Child's Play

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:34 pm

"Alright, let's give it a go then," Emily said, hoping to short-circuit what could otherwise become a long chase which Juliette and Byrd really didn't have time for. Emily had been giving some thought to what other wunderkind abilities they might be able to draw upon, and jumping between locations within a program was definitely one of them. No time like now to test it out. Closing her eyes, Emily implemented a bit of code she'd been working on. In theory, she should be able to send it ahead to her destination, and then have it call her there. Just what appearance the code would take on she wasn't sure.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Everyone That's Not Emily or Enzo:

Emily closes her eyes, then glows for a moment, freezing up. And then, she's gone with a flash, replaced by...A smaller, kind of cartoony version of herself, with very low resolution- A little pixelated fairy version of Emily, which itself fades after a moment. Enzo disappears a moment later, though without the after effect of the sprite.

Kid runs over to where the pair was. "...How the heck'd they do that?"

Guys? Where'd you go? she asks, after a moment.

----------------

Emily and Enzo:

The two enact their codes to jump elsewhere- Emily manages to get it pretty cleanly, though it's a little tiring. Enzo, however, is very draining- Coding a program for it would help, clearly.

They're down by the river Byrd described, and the rain is coming down more clearly here. Juliet is trudging through the deep mud, almost halfway up to her thick, heavy boots even, as she staggers along the river. Her suit is muddied and dinged up- If she wasn't made of metal, one might get the idea it would be torn up pretty badly. She looks exhausted, and more than a little sick. But, since they've materialized behind her...She doesn't notice. She just keeps moving, forward, staggering through the mud and the heavy rain.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:08 pm

The first response Kid got bad was a series of error messages tagged as originating from ENDL009. The second would likely be from Emily, as Enzo suddenly felt worse than that time he decided to deep dive with Janet and write a computer kernel from scratch in a single sitting. Thinking was difficult, and it was all he could do at first to sit in the mud and try to remember which way was up. As he forced himself to stand shakily, he wore a dumb grin as he realized that it had actually worked. It faded as he saw Emily nearby. Did... Did she just do the same thing?

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:36 am

We're fine, Emily sent, We've caught up with Juliet. Give us a minute to talk to her. No sense swarming her all at once.

That had worked pretty well, all things considered. A little taxing, but basically good. Though the jump seemed to have taken a lot more out of Enzo than it had out of her. She offered him a sympathetic smile, but there was no time to address it just now. Juliet might not be moving all that quickly, slogging through the mud as she was, but she'd get away in the end. The contrast between them was striking. Emily might be rather soaked from the rain, but she was positively pristine compared to Juliet. She had to wonder just how long the poor girl had been running for.

"Juliet?" she called, "Can we talk?" She was doing her best to be non-threatening, and not having Byrd along would probably help. Still, Juliet was definitely not in good shape, and who knew how she'd react to pursuers?

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Juliet turns, slipping in the mud and falling to her knees. She looks up, mud caked and pathetic. "Leave me alone!" She sobs.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:57 am

Emily's heart went out to Juliet at the sight and her response was pure instinct. She stepped forwards, going to her own knees in the mud and enfolded the other girl in a hug.

"We can't do that, Juliet," she said gently, "You're family and you're in trouble. Let us help."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Enzo stood shakily, suppressing various fatigue related warnings flashing through his mind. He approached the girls and stopped a few feet off.

"Just... please talk with us?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Everyone else:

Kid sighs, looking up in the rain. "Well...Nothing do now but wait."

Suddenly, she's hit in the face with a ball of mud. She staggers backwards flailing her arms, before falling onto her rear end into a mud puddle. She wipes the muck from her eyes, making a disgusted sound...before Byrd launches another one, knocking her onto her back.

Byrd scoops up another couple of handfuls, cackling. "I've wanted to do THAT for MONTHS."

...What an odd turn from the werewolf.

Emily and Enzo:

Juliet doesn't respond immediately to the hug. "We're not...It didn't work." She emphasizes. "Becoming this way..It was supposed to get rid of her! I didn't care that I'd be wearing...Metal...Overpants, because she'd be gone! She's not part of me! I'm not an animal!"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 am

Watching Byrd toss mud at Kid, Sam can't help but smile, snickering to himself. Finally starting to feel back to himself, he calls out to her; "Hey, Byrd!" As she turns, he tosses a mudball at her side, laughing and getting himself ready for her attack back.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:58 pm

"I know you're not, Juliet," Emily said gently, "And I know this isn't what you wanted, or what you were promised. But whatever Byrd is, every attempt to get rid of her or suppress her has only made things worse. If the two of you keep fighting like this, you're both going to die, and none of us want that."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Emily and Enzo:

Though not returning the hug, Juliet does lean into it, burring her eyes into Emily's shoulder. "I don't care." She sobs. "I don't want her. I don't. You don't know. You don't."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Enzo frowned a little, trying to empathize with Juliet but knowing he couldn't begin to guess what she was feeling.

"Well... why? Tell us about it?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Juliet breaks down into a sobbing fit. Muddied and crying on Emily's shoulder, she's far from the regal image she tries to put on. "She lives there...In my mind. She comes out when the moons full...I never wanted it. I never wanted it!"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:11 am

"I know you didn't," Emily said, letting her weep, "It's nobody's fault, it's just one of those things that happened. It might have wrecked your life, but you can't let that stop you from picking yourself up and finding a way forwards." It was more or less what she'd tried to do after the accident, even if she'd never really put it into words like that.

"I think you should talk to her, Juliet. Tell her how you feel and see if you've got any common ground at all."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:22 am

"Two against one? Now that's not fair!"

There's no anger in Silvie's voice, and, with a wide grin on her face, she scoops up a ball of mud and tosses it at Sam.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:53 pm

Enzo stood silently, feeling more awkward than ever. He knew that Juliet didn't like Byrde, but the girl was absolutely distraught. She wasn't just being petty and stupid, this was... different. It was different and he didn't think he could ever completely identify with it.

He walked over and offered Juliet a hand up silently. He privately messaged Emily.

<i>I'm glad you teleported here, too. I think you probably could have handled Juliet on your own. I don't think I would have gotten this far.</i>

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Juliet just breaks down sobbing again. But, given that she's clinging to Emily, that's probably a good enough sign that she's back on board the not wanting to die train.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:25 am

Emily just let Juliet cry herself out for a while before finally helping her to her feet, "Shall we go find the others?" she asked, "We're all here, so you don't have to face Byrd alone."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:53 pm

(Sorry for the huge delay on this, guys. I got super distracted and then a little depressed. Everything's cool now, so I'll be bumping this ahead)

Though the heavy rain and wind continues, there seems to be a peace falling in Juliet's inner landscape. There's a slight radio crackle as the connection on the outside opens, and there's a pause as the speaker gathers his thoughts.

"...Hey, guys. It's Rivendare. I, uh..." He stops, mumbling to himself as someone speaks quietly to him. "I don't know what you did, but...Whatever you did, it worked. Everything's settling down in there, Juliet's not...Self destructing or whatever. We'll begin pulling you out in a few minutes. Good work, kids. Uh...Go ahead and take the rest of the night off. I'll be keeping an eye on her, so you guys can relax."

With that, the connection breaks. It seems that the job's done- Juliet and Byrd are going to try to talk things out, at least, and the day is saved. For now.

Mission 15: Mocking Byrd- Complete!
Mission Status: Complete!
Mission End Time: 10:02 PM
Optional Objective: Learn why Byrd and Juliet hate each other- Complete enough I guess.
Damages: 0.00 Credits.
Gains: 1000.00 credits.
MVPs: TBA.

(Feel free to get any last words in to Byrd or Juliet, whichever you're currently with. Next mission will be posted TOMORROW after I get home from school.)

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Bonus Mission 2: Death's Advance
Deck City: 19th floor, personal rooms.
March 17th, 3757
10:10 AM

The Wunderkind wake to find a cold, quiet Sunday morning. It's been a couple of days since Juliet's ordeal, and while she's not entirely back to her usual snippy self, she is up and around. For the most part, she seems to be more than a little shaky on her feet, moving awkwardly, as if she's relearning the ins and outs of her new body. It's likely she'll be fine, though.

Being Sunday, most of the Deck is closed down and quiet- The Wunderkind are alone among themselves on the 19th floor. Nothing's scheduled at all for the day, though that just makes it more odd when an email pops literally into all of their heads at once:

To: Wundersquids
Topic: None

meat me in hanger 2!!! :3c

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Sam's kept to himself the last couple of days, chatting some with Alexis or Juliet but otherwise much more quiet than usual. At the moment he's alone in his server room, playing some Battlemon the old-fashioned way (as strange as it might be to play a videogame inside a computer). The odd email, though, rouses his attention, not expecting to ever hear from her again; not any time soon, at least. Closing out his game and sitting upright, he sends a message to the group.

Did everyone else get that message?

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Normally Max barely needs a reason to go hangout in one of the hangars, but this particular random message has dented his enthusiasm a little.

I got it, too. Whoever it is apparently isn't doing very well in language arts*. I'ma go check it out. Anyone wanna come with?

Max is already on his way.

*I was going to say "English class," but I'm not sure that's appropriate for the setting. Oh well!

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:10 am

Dunno who it is, said Silvie, but it sounds like one heck of a callout. You know, classic 'come to the roof or I'll kidnap your girl' stuff. Except that we don't have any girlfriends or boyfriends or... nevermind. Count me in, Max.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Enzo had been working on a couple of projects during the downtime. First he spent a day working on coding a program to help him with the teleportation trick he and Emily had pulled earlier. It wasn't finished yet but it was a good start. This morning he had reprogrammed the dwarves to kludge out the basics of a three dimensional race track for the Clubhouse. It would enter and exit the building several times and run through a few of the larger rooms, sealed off in a big transparent tube... when it was finished. That would be a week or two though, and then he'd need to smooth it all out when they finished.

At 10:08 Enzo was in the middle of testing a cross-platform program he'd been building since he finished with the dwarves. The idea was to bring a representation of your battlemons onto the server, to walk around with you and be social. It helped that one of the recent game versions had a feature like this already to build off of, he had simply needed to update it with the new mons and see if it worked without corrupting a save file. He'd been testing on an emulated copy of the game running in his personal storage space so that if something went catastrophically wrong he could just delete the ruined copy and start over. 10:09, he planned to try once more before putting it down for the morning. He activated the program, and it began to load. It lagged a bit as Enzo was basically running both the program and the emulated game in his own head. The clock ticked over to 10:10, and he received a message... but when he went to check it he couldn't find it. He was perplexed but before he had time to look into it his program signaled it was finished. The wireframe of a battlemon appeared on the ground in front of Enzo, it's skin texture slowly filling in from the top down. Enzo grinned in satisfaction, but it disappeared quickly as he realized his Pidgey was holding mail for him. He hadn't expected that, or programmed it in intentionally. A bug?

"Uh. Can I see that Arc?"

The bird cooed and flutted up to his shoulder, dropping the message into Enzo's extended hand. He untied the string and read the message. DA? Hangar 2? ... Wundersquids?

"Huh."

He heard the others relay messages back and forth. It sounded like they'd all received similar mail. Not a fluke, then.

I'll meet you guys there.

"Sorry Arc, I'm going to have to send you right back."

He activated the program again, ignoring the simulated bird's look of reproach. There would be time to fine tune and mess with this later.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:40 am

Emily had spent a bit of time coordinating with Enzo on the teleport coding, making a few tweaks to her own code in line with their experiences. She'd also been spending a bit of time with Juliet, checking on how she was doing in the wake of their expedition into her head.

The message came as a bit of a surprise. She wasn't sure who'd send something like that, but it definitely bore looking into. It looked like the others had similar ideas.

There in five minutes, she sent, transferring herself to her physical body and making tracks for the hangar.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:26 pm

As it happens the entire team is up and waiting at the elevator at the same time. As the doors slide open, the assembled group sees Juliet waiting inside. She immediately shies away into the corner, seemingly uncomfortably in her own metal skin.

Again.

"So...Uh, y-you all...You all got the message, too? I, uh...I thought maybe it was Byrd messing with me. ...Again."

She tucks herself into the corner, staying quiet the rest of the way down to the hangar. AS the doors slide open again, the kids see a few changes have been made. The mechs that Casey had been working feverishly on for the last week have been packed up and placed into the holding bay with all the rest. In the middle of the hangar is a large square platform, with a large pillar extending up several more feet above the platform itself. Over the middle of the center of the platform hangs a large metal hook, used to hold up D-52's mecha when their legs are being serviced.

Standing on the edge of the platform is...A wunderkind. But the children's systems aren't identifying them, and they're not in the system. She stands just over four feet tall, and their armor is black and dark grey. They wear a long black...Robe? Over their suit, and their short black hair hangs over their right eye. They're...Pretty androgynous, even for a preteen.

But the striking thing is the staff. At arm's length, they hold a staff nearly two and a half times taller than they are. Fat on both ends and skinny in the middle and clearly made of metal, it would be nearly impossible for a non-Wunderkind to hold up at all.

"Hi!" The Wunderkind says with a big grin. "My name's Dee-Aye. Like, the letter D, and the letter A. I'm really bored, so we're going to play a little game!"

DA thinks for a moment, biting her lower lip. "Maybe not a game, but...Well, we're going to play! I'm bored of pwning noobs on Duty's Shout Online, so I thought I'd come check you guys out!" She smiles sweetly at the group, shifting her weight. "We're gonna have a little play fight. If you win, I'll give you what's in that big, mag-locked box over there. See? I even drop loot! So when you're ready, grab your weapons and step up!"

Enzo, Sam:
Spoiler:
You know this girl. Other than the change of hair color, she looks exactly like that girl you met at the mall last Winterviel!

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:48 pm

After she finishes her introduction, Sam's the first to speak up, stepping forward from the others.

"...Hey, I remember you! You were at the mall! Remember, Enzo?"

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:20 am

"well, I don't," Silvie huffed. "Just who is this girl?"

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 am

Enzo recognized her pretty quickly. You don't just forget someone after they jump into an LED display in front of you. The fainting stunt with Sam came to mind as well.

"She's DA... Sam, Alexis and I met her in the mall back around Winterveil. Sam kinda invited her to come see us some time. She's... well, she's kinda over the top but she was friendly last time we met."

Also really snarky.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:39 pm

So, we don't have to worry about her, right? No tricks, no messing with us, no nothing, right?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Probably? We were only talking to her for like 15 minutes last time. I guess it's hard to say.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:00 pm

How often do we meet new wunderkind that don't want to mess with us, at least a little bit?

Max is cool with it, though. This girl doesn't seem to be openly antagonistic, just curious and competitive. That's something he can get behind. "Grab our weapons?" he says, nonchalantly. "Are we having a play fight with live ammo?"

Suddenly Max wonders if D52 would actually be okay with this. Probably not, although it does sound like fun.

"Also, how did you get in here?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:29 am

She didn't seem too bad or anything last time, though...a little weird, and she said some weird stuff, but she didn't try and trick us or anything before.

Sam looks over towards DA, considering what DA said about herself back when. With just the slightest bit of nervousness, he speaks up to her. "...yeah, this...um...it's not gonna be dangerous for anyone, is it?" With what she told him before, though he does his best not to show it, he suddenly finds himself hit with a blast of nervousness out of nowhere. "It's a game, it's just for fun, right?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:22 am

DA leans against the...What is that thing, a flagpole? Whatever it is, she leans against it, checking her 'nails', despite the fact she's wearing thick Wunderkind gloves. "You'd be surprised how lax your security can be. But yeah! This is totes just for funsies. So what're you wunderbabbies worried about?"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:11 am

"Well, would it be a fair fight?" Emily asked casually, "There is only the one of you after all. Got a few tricks up your sleeve?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:38 pm

"I think it'll be about square." DA says, making a square figure in the air with her fingers. "Nothing to worry about!"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:18 pm

"Well...okay..." Moving towards the edge of the arena, Sam glances over DA's odd...weapon(?) before grabbing his own.

"...if it's just for fun. Are we fighting you, then?" He doesn't yet step onto the platform, still looking her over, thinking over what she told him back in the mall. For what she claimed to be, she's such an odd presence, and it's hard to know just what she might have in mind despite what she says.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:39 pm

"Fair enough," Emily said, "Dibs on any purples," she concluded, with a smile to show she kidding. With that, she headed over to retrieve that over-sized sword of hers from her locker. She probably hadn't been devoting enough time to practicing with it, but a friendly match ought to serve as practice in its own right.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:23 am

Enzo pulled his cane from it's slot in his right forearm, extending it to it's full length with a flick. He walked with it just behind and to the side of Sam. He still didn't like fights, but he managed a cautious grin. Just a game, just sparring. Practice. He resisted the urge to activate his chip, feeling that would be too aggressive.

As he stepped onto the platform, DA was marked with an icon that would allow the others to track her so long as she was in someone's field of vision. The icon was checkered white and red, practice target.

Everyone ready?

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:13 am

Ready here! As they wait, Sam only gets more excited at the prospect; the first time he's been out doing something since the last mission, and it's a fight with DA? The more he thinks on it, the cheerier he gets, and he actually grins as he waits for things to kick off in earnest.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs