Reading Shadows (CLOSED RP)

For all RPs taking place in the world Gaera Main.
pd Rydia

Reading Shadows (CLOSED RP)

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:02 pm

In western Doma, nestled snugly in the foothills of the Shumans, there is a town called Sadirn. It is a small village, consisting of a huddle of small houses and other buildings in the center of the town and, around the houses on all sides, sprawling, verdant grazing lands.

The first sightings of strange creatures certainly unsettled the villagers, but things became serious when livestock began disappearing. The worried villagers did what they did best...they appointed a committee.

After an excrutiating slow discussion and debate, the elders came to the conclusion that their best course of action was an ancient technique known as "outsourcing." They soon sent out riders to advertise the job across Doma.

And so our "heroes" came to Sadirn...

Edited by: pd Rydia  Image at: 11/8/03 6:10 pm

Kilraianjja

Re: Reading Shadows

Unread postby Kilraianjja » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:14 pm

Kilraianjja, Hero of Gunnir, vanquisher of Liches (almost) and do gooder extroidenair happily walked into Sadirn, he hood down, and a smile on her face, despite the fact that the sun was beating down on her. The call had gone out for aid, and from a town in distress, no less! It was a classic situation, and one that had happened once before, where it concerned her.

None the less, this was a prime chance for adventure. As soon as she'd heard about the problem she'd set off immediately, leaving D to pay for their lunch, unfortunately, but he'd understand. After all, they could chit chat some other time, but a heroic opportunity wait for nobody.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kilraianjja>Kilraianjja</A]&nbsp; Image at: 9/21/03 2:07 pm

Reako Somner
Always sleepy, never asleep

Unread postby Reako Somner » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:46 pm

Having heard this, Reako decided he'd go with Kilra, wanting to assist her any way he could. It felt like he'd been getting alot of adventuring himself lately, despite his age. As they walked into the town, Reako turned to Kilra.

"So, should we go see this commitee first and see what's going on?"

Koneko

Unread postby Koneko » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:10 pm

Also walking into Sadirn was the scholar, mage, Q imitator and general irritation that was Thorwen Janai. Scowling with deep hazel eyes at the ill effects that the dusty road did to his previously white cloak, now a dusty off-white, he trudged along, his boots thudding heavily.

Running his hands through his short brown hair, he surveyed the scene around him. Strange creatures, was it? Well, he'd certainly score a few extra points on his next paper if he found anything new. And, from what he had heard, the Shumans were full of such things; maybe the unorthodoxy was spreading.

Spotting one particular villager with a hint of amusement, he turned away, snickering once he was out of earshot. He mused aloud to himself, "I call this creature a 'boore.' It is like a boar, but more boring and more boorish. And larger, uglier and more covered with hair, of course."

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=koneko@rpgww60462>Koneko</A] at: 9/21/03 5:34 pm

Kotoki

Unread postby Kotoki » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:10 am

The last member of the "heros," the blonde and nervous-looking Brandon Edward Daryl del Thern, shuffled into the town with a thick layer of dust covering everything he owned.

After hearing about the strange happenings within Sadim, he had immediately decided to apply for the job. He was getting far too comfortable in Doma City. It was time to get back to his real quest... and what better way than to investigate an outbreak of monsters?

He was now having second thoughts. What had seemed like a possible (if tentative) connection at the time now seemed like wishful thinking on his part. What vampires would have to do with evil animals was beyond him...

Nevetheless, it was a good idea to get back on the trail again. And he had a job to do.

Conviction renewed for the moment, he began to look around the town.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:14 pm

Brandon, and anyone else who stopped to look, saw that...there wasn't much to see in this town. It was your typical hamlet -- a bunch of small houses thrown together in a haphazard manner, with one house that looked slightly larger and slightly better built than the rest, towards the center.

The streets of the town were eerily quiet, not a single person around to direct the newcomers to wherever it was they needed to go.

Kilraianjja

Unread postby Kilraianjja » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:16 pm

"Hmm? Committee? I suppose we should. Find out details and all."

Kilra made a mental note to correct the young boy on his thinking later. While finding out information was all well and good, a real adventurer would dive straight into the action!

Kotoki

Unread postby Kotoki » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:54 pm

Brandon, after a moment's hesitation, headed to the larger house in the center of town.

Reako Somner

Unread postby Reako Somner » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:09 pm

Reako shrugged

"Well, I figured we can't do much about the problem without knowning what and where it is right?"

Kilraianjja

Unread postby Kilraianjja » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:34 pm

"True, true." she said more to herself than anyone else.

"Well, let's go there then. Any idea where it is?"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:58 pm

As Brandon approached it, the oaken door to the large house opened, revealing a petite, grey-haired woman in an apron.

"Hello, hello," she greeted briskly, peering at him over wire-rim glasses. "Here for the mercenary job, are you? And are those your companions behind you?" She nodded in the direction of Kilra, Reako, and Thorwen, who were in sight of the house and a short distance away from where she and Brandon stood. "Do come in, I'll put on a kettle for some tea..."

Koneko

Unread postby Koneko » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:38 pm

Thorwen looked around himself, nearly jumping when he saw Kilra. One of her kind. And here! Of course, the presence of any such creature struck him as suspicious, so we'll have to excuse him. Whatever the reason for this, he walked straight in the other direction... up to the large house, Brandon, and the woman, catching a bit about a mercenary job. This, he assumed, was the place he needed to go.

Good to see some direction around here...

Reako Somner

Unread postby Reako Somner » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:10 pm

Reako looked around the village, and noticed the old woman and that she was motioning for them.

"Hey Miss Kilra, I think the house we need to go to is that one over there. That lady is motioning for us to come."

Kilraianjja

Unread postby Kilraianjja » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:53 am

"Really?" she asked curiously, although she'd already started walking towards the building Reako had indicated.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:34 pm

The old woman hustled the group into the house, bringing them into a living room of sorts. The floor was covered with a dusty maroon rug and the walls were papered in a faded yellow and purple floral design. In the room were many straight-backed chairs and one particularly overstuffed couch.

"Have a seat," she said imperiously, more of a command than an invitation, as she bustled into the next room to, presumably, set a kettle going. The sound of indistinct voices could be heard through the walls of the house, and shortly the old woman came back into the room, preceeded by a pudgy man in rumpled finery.

The woman proceeded to pour tea for the group, while the plump man had a seat in a chair and cleared his throat importantly. "So," he began, sounding like he was unsure how it was most proper to go about this business. "You folk are here for the mercenary job, yes? Well, my name is Sir Melvin Poffinstock." He paused, hoping for some recognition of his illustrious name. Recieving none, he continued, "I have been chosen by the Committee of Elders to brief you folks on our...situation. You are here for the mercenary job, correct? Yes, well...may I have the honor of knowing your names? Oh, and you may ask any questions you would like answered before we proceed."

Kilraianjja

Unread postby Kilraianjja » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:30 pm

"Kilraianjja, Hero of Gunnir." she replied pleasantly, sipping at her tea.

"And don't worry, I'll be working for free." she added, smiling at Melvin.

Reako Somner

Unread postby Reako Somner » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:20 pm

"My name's Reako Somner" Reako replied. "Oh, I'm with Kilra, so I don't really want any money either, just here to help =^_^="

Kotoki

Unread postby Kotoki » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:48 pm

"Brandon," the bard said quietly, sipping at his tea. Not to be outdone, he added, "I don't *really* need money..."

And then looked over at Kilra, somewhat surprised. "Miss Kilra? That's you? I'm sorry, we haven't met in forever, but do you remember me?"

Koneko

Unread postby Koneko » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:59 pm

"Thorwen, and since these three don't seem to want any reward, I wouldn't mind taking all three of their shares..." he said with a smirk. "Speaking of which, just how much are we being paid for this, and what sort of strange creatures are we dealing with?"

It was a bit greedy, but hey. He was sure his newly betrothed would appreciate what the money could buy. And weddings weren't cheap, neither.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=koneko@rpgww60462>Koneko</A] at: 9/27/03 12:02 am

Kilraianjja

Unread postby Kilraianjja » Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:59 pm

Kilra looked at Brandon hard for a good while, face crunched up as she scrutinised him.

"Nope! Afraid not!" she replied finally.

Kotoki

Unread postby Kotoki » Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:07 pm

"Oh. Sorry."

Brandon, turning bright red, curled back into his chair and gave her a sheepish grin.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:17 pm

"We have never in our history had such creatures in the area, mind you...until recently. It started with vauge reports from a group of moonshiners in the forest of shadows that moved as though they were alive and smashed their still. Of course, we passed that off as nonsense. But now our livestock have started vanishing, and people have reported seeing them devoured whole by these shadowy beasts."

Melvin stood and began pacing the room agitatedly. "Not only are our very livelihoods threatened, but we're beginning to fear for our own safety. Most of the townspeople keep their lanterns lit at night now, and we've already had one house fire caused by that!" Glancing over his shoulder briefly, he added conspiratorially, "This is what comes from letting the wrong sort of people into a village, you know. I told everyone that we shouldn't have anything to do with that mage, that nothing good comes from dealing with...that kind of person. But now we have this problem on our hands."

Melvin sat down again, looking a little flustered at his breach of protocol.

"Anyway, your job is, simply, to track down and eliminate the source of these beasts. You will report to our representative --that's me-- after taking care of the problem, and then receive your payment. Any questions?"

Kilraianjja

Unread postby Kilraianjja » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:22 pm

Kilra raised her hand, much like a school child would.

"Are these things only being seen at night, or does their evil extending into the day as well?"

Koneko

Unread postby Koneko » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:58 pm

Thorwen had another question, "What mage?"

Reako Somner

Unread postby Reako Somner » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:45 pm

Reako was wondering the same thing as Kilra, but had no questions of his own to state. He figured the adults would take care of the tough questions...

"You know miss Kilra, if they are out only at night, I think you and me might have a better advantage. What do you think?"

Kilraianjja

Unread postby Kilraianjja » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:08 pm

"Well, of course we'll have an advantage." she said smugly, pointing up at her eyes with a single finger. "Nefarious villains can't hide from these in the dark."

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:03 pm

Melvin answered Kilra's question first. "At first they stuck to nightfall, but they have just begun to be spotted out and about right before sunset and just after dawn. I think they're getting bolder..."

He then turned to Thorwen, obviously a bit flustered. "He, well...you see, we...err, that is to say..."

He took a deep breath, letting it out in a prolonged sigh. "There is, you see a mage. He...lives on the outskirts of town, he only really comes in to buy food and other necessities...but..." Melvin took his seat once more and leaned in conspiratorily. "He's a shadow mage, you see. And to judge from eye witness accounts, the creatures are obviously constructs of shadow...seems a bit coincidental to me, don't you agree?"

Melvin leaned back into his seat. "Well, is there anything else, or shall you be on your way?"

Kilraianjja

Unread postby Kilraianjja » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:26 pm

Kilra stood, her course apparent. She'd investigate this shadow mage. If he was the villain, in which case they'd engage in a battle of epic proportions. If not, then they'd surely team up with him to hunt down and extinguish evil once and for all.

Koneko

Unread postby Koneko » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:08 am

Thorwen smirked. Of course, this shadow mage was the obvious suspect. Which probably meant it wasn't him; he was a bit of a shadow mage himself, and had to consider just what motive this man would have for wreaking havok on the town. If it were revenge against a single person, a single incident would've fixed it. As for revenge against the entire town... no, no, no. Someone who only came into town for supplies wasn't likely to seek to wreak his vengeance upon it.

The motives for framing him, or using him as a scapegoat, on the other hand, were equally as plausible. Well, nothing was gained by sitting around and doing nothing, but nevertheless, he had two more questions.

"Why, pray tell, would this shadow mage be sending servants to attack your town? Tar and feather anyone lately?"

He supposed he would discuss the issue of just how much he'd be paid later.

Reako Somner

Unread postby Reako Somner » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:12 pm

Reako nodded to that.

"Yeah, is there anything that might be a good reason why he'd suddenly want to harm the town?"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:37 pm

Melvin sniffed haughtily. "Of course we haven't tarred and feathered anyone...what kind of barbarians do you take us to be? Most of our village are just simple, peaceable farm folk..."

It was obvious from Sir Poffinstock's tone of voice that he did not consider himself to be of so humble a position.

"As for motivation, well," Melvin mused, looking thoughtful. "He was always an odd sort...disagreeable, even. He never really got along with most of us, always arguing with people. He was at odds with many of the villagers...

"But then, we don't know if it was really him," Melvin said, suddenly changing his tone of voice. "We don't know, of course, or we'd have fixed the problem ourselves. So, is that all? Shall you be on your way?"

Koneko

Unread postby Koneko » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:18 pm

To ask about pay or to not ask about pay. To ask about pay or not to ask about pay. To ask... ah, hell with it. "One last thing," Thorwen added sheepishly. "How much will we... or I, it seems, be being paid for this?"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:49 pm

Melvin nodded to Thorwen. "Yes, of course, of course...well, we've been given 8,000 gil total to pay for this job, so if you're the only one accepting payment, then I suppose that's how much you'd receive." Melvin frowned. Darn him! If not for all his questions, we could've gotten away with paying just his share! Oh well...

Reako Somner

Unread postby Reako Somner » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:57 pm

Reako nodded to Kilra.

"Well, I think we learned all we needed to. When should he head out looking for these things?"

Kilraianjja

Unread postby Kilraianjja » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:24 pm

"Right now, of course! We can't dawdle while evil takes root, can we?"

The drow had already begun to make her way to the door as she spoke, living up to her words.

Koneko

Unread postby Koneko » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:13 pm

Thorwen nodded. "Thank you for your time," he said curtly to Melvin, "and your honesty."

Keeping a wary eye on Kilra despite all she had said, he got up and followed the others.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:32 pm

And so Reako, Kilra, and Thorwen left Melvin's house. They had walked a good distance away before it occurred to any of them that they had left Brandon behind, or, rather, that he had stayed behind. Perhaps he needed to speak to Melvin alone, or maybe he decided this job wasn't for him...

Either way, the group found themselves back in the quiet streets of Sadirn. There were a few people out and about this time, but they hurriedly walked from one building to another with an apparently defined sense of purpose. Some sent curious glances the group's way. Most just kept their heads down and went on about their business.

Above head, the sun shone brightly.

Koneko

Unread postby Koneko » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:54 am

He eyed the... thing next to him. No offense against her in particular, it was just a fact of what she was. And the corollary of what she was meant that he didn't want to be anywhere near her any longer than he had to.

Normally, upon visiting the town, he would've stopped to talk with locals, hear some rumors, and see what the place had to offer in its own small way. But now... now was a totally different story. He wanted this job over with, and he wanted it over with now. Just so he could get that... that creature out of his sight, and out of the range of a well-placed knife wound to the back.

As such, he headed straight for where this shadow mage was supposed to live. If the others followed, that was that. If they didn't, so much the better.

Kilraianjja

Unread postby Kilraianjja » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:44 pm

Kilra followed right after Thorwen, completly oblivious to his prejudices.

"So, do you think this mage is behind it all? And if he isn't, you think he'll help us?"

Reako Somner

Unread postby Reako Somner » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:09 pm

"Well" Reako sighed "I guess the only way we'll find out is if we visit him, huh?"

Return to Gaera Main RPs