The Planewalkers' Journies

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Re: The Planewalkers' Journies

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:35 pm

"Yer damn right, yer done!"

Flea came running back out of nowhere with a bundle of...Assorted things. "Stay away from my well! It's MINE. I didn't give you permission to go in! Now go back in and come out like you never went in in the first place and GET AWAY FROM MY WELL."

She dropped her collection of crap and put up her fists like she was more than ready to punchify someone's mandibles off.

Angelica
The Doorkeeper

Unread postby Angelica » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Sunny waited, holding her breath. Her heart was beating much faster than it should have been, but it would probably be safe for a few more minutes. If she was lucky, they would keep talking, and then she could get out before Gaath'lir came back. In the meantime, she kept her eyes focused on the ruins around her, looking for any signs of life.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:25 am

Astral Plane - TorNav'Roc
Gith Warehouse

No sign in the ruins around Sunny, nothing but the floating corpses that the githyanki have still refrained from clearing. Gaath'lir heads away and out of sight, as the two inside indeed continue their conversation.

"...Perhaps you are right, yes." She can hear him sigh. "I may have been overeager."

"No different than usual, eh?" A light snort from Jen'lig. "Leave that side of things to me, 'cass. Besides, we don't wish to turn him against 'Li yet, just encourage some healthy distrust. We haven't figured out the well yet, after all."

"True enough. So...have you thought any more on that question?"

A bit of light laughter. "With that kind of power? Carve out a nice home for ourselves in the Outlands, perhaps. I'm tired of the Astral."

"Oh? Second thoughts on Sigil?"

"Eh...too many zerth and too much government for my taste. And I've spent far too much time under the eyes of an all-powerful goddess-mage as it is."

While Sunny focuses on the chatter...a bit of motion does catch her eye. In the nearby ruins of an adjacent building, just for an instant...but there was definitely some sort of motion there...and there's another. Too short and too long to be humanoid; quadrupedal, and no more than half her height at best.

Well

"I doubt Gaath'lir will-" Tonuin'li looks over as Flea bursts out, letting off a small laugh. She glances back to Lorraine and Kongunvir. "Well...I should stay here, but I suppose that answers the question, hmm? Turning back to Flea, she continues, "Not that I can imagine needing to guard much with you there to stand watch; you'd fend off just about everything, yes?"

Walking the City

She heads over quietly, taking a look at Rosalyn's find. "What is it? It looks like...dirt? But strangely colored. And...I haven't seen any dirt anywhere." Before she can say more, some motion overhead catches her eye. She looks up as the sound of light cries echoes down; a small flock of silvery, glittering birds, no more than a half-dozen, flying from the city and off into the distance, out into the endless void. She watches as they go, receding into the distance as their cries grow ever quieter.

Passed perception check for Sunny

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:13 am

Lorraine just rolls her eyes at Flea. She definitely didn't like her by this point, and was starting to feel bad that she had almost mistaken her for Shawn when they first met.

"See you after your shift, then."

She then turned and headed back, thinking about what she'd learned and how she might be able to learn more.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Kongunvir looked at Flea with a mixture of amusement and bemusement. Still the same loud mouthed, impetuous thing she was before, but now she was ranting gibberish instead of taunting her foes. He was becoming less and less sure what to make of her. Still, she provided a distraction from another dead end. Sure, they knew what may have been in the well. They may have even learned something about the plague. There was no finality to this, though. Not like there had been with the abominable automata and their ruined city. Just a butchered town, a group of dubious survivors and the mystery of the well.

"Watch out for those claim jumpers." he said, smiling to Flea and nodding to Tonuin'li before following after Lorraine.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Flea was getting ready to throw a rock at the back of Lorraine's head before she kinda-sorta heard what her best friend Dwarfenshmirtz was saying.

Now she stuck imagining clams in school uniforms.

That idea could be very profitable to the right people.

Angelica
The Doorkeeper

Unread postby Angelica » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Change of plans. Sunny reached up and pulled her bow and an arrow from her quiver. With her bow nocked, she began circling away from the building in the ruins, hoping to move into the cover of the ruins, pass the creatures and get back to the well without attracting their attention. This had definitely been a bad plan. She shouldn't have come out here alone. At least she got what she came for. Now she just needed to get back to the well in one piece.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Gith Warehouse

Knocking her bow, Sunny begins moving away as quickly as she can manage and still stay in hiding from...whatever it is in the ruins. They give no signs of notice as she weaves through the destruction, and before long, she's out of sight.

Along the way back to the well, she spots Lorraine and Kongunvir on their walk back "home". Just the two of them, with no sign of Tonuin'li or Flea...

Sunny continues her run with another easy Stealth check vs. the whatever-they-ares.

Angelica
The Doorkeeper

Unread postby Angelica » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Sunny relaxed, letting her bow drop to her side, although she still held the arrow loosely in place. As long as the two of them were here, she may as well speak to them. If anything had gone wrong at the well, she didn't want to go back there, although from the look of things, nothing terrible had happened. She walked towards Kongunvir and Lorraine, moving quickly through the rubble.

Once she thought they had noticed her, she called out a greeting.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:16 pm

The half-elf chuckled and looked to the goblin, "I have heard that gods live their lives similarly to us... I suppose the acknowledgement of other gods isn't strong enough to keep them alive... but it is just a theory if at all that, debated I am sure in the halls of Sigil even at this day..." he grins at Garick but says nothing, instead watching after the birds.

"It makes sense to build a city like this, if this is indeed a body of a deceased god... I would assume they keep their shape even in death..."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Lorraine turned once she had noticed Sunny, and responded to the hail once it was made. She hurried to close the distance between them so they could dispense with shouting, and once that was done:

"What have you learned?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:22 am

Since things are essentially wrapped up, I'll be moving things on some time tonight or tomorrow; people should get any last posts in they want or need to make before then!

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:17 am

Not much time later, most of the party gathers back at their temporary home base within the ruined city, discussing the results of their various expeditions over the last couple hours. They've each met with some level of success, and some level of failure, but if nothing else, they have more knowledge to work from now than they did this morning. Still, there are nagging questions yet to be answered; perhaps the coming "night" and its dreams will reveal enough to let them make the leap to a solution?

Group-wide CI for now, to let people share their findings and theories before we skip on to the next round of dreams. Shaun has some plans potentially brewing, so until the two of us get a chance to talk them over, go ahead and chat with one another. If anyone needs a skill roll or anything of that sort before posting, PM me and I'll take care of it and let you know the results. And anything someone would reasonably have done before getting back here and that wouldn't require any sort of check, go ahead and assume you did it, don't worry about checking with me first. Gonna be on the road most of today, but if anyone PMs me while I'm gone, I'll try to get back to you from my phone.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:28 am

Kongunvir shared what little he'd discovered or, rather, what Lorraine had deduced. Something had likely been trapped within the well, sealed in there by magical capstones. "It might be that the plague itself was locked up down there," he speculated, "though if that was the case it would mean two things; either that this plague spreads quickly and by mysterious means or that we're looking at multiple, simultaneous outbreaks across the planes." He refrained from voicing the more outlandish elements of his theory.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:43 pm

All right, since things are really slow here as it is, I'm going to put Planewalkers on hiatus until I get back from vacation, which'll be July 27th. Players can keep posting, that's fine with me, but I won't be making any GMing posts until then. Hopefully when I get back, people'll be more active, though :D

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:09 am

((Gah, I'm sorry I've been so fucking distacted by all these prices and values))

Salix had been quiet in thought for a while, but as Kongunvir spoke about the curse being locked inside the well, his brow furrowed.

"I am fairly certain we are currently residing on the body of a dead god." he paused, unsure if he should continue...

"This is just a theory, but... if, as you suspect, the plague originated from the well, then... it's the dead god who is the source of this plague. But as you say, it must have spread fast for this to be true... perhaps the other bodies... if there are any, likewise carry a cursed plague like this? And if it wasn't the plague that was locked up... what was?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:39 am

Kongunvir grimaced as the scholar reminded him of exactly what they were standing on. He'd heard tales of fallen gods forming new lands in the creation myths of other races but actually standing atop one was distinctly unsettling. It took him a moment to reply, a frown creeping onto his face as his mind drifted towards the worst possibilities.

"The plague may have come from this dead god, as you suspect it might, but I do not think it is the one that crafted it. We'll all heard tales of gods falling ill. What if this is one of the victims of the plague and its corpse an incubator for it?"

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 am

"I haven't seen a lot of corpses needing malevolent intent to have diseases growing in them," Rosalyn put in. "No reason why a god corpse would be any different, as far as I know."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Garick scratched his head, trying to piece it all together. "So, if it's a sickness that's emanating from this here body, then why don't we destroy it? I mean, we'll need to get everybody off before, but otherwise this sickness is just going to keep spreading."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:59 am

Salix gave a little shrug and a sigh. "If it is indeed this body, or even others, that are the source of this strange malignancy... then as you say, the best cure would be destroying it... but how would we be able to? I know of no magic or weapon strong enough to destroy the body of a god, dead or otherwise... and we are still on it."

He looked between the others and scratched his cheek thoughtfully. "I wonder how old this well is, and if it's connected to the disease... if that is the case, maybe the cure is simpler to find out...

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:40 am

"Maybe the well is letting the disease out. Plug up the hole and the humors stop leaking out, you know?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:34 am

"Good idea," Kongunvir said with a grave nod, "but we'll likely require powerful magics for that, otherwise we could have fixed it by now." He looked to Lorraine for confirmation that this was as difficult a task as he thought it was.

Angelica
The Doorkeeper

Unread postby Angelica » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:59 am

Sunny had sat quietly and listened for some time, but now it seemed she should volunteer some information. The sooner they got off this plane, the better. She stared at the floor while she spoke, still thinking hard about what she had overheard.

"I don't know what we need to do, but from what the other gith said earlier, I think we should be able to control this power, at least enough to stop the plague." Sunny wasn't sure how much she should tell the others. "They're fighting with each other. Tonuin'li is on her own, Mericass and Jen'lig, seem to be allied against the others, and the last one, Gaath'lir, I think he's on his own, too, but it seems the others won't challenge him directly. Not yet. And he worships some queen. After he left, the others said something about an all-powerful goddess-mage. I think they were talking about the same queen. Right now, I'm more worried about her, and about the giths' plotting, than I am about the well." She paused, then continued, "I think we can trust Toniun'li. If I'm right about this, then I think she'll need us."

She finally looked up, trying to gauge her companions' reactions.

"As for the well, we should be able to control it. Between us, we have more knowledge and capability with magic than the giths, unless they have some kind of incredible secret powers. And if that was the case, I doubt they would tolerate their companions, let alone our presence here."

There really wasn't anything else to say, so she just leaned back against the wall and waited for a response.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Garick listened to all of it and tried to take in all the information he'd heard, but frankly, all this talk of magic and disease was making his head hurt. He tried to figure it all out, but something about it just kept escaping him. He was sure that if he had more knowledge of the arcane it would have all made sense to him, but alas he had always found a good sharp edge and a good whack from something solid could fix all his problems. Garick listened to Sunny explain... something. "Argh!" Garick said in frustration, violently ruffling his hair to clear his head and unscramble his thoughts on the subject, whatever little there were. It didn't work. He sighed and sat down. "I hate magic..."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Lorraine could only offer the dwarf a shrug.

"The enchantments on the well weren't especially powerful. I couldn't tell you how complex they were, though. So... There's no being certain." She paused when Sunny put in her thoughts. Then:

"Control it? Can you be more specific about what they said that makes you think that?"

Angelica
The Doorkeeper

Unread postby Angelica » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:32 am

"They mentioned the well, and then said something about using that power. It sounded like they thought they could harness it and use it to leave here, go somewhere else and start a new life. They seemed certain that they could use it to leave everyone else behind and improve their fortunes, although they said that they hadn't figured out the well yet. It's an odd thing to say. Makes me think that they know about the power it contained, but maybe the well is getting in their way somehow, as if it's not totally broken." She grinned wryly, "Maybe it's just leaking."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Hello! Back from vacation, so the hiatus will be ending very shortly. I'm going to give folks a chance to get any last posts in beforehand just so the jump doesn't come in from out of nowhere, but once I start things back up, we're going to head into this night's sleep unless I get huge objections to that or anything. :O

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Astral Plane - Tor'NavRoc

The Planewalkersdiscuss recent events, sharing information on their various discoveries; time (or at least its closest equivalent on the Astral) passes by, and the spectre of fatigue begins to overtake the various travelers once more. Soon, they feel the urges of sleep begin to take them. Windows are covered, blocking the never-ending glow of the plane, though even that doesn't completely darken the interior. Still, it serves well enough to allow the various people to get their sleep.

Even at the well, where Flea has staked her claim, the tug of sleep begins hitting her mind. She could brush off the sensation, but here, something about it makes the feeling especially tempting.

And those that do fall into sleep...once more dream dreams that seem to not be their own.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 pm

Kongunvir was in a dour mood when he awoke, though that was hardly remarkable given his disposition over the past few days. He waited till a couple of the others woke up before asking them the question he already knew the answer to.

"Another round of dreams, then?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Garick woke up and immediately grabbed for his weapons, looking about him frantically, as if he was expecting a fight at any second. When he realized that they were still right where they were supposed to be, and that they weren't going to be attacked, he let down his guard and got up, rubbing his face vigorously.

"Yeah, freaky dreams. Damned illithid always give me the creeps."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Quick question for all the players: is there anyone who specifically isn't describing their dreams to the others? For everyone else, I'll be posting a summary of everyone's dreams, to help people work out a next step.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:54 pm

"Mmm."

She sat up looking more refreshed than she had the previous night, something of a satisfied smirk on her face as she rubbed sleep from her eyes.

"I learned something last night. Shall we review?"

(Lorraine will be disclosing everything)

Angelica
The Doorkeeper

Unread postby Angelica » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Sunny opened her eyes when Kongunvir spoke, but she didn't move for a few minutes.

Finally, she rolled over and sat cross-legged, staring at her lap with a blank expression as she mentally replayed the events of her dream.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:26 pm

(OOC: Garick will be recounting his dream time adventures as well.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Here's the dreams from those recounting them:
  • Kongunvir dreamt of fighting with his allies underground against a horde of mind flayers, pushing forward until encountering an elven woman, claiming that Kongunvir's people were killing both the flayers and the elves, and that they could better fight the flayers if they worked together. She drops a brooch; first dream it looked like dwarven make, but the second one he could tell it was githyanki. He reaches the well and hears Salix's voice. The first dream, a small book with githyanki text fell out the hole; the second dream, a dwarven cup with elven runes and a note from Lorraine.
  • Garick had a dream like Kongunvir's at first, only he saw friends and enemies alike fighting the mind flayers, who were almost defeated. They wiped out the last few, Garick grabbed a pouch off the belt of one of them. One of his enemies talked to him weirdly, but like a friend, saying something about the flayers doing something and about his research into dreams, when he saw a last surviving straggler. He chased it to the well, where he heard Sunny's voice coming from the hole. He woke up before he did anything in the well though.
  • Rosalyn's goblin had a dream kind of like both of theirs, fighting mind flayers, only in hers it started out with her speaking with...someone, she couldn't tell who. They were familiar, but cloaked in black, impossible to tell any details. They were talking about putting differences behind them, working together against the flayers. They did, the flayers appeared, and they began to fight. The goblin and some other shadowy figures chased a trio of them into a side room, finishing them off, where she found a fine cloak she decided to keep. After leaving the room, the goblin was suddenly back in the city, in front of the well. Inside, she heard Salix whispering. Things were mostly the same the second time, only she put the cloak into the well, where it seemed like it sucked it in.
  • Lorraine dreamt of being in the library where she first began to learn magic, meeting a fellow student who said she was late for...something. Some of the strangeness clued her into the fact that it was a dream, but not one she had total control over; she could feel a second presence there, guiding and forming the dream. Some kid complimented her and gave her a small reader in Githyanki before running off; she tried to read through it, and could half-understand it somehow. After some more exploring, she eventually found the well, and heard Kongunvir's voice coming from it. She pulled the hole bigger, trying to climb through; the book vanished, and she woke up. Second time, she dream-made the cup Kongunvir found, passed it through, when a glowing rock dropped out of her well's tunnel. Then she made the note, and passed it through.
  • Rosalyn dreamt of being in an endless plain, like the Outlands only with no Spire. She started walking off at random, eventually running into her instructor. He warned her about how she talked to "them", and that "their queen" would eventually find out she was training with them, forcing her to choose between then. They walked up a mountain path through the clouds, eventually emerging at the summit, where she saw the Astral stretch out overhead, and Limbo stretch out below, and he handed her a ring, mentioning the "Sha'sal Khou", that organization she asked Tonuin'li about the other day. The trail reached all the way to the horizon now, where the two planes seemed to meet, and as she walked down it, she eventually came to the well. She heard the Goblin there, and a small silver dagger fell out her hole. Her second dream went much the same as the first, though the figure of her instructor had a different feel to him, like he was one of those dream figures you recognize even though you've never met them before. The dagger appeared again too.
  • Salix dreamt of being in a wide forest that was familiar, but he couldn't place it. He was a child again, as were the people he met, other childhood friends of his from Sigil. They talked about how different it would be there, and how they'd never see this place again. One of them handed him a plush bird, and they led him to a portal, through which he was in TorNav'Roc. He went to the well - his whispering was from Trivale - and the bird was suddenly real. It started to fly away, but he caught it; it was plush again, and he put it through the hole. He tried to crawl to Trivale through the hole, but he woke up. Second time around events up to the well were mostly the same. He put the bird into the hole this time, and a cloak fell out. He tried to use his druidic powers to collapse the well, and it worked, but as soon as he did, he snapped wide awake with a start.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:51 pm

Lorraine looked perplexed. She kept turning the stories over in her head, trying to make logical sense of them. The Gith were an obvious theme to most of these dreams, as were the elves and the mindflayers. It was, from what little she knew, not incompatible with Gith history. Maybe the Gith used to look like elves? It was hard to say. Any number of things could account for the discrepancy, especially the dreamers. Two things stuck out to her:

"... So none of you sent the glowing rock, or the dagger. They appeared from the holes almost spontaneously. They either came from the entity that is connecting and altering the dreams, or we're not the only ones experimenting. Would you all agree with that?"

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:51 am

"It seems unlikely gith were elves before, or else they would share their longevity, but shouldn't discard theory. Someone, or something, is, or are, obviously influencing our dreams. Thought it was this place first, not so sure now. Trinkets belong to them, or are hints left by them, I wonder about the bird though... my cloak is probably yours," he nods to the goblin.

"Hauntings, perhaps? Spirits of the recently deceased, would explain mindflayers and gith, old enemies."

Angelica
The Doorkeeper

Unread postby Angelica » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:21 pm

"Actually, Lorraine, I think the stone was mine. I had a stone like that, and I actually went into the tunnel before I woke up. Maybe the stone fell through? But I was someone. I was a person who had researched dreams and they wanted me to do something with the well." Sunny looked around at her companions. "Who were all of you?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Hesitantly, the goblin speaks up after Sunny. "Flea's not here...maybe it was from her? Or Trivale?" He looks to the quiet tiefling. "What was your dream last night, Trivale?"

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:16 am

"Where... is Flea anyway?"

Salix had to admit he hadn't been missing the somewhat... overbearing person's presence, but if she'd been lost or, worse, attacked they needed to find her. As soon as possible.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs