Under the Night Sky (Closed Freestyle RP)

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Uncle Pervy

Under the Night Sky (Closed Freestyle RP)

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:29 pm

Nighttime has fallen on over the village of Brising, as many of the people settle themselves in for the night. The Hog's Ride Inn still hosts its patrons, but slowly they bleed out in ones and twos. Most hard for one. One, a gray-robed man, mounts a chocobo tied outside and sets off to Port Rosalia, some days to the South. Other pats of the town are dead quite. Otto's Smithy is quiet, though the forge fire still burns to heat the simple home attached to it. Reinhart General store is closed and locked securely; a dozing hound rests there to make certain any thieves will feel most unwelcome.

The village nestles itself into sleep, but not everyone within it is ready to give in just yet. Some of the villages walk northward, following a road toward the foothills. They pass the homes of herders along the way, small cottages amidst vast fields of fenced-off land. A couple of those herders walk along that road as well. The hills quickly become more pronounced, as the mountains grow closer. A light forest begins to dot the rises, the trees bare in the winter cold.

Perhaps three miles from Brising, a soaring tower peeks over the treetops. Soon, the travellers, coming in their pairs and groups, can see the steeples and buttresses supporting the tower. Then finally, the walls and gates come into view, as the front doors of Orbonne Cathedral stand open.

Unlike the town that was left behind, the Cathedral is hardly ready to retire to bed. Rather, it seems that some of its inhabitants are just beginning to awaken. A walled courtyard stands around the main chapel; an experienced eye could see that the walls and outbuildings predate the cathedral by some centuried. Get the entire structure speaks of age and endurance. The foundations have laid since the early days of Baron, while some of the fieldstones making up the buttresses are traditionally said to outdate the modern calander. Whether or not this was true is sometimes debated by the priests who make their home here.

It is rare that outsiders come to Orbonne Cathedral. Though it rivals a small castle in size, it is rare that the cathedral is ever full to capacity in the present day. Gone are the days when Orbonne was full of scholars and priests; no longer is it known throughout the world word as a place of learning and faith. But to the ones who dwell there now, and to those coming to visit, the cathedral's history means little.

Through the front doors, they come to a old chapel. A kindly old priest in gray robes directs visitors though the back doors to the courtyard. Unlike the cathedral outside, this chapel is a small and humble thing. Few windows peirce its walls, and fewer decorations are to be found. Upon the ceiling, perhaps twelve feet overhead, there is an ancient fresco painting of the night sky, dating back to the earliest days when Orbonne was still a humble monastary. Recently restored, some keen and knowledgible eyes may note a few tiny inaccuracies of position in that map and the clear night sky above them.

As visitors are led to the courtyard by the priest, they see the reason they have come. Nearly three dozen gray-robed priets and white-robed Acolytes mill about, some setting up telescopes, others laying out blankets. They talk and laugh lightly among themselves, mixing freely with the people who have come. Some of the priests have picnic baskets with them, while others carry smaller refreshments. Those with the attentive ears catch bits and pieces of conversation as they go through the crowd.

"I still can't believe it's passing close enough to Gaera to be seen!"

"If Gisham's Comet really is green, I owe you a day's cleaning duty."

"When was the last time it was visible to the naked eye? 1192?"

"Has anyone seen my cheese biscuits? I swear, if you ate them, Chaunce..."

"Haven't seen a good comet in three years from here. The Argovians get all the luck."

Though it is a bit cold out; though overall a warm night for winter; there are no lights or fires to be seen in the courtyard, nor any in the higher regions of the Cathedral. Rather, the waxing moon provides enough to see. Reading is a bit difficult, though a few scattered priests try to squint at the words of their books and star charts. As the visitors come, they are welcomed with some food and drink; typically a sandwich or a muffin, though one priest freely shares from a few bottles of wine he has brought. Overall, it seems that if there is any real religious significance to the event, it is well hidden under a veil of openness and and relaxation.

(Intro characters as necessary, as either residents or visitors.I'll try to get a map of the cathedral up soon. And as always, IM me with questions.)

NebulaQueen

Re: Under the Night Sky (Closed Freestyle RP)

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:09 pm

Some folk coming into the courtyard may notice a small family, waiting for the main event near a blanket of their own. The father seems to be fiddling with an old, strange looking brass telescope that looks like it has seen better days, while the mother and the daughter sit down together, content to watch the sky without the aid of such an eccentric device. Soon, however, the man utters a small shout of victory, signaling that the tinkering has come to a close.

"What did I tell you, Emily?" the man says, grinning widely. "I told you I could get this set up in time."

The woman merely shakes her head, and says in turn, "You know, Charles, you could have gotten a new, completely whole telescope in time...after all these years, I still don't know why you even bother with that piece of rubbish..."

"Pah, it isn't rubbish. It's an antique."

The girl stifles a giggle, instead choosing to finish up the last of the muffin she got from one of the priests. When she's done, she wipes the crumbs off of her mouth, before turning to her parents. "Mum, Da?" she asks, "can I go off for a little bit? I'll be right back, I'd just like to see if Jessica was able to come tonight, that's all."

Emily nods, and says, "Sure, dear, just as long as you don't take too long. It should be starting any minute now."

The girl gives her thanks, and scrambles up out of her seat. She waves goodbye to her parents, as she walks off to go look for her friend.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:37 pm

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">Meanwhile, a small figure lay under under the night sky, gazing upwards at its beauty and grandeur.

"Ah, Kalcie, ya beautiful gal. Well done, once again." He tried to touch his hand to his chest, but, as usual, found it covered in his own thick beard hair. He sifted through it to get to the leather breastplate underneath it, and fingered a shaped pressed into it.

The crescent imprinted there made him smile. Touching it was relaxing, soothing... his eyes drooped...

And opened. "Hah!" he shouted as he sat straight up. I can't fall asleep yet, he thought. My Lady's show is yet to begin...</span>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:00 pm

Ah, the Kalycan Church. Worshipers of the night sky, and believers in balance. People who take no actions, and live modest lives because balance is absolute. And among them, every so often, one person who seems to desire purely to screw things up.

One such person stretched lazily as she sat in one corner of the courtyard, waiting, as the others were, for the coming of the comet that night, and thinking various, partially sarcastic thoughts to herself. Her red bodysuit made her an easy person to spot, even in the half light that permeated the area. A large sack rested beside her, the hem of some garmet or another, of a much duller, less striking color than her current outfit, projected out of the main pouch, and a black, polished fan handle from a small side pocket. She brushed the crumbs of a muffin away from her mouth, and reached down, rolling up the collar of her suit to reveal a facemask that was a part of the garmet, which she pulled up over her nose and mouth to protect them from the cool air.

"Shall it be a good show tonight, Kalyca?" The woman mused aloud. "Or will we have a lousy night, to balance all the wonderful skies that have appeared in the past?"

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:07 am

A dark, sombre man walked through the forest road, following the footsteps of others. Even without these tracks, he could tell the temple was near; the climate, the terrain... it was just as he'd been told. Perfect for a temple of stars. Despite his confidence, he still wasn't prepared for the wall.

As he came into view of the cathedral itself, his pace faltered. His sombre, slouched posture changed as he examined the structure. The architecture... was old. So old.

This isn't right... it's nothing like I expected... nothing at all...

---

The old, grey-cloaked man at the entrance couldn't help but blink a bit as he noticed the next visitor to approach; not only was he dressed poorly for the weather, but he was dressed... strangely. Very strangely. He wore black, baggy pants, but his chest was only adorned with a slender, wisp-thin vest, made of the same black cloth. His exposed skin was heavily tanned, and the smell of sweat and dust was thick on him... and most prominantly, he looked about as well muscled as a blacksmith's only son, yet as lean as a message runner. Only after he came closer did he realize he was also far younger than he looked; an unflattering person might even say he was still a boy. he didn't look like he was from this country. Actually, he didn't even look like he was from this kingdom.

He seemed quite forboding as he walked along the path; but as he approached the gate, all sense of grimness seemed to drain out of him, replaced with a sense of amazement; it made his youth far easier to percieve. The boy spent a quiet moment staring up at the gate, and eventually approached the elderly man.

He bowed deeply at the waist for a full three seconds, and clasped his hands solemnly. He spoke with a strong, but quiet voice, in a forgotten, centuries-old language.

"Gal'Shiaah. Schela nonnoro ophores athasa-shor, Nieb. Odone, eotra Galaa."

Ther young man simply stood, hands clasped, clearly waiting for something.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:43 am

The Gray-robed priest in the front temple scratched his head, clearly looking confused.

"Come again?" he says at last.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Re: Under the Night Sky (Closed Freestyle RP

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:16 am

Among those gathered for the night's event, there was a young Nekojin woman, perhaps all of twenty. Her fur color was hard to determine in this light, it might be white, or gray, or perhaps even a very light yellow. Her long hair matches this, reaching the middle of her back, and a black ribbon tied a thick lock of it into a small ponytail which hung slightly behind the rest of her hair.

Showing in various shades of gray under the pale moonlight, she wore a sleevless white cotton kimono gown, with a black obi and a dark cord tying about it. A set of sleeves ties onto her arms, ending in light frills, with bits tucking under shiney rings about her middle fingers.

She stood in front of a painter's eisel, a clean pallette in one hand, and a thin lead pencil moving slowly and confidently across the canvas in the other.

She was carefully putting together the night sky above her, to the best of her skill. One or two people might have stopped in their relaxations for a moment to watch her, or ask a question. She would just smile and answer quickly, never ceasing to prepare her canvas for the time to paint. This night was special, and she intended to immortalize it in her art.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=besyanteo@rpgww60462>Besyanteo</A]&nbsp; Image at: 1/13/04 1:22 am

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:17 am

The boy looked rather at a loss for words for a moment. He seemed to compose himself a bit. He knelt, taking a small pouch from the large pack on his back. He thumbed a few small pebbles from the pouch, placing them on the ground... precious stones, of indeterminate vaue, polished brightly. After only a moment, the pattern they formed in the dirt became immediately obvious... the brightness and hue of the stones even resembled that of the stars, to a degree; the constellation of The Traveller. It's position showed it was ascending the house of The Lady, which represented Kalyca and her faithful.

It was one of the first cluster of stars any priest learned; He wanted to speak with the host. In this case... well... the head priest of the cathedral.

"Nieb." The boy gestured to himself, placing both hands on his chest. He then gestured outward. "Gal'Shiaah? Orbonne?"

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:42 am

The priest made a face, as he tried to recognize what the odd traveler was doing. The constallation made sense enough, Traveler was clearly a self reference. As for the rest... Well, it was obvious he can came to the cathedral for a reason, it didn't seem to be the viewing. He did say Orbonne. Hm...

"Neib," the priest says, gesturing toward the young man and assuming that was a name, "Wait there, please." He gestures toward one of the nearby pews. Then, the priest leaves quickly.

Those in the courtyard note the priest charged to direct,guests, Brother Leighman, seems to have left his post. He hurries toward a older man sitting near the base of a leafless cyprus, wearing robes of storm cloud gray. The robes' color announces that he is the high priest, and in charge of the cathedral.

"Father Werner," says the priest, "We have...a most unusual guest. He doesn't seem to know common"

Sipping from a teacup he had brought out with him, the wizened man nods. "Do you recognize the tongue?"

"Not at all," says Brother Leighman. "But he does seem to know the stars rather well."

"Hmmmmmm..." says the high priest, as he stands. "This is very interesting. Show me to him."

(OOC: Anyone in the courtyard who is nearby [Player discertion] can overhear this.)

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:21 am

The figure in red had taken notice when Brother Leighman moved, and overheard his reference to a man who didn't speak common.

Someone from outside of Baron? I wonder what would bring them here? Not to watch the stars, there are many places in other countries where that can be done just as well, if not better...

Shifting a bit of attention from the coming sky show to the developing one in the cathedral, Kaname Himura became all buisness, quietly edging closer to try and hear better what was about to go on.

Choark

Under the Night Sky away from most (such a loner I am =( )

Unread postby Choark » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:18 pm

Excitment over the stars eh? Well seeing one fall from the sky and sparkle in the night was an intresting sight at least but to those that tend to follow thoughts a bit too much one might wonder exactly where these stars fall to and why. Surely this was a balance thing as well?

Andy wasn't going to muse on it for too long because he was to make sure the young 'uns weren't wasting this once in a life time opurtunity by moving them all in line for this grand event, the same one he's busy making sure he's wasting. If nothing else it would amusing to hear how people "knew where they stood this grand moment" while he spent it on the latreen.

Barking out in his old voice he hurried some youngish lads to the outside. He wouldn't be surprised if he found some young lad with some young girl in here either as he stalked the cathedral. And then there was the small possibility some theives would come sneaking in while everyones guard was down and make off with whatever they could get there grubby hands on.

No, Andy was sure they hadn't even considered that. He sighed at the lack of reguard by his fellow priests, which would probably just dismiss it all as "The Balance of the World" if it did happen or somesuch. Which in a way it was, but then, so was him smacking them with his blunt axe across the back of the head until they decided stealing wasn't the best way to go on with there lives.

For his defence, Andy was a very relgious person in his own right, it was just he had a hatred for moments like these "where everyone must attend." Well they never said you had to but they certainly made you think if you didn't you were doing something very wrong. An old fool like him couldn't be done with the "having to do" anything.

After smacking a small boy (of late thirties) and shouting him along to the event, telling him what a horrible person he was for not seening the Goddesses moment of glory, which the man had all attentions of going to but had just popped away for a second, Andy carried on.

Mechanisto

Re: Under the Night Sky away from most (such a loner I am =(

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:17 pm

The young man stood, still as stone, eyeing the surroundings.

It's so alien... I've seen so many strange places and peoples...

He tilted his head back, gazing up at the celing. At the architecture. It's a little like home; but... so different. Maybe it's not as old? No place could ever be as old as my home.

He eyed the walls. ...I think...

He eventualy shifted his weight, betraying his nerves. with a final look down, he slung one of his shoulder sacks in front of him, holding it firmly with both hands. Soon enough, he held a scroll case; he passed the scroll case from his right hand to his other right hand, and slung the pack on his back again. He held the case carefully; the only thing he had left from his home.

He waited, still as stone, keeping his eyes firmly down. I never thought I'd feel this way, but it will be good to be rid of it...

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Judas...

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:35 pm

Damn this occasion! If it weren't for the huge amounts of preparation I've been having to help with I could have been down to the village and away with enough wealth to keep me comfy for life. But too many people are here and it would be hard enough slipping away, let alone not having my absence noted. Another night then.

Jifael briskly walked through the corridors towards the main courtyard, his hands clutched together in mock piety as he turned the corner in time to see Andy "correcting" some man. Jifael smiled, he viewed Andy as nothing more than a bumbling fool and no more of a threat than a child. Jifael cleared his throat to announce his presence and then walked towards Andy. "Brother Tumpleoak!", for despite outranking Andy, Jifael always pretended to respect his elder. "On such a joyous night as this I cannot bear to see you cooped up on guard duty that nobody has assigned to you. Tonight is a night of celebration! Let us join the main fold and bath in the beauty that Kalyca will unveil to us this night."

Choark

I'll give anyone a pound. Just ask!

Unread postby Choark » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:05 pm

Andy sucked his bottom lip in as Jifael approached. He made a habit of not remembering anyone while secretly keeping a small file away of all there doings. He heard others say he was trying to attain a "higher state of mind" which automatically spelt out a man who does little but think all day. Thinking is a dangerous habit people can get into, espically if it happens too much. Personally Andy had no real opinion of this man other then he had not formed an opinion yet.

Shaking his head he smiled at Jifael. That is, his wrinkles moved upwards around his eyebrows and somewhere around the lips, so one might assume it was a smile at least. Hunching over he peered at the man.

"Hmmm. Brother... Jafar? No that's not it, that's one of them silly buggers, have cains and talking parrots.. maybe? Evil men, silly big hats?" He spoke out, obviously lost in some train of thought. He wasn't even looking right at Jifael, the silly old man he was. "Was it Lonestar? Youstar? Blast this head of mine!" He said hitting his own head with a strike of a fist.

"Not on guard duty eh?" He said suddenly back on track, his voice gaining some presence. "Well maybe you young'uns can go play and bathe, but bathing hurts my skin. Besides I've found the sky to be too upwards these days, my back cries out just thinking of the strain. No No, a boy like you should be there, not running along the halls and looking at all of our gifts and wonder we keep here. No no, I'll see the Goddesses work but I've one or two places to go first, got to check everything once or twice. Can't have people going to places I've already been and feeling safe can I?"

His face was still that of a pleasant and harmless old man and his posture was so bent he was looking up at Jifael.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=choark>Choark</A]&nbsp; Image at: 1/13/04 7:06 pm

NebulaQueen

I'll give you fourty pieces of silver for some cheezits.

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:09 pm

Mina walked through the crowd, looking for her friend, or at least hoping her friend would see her. While she didn't stand out like a sore thumb, Mina wasn't too hard to miss if you knew what you were looking for. She's a bit on the tall and lanky side, and was currently carrying her old and faithful fiddle with her. It was beginning to get in the way, though...she began to regret not leaving it with her parents, but she wanted to show Jessica something...no matter, though.

While Mina didn't stick out too terribly, she noticed somebody here who did. As she looked through the crowd, she noticed a somewhat out-of-place looking new comer. Curious, she watched the young man, as he passed the scroll from his right hand....to his other right hand...

Her eyes grew as large as dinner plates, as it dawned on her what he just did. Dear Kalyca, she thought, he has four arms!

Growing more curious, Mina began making her way closer to take a better look at him, while trying to make her gawking not so obvious. It's rude to stare, after all.

Mechanisto

Re: I'll give you fourty pieces of silver for some cheezits.

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:20 pm

He was clearly getting some strange looks, but apart from the oddness (and sparsity) of his clothes, nobody seemed to notice his extra limbs; the extra arms quickly went behind his back again, holding onto his large pack; you couldn't see them unless you were really looking. His face was covered by the broad, conical hat; it was made of some fibrous cloth-like stuff, rather than straw. It looked aukward, since it was so low you probably couldn't see much while wearing it.

He looked as stoic as a statue... but he tilted the hat up for a moment, and gave a nervous-looking glance around. It revealed two things... firstly, he wasn't as comfortable as he looked. Secondly, he wasn't a grown man at all... he was young! Maybe 16 or 18 at the most!

He held his scroll case close, looking a bit protective. Otherwise, he paid the crowd (and mina) no attention at all.

NebulaQueen

Re: I'll give you fourty pieces of silver for some cheezits.

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:18 pm

Mina blinked, and took a second look at the newcomer. I could have sworn I two other arms..., she thought. Perhaps it's a vision?...no, no, doesn't have the right feel to it....maybe it was just a trick from the moonlight...

Either way, Mina continues to keep an eye on him.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:23 pm

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">Finn looked backwards at the kerfuffle behind him. What an odd fellow, he thought to himself. Perhaps I should look into it... but bah! There are already enough people at the scene, and I do not wish to miss my lady's show...

He then looked up. What do you think, milady Kalcya? He waited a moment, and looked to the sky. All of a sudden, a cloud passed in front of the moon, if only for a moment.

He marveled at his lady's swiftness of answer. As you wish, milady, he answered, and headed toward the group.

As he approached the young, underclad man, he wondered to himself why he would choose such a... insubstantial garment. He called to him. "Excuse me, young man... did you need a robe from inside? You must be cold..."</span>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:46 pm

Others have taken notice of what was going on. Excellent.

Kaname slipped closer to the people who were edging closer to the... four armed?... man. Yes, there had been four arms there, she was almost certain. Now this certainly bore even further examination. She edge to a point where she could safely observe and overhere what was going on. The first thing she caught was the dwarf's question about the man needing a robe. She restrain a soft snort under her breath.

No, you idiot dwarf, he likes half way freezing to death.

Still, this was one area where Kaname was willing to let 'balance' have its way without any interference from her.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:24 pm

Nieb stood, feeling tense as people passed by. The architecture had seemed strange yet familiar, but the people were downright alien... as alien as anybody else he'd met in his travels. He'd expected the place would be... well... like home. Instead, very few people wore exactly the same clothes. Everyone was talking almost constantly. They even had places to sit.

He surpressed a twich as someone approached him, and said something... unintelligable. He lifted his hat enough to see the other, but realized he needn't lift very far, if at all; the man was unusualy short.

"Nieb." he took a step back, and bowed at the waist. He spoke as respectfully as he could manage. "Åloghå-vêz'ghœ-t?r'oùs-shœf lêr?n-om, ån'lêsh-œjrå."

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:07 am

Father Werner entered the forechapel at this point, in time to hear Nieb speak. "My, my," he says to no one in particular, his wizened face bearing something of a bemused look, "Now that is an interesting dialect. Must toughen the throat, hmmm?"

He approaches the young four-armed man, and smiles. Then he glances at the dwarf and says, "Brother Finn, would you be so kind as to fetch Sister Marissa? I believe her expertise will help here."

He then looks to Nieb, and makes a sign of prayer. "Recognize that, lad?" he asks gently.

"Ho there!" Calls out a voice feminine voice near Andrew and Jifael. Should they look over, they would see an attractive woman in her early thirties with brown hair in the gray robes of a priestess; they would recognize her as Sister Marissa. She smiles at them, and asks, "Going to stand about in the halls all evening, or are you going to go see the comet with everyone?"

With that, she carries on down the hall, heading for the courtyard.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:44 am

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">"Sister Marissa? Aye, father."

He turned and headed down the hall... and stopped.

"Er, Father... you wouldn't happen to know WHERE the lovely sister is this time abouts, would you?"</span>

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:55 am

The boy carefully lowered his pack, placing it on the ground; his physiology soon became obvious to all around him, and he clearly didn't feel even remotely self-concious about it. He bowed, for the third time in ten minutes, with just as much reverence as before. As he rose, both his hands were clasped in a sign that was at least similar to the father's.

"Gal-Shiahh, orô-ádh'ënnå. Gal-Shiahh, orô-ádh'ënnå. Gal-Shiahh, orô-ádh'ënnå."

He spread his hands apart lightly, letting a beaded necklace fall, suspended between each set of hands. The nature of the beads gave sudden meaning to his words; they were prayer beads. After admitting guilt, one said "Kalyca, grant me courage." Traditionally, this referred to the courage required to face one's guilt. A bead was ticked off for each utterance... and they were usualy handed out a few hundred at a time, depending on the crime.

It wasn't much more than a very old-fashioned way to punish petty behavior. Nobody who had ever endured such grinding boredome could have possibly misunderstood what he'd said (Though it was rarely spoken with such genuine zeal and reverance).

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:12 am

"She should be in the courtyard or on her way there, I would expect," says Father Werner, nodding to Finn.

Then he glances and Nieb and runs a hand over his chin, pondering. He glances over at Mina, and says, "Definately a follower of our Lady, wouldn't you agree? Perhaps a penanent? He does seem to have acquired the most interesting curse."

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:33 am

<span style="font-family:century gothic; color:maroon;">"Ah... yes... of course. Thank you, Father."

In his own way, he ran down towards the courtyard, though to anyone else, it seemed like a hurried waddle. His eyes searched the faces of those waiting for the event in the sky, but none of them seemed to be that of Sister Marissa.

Where can she be?</span>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:09 am

Jifael laughed both inwardly and outwardly at the older priest. It amused him so much that Andy would risk missing the event the entire cathedral had been talking about for weeks just to chastise some young couple. "Oh brother Tumpleoak, once more you help me in my persuit of understanding of Kalyca's position. For all of those of us who would simply enjoy the event and have all the fun someone must miss it in the name of work." Jifael laid a hand on Andy's shoulder, "The bright lady of the night shows herself in many ways, and you are one of them." Jifael gave out another laugh, this one the short sharp snigger that egotistical people make at their own jokes when they know that what they said is not funny, merely amusing.

Then Sister Marissa strode past, and Jifael's mind was once more clouded with sin. What is it about purity that makes it so attractive. Is it the power that I can wield over such purity, the extra knowledge I possess, or is the my ability to corrupt it so? Who knows. "If you will excuse me brother I will follow Marissa to the courtyard, and allow you to finish your patrol." Jifael gave a small bow, just bending his back a little and bowing his head. "May Kalcya light the darkness before you." And with that he strode off to the main courtyard.

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:08 am

Andy watched Jifael walk after the sister, and maybe he was imagining it but did Jifael almost seem eager to follow him? Well there was nothing pathically wrong with that, Andy would have been more concerned if the boy showed abosultly no intrest at all. They could put a robe over you but that doesn' stop everything inside you working properly not unless they put other things on the robes these days. They were slightly more itchy he was sure.

He had formed an opinion about Jifael now. Condecending. Coupled with his "Thinking too much habits" he could be one to watch. Not now though as he had a Cathedral to make sure no one ran off with.

People coming and people going all night to watch some star fall over there heads.

Andy headed off. Part of him, the part that still liked to see wonders of the world had made a mental time list and so happened to know that the route Andy was taking would so happen to pass by a good window with the view of the sky round about the event happened. Pure coincidence of course.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:31 am

A frown had been growing on Kaname's face as she watched the four armed stranger attempt to introduce himself, and then attempt to make his purpose clear, both to no effect.

Not knowing what is being said could become decidedly boring.

She sighed slightly and, since she didn't speak the language herself, decided to await the coming of the translator the Father had sent for. But first...

Still trying to move as quietly as possible, she edge closer to the four armed man/boy, hoping to get a better look at him. She was looking for scars in particular.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:13 pm

Asuka, the young Nekojin artist, simply remained in the courtyard, sketching the night sky. She waited for the comet to appear so she could add it, and begin painting.

She had yet to really notice any of the others, including the four armed wonder.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:43 pm

Is he talking to me?, thought the now embarrassed Mina, in regards to the priest looking over the newcomer.

"Er, I guess so," she says quietly, feeling a bit awkward.

I shouldn't have gawked like that...I feel like such an idiot now...

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:43 pm

Nieb tried to make sense of the situation. He'd tried to ask to see the host of the cathedral. Surely if they'd understood, he'd have been taken to him... the host would never have come out here to personally greet a stranger. Though this man certainly seemed to hold authority; the other's reactions were evidence enough.

Hm... perhaps this is his attendant? Or bodyguard?Surely they wouldn't take me to their leader easily...

Nieb looked down for a moment. He took his scroll case, and held it towards the man; it was heavy, made of splintery, handcrafted wood, and a tough brown paper that looked as tough as leather. It had no rivets, nails or screws; each wooden piece had been carved to fit together tightly. On the front of the case was a runic symbol; a stylized form of some constellation.

The thing looked like a priceless historical antique; a preserved piece of distant history... but it couldn't have been more than a year old.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:56 pm

Finn, looking about the courtyard, would see that Sister Marissa seems to be emerging from the main cathedral and making her way toward the the group, glancing upwards.

Jifael, following her, would arrive at the courtyard moments later.

Father Werner takes the box in hand, while glancing at Mina. "Now now, no need to be shy." He then look at Kaname and adds, "You as well, Miss Himura." He glances toward Kaname and grins a bit, "No need to lurk in the shadows, even though old habits are the hardest to kill.

"Let's see what our guest has for us, shall we?" He then opens the box.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:20 pm

The case was much heavier than expected. "Esâ...!" Nieb held his hand out, looking a bit worried as the clasp was opened. As the clasp flipped open, the whole thing seemed to fall apart spontaneously; a pair of scrolls unrolled as the tension released, and a large paper-wrapped cylinder of metal fell to the ground with a heavy, metallic clink.

The scrolls were of identical form and format, except that one was common language; the other was covered in columns of dots and lines, strongly resembling braille. The common scroll was of moderate length, and written in flowing calligraphy, but made it's point clearly enough.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:42 pm

Taking the Scroll in hand, Father Werner begins to read, making the occasional "Hm".

"How goes this night's masterpiece, Sister Asuka?" comes a voice from behind. Likely, she would recognize it as Sister Marissa, as she peeks over the nekojin's shoulder to have a look at the canvas.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:46 pm

...hardest to kill? My, my, he wouldn't be trying to muscle in on my territory, would he? Because he's very bad at it.

Regardless of what Kaname thought of Father Werner's attempts at humor, real or imagined, she accepted his invitation and moved closer to see what was going on better, just in time to see the two scrolls pop out of their case. Kalyca perserve us, one of them caught leperosy! was the first thought through her mind when she saw the dotted scroll. Fortunately, she caught herself before saying it. She took a harder look at that scroll, and confirmed that it was no ninja encoding scheme she was familiar with, then did her best to read over Father Werner's shoulder.

There should be some interesting story in here somewhere...

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:35 am

While she attempted her eavsdropping, Kaname heard a slight intake of breath from the stranger. A quick glance revealed that he was staring at her with a great deal of not-at-all disguised unease. He also now had a hand firmly on his walking stick. Though the way he held it, it obviously wasn't for walking.

"Âdenn êtôrr-?d'utæ eph'éno'toruå?" He seemed to speak to Father Werner, but gestured gently in her direction.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:24 am

There was the lightest sound of a purr in her voice as she spoke, and one could hear the smile in her voice.

"Well, as ever Sister Marissa. While it pales before Kalyca's own masterpieces, I would like to think I can make a passable copy."

As the comet had yet to arrive, she took a few moments to some subtlties to her work... The shading of moon craters, adjusting the positions of the stars, even marking where a nebulae might go, if it were visible to the naked eye.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:11 am

Jifael stood in the doorway that led deeper into the convent part of the building and looked out upon the courtyard. Look at them. Fools to a man. This asteroid is no heavenly favor on Kalyca's part, but a mere mathematical fact. Why is it that religion can capture so many under its spell? Hope? All religion will ever be is a bunch of outdated explainations for common events. I just love they way the explain away Kalyca's non-action by declaring her neutral and interested only in balance. I mean really, I'm surprsed that with no possibility of a devine miracle people still choose to come here. But come they do and so act I must.

Jifael dissapeared amongst the gathering, greeting those he passed by warmly with a big smile on his face. Inwardly though his mind whired on, valuing jewelry, finding out who was there and who was not, discovering little tadbits of infomation that might one day be of use to him.

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:33 am

Andy was pleased when he could only his his footsteps upon the floor of the Cathedral, until he relised that he could still hear the hum of outside only his mind had blanked it out, as the mind tended to do if left unchecked.

He was being careful not to be walking with "fond memories". That is, as he put it, not allowing himself to remimiss about the past, which he now had a lot of. If he got stuck there when he was supposed to do self appointed job then he really was an old fool.

The only trouble was everything had a memory attacthed to it, he had been here long enough to aquire a lot of them, or a certain painting or smell would remind him of his old, long dead, friends. The walls spoke of old conversations he had with young pups who had now grown, left, and never to be seen again, reminding him of times where he might of been happier.

But he refused to allow the memories to linger. Here and now. If he got lost down in his mind then there's no telling when he would come back. One memory did betray him though and surfaced and on this night of all nights, of a woman, a hill and the stars hanging over head, but that was a memory that could never be forgotten.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:33 am

Shit!

Of course, the first thing Kaname did was check herself to make sure her unnatural arm was covered, as it normally was. There was nothing out of place. One would have to look very closely to realize that the limb under all those bandages wasn't quite human shaped. Other than unnaturally pale skin and red eyes, there was no other indication that she was an undead creature... of course, for the extremely suspicious or superstitious, that was enough. Of course, anyone familiar with the astral plane could probably figure it out soon enough. There was that, or the possibility she had been recognized as a ninja. Entirely possible, as she didn't try very hard to hide the fact, even if she didn't broadcast it openly either.

Naturally, you would leave your bag over in the corner... good gal. You've got no weapon's but yourself now, and he's got you out numbered in the arm department two to one.

Kaname rolled back lightly onto her heels, not openly assuming a fighting stance, but ready to make a flashy exit if the need should arise.

Next

Return to Gaera Main RPs