vampires are obsessive compulsive. He should've had to stop what he was doing and pick it all up."

"Remind me again why we ever listen to you?"

Taking this as a rhetorical question, the storyteller continued, "Anyway, we got him in the end. But before Don lopped his head off," he motioned to the glarer, "he said that even though we struck him down, he would return more powerful than ever. And that he would have his revenge upon us in a year's time."

"They all say that, Zinar," Kreuger said, "Besides, we cut his head off. People don't come back from that."

"Well, yes, but still..." Zinar shrugged, expressing his continuing misgivings.

SALSAlys

SOMEONE'S been reading Pratchett.

Unread postby SALSAlys » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:33 pm

Birdseed?

Jessamin did her best to keep a look of polite bafflement on her face instead of amusement.

"I have no experience with vampires, but I doubt you'd need to worry."

A vampire defeated by fellows who think they could fling BIRDSEED at him... Technically I'M undead, and I may be anal at times, but not THAT badly.

"From the sounds of it, you've done a pretty thorough job," she added with a smile at them, not allowing her own thoughts to reach her smile— though her eyes glinted slightly with humor that Jessamin hoped they would take for interest. "I think your friend— Mister Kreugar?— is correct that you don't need to worry."

Nothing informative, but at least a bit interesting, she decided.

wkz

What's Pratchett?

Unread postby wkz » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:25 am

"Thank you, kind sir, for your advice." Dorian said "I see my old habit has come back to haunt me. I would strive to contain it..." He had obviously associated the old man with the descriptions "Old" and "Wise". And in Dorian's dictionary, those two words command a LOT of respect.

"May I have your name, sir?"

TheLorax21

Unread postby TheLorax21 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:11 pm

Elyssa entered the Strutting Chocobo as quietly as possible, trying not to call attention to herself or disturb the other customers.

Ah, finally, I can sleep in a real bed, at least for a night or two. I might even get some real food...no more of that horrible stale traveler's bread.

She sat gratefully at an unoccupied table and dropped her bags with visible relief. She reached into a messenger bag and transferred a few gil from an inside pocket of the bag to a pocket in her long skirt, the hem of which was dusty from traveling. Once the transfer of coins was complete, she poked around in the pocket she had taken the coins from and straightened, satisfied.

Hmmn. I have enough money to stay comfortably in Doma for a few days. I can always pick up some more outside the city, away from the watchful eyes of the Doman Gaurds.

Elyssa brushed shoulder length reddish brown hair back from her heart-shaped face and listened around the room to see if there were any interesting conversations taking place.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

What's Pratchett?! Infidel!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:25 am

"See? Nothing to worry about," Kreuger said emphatically, "Now drop it."

"Alright, alright, already," Zinar said, "Just don't blame me if we're all murdered in our beds." He took a brief look at the empty place at the table, "I wonder what's keeping Nev..."

"We all know that there's no chance of Nev being murdered in his own bed," Kreuger said, "He'll show up. Probably tomorrow."

Over at the desk, a woman took a room key from the innkeep and headed upstairs.

"Me?" the old man asked self-deprecatingly, "I'm Tani Wha. And yourself?"

wkz

Re: What's Pratchett?! Infidel!

Unread postby wkz » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:52 am

"I am Dorian Shubat" said Dorian to the old man. He turned his head towards the group Jessamin was with.

"Interesting story, is it not?" he remarked.

Seethe347

Unread postby Seethe347 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:26 pm

After reaching her room, Brinala frantically searched for her spellbook. She had better have brought it, she thought. Otherwise... well... it would just be really inconvenient. And so, she looked through the drawers, in the closet, and under the bed until she finally found it laying on top of the desk. With a sigh of relief, She picked the thing up and hugged it tightly.

"I thought I'd lost you," she said to the book. "Don't ever do that to me again! Thank Ishtar and Primaer and all the gods that you are safe."

She then tossed it onto the bed and strolled out of the room. When the book hit the bed, it bounced and fell over the far edge, down into the small space between the bed and the wall.

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:43 am

Jessamin nodded briefly, nursing her ale.

"Thank you for talking with me," she spoke, favoring the four men with a brief, though dazzling smile. Its warmth and sparkle were more habitual than anything felt, but she was a good actor. "Though if I may ask, were you supposed to meet with your friend— Nev?— here?"

TheLorax21

Unread postby TheLorax21 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:25 pm

Elyssa caught bits and pieces of the conversation about vampires. It sounded interesting, but long hours of travel started to catch up with her and she began to drift off to sleep.

Vampires...that sounds...rather interesting. I should get some tea...or something. Maybe it would be better to just...get a...room...and go to...sleep.

Elyssa drifted off to sleep right there at the table, completely oblivious to her surroundings, one hand over her bag.

wkz

Unread postby wkz » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:13 pm

Dorian caught himself staring at Jessamin once more, and broke off his glance. He took another sip from the cup of well-water.

"Gah, this place sure has wierd rules...", he remarked to himself as he reached the bottom of his cup, but in a whisper loud enough for others to hear...

Hanyou chick

Unread postby Hanyou chick » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:13 am

Suka was walking down the road. She had finally made it to Doma City! Her pointed fox ears waved in the wind as she heard a stream of voices from the tavern. In she walked, hoping that the people in here would not treat hanyou as badly as they did in Sheal'd.

She sidled up to the barkeeper, and asked if they had anything that wasn't alchaholic.
"What do you think this is! The only thing we don't serve is hanyou..."

Suka's face fell... I guess that they have the same standards everywhere... Image *sigh* she went over, to sit in a chair with a broken back, in the corner. Faint strains of conversation entered her ears. A vampire, ehh? I hope they don't have some crazy obsession with killing mythical beings! Image

Edited by: Hanyou chick at: 8/15/05 12:39

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:45 pm

(See this? This is an RP that has a year and two months gap between posts. It is very likely a dead RP. Please check the post dates in the future, and confer with an RP's GM [Usually the first poster] before diving into a game. You can do that in the OOC section, or try to find them on AIM. Welcome to RPGWW and all.)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=besyanteo@rpgww60462>Besyanteo</A]&nbsp; Image at: 8/15/05 13:46

Return to Gaera Main RPs