Gumshoe [Open, see OOC thread]

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
Blaze Yamato Spirit

Gumshoe [Open, see OOC thread]

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:53 pm

It was another uneventful day in Doma City. Uneventful days weren't rare for me, Darren Black, PI. Ever since the guard had started shaping up there'd been less business. And the takeover wasn't exactly helpful. Me, I was just thankful the office survived.

The office. This single, shabby room above a fishmonger's stretched the word's definition to its limits. My desk had one leg shorter than the others - books I never even read propped it up. The wallpaper wass peeling, and what little that remained was stained with tobacco. The state of the floor... don't get me started on the state of the floor. There was a broken mirror - I looked into it, then, and was surprised to see who stared back. I never considered myself particularly handsome, but my haggard looks, unshaven face, and unkempt hair, once brown but now greying, were a shock even to me. I don't know when I stopped caring about the way I looked. Probably when I stopped caring about my job. There had been a time when I thought it was glamorous. I wish I'd never been so naieve.

In times past I had cases up to my elbows - jealous husbands and suspicious wives mainly, but there had been a few big ones. My last big case had been four years ago, though, and I'd blown it. How? I made it personal.

And now nothing was left but enough spouses going astray to keep me in house and home. I sat behind my desk, as I had done for a while now, waiting for my next big break.

Uncle Pervy

Re: Gumshoe [Open, see OOC thread]

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:33 pm

The door of the office open, allowing in a young woman to walk inside. Wearing reddish purple slacks and a red coat with matching earmuffs, it was clear she wasn't used to the early Doman winter. She was rather pretty, with straight blonde hair and green eyes.

"Heya, you're the investigator guy, right?" she says, "I got a job for you."

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:39 pm

I sat up, uncomfortably aware that first appearances meant everything, and they didn't say much about me.

'That's right. My name's Darren Black, and I make it my business to know other people's business.'

Inwardly, I cringed. I knew how tacky the words were, and how desperately eager I sounded. Like I said, I needed any business I could get.

'So who's the guy?'

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:53 pm

"Well, I kinda need you to find my friend's Sister," She says, having a seat. "I think her name is Nina Graysun; she disappeared in the invasion, you see. Oh! And what are your rates?"

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:08 pm

A Missing Person case. The next common after Straying Spouse. Still, I had to take whatever work came my way, and I figured that it couldn't be too difficult.

'100 gil per hour plus expenses, miss...?'

Edited by: Blaze Yamato Spirit at: 12/14/03 4:09 pm

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:22 pm

"Yoko," the woman answered, now chewing her lower lip. "So if it takes a day, then...2400 gil?" She sighed a little. "Well, I suppose I'll be on my way, then."

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:27 pm

I sighed. This so often happened, and yet the price was calculated to include the riskier side of investigating. There is a lot of danger in rooting through someone's garbage - You never know what sort of powerful creature might discover you handling his old undies.

'I'll tell you what, miss Yoko. Why don't we start with you telling me what you'd be willing to offer, and we'll see if we can work something out.'

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:34 pm

"I have only three thousand to spare," she says in a guilty-sounding voice. "And...I'm not sure if I can get more anytime soon."

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:48 pm

I considered this. She looked like she was telling me the truth, and Yoko did have money, whereas I did not, and the idea of that money making the transaction between our pockets was a pleasant one.

'The price I quoted you takes into account any unpleasant situations I might get involved in during the course of my investigation. We can make it 50 gil an hour plus some sort of compensation or medical aid if I get injured or cursed or otherwise harmed. Does that sound more agreeable to you?'

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:55 pm

"Okay," She says, her voice brightening considerably as a smile danced on her lips. "Marcus is a white mage, so he should be able to heal you if you need it when he's awake. And you'll only charge when you're on the job, right? I shouldn't have to pay for you sleeping and stuff. Anyways, what now?"

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:03 pm

And with that, Darren Black, PI, was on a case once more.

I stood and walked around my desk.

'I won't charge for time not working, no. Have a seat, and we can start with you telling me everything you know that you think might be relevant to the case.'

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:15 pm

"That's the problem, I really don't know that much," Yoko says, making herself more comfortable in the chair she claimed. "No one's seen her since the first week of the invasion."

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:27 pm

Nothing to go on. That was always the way, at least at first.

'Can you think of any reasons miss Graysun might have had for disappearing? I also need to know all of her old haunts, names and addresses of friends and associates, her interests, her job, that kind of thing.'

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:41 pm

"Okay, um..." Yoko pondered for a moment, "I don't know a whole lot about what she did with her off time, but she did work at a grocer that closed down when the demons came. I don't think it's reopened yet, though. It was on the east side of town. I don't have any addresses, Marcus never told me. I suppose you could ask her mother for some of that...I've kinda tried not to go there yet."

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:47 pm

It was then that I wondered why exactly it was miss Yoko that had brought the case to me.

'Miss Yoko, why are you hiring me on Mister Graysun's behalf? I'll need to speak to him in the course of my investigation anyway.'

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:55 pm

"Because he wouldn't do it himself," Yoko answers, sounding a little uncomfortable. "And...he's asleep right now. He won't be able to tell you much until he comes to. And...I don't know if he will. I think he'll feel guilty about me doing this for him."

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:07 pm

'I hope you will forgive me for finding the situation a little suspect. But as I'm sure I'll get the chance to talk to Mister Graysun later, it shouldn't be a big issue.'

I paced the floor in front of the desk, thinking.

'Is that all you can tell me? It's not much to go on.'

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:22 pm

"Well...not really," Yoko says as she rubs her chin. "Um, I can tell you where Marcus and I live, though. It's on the runied edge of town, a little stone house with no address yet and some empty planters in front. I made it myself."

She grins a bit at that, clearly proud of the accomplishment.

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:26 pm

It occured to me then that this may be the big one I'd been waiting for. Certainly it would be an accomplishment to solve the case with this little to go on.

'Very well. And Marcus' mother's address? The grocer's?'

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:40 pm

"No clue," Yoko says. "He never told me."

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:53 pm

I was surprised that this woman wanted to find Miss Graysun so badly that she'd pay me to work with so little material. I suspected the list of grocer's in Doma City would be rather large, and as for the mother...

'Very well, Miss Yoko. I can begin now if you wish.'

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:59 pm

"Sure!" Yoko says, smiling still. "I'll leave Marcus a note to visit when he wakes up, or at least send a message."

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:03 pm

'If you could ask him to provide those addresses, and anything else he can tell me.'

I showed her to the door. Her part was over, for now. This was where my work truly began.

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:57 pm

I grabbed my coat and headed out into the cold. Winter had struck Doma. It wouldn't be long until Ishmas, I supposed, though I couldn't remember the last time I'd celebrated it.

My destination? The archives. I had a lot of questions, and very few answers - It was time to start finding some.

I stopped at a shop that I knew sold some delicious hot savoury pastries. My preference was for a beef and potato filling - more potato than meat. I'd developed this taste in the lean times, when all I could afford were the cheaper ones with less meat.

Standing outside the store and biting into my pastry, I watched the comings and goings of Doma City. Somewhere, out there, were the answers I needed to solve this case. It was just a matter of searching now, and admittedly a lot of trial and error...

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:59 pm

The archives were but another twenty minutes away, at a brisk walk, and I walked briskly indeed. It seemed wiser than pratting around in the cold. I looked up at the gothic building with its thin windows, forboding grey walls and menacing gargoyles, and grimaced slightly. I had never enjoyed research that much, espeically doing so in a gloomy place like this.

Entering out of the cold, I look around for a librarian, and signalled my intent to ask some questions of them, mouthing quietly. This was a library, after all.

Return to Gaera Main RPs