Voyage to the Ice Continent

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Voyage to the Ice Continent

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:13 am

It was a fine day in the port city of Kohlingen. As always, the city was a bustle of activity. Ships docked here from all over Igala and beyond.

There were several ships berthed at the docks, loading and unloading cargo. But the activity around one seemed particularly intense. Today was the day the Starling departed on a voyage for Hastel. There was, naturally, a fair bit of interest from the locals. After all, it wasn't often that someone set off to explore the icy continent. Still, on the face of it, there wasn't much to be seen. Just an ordinary crew going about their business. Consequently, most observers moved on after a few minutes.

All that they were waiting on now were a few final supplies to be loaded aboard, and the arrival of the last of the crew.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Re: Voyage to the Ice Continent

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:26 am

One of those to arrive was Ake Tanner, martial artist. Carrying a bizarrely clumsy load of packages, he boarded the boat and looked around. "This is the, uh, Starling, right?" He shifted his load around, grabbing his rolled-up meditation rug in his armpit. "I'd better go find Jaskin..."

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:29 pm

Another of the crew of this voyage, one Yan Yan Xue, had already been there for several hours. She looked quite out of place for an explorer, with her short-cropped hair, flowing silken robes, and white porcelain mask. She sat motionless atop her bag, careful to avoid letting any of her overly ornate robes come into contact with the deck.

Speaking of her bag, she seemed somewhat...ill prepared for such a journey. Of course, provisions would be provided for them, but all that could be seen in her bag was a sleeping roll, a lantern, a change of clothing or two, and a bundle of rope. Her clothing certainly didn't seem warm enough for this particular excursion.

It didn't seem to bother her much.

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:38 pm

A third member of the crew had been there for perhaps half an hour. He considered himself lucky to have an opportunity like this. Surely, at least in his view, most people that had even his somewhat wing-like arm structure would probably have been turned down, let alone his beak and the crest on the back of his skull.

It had been a bit of a pain for Devast Bancora to prepare for the journey. Just getting the clothing he needed was the biggest hassle by far - after all, his arm structure meant most shirts or jackets would restrain full movement of his arms. Besides a couple of sets of clothing, though, the only things that could be seen in his bag were a bedroll, a couple of containers about the size of an average flask, and some bandages. Speaking of the bag, Devast had had to readjust the leather straps so that he could wear it comfortably. Essentially, the adjustments meant he was carrying it via a harness looped over his shoulders and between his legs.

Having taken care of what he needed, Devast simply boarded the boat and proceeded to have a look around the main deck. He could look at the rest later.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:47 pm

A small, purple pack went whizzing past Ake's head, flying across the deck of the boat and skidding to a stop directly in front of the martial artist.

If he hadn't have shifted his weight literally seconds before that, and in turn caused his head to shift slightly to the right, he would have gotten a good smacking in the nogging by whatever resided in the confines of the bag.

"HOORAY!" A high-pitched, boyish voice accompanied the tossed bag, and now, a short, spiky-haired boy appeared at the top of the ladder to the ship. His short arms were stretched high above his blue-haired head, and his child-like face was twisted into some sort of almost intentionally ridiculous grin. He was wearing an olive green jacket, with a light green tunic (and a purple undershirt) underneath. He was wearing very light, breezy green pants, and didn't seem to be carrying any weapons with him. He eventually opened his deep blue eyes and looked around the ship, smiling at all his new crewmates.

"This is so great!" he lowered his arms, and began to walk forward to pick up his bag. "Boy, I really love riding on ships! I can't wait to go fishing and do all sorts of cool high-seas sorts of things like that!"

Changing the subject immediately, he swerved around to face the masked person, shoving out his small, soft, child-like hand. "My name is Molokidan S. Tunksuu!" he shouted happily. "It's a pleasure to meet you!"

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:10 pm

Yan Yan's expression was inscrutable under her mask. She looked at the boy's hand for a moment, then at the boy, then back to the hand, then back to the boy.

"I see." she said, in a noticeable Argovian accent, reaching out cautiously to shake his hand. "I am Yan Yan Xue."

Of course, upon coming in contact with her hand, Molokidan would have immediately noticed something peculiar. Her hand seemed to be...very cold. It was as if she had just come in from spending several hours outside in a blizzard. In fact, his own hand was starting to get a bit nippy.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:13 pm

Molokidan blinked for a second, hearing the person's voice, which he happily realized was one that could possibly belong to a cute girl! Molo happily shook her hand, then quickly drew it back, rubbing it unconsciously with his left hand.

His eyes did not waver from the masked girl in front of him. "It's nice to meet you, Yan!" he said happily. "Why did you decide to come on this trip?"

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:18 pm

"It's quite simple, really." she said with as much overdramatic flair as she could muster. "A powerful mage such as myself tires of teaching others eventually, you know."

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:26 pm

"Wow!" Molokidan's eyes immediately lit up. "You're a mage? No way!!" he jumped off the ground at this point, apparently excited at the new development. "Quick! Show me your best spell!! Come on, I really wanna see it!"

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:30 pm

Yan Yan stared at the boy as obliquely as possible.

"I could..." she said, "...but that wouldn't be particularly good for the condition of the boat."

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:38 pm

"Wow!!" Molokidan shouted, genuinely surprised. "So how strong are you? You can destroy an entire boat? Boy! I wonder if I'll even get to have a good fight on this trip...."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:14 pm

A hand came down on Molokidan's shoulder in an attempt to restrain him. "Settle down there, kid," Ake said, smiling sympathetically at Yan Yan from over Molokidan's shoulder.

"So are you both here for the expedition?"

(OOC: Cue Sriadi Sea Needles.

Only Molo knows what I'm talking about.)

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:19 pm

"Yeah!!" Molokidan swerved around suddenly, immediately forgetting about Yan.

He looked up at the martial artist who was currently gripping his shoulder, then turned to Devast, the wide grin still spread about his face. "I can't wait! This is gonna be so much fun! I've never been to an icy place before!"

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=molokidan>Molokidan</A]&nbsp; Image at: 2/22/05 22:20

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:26 pm

Devast glanced at the newcomer with more than a bit of suspicion. The martial artist didn't seem too bad, Yan looked only a little out of place, but this enthusiastic youngblood (young to Devast, anyhow) that had just arrived? Maybe a little too much.

But rather than deal harshly with the newcomer, Devast simply stood up and moved himself closer to the others. That was when he had heard Ake's question. So he answered, "I imagine they are. I mean, I know for a fact I am, and they're on the same boat, so it only makes sense."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:27 pm

Ake let Molokidan go. "This is gonna get really old, really fast," he mumbled. Then, audibly, "So how many more people are supposed to show up? Do we know?"

FlamingDeth

Cactuar of the ocean?!

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:22 am

"Considering that they certainly weren't done with interviews when I went in..." began the masked magician. "...then I'd say probably one more. Maybe two. But then, that's more because of how many people can go in a decent exploration party without becoming cumbersome than the interviews, I suppose."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:54 am

Around the group, the crew went about their preparations, a few of the older hands smiling at the enthusiasm of their youngest passenger. A final crate swung on board, guided down into the hold by several attentive crew members.

At the gangplank, as if in response to Xue's comment, another recruit made her way aboard. The elf swept her gaze across the deck, before heading over to join the gathering of landlubbers.

"Morning, all," she said, depositing her pack on the deck, and bestowing a cheerful grin on the others, "Nice day for setting out, at least."

Those who'd been keeping an eye out for their employer hadn't seen a sign of him so far. Either he was somewhere below, or he was still ashore.

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:56 am

Devast looked right at Molokidan.

"If only I could be that eager," Devast told him. "I had quite a hassle preparing for this trip, so once this boat sets sail I'm going to have to relax a bit."

Assuming they'll let me, Devast thought.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:51 am

Molokidan looked up at Devast quizzically. "Why did you need to come on the boat, mister?" he asked innocently. "I mean, can't you just fly over the ocean to wherever we need to go anyways?"

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:23 pm

After determining that this was a perfect time to not say anything at all, Yan Yan did exactly that. The elf was not, after all, even addressing her, and the daft reptile seemed to do a perfectly good job of getting the overenthusiastic youth to stop bothering her. All was well, for the moment.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:54 am

In the skies, a quick shadow passed over the boat. The first time it passed, it was quite quick. The second, slower. The third, even slower. Finally, whatever it was began diving, and diving fast. A blur of green was making it's way down, slowing as it fell, using it's green wings as a parachute.

Before it was too close (Yet certainly not as quickly as one would expect), it flipped, and landed on it's feet on the boat, with all the expertice of one who had made the landing before (Or been forced out of the sky their fair share of times).

Loake Raven Recht now stood on the boat, rubbing his legs a bit. His dress was casual- Simple brown boots and trousers, a green longsleeved shirt and a brown vest, the backs of which were altered to accomodate his green wings and draconic tail. His hair fell in a messy style, his bangs hanging down infront of his eyes a bit, while the back showed no order at all- And he made no effort to fix it. Instead, he looked around, unshouldering a satchel that presumably held his belongings. "So...Is this where the party's at?...Or did I get the wrong boat?"

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:57 am

"Ah, such a sad state of affairs, when a simple act of sarcasm is not recognized." responded Yan Yan, clearly overdramatizing the situation. "And while this would perhaps be an unusual arrangement of bakers, ships do have kitchens on them, with metal stoves surrounded by masonry to keep the rest of the craft from heating too much. That should be common knowledge."

She shrugged. "You aren't too bright, are you?"

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=flamingdeth>FlamingDeth</A] at: 2/24/05 5:16

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:32 am

"You seem to be mistaken." responded Yan Yan, peering through her mask, her accent still readily apparent. "There is no party here. We are but lowly traveling bakers, trying to make a living in the harsh world of the high seas. It is very difficult, I assure you."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:49 am

Loake looked at Yan Yan for a moment, then jerked a thumb at Devast. "'Telling me that that guys a baker? And the kid? And you, stone face? Ain't gonna be good bakers on a ship, anyway. They tend to, y'know, catch on fire when you try and bake on them."

He shrugged. "You ain't too bright, are you?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:26 am

"No, I got it." Loake replies, giving the woman a sideways glance. "It just sucked. And yeah, I know about that stuff. If you had any intelegence, you'd know I know. Hell, do you even know who I am?"

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:33 am

"Actually, if I had any intelligence, I would likely be ignoring you." responded the Argovian. "However, since I apparently don't, I'll likely continue sitting here and hurling petty insults at you. It seems to be the popular thing to do, after all."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:03 am

"One person doesn't make something popular, y'know. And wearing a goofy looking mask doesn't make you look any better, either." Loake states, matter-of-factly.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:01 am

Molokidan stood and watched the two exchange dialogue, the bulk of the sarcasm flying right by him. At the moment, he was quite confused. And it wasn't even from listening to them speak...

"Hey!!" he suddenly shouted, pointing one of his short arms out at Loake. "Yeah, I'm asking you! Why the heck did you come down on this boat when you could have flown to the island all by yourself!! Are you trying to make fun of us like this guy!?!" he said, using his other arm to point to Devast.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:13 pm

"That was sarcasm again. You know, that thing that you claim to understand?"

She looked over Loake. "...you, of course, being the expert at looking good."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:05 pm

Ake sighed and shook his head. "I'm glad we're all such a naturally perfect team," he said. "No one here's seen Mr. Jaskin around, have they?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:42 am

"Well, this is going to be an interesting trip," the elf murmured, apparently to herself. Oddly enough, she didn't seem all that bothered by the budding personality clashes.

Meanwhile, a bit of a commotion on the docks caught several peoples' attention. Those glancing dockwards would see Jaskin approaching the ship, looking rather hard done by. The reason for this expression was immediately apparent.

It was difficult to make out exactly what the somewhat scruffy old man pacing him was saying, but a few of the louder proclamations got through. Something about Things Men Should Not Disturb and the Ice Continent being His Doom. From the looks of it, he'd been going on like this for quite a while now.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:40 pm

"That answers my question," Ake mumbled.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:02 pm

Yan Yan remained motionless for the moment. There was, after all, nothing that demanded her attention at the moment, and she didn't want to miss a chance to hear another one of the idiot's horrible attempts at a witty retort.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:30 am

Molokidan, his 3-second attention span having dried up, began to wander across the ship, looking for a the first sailor or shipmate who made eye contact with him. "Hey!" he shouted out, randomly. "How long is this boat ride gonna take, anyway? I'm too excited to wait for a month or something like that!"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:52 am

"Oh, there's bound to be something you can occupy yourself with during the trip," the elf remarked in response to Molokidan's hyperactivity, "That's always been my experience, at least."

Jaskin, for his part, had reached the gangplank and firmly blocked the old man's path, "Look, Mr... Jaspers, wasn't it? I appreciate the warnings," he said, clearly lying through his teeth, "But I'm going anyway, and there's nothing you can do to change my mind."

"You'll rue the day. Rue!" Jaspers announced, a manic gleam shining in his eyes. Jaskin simply shook his head and traversed the gangplank, muttering about crazy old lunatics. His face brightened a bit at seeing that everyone had arrived.

"Well, then, people, good to see you all made it. I take it you've handled the introductions on your own?"

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:18 pm

Devast paid Molokidan's earlier question little mind. To him, a question like that had two obvious answers, and anyone that didn't know both of them was an idiot.

He did, however, look to Jaskin when the question of introductions came up. "As best as could be asked," he answered. "Though might I ask what's with the old freak that kept following you?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:04 pm

"Just one of the local crazies, so far as I can tell," Jaskin said, "He seems to have gotten wind of the expedition somehow and decided to rant at me about it."

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:33 pm

"So what kind of monsters live in the ice place?" Molokidan offered another question up suddenly. "What kinda powers do they have?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:00 pm

Loake was quick to rub his face, trying to block out Molokidan as best he could. "No one said anything about monsters, or powers, or anything. There MIGHT be something there, I'd guess, but they might just be animals. Calm down, kid."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:01 pm

"Not much idea on that front," Jaskin said, "Beyond the dragons, we don't know much about the continent's inhabitants at all. People agree that there are other creatures, but there's no real record of what they are."

Next

Return to Gaera Main RPs