The Baron Breakdown: Den of Thieves.

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
The Great Nevareh

The Baron Breakdown: Den of Thieves.

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:52 pm

The rumors spread like aching, burning wildfire. Then again, when a rumor as juicy as this hits the streets, why wouldn't it spread like... well, aching burning wildfire?

It seems... that Baron's secret is out.
What secret, exactly?
What secret would be so juicy, so bitterly well-kept, and so astoundingly and beautifully worthwhile that no one would ever suspect that it was a secret at all?

Of course, there are many answers to this question. Most of them, of course, make no sense. And they probably have something to do with being related to a god.

No, this has to do with the greatest secret that Baron has managed to hide from the prying eyes of all other nations for as long as anyone cares to remember.
The secret... of the airship.

The rumor, of course, doesn't say anything about airships at all. That part is speculation.
Well, let's see how people feel after the rumor is related.
It goes as such:

On a dark night, not too long ago, a nondescript part of Castle Baron was broken into and robbed. No one publicly acknowledges what was taken from that part of the castle, but the fact that the castle was robbed is a given.
And that the thief wasn't a very talented one was also a given. Since they managed to set half of that part of the castle on fire in order to secure an escape.
Everyone denies that it was an attack, and the authorities are looking for a thief, but no one is quite sure what was stolen.

This, alone, doesn't hint at all about what might have been stolen. But, two other bits of information might shed some light on what really happened.

Earlier that day, a castle employee whose title is only mentioned as "Curator" was mugged on his way back home from work.

and...

Baron is currently hosting the deliberations as to who will host the next Igalan Thaumaturgical Contest. Hence, many foreign dignitaries and nobles are currently visiting the city.

So, what would be housed in a nondescript part of one of the most secure places in the castle that foreign powers might want, and someone who has a job as a caretaker of antiquities would have access to? Of course, the only answer that most of the public can come up with is the secret of the airship.

Two weeks into the search, after the rumors broke out and the situation assessed, a call goes out in the shadier elements of Baron city... A call for comrades for a carefully orchestrated plot that might just land all involved with the purse of a whole noble house.

Coincidence? Who knows?

FlamingDeth

Re: The Baron Breakdown: Den of Thieves.

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:38 am

It was a slow day in the downtrodden, ignored slums of Baron. So slow, in fact, that a petty criminal by the name of Mae Odelia had started hoping that the big to-do at the castle had distracted the guards to the point that they had completely forgotten about her. To think that just a few days beforehand, she was the one being pursued, for the tiny crime of knocking out the son of a nobleman (or so he said, she actually just drank him under the table at a bar) and making off with his money pouch (which she was in fact guilty of).

Not that it helped her now, as she sat in one of the more heavily ignored rooms in one of the more heavily ignored buildings. She was intending to just leave town with the tidy sum of money she had gotten from the man, but with all the wild and crazy antics going on, she doubted they'd let just anyone out of the city gates for some time yet. As such, the tattoo covered succubus waited, keeping an eye out for ways to keep herself busy.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:37 am

<span style="color:blue;">Down the street, near to Mae, walked a respectable looking man, jeweled hands, goldtrimmed robes, snooty demeanor, and a rather full money sack. If you were a thief like Daenj'r Tymisonn, you'd think he deserved it too.

Carefully positioning himself where the mark could see him, but not think he was placing himself there deliberately, Dae began a coughing spell, clutching his torn jacket, doubling over. He even opened that old wound in his cheek, and spat up blood. Once he was sure his target had noticed him, he crumpled, and fell to the ground.

The rich man, being respectable and all, rushed to the young man's aid, helping him to his feed. "My goodness, my boy, are you all right? You look positively dreadful..."

"Yeah, I'm... just a little sick..." Dae croaked, trying to sound as froggy as he could. "Been a while since I've had something to eat..."

"Oh, you poor child! Here!" With that, he pressed some Baronian zaste into his hand. "Go, buy yourself some food."

"Thank you sir, I... " Dae looked down at his feet, looking sad.

"What is it, my boy?"

"Well, it's just... my little brother..." With a look of determination, he looked the man in the eye. "He'll appreciate the meal, sir. Thank you."

The man realized he'd only given Daenj'r enough for one meal, or two paltry ones. And this brave boy was going to give it all to his brother. How noble. "Here, son, have some more," he said, pressing more zante into his hand. "And Ishtar bless you."

Daenj'r didn't know what to say. Well, he did, it's just that he had to LOOK like he didn't. He hugged the man about the waist, saying, "Thank you sir. Ishtar bless you as well." He broke the embrace, let the man nod and bow and get out of sight, and check his haul.

A bunch of the man's rings, the coins he'd actually taken from him, and his moneysack.

Daenj'r chuckled to himself. "What a dumbass..."</span>

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:39 am

'Carim, why don't we have answers yet?' The older man was impatient, anxious for anything good he could tell the royals and their lapdogs regarding the recent crime. He had had very little sleep ever since the incident, and was understandibly highstrung. Given that, Carim decided to approach the conversation in as delicate a manner as possible.

'Sir, there simply aren't any forthcoming from our current investigations. Our men on the street aren't coming up with anything, either. If you could just get the dignitaries' immunity suspended, I really think we might have a better chance of finding the guilty party among them.'

'You have no idea, do you Carim?' The other man's temper began to slip its reigns. 'You really don't understand exactly what would happen were we to do that! Comprehend this - remove diplomatic immunity, and we create a diplomatic disaster in its place. Every single foreign power would be antagonised by such an action. Baron values its allies, and certainly doesn't need to make enemies.'

'I comprehend that, sir. I just don't -'

'Care, I know. You just don't care!' He thumped his fist hard on his desk, and then did his best to hide the fact that he wished he hadn't. 'The whole country could go to the dogs, as long as you get your man. That's just like you, Carim.'

Carim maintained a carefully blank face.

'Actually, sir, if you'd have let me finish, I was going to say that I just don't think foreign diplomats should be exempted from the laws of the country they are visiting. Do we give the same benefit to people visiting Baron for other purposes? In my experience those latter individuals tend to be a more respectable bunch anyway.'

Simmering still, Colonel Kae sat and put his head in his hands.

'Mmph. You may be right, Carim, but that doesn't mean the choice is yours to make. For now, keep following any leads we have already.'

Nodding, Carim saluted, and turned to leave.

'Keep me informed, will you? Of everything.'

A pause.

'Everything important, sir.'

It was only after Carim had made a swift exit that the colonel realised precisely how ambiguous that response, when given by Carim of all people, had been. But then, as Carim was thinking to himself at precisely the same time, they'd known eachother for a long time. The Colonel should have known better.

Edited by: Blaze Yamato Spirit at: 8/23/04 11:44 am

The Great Nevareh

Short but sweet...

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:21 pm

Mae:
In the midst of her simmering alone in her room and speculating as to what may or may not take place involving the "manhunt" with her as the target, a knock comes onto her door. Not the knock of "Open up, we're the police!", more of a knock of "Well, hello there! Why don't you open this door so we can chat about something juicy that I just came along."

On the other side of the door is a woman who is one of the most stiking and handsome women that humanity has ever produced... under the makeup, the hood, the hat, the baggy clothes, the robe, the false nose, the eyepatch, the wig, and the body pads, that is. Though the demoness might recognize her acquaintance in this garb, just because Mae's seen Nevareh like this as often as she's seen Nevareh without a disguise at all.

And, of course, Mae knows only one person who can knock exactly like that, with just the right inflection of "You won't regret opening this door" and just a hint of "Or I could pick the lock. So, it's just a matter of time before I get in."

Daenj'r:
As Daenj'r counts his spoils, he notices something rather odd: someone who is covered almost entirely in dark clothes that walks with the upright, regal countenance of a noble. Someone looks like they're slumming. This person ducks into an alley and makes for a building that looks extremely inconspicuous. Perhaps some more money could be made, since this person obviously wants not to be recognized.

Edited by: The Great Nevareh&nbsp; Image at: 8/24/04 8:46 pm

GC130A

Unread postby GC130A » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:48 pm

It was a name that would be feared by all, a name to which strong men would tremble, a name that would be more fearsome than any pitlord's. Someday, it would be a name known across the multiverse, one to be respected by the gods themselves.

Or maybe just laughed at by most people who heard it. That was one of the biggest reasons the one Winfred Whybrew often went by other aliases, ones that sounded much more dashing than the one his parents had given him. And where was this man, who was destined for so much greatness? (Or so he hoped?)

On the streets of the marketplace, hauling a bag full of spell components. Wiping the sweat off his brow, he mumbled and grumbled about the stupid old man who had made him shop for newt's tails, cobwebs, mold that only grew on soybeans, newspapers from 1301, powdered peas and bits of horse hoof.

He had the faint suspicion that the components were going to end up as dinner.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Re: .

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:28 pm

And, as Winfred walked down the street, he may have noticed a young girl in white pass by. She was short, maybe 4 foot two inches, and her dress was just that- a dress, with a lining of red triangles along the edges. She watched the world with a pair of unnaturally blue eyes, and her short brown hair was tied back into a ponytail for the time being. She tried to slip through the crowds as quickly as possible, though gracefully enough to not bump into anyone- She didn't like making too big a spectacle of herself, she hated the attention.

Nezetta Corradino, ward of the collective staff of Squall Castle, white mage in training, and one of two non-humans documented in Barius- though the general public wasn't aware of that. Someday, she might make a great soldier under the command of a great general- But for now, she was just Nezetta- Accompanying King Lezone on a trip to Baron to learn more about the world, and...Give her a chance to take her true shape to avoid a decent into insanity.

However, for now, she was content to wandering the streets, marveling in the fact that there was a major city, yet no rain, snow, or sleet- She knew they existed, but hadn't seen anything like it before.

FlamingDeth

Re: Short but sweet...

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:22 pm

"Why hello there!" said Mae, opening the door. "Why don't you come in."

The succubus returned to her previous seat. While she was perfectly conent with sitting there and pondering, she also knew that Nevareh coming to find her most likely meant that there was the potential to get into a much greater amount of trouble, and possibly come out of the situation with some sort of monetary benefit.

"I'd offer you a drink, but at the moment I'm down to rainwater. What brings you to this part of town?"

The Great Nevareh

Yes, what brings me, indeed?

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:43 pm

Nevareh takes out two bottles of something with the color and clarity of Brandy and offers one to the Succubus.
"I have arrived to bring you good spirits, of course. Oh, and a personal invitation into a certain scheme I thought up. How do you feel about getting rich today? This might be my big break."

Nevareh then sits down on the floor, tossing back the hood and uncorking one of the bottles of Brandy. She smiles her customary smile, and proceeds to ramble a bit.
"I have to warn you right now that we might end up having a guest. A grifter down in the street. I tried to look like a good mark trying very hard not to look like a good mark. And for what I'm planning, I need as many skilled people as I can get my hands on. Which is why I've come a-calling." She then puts the bottle to her lips and tosses her head back, gulping down some of the liquid.
"Whaddaya think? You can hole up in my place for a bit, and with one of my disguises no police will even recognize you. "

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: Yes, what brings me, indeed?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:28 pm

<span style="color:blue;">Daenj'r thought hard. Am I gonna be greedy? After just fleecing a guy for a bundle, am I gonna go after another one so fast?

... yes. Yes I am.
With that, Dae started after the new mark. This one he was just gonna mug...</span>

FlamingDeth

Re: Short but sweet...

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:16 pm

"Trying to get out of the small time, huh? Well, I suppose that you can't just go tricking the little people forever. Before long, there won't be any more gullible peons left, you know!" smiled Mae sarcastically, whilst simultaneously uncorking the wonderous gift of alcohol.

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot..." said the demoness. She twitched her vestigial wings. "...though I'm sure you'll understand if I want to know more before actually committing myself to anything. We don't want a repeat of that time you tried to raid the back of a jewelry shop while having me distract the shopkeep by trying to convince him that the pyrite I had was honest to Ishtar gold. That didn't turn out very well at all, even my superb natural charisma couldn't salvage that."

"...before I ramble us both into old age, what sort of plan do you have now that requires so many...er...professional opportunists?"

The Great Nevareh

Exclamation!

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:34 am

"Oh, nothing much. Just the sale of fake airship plans to the highest foreign bidder. And I'm sorry, I was wrong. YOU should have robbed the back of the store while I tried to convince him it was gold."
She takes another swig of her brandy, relishing the taste. It's amazing how she never seems to be without hard liquor.
" I've already got a craftsman friend of mine drawing up the plans. Interesting fellow, totally mad. Warren Kane's his name. Having him do it as an 'intellectual exercise.'"
Nevareh then adopts a low tone of voice as she says the next thing:
"Okay, you ready to scare the bollocks off a grifter? If he's followed me this far, then he might have other things on his mind then a simple beg-and-snag. I say we have some fun with him. How about you?"

FlamingDeth

Interogative?

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:21 pm

"Warren Kane...can't say I've heard of him." said Mae, Between drinks. "Sounds entertaining, though! I would guess that you need as many people as possible to pose as interested parties, or possibly people who could vouch for the validity of these wonderful, wonderful plans?"

"Yeah, why not!" Mae said, in a lowered voice. "Have anything specific in mind for him?"

GC130A

Ellipsis...

Unread postby GC130A » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:35 pm

Winfred did indeed notice the little girl walking along the street. In fact, smiling pleasantly, he called her over.

"Hey, little one! Would you mind giving me a hand with this, it's... a lot heavier than it looks. ^_^;;" He patted the large sack of components to indicate what he was talking about.

Shinigori V2

Re: Ellipsis...

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:18 am

Nezetta paused and looked over the man who had called her- Her, of all people- To help him. She didn't look remarkably strong in any way, shape, or form. Though she decided to put that aside for now, as she silently walked t'wards the man to assess what she could assist him with.

The Great Nevareh

Hmmm...

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:01 pm

" I dunno. Maybe you could go all demonic on him. Hmmm... got any knives? I can be pretty scary with a knife. Taking his sweet time, though. Maybe he isn't coming."
Nevareh thinks for a moment, then yawns and pulls out a small-caliber firearm from the recesses of her clothes. These are at least somewhat illegal for commoners to own, yet she insists on owning one. And she's only grown more fond of it over time, despite (or perhaps because of) the fact that she has never fired it.
It looks incredibly well-maintained.

"Well, if he doesn't come up, that spoils our fun, then, doesn't it? It would have been nice to mug a grifter. They're all soft, anyway. If he doesn't arrive, then I guess we just get piss-drunk and then wake up tomorrow with awful headaches."

GC130A

(octopus)

Unread postby GC130A » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:51 pm

Winfred put down the sack with a sigh of relief. "Thanks a bundle! Now, can you take this to fourty-one Taluta street? I'll give you, um, ten zante and a lollipop if you do!"

Should little Nezetta try to lift it, she would find that it was actually lighter than it looked, and that she could carry it with little trouble.

Shinigori V2

Re: (octopus)

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:12 pm

Nezetta looked at Winfred rather blankly for a moment, as if trying to decide if he was serious, then shook her head, picked up the package, and waited for Winfred to begin moving first. She had no idea where she was going- She'd have to follow him, if anything. Though would she tell him as much? Not quite yet.

GC130A

Unread postby GC130A » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:37 pm

Winfred scrutinized Nezetta, wondering what the problem was. A proverbial lightbulb lit above his head and he clapped his hands.

"Oh, new to town, are you? Well... follow the bouncing ball!" He pointed off to her left. In that direction was a rubber ball. It was bouncing the same height on each rebound, so it was pretty obviously not an ordinary bouncing ball that you follow.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:54 am

Nezetta looked in the direction she was referred to, then went cock-eyed as she had seen the ball- No one in Barius would dream of doing anything that stupid. She looked back to Winfred with the same expression, and said her first word to him, quietly, but just loud enough so he could hear it.

"...What?"

The Great Nevareh

Octopus?

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:09 am

To Nezetta's surprise, none of the town guard, who seem to be more prevalent than they were when she first arrived, give Winifred a second glance. It might be a trick that the sunlight is playing on her eyes, but the guard and policemen seem to be more interested in watching the crowd for pickpockets than some small magic tricks.

Perhaps as a staccato punctuation of her worry, one man, dressed as a guardsman, looks at the ball and scrutinizes it through a monocle that he put on for this occasion. After checking it through the monocle (which is tinted a shade of orange), he strolls over to Nezetta and Winifred in a semi-official gait that has an implied "I'm sorry about having to be this difficult."

"Sir," he says, directed at Winifred, "I understand the liberties that are usually allowed in the streets of Baron, but since we have so many foreigners in town, I have to request that you cease. Last week some Domans cried bloody murder when they saw uncontrolled magic use, I think it was because of some Mistan Street Theater. Having a civilian begin to bleed from their eyes in horror isn't all that great of an image to project to others." He looks apologetic as he takes out a small metal rod and whirls it at the ball, which promptly vanishes.

Edited by: The Great Nevareh&nbsp; Image at: 8/30/04 2:12 am

Shinigori V2

Re: Octopus?

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:47 am

Nezetta took a moment to glance at the guard, and gave a small bow as he draws near- THough she wondered if Winfred would have the same sense. She certainly didn't feel the need to say anything about it, though. It wasn't as if she had asked for the guard to releave her of the idiotic use of magic; it had just sort of fallen into her lap.

GC130A

Obviously, no Barian has a concept of the ridiculous. :(

Unread postby GC130A » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:14 pm

Outwardly, Winfred simply took this in stride. He nodded politely to the officer, smiled and said without a hint of sarcasm, "Of course! I am sorry officer, I wasn't aware. Please forgive the blatant abuse of my overwhelmingly frightening powers of illusion. Have a nice day!"

He turned to Nezetta. "Guess I'll just have to guide you there myself. This way, then." He started off, making sure that she was following him.

Inwardly, who knows just what he was seething about?

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Re: Octopus?

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:19 pm

There were ways, and there were ways, as Carim was fond of telling the officers that he had the "fortune" to work with.

Since he had absolutely nothing to work with on this case, he decided that the best approach would be to investigate something else. In his experience, you could often find out more about something by taking the indirect route...

Returning to his office, he roped a guardsman into fetching him the recent reports made by undercover officers, in the hopes of turning up something interesting...

It was a funny thing, but there never seemed to be a shortage of interesting things going on - the trick was working out which ones were connected. Carim felt sure that this incident couldn't be a completely isolated one.

The Great Nevareh

Enter... NOAH!

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:37 pm

When the reports that Carim ordered came to him, they came to him in the hands of a young man who must have recently been inducted into the force- He was extremely clean-shaven (if he even had to shave), his eyes were bright, his skin untanned, and his cheeks were rosy. Rosy. He looked a lot like he was either a noble there to tell him that he's not doing his job well enough, a bureaucrat who was there to tell him that he's not doing his job well enough, or one of those interns that have been popping up here and there recently like endlessly naive mushrooms. He had well-combed short black hair, was slightly shorter than Carim, and looked enthusiastic. His uniform looked brand-new, he didn't even have any weapons, and the worst part of it all was that he had the insignia of the Thaumaturgical Corps on his chest.

Someone has sent him a rosy-cheeked, inexperienced, bittergreen-green magic-user who probably was barely qualified to file papers to him, and honestly there probably isn't much of a reason other than that they didn't have anywhere to stick him.

The newbie put the papers on Carim's desk (a depressingly thin stack), then snapped a salute.
"Noah Balbanes, reporting for duty, sir!"

A salute? Where does he think he is? The army?

Shinigori V2

Re: Enter... NOAH!

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:21 am

Nezetta made a bit of a face and began tagging along- She secretly hoped one of her guards would turn up soon and give her reason to leave, though she knew the chances of that happening where slim to none- She was to be left alone for most of the trip for personal reasons- And to allow her a bit more freedom- Though she would be checked upon every now and then by one of the accompanying Barian guards to make sure she hadn't been kidnapped, drawn into a world of drugs and crime, or anything else from a large list of things she was to stay away from.

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Re: Enter... NOAH!

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:53 am

Good Gods, have they really nothing better to do than inflict me with this? Though Carim. Wait. "Inflicting" is the word. Somebody probably decided I've been a little too rebellious lately, and this is my punishment.

'Duty, Balbanes? And did anyone happen to tell you exactly what I'm supposed to be doing with you?' He asked, his tone a poilte one. It wouldn't be fair to be cruel to the boy, after all. Not until he gave good reason, at any rate.

The Great Nevareh

Noah's chattiness

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:56 am

"I don't know, sir! I have been assigned to you, sir! To assist you in your endeavors, sir!"
He stays at rigid attention, clearly trying to impress his new superior.
"According to my transition officer I am to learn how to fight crime in the name of the King, sir!"

A myriad of these people have been filtering into the office lately. They're usually asked to do things like fetch sweetrolls or file things. Things where they can neither get into trouble nor do any harm.
The files that he delivered are in perfect alphebetical order, and not in the chronological order that would be the most useful and the order that they usually come in. Noah must have ordered them himself. He probably thought that Carim would like to have his files in an order so he can have easy access to whatever he is looking for. Too bad he doesn't know what he's looking for.

He's still saluting.

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Re: Noah's chattiness

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:17 pm

'I see.'

Carim flicked through the files, and surreptitiously rearranged them.

'In other words, they had nowhere else to put you. Well, Balbanes, I won't lie. If I were anyone else in this office I'd be getting you to make me tea and do the real work myself. '

He sat back, putting his feet up on the desk casually.

'Me, though, I think if I'm going to teach you how to fight crime I'd better bloody do it properly.'

Carim stretched his arms, and then picked up the top report.

'So once I've browsed through these we'll be hitting the streets.'

A pause.

'Make me a cup of tea, will you?

The Great Nevareh

Noah and tea!

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:24 pm

"Yes, sir! Will that be black tea or herbal? What kind would you like? Do you take milk or sugar?" Noah opens this deluge of questions about tea preference with a lot of enthusiasm. He's pleased to be doing something, even if it's just fetching tea.

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Re: Noah and tea!

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:54 pm

'I'll tell you what.' Carim replied, not looking up from the first report. 'Surprise me, why don't you?'

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:05 pm

<span style="color:blue;">Daenj'r finally decided to make his move. But first, he'd play into their hands, so she'd play into his...

"I'll help..." he piped up. "Just let me know what to do..."</span>

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kingofdoma>KingOfDoma</A] at: 9/1/04 3:48 pm

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:45 pm

Noah smiled and replied "Sir! Yes sir!" and then hurried off towards the tea chest. With a reasonably good guess, that order will have the kid off fetching tea for the next hour and a half while he tries to decide what would surprise Carim the best without offending him.

The reports aren't all that grand, upon leafing through them. The most noticeable is a wanted notice for a demonic grifter who sacked a noble boy by drinking him under the table. Mae Odelia still at large, and she's been mostly ignored, probably, since the break-in.

Some recent convicts have been paroled, and some of them are already back in the wanted notices...

Old man Sconner finally kicked the bucket. Sconner the conner, one of the most wildly successful con artists in the land, yet had never been caught, finally died with no progeny. He allegedly didn't have any students.

Other tits and tats, lots of pickpocketing, and of course, the nobles are in an uproar about something.

The name Balbanes to Carim's mind. He didn't quite know why, but he's sure he's heard that name before. Oh well, it's a small world.

Back to the reports, a lot of people are circling the rumor. That annoying Airship rumor that couldn't possibly be true because only idiots would assume that THE CASTLE, which was THE MOST OBVIOUS PLACE IN BARON, was where they would hide their secret.
The rumors are still alive and circling like crazy, though. And it isn't a wierd mutation- it's the same rumor over and over again. Rumors aren't usually that stable... unless...

The Great Nevareh

Back with the ladies....

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:53 pm

"Yeargh!"
Nevareh looked at the doorway to see Daenj'r standing there. She hadn't heard him walk up, and she hadn't noticed him listening...
Nevareh stood there very politely, and very, very stunningly, next to Mae, who sat there very politely, and very very sexily.

Two astoundingly sexy women were staring back at Daenj'r, and he might wonder what in Ishtar's name he's gotten himself into.

The whole damn room smells like good brandy. And the women appear to have been drinking it.
"Erm... did you *cough* hear the discourse that we were just having?"
The human one looks a little shaken. As for the succubus, who knows?

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: Back with the ladies....

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:08 pm

<span style="color:blue;">Daenj'r grinned wide. As in, near-cartoony wide. He knew exactly what he'd gotten himself into... and if he got lucky, he'd have them both (if he was real lucky, at the same time) and make off with their cash, their clothes, and anything else he could get his fingers on. Oh, they'd have such a great time getting robbed blind...

But that would come later. First, he just had to say, "Yeah, I heard ya. And I'm in."

He got in a little closer. "Unless you beautiful ladies want me to tip off the authorities...</span>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:36 pm

"...or..." began Mae, calmly. "...we could just kill you now..."

It was exceedingly difficult to tell whether she was being serious or not.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:45 pm

<span style="color:blue;">"Y'could... but then you'd miss the pleasure of my company... and trust me, girl, I'm about as pleasurable as it gets." This was said with an extra special smirk...</span>

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:49 pm

Good old Sconner. Carim had admired him, respected him even, in that way that only natural foes could. And, at the end of the day, Carim didn't really care that Sconner was never caught. An artist is an artist, whatever his medium.

As for this rumour... No ordinary rumour. It could be possible that someone was deliberately keeping it in circulation... He stored that thought for later.

He flipped back through the reports, until...

Mae. That'll be our mark. We'll see how green Balbanes really is.... Balbanes... where have I heard that... Ah well.

'I'll take black with milk and no sugars, then.'

Edited by: Blaze Yamato Spirit at: 9/8/04 3:36 am

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:06 pm

"Oh, I wouldn't know about that." said the succubus, looking slightly disgusted at him. "After barging in here and threatening to 'tip off the authorities', it seems more like you're someone I wouldn't particularly like. You know, a 'jerk'. Or maybe 'idiot'. Several slightly less polite terms spring to mind, too."

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:19 pm

"I am inclined to side with my friend, here. Plus, Mr. Grifter, you're probably only after our gold. And not by working for it. Now, why don't you sit down so we can tie you up and decide what to do with you?"

From nowhere, Nevareh is holding a gun. She doesn't seem to be shaky or afraid to use it, and she also doesn't look like someone who would miss, even though the weapon she has is only a one-shot deal.

"Mae, don't you just HATE eavesdroppers? Though I might be tempted to find out if what this guy says is true. Just maybe without his consent."

Never once does her gaze deviate.

Next

Return to Gaera Main RPs