Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
gsteelwraith

Re: Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:17 pm

[quoteAmbrose points up at the fresco above the threshold to the corridor from which the glow and the voice emerged.

"I think that's supposed to be us," he says.
][/quote]

Leveticus makes the sign of the Aquila, and then replies, "I think you're right. The similarities are too close to be coincedence."

Kara stops suddenly; "Ah... I think you're right. I have no desire to be the main course at this feast. We need to either flee or put a stop to this."

Leveticus will glance toward Kara, and say, "What do you have in mind? I have no desire to be the meat of the issue myself, and I'm not so sure anything I have can stop ghosts. Although, I will admit, the sound of automatic weaponsfire right now would have certain theraputic benefits right about now."

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:16 pm

(Waiting for Jim, then will move on.)

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:27 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:
Leveticus will glance toward Kara, and say, "What do you have in mind? I have no desire to be the meat of the issue myself, and I'm not so sure anything I have can stop ghosts. Although, I will admit, the sound of automatic weaponsfire right now would have certain theraputic benefits right about now."

Kara smiles wickedly; "I'd expect if we flee we'll face a firing squad for shirking our duty whereas we are only 'likely' to die if we press forward. I say we use our guns rather than have them used on us!"

Besides, these shades in and of themselves do not appear to be evil but they may be manipulated for evil means so all may not be totally against us."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 pm

"If we are sent through time, how can they possibly depict us?" She was standing on the balls of her feet, a look of slight worry on her face. "What wytchery is this to create images of us....?"

She couldn't help but look at the frescoe, hand still on the hilt of her blade, but her face scrounging up as she studied th ewall.

"...We cannot fight the ghosts... but perhaps they cannot fight us. I pray there is no more foulness from the empyrean involved..."

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:57 pm

ChristianC wrote:"If we are sent through time, how can they possibly depict us?" She was standing on the balls of her feet, a look of slight worry on her face. "What wytchery is this to create images of us....?"

She couldn't help but look at the frescoe, hand still on the hilt of her blade, but her face scrounging up as she studied th ewall.

It's obvious from the image that the figures that are supposedly representing you are not being eaten or sacrficed, but are bowing down to the table or altar in positions of worship or supplication or submission.

The one holding the sword has a near-perfect duplicate of one of Chani's tattoos on her arm.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:03 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:
It's obvious from the image that the figures that are supposedly representing you are not being eaten or sacrficed, but are bowing down to the table or altar in positions of worship or supplication or submission.

The one holding the sword has a near-perfect duplicate of one of Chani's tattoos on her arm.

<ooc> True... but it's a short step from worship to sacrifice and then cats and dogs living together. :) </ooc>

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:15 am

(OK, if I don't hear from Alex in the next day, I'll just say that Jim is looking around like everybody else, not doing anything. Anybody else want to do anything? Prime, do you head toward the light and the shouting man's voice?)

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:38 pm

<ooc> Lay on McDuff... </ooc>

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Leveticus will continue to observe, he's not of a mind to approach the direction he heard the voice.
"If we are sent through time, how can they possibly depict us?" She was standing on the balls of her feet, a look of slight worry on her face. "What wytchery is this to create images of us....?"

"...We cannot fight the ghosts... but perhaps they cannot fight us. I pray there is no more foulness from the empyrean involved..."

"I'd rather not rush in, and I don't believe Brother Jenkins is calling to us. Oldest trick in the book using a familiar voice to lure others into a trap."

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:46 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:
"I'd rather not rush in, and I don't believe Brother Jenkins is calling to us. Oldest trick in the book using a familiar voice to lure others into a trap."

Jim stands around doing whatever he is doing.

Ambrose says dubiously, "it sounds just like Brother Jenkins."

The voice shouts again from the darkness "AMBROSE! We must begin! A miracle! MIRACLE! ETERNAL LIFE! I have recreated the Miracle of the Feast! We can read it together Ambrose! ETERNAL GLORY!"

"HA! And you have worshippers with you!"

(You no doubt all remember that you are underneath the Cathdedral of Our Lady of the Feast, this Feast in question being the devouring of St. Altheria that miraculously saved a whole town and led Famine to accept the Imperial Creed. Or so says legend.)

The last person has stepped up and received his plate, knife, and fork. The people form a semicircle behind you. The man who was passing out the cutlery and the man who was finishing the frescoe join the circle.

They all stare at you soundlessly, expectantly, riveting you with their sunken eyes. Frail, starved fingers clutch their plates and knives.

Spoiler for Jim:

Spoiler:
Scrutiny tells you that the person up ahead shouting seems to be quite insane.

Spoiler for Leveticus:

Spoiler:
Scrutiny tells you that the person up ahead shouting to be quite insane.
Last edited by InquisitorChris on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Kara looks about at the spectral citizens gathered around in anticipation. "It seems the die is cast. Let us see what this miracle that Brother Jenkins has found. In the swamps sometimes the best way to face danger is to run; I don't think this is that case." She walked forward toward the other room, threading her way carefully through the specters.

<ooc> There... that fits the posting thread. </ooc>
Last edited by helvorn on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:48 pm

And I await Alex, who I am sure would want Jim to do something here.

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Kara looks about at the spectral citizens gathered around in anticipation. "It seems the die is cast. Let us see what this miracle that Brother Jenkins has found. In the swamps sometimes the best way to face danger is to run; I don't think this is that case." She walked forward toward the other room, threading her way carefully through the specters.

OOC: In regards to spoiler: You aint a whistlin' Dixie there.

Leveticus takes up his autogun, and pulls the bolt back. "In the name of the Immortal Emperor of Mankind, may He guide our steps, and lead us not into damnation. May he bless those whom strike down the Fallen and the Lost in His name. In spiritu dominatus." He will step forward, and follow Kara.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:07 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:
OOC: In regards to spoiler: You aint a whistlin' Dixie there.

<ooc> I guess we'll find out soon... </ooc>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Jim had been struck dumb by the whole spectacle. He'd never seen anything like it. It was only when he saw himself depicted, kneeling in supplication to whatever wretched power was responsible for this, that shock gave way to anger. He was tired of this. Tired of being trapped in the dark, the unnatural assailing him from all sides as the wytch rambled on about how unnatural it was. He was tired of the frescoes, of what they depicted and all the other warp-spawned sights of this place. Leveticus was right; what this place needed was a purging, a sentiment that he'd never truly held before.

"Father," he said, glancing at Ambrose, "your good brother's lost it. Completely. Now, we're going to go in there and we're going to beat the hell out of him. Then we're going to beat down anyone else who's ranting on about feasts and eternal life. Then we're going to smash anything that even looks the slightest bit unholy."

He turned back towards the direction Jenkins voice was coming from, squaring his shoulders. "And don't read whatever damn book your pal's yapping about. Obviously."

(If unobstructed Jim's going to march forward and beat down anyone in his path that doesn't look like they're good, sane Emperor-fearing sorts. Provided nothing horrible causes him to reconsider his course of action.)

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:11 pm

Chani nodded in agreement with Jim, a look of determination washing away the doubt she'd felt.

He was right, this place was unholy. She had had her doubts about the piousness of the people here, and obviously this ritual, whether a thing of the past, present or future, disturbed her greatly. If the warp was at work here, the Lord Conductor was clearly not. It had to be purged.

"Lead the way, Jim, I shall gladly aid you in this scene"

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:04 pm

You head forward in the following order, judging by order of posts:

Kara with knife drawn and compact laspistol holstered. Ambrose goes beside her, knife in hand.
Leveticus with autopistol drawn and hammer at belt/over his back/wherever it is, next to Jim with club in hand.
Chani with sword sheathed and compact laspistol holstered.

(You probably want to read the following attentively.)

As you walk forward, the eyes of the "ghosts" seem to follow you, but looking through you at the same time, as if whatever they were looking at was not quite matching up with you, but was as it were just over your shoulder.

The hall is about 5 meters long. As you walk down it, the sickly green glow grows and Brother Jenkin or whoever it is keeps shouting.

"You have come Ambrose and have those who will partake with you! Glory glory GLORY!"

You step into the room. It like the rest of the catacombs is covered with frescoes and the empty torch sconces. It is about 10 meters on a side and 3 meters in height. The remains of very old wooden furniture lie about in bits and pieces. A very very old-looking laspistol lies on the floor. Directly opposite you, floating in midair at the opposite end of the room, is the 30-cm-tall statue of the emaciated six-armed woman with the hair of worms or snakes you were sent to investigate. It glows with a green light, enough to dimly illuminate the room even without Leveticus' glow-lamp. On the floor beneath it and to one side lies the oval stone covered in ridges that was an additional object of your mission. Around them lie bits and shards of twisted metal.

"Hahahaha! It whispered to me Ambrose! Ulha whispered, she is asleep, hides, but I heard. They thought the wards would hold, but this place was Ulha's seat! HER THRONE ON THE ABOVE! Where she did battle with the False Saint and fell asleep. Woe it was, WOE for Famine! But the Feast of Life survives all blasphemy! It called and the key came with you and it opened!"

In the middle of the room is a large rockcrete desk, which looks very incongruous given the decay and debris, positioned lengthwise toward you. It is about 12 feet away, so you can get a reasonably good look at it.

Ambrose looks sicks to his stomach and rapidly makes the sign of the Aquilla. "Brother Jenkins...," he moans in horror.

On the desk is a naked male corpse. It has been dismembered. At one end -- the end nearest to you -- lie a pair of severed crossed hands. The legs, with feet, have been severed from the body and lie on each side of the torso. The severed handless arms rest below the torso, above the crossed hands. At the far end is the severed head of a young, dark-haired man. There is no blood.

No doubt you all remember the stained-glass panel in the cathedral above:

InquisitorChris wrote: A crowd gathers around a table, knives in their hands and hopeful, ecstatic expressions on their faces. Upon the table are plates piled high with meat. At one end of the table, on a platter, lies the severed head of the woman in the second window. Her eyes are open, and she looks serenely down at the ongoing. At the opposite end rest two severed hand crossed together, also on a platter.

Two cherubim squat on the table, one to either side of the body. Unlike the cherubim you saw earlier, these cherubim appear to have undergone no degenerative process. They are chubby and healthy- and demented-looking as normal. However, their heads are about three times the normal size, because their jaws and mouths have become immense. They turn their heads to look at you with huge Cheshire Cat grins with enormous, almost ridiculous-looking, buck teeth.

One of them SQWAKS!!! at you and spreads its wings like some kind of strange bird warning interlopers away from its nest.

The other one inclines its head over the corpse and takes a huge bite out of the torso, bends its head back and chews. Organs pulse within, but no blood pours from the wound.

You can see more cherubim in the background, two or three of them hopping around. The floor is covered with droppings.

(Note that cherubim normally neither eat nor defecate nor sqwak.)

The eyes of the severed head roll around in their sockets. Its mouth opens.

"AMBROOOSE!!!" The head shouts. "My disciples all of you and the key! You must begin the Feast! We await! Then we find!"

"ETERNAL LIFE!!!! WE WILL LEARN THE SECRET AND DO IT TOGETHER!"

The cherubim takes time out from its chewing to rip off the man's penis and shove it into the mouth of the speaking severed head, which swallows it whole. For some reason, it doesn't shoot out of the bottom of his neck.

"LIFE!!!" he screams rapturously, licking his lips.

<<ooc>> This is some serious shit. This requires a Noncombat Fear Test with a Fear Rating of 2. As an aside, if you should for whatever reason need to make another Fear Test while the effects of this one are still active, the penalties (other than Insanity Point loss) will not be cumulative; the worst will be used, not a combination of the two. That would be too mean. I realize this part of the scenario is kind of loaded with Fear Tests, but they are kind of to be expected in this situation.<<ooc>>

IF YOU WANT TO SPEND A FATE POINT TO REROLL (AND HAVE ONE TO SPEND), LET ME KNOW. JUST REMEMBER THAT THE RESULT COULD BE WORSE.

Ambrose has a Willpower of 48. Unfortunately he's also Fatigued. So he rolls against 48 - 10 (Fatigue) - 10 (Fear Rating 2) = 28. The roll is 30. failure. he has Unshakeable Faith, so he gets a reroll, which is 28.

Ambrose's faith is great indeed. He passes the Fear Test with no penalties.

Kara has the Little Left to Fear Trait, so the Fear Rating is reduced by 1. So she rolls against her base Willpower of 40. The roll is 90. Failure, missing the role by 50 with 4 Degrees of Failure.

This means that Kara is suffering from Fear and takes 1d5 = 4 Insanity Points. This brings her up to 13 Insanity Points and requires a Mental Trauma Test; she now has an Unsettled sanity level.

She rolls on the Mental Trauma table, with a +40 (from 4 degrees of failure) + 10 (the Trauma Modifier for Unsettled sanity level) = + 50. The roll is 44 + 50 = 94: "Kara is constantly fearful, seeing danger everywhere and extremely jumpy. Kara takes a +10 bonus to all Perception-based Tests and is at -10 penalty to her Willpower for the next 1d5 days." (Amount to be rolled secretly by me.) Making her Willpower now 30.

In short, Kara is close to terror, eyes moving this way and that and hands shaking. She thought she had seen bad things on Dusk!

Chani has a Willpower of 32. 32 - 10 = 22%. She rolls 59, failing by 37 points, meaning she is suffering from Fear and takes 1d5 = 4 Insanity Points, bringing her to 4.

Chani's mind is having a hard time comprehending the sight before her, her heart racing in her chest and gut heaving.

Jim has a Willpower of 33. 33 - 10 = 23. He rolls an 11 and is fine.

Perhaps it was the Arbitrator's inherent pragmatism that preserved his sense of calm.

Finally, Leveticus has a Willpower of 48. 48 - 10 = 38. The roll is 20. Success.

Novice-Initiate Leveticus' nerves had been sorely tested tested by the servitor before, but this time he stood firm, his faith unwavering.

So, Chani and Kara are suffering from Fear (-10 on Tests requiring concentration, i.e., most of them) and Kara has a Mental Trauma. Leveticus, Jim, and Ambrose are fine. Fine as can be expected.

What do you do?
Last edited by InquisitorChris on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:36 pm

<ooc> since I doubt if I'll fail my roll as badly two times in a row let's spend a Fate point for Kara and see what we can manage. </ooc>

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:41 pm

helvorn wrote:<ooc> since I doubt if I'll fail my roll as badly two times in a row let's spend a Fate point for Kara and see what we can manage. </ooc>

OK. Again rolling against her Willpower of 40, unmodified because of Little Left to Fear. The roll is... 38. Success. Saved by Little Left to Fear, in fact.

Kara maintains control of herself. She does not succumb to Fear and gains no Insanity Points or Trauma, but now has 0 Fate Points.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:44 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:
helvorn wrote:<ooc> since I doubt if I'll fail my roll as badly two times in a row let's spend a Fate point for Kara and see what we can manage. </ooc>

OK. Again rolling against her Willpower of 40, unmodified because of Little Left to Fear. The roll is... 38. Success. Saved by Little Left to Fear, in fact.

Kara maintains control of herself. She does not succumb to Fear and gains no Insanity Points or Trauma, but now has 0 Fate Points.

<ooc< much better, I'm out on the road the next few days and may only get to post in the evenings. I'm off to bed now as I'm fighting a nasty cold </ooc>

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:52 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:You head forward in the following order, judging by order of posts:

The eyes of the severed head roll around in their sockets. Its mouth opens.

"AMBROOOSE!!!" The head shouts. "My disciples all of you and the key! You must begin the Feast! We await! Then we find!"

"ETERNAL LIFE!!!! WE WILL LEARN THE SECRET AND DO IT TOGETHER!"

The cherubim takes time out from its chewing to rip off the man's penis and shove it into the mouth of the speaking severed head, which swallows it whole. For some reason, it doesn't shoot out of the bottom of his neck.

"LIFE!!!" he screams rapturously, licking his lips.

Kara moans for just a second, the scene before her taking her back to the horrors of Dusk and worse things. Reaching deeply inside she musters every ounce of faith and inner strength and forces herself to take a step forward. "Emperor's Golden Throne! Ambrose, do the records speak of a pre-Imperial cult?"

She raises her las pistol. "We must put this entity back to sleep by rebuilding the wards or destroying the focus."

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 am

helvorn wrote:
She raises her las pistol.

(The Inquisitor himself mentioned there was a likely pre-Imperial religion.)

I assume this means she has the knife in her offhand?

Will wait for everybody else to post before I continue.

Note that, other than being abominations, nothing here has actually made an offensive move. What's he going to do, spit loogies at you? :)

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Leveticus will glance toward Ambrose, and say in deadpan, "It would seem we've found Brother Jenkins. At a guess, he's come out ahead in these matters." At this point, he's holding his weapon at port arms, but has yet to take hostile action.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:33 pm

"Whelp." Jim said, a mixture of incredulity and disgust written across his face. "This here is ten whole different kinds of fucked up."

Jim raised his maul and charged. He didn't much care what he ended up hitting. Cherubim, the statue, that damn head. Something needed to pay for this insanity and he wasn't feeling too picky after all he'd seen.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Jak Snide wrote:"Whelp." Jim said, a mixture of incredulity and disgust written across his face. "This here is ten whole different kinds of fucked up."

Jim raised his maul and charged. He didn't much care what he ended up hitting. Cherubim, the statue, that damn head. Something needed to pay for this insanity and he wasn't feeling too picky after all he'd seen.

That means combat begins and it's Initiative rolling time. Jim and Leveticus have Fate Points left. Do either of you want to spend one to get an automatic 10 on Initiative?

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:42 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:(The Inquisitor himself mentioned there was a likely pre-Imperial religion.)

I assume this means she has the knife in her offhand?

Note that, other than being abominations, nothing here has actually made an offensive move. What's he going to do, spit loogies at you? :)

<ooc> I was trawling for any information that Ambrose might have that would amplify what we know of the pre-Imperial cult. Speaking of which... I'll have to go back and re-read the briefing from our Inquisitor.

She wasn't necessarily going to attack right off the bat but rather was going to ready the weapon

Kara has the knife in her off hand. She is more carrying it in order to keep an eye on it rather than attempt to use it. She has the hilt wrapped in a section of her shirt so she doesn't have to touch the nasty thing.

</ooc>

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:54 pm

helvorn wrote:
InquisitorChris wrote:

<ooc> I was trawling for any information that Ambrose might have that would amplify what we know of the pre-Imperial cult. Speaking of which... I'll have to go back and re-read the briefing from our Inquisitor.

She wasn't necessarily going to attack right off the bat but rather was going to ready the weapon

Kara has the knife in her off hand. She is more carrying it in order to keep an eye on it rather than attempt to use it. She has the hilt wrapped in a section of her shirt so she doesn't have to touch the nasty thing.

</ooc>

You're in combat now since Jim decided to engage, so Ambrose doesn't have the time to answer.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:04 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:You're in combat now since Jim decided to engage, so Ambrose doesn't have the time to answer.

<ooc> grumble, grumble, grumble... </ooc>

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:15 am

Chani paled significantly at the sight inside the room. She had not been prepared for this, in fact, this was beyond anything she'd come to expect. The squawking cherubim were a mockery, some test deviced by a cruel and utterly alien being. She resisted the urge to fall to her knees and pray to the Great Composer, instead drawing her blade shakingly, her tattoos clearly visible against her sickly pale skin.

"W...we bask in the Light of H-Him Above, none shall stand before us when we are righteous of heart and soul."

And with that she set loose at chopping at whatever was closest. Enough of this madness.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 pm

I have to determine Initiative order before we start the combat, and for that I need to know about the Fate Point thing.
Last edited by InquisitorChris on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:23 pm

OOC: As much as going first would be nice, I'd better be prudent and hold on to them to negate other bad dice rolls.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:21 pm

(Wasn't going to originally but, given the circumstances, I think I shall. Spend fate, max Jim's initiative.)

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:44 pm

Jak Snide wrote:(Wasn't going to originally but, given the circumstances, I think I shall. Spend fate, max Jim's initiative.)

OK. Jim has 1 Fate Point left.

There are five giant-headed buck-teethed freak cherubim, one of which just sqwaked at you, one of which did the ripping off of the penis, and three of which are on the other side of the desk. I shall cleverly refer to them as Cherubim 1-5. They all have Agility Bonuses of 2. Ambrose has an Agility Bonus of 1. Brother Jenkin has an Agility Bonus of 2, but it's not like he is a position to take many actions just right now.

Cherubim 1-2 are sitting on the desk 3.5 meters away (with the corpse and talking head between them) and so you and they are not in Charge range. The other three (should you want to attack them) are on the other side of the desk. Also, note that, unlike the previous Cherubim, these don't look very frenzied. They were just having a snack when you rudely interrupted them.

Note that Chani's sword is not drawn, so she will need to take a Half Action to draw it and won't be able to attack with it this round (Half Action to Ready + Half Action to move into range = no Action left over -- unless I am misremembering the rules for entering into close combat (?)). (She does have a compact laspistol though that she could draw + fire.)

Jim has an AB of 3 and gets an automatic 10. 10 + 3 = 13.
Chani has an AB of 4 and rolls 8 + 4 = 12.
Leveticus has an AB of 2 and rolls 8 + 2 = 10.
Kara has an AB of 3 and rolls 4 + 3 = 7.
Ambrose has an AB of 1 and rolls 7 + 1 = 8.
Brother Jenkin has an AB of 2 and rolls 1 + 2 = 3. Maybe he can bite you if you get too close. :)
Cherubim 1 (on table, the sqwaker) rolls 7 + 2 = 9.
Cherubim 2 (on table, the muncher) rolls 5 + 2 = 7.
Cherubim 3 rolls 7 + 2 = 9.
Cherubim 4 rolls 9 + 2 = 11.
Cherubim 5 rolls 5 + 2 = 7.

Considering this and relative levels of Agility, actions take place in the order of
JIM
CHANI
CHERUBIM 4
LEVETICUS
CHERUBIM 1 AND 3
AMBROSE
KARA
CHERUBIM 2 AND 5
A SEVERED TALKING HEAD

SO, I NEED AN ACTION FROM JIM TO START OFF. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO ATTACK.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:54 pm

Jim ran forward and swung his maul downwards at the most offensive thing in sight; that disembodied, talking head.

(Half-move/charge, attack on the severed head).

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Jak Snide wrote:Jim ran forward and swung his maul downwards at the most offensive thing in sight; that disembodied, talking head.

(Half-move/charge, attack on the severed head).

The desk's 3.5 meters away, just a little too close for a Charge maneuver.

Jim strides forward and swings his Arbites maul down. The head looks up at the descending club with wide, crazed eyes like a lamb about to be slaughtered and shouts "GLORY!!!" Then it tries to roll out of the way.

So, Jim's Weapon Skill 26. The roll is 85.

The head deftly avoids Jim's blow, spinning a bit to one side as the maul thuds down on the desk. It laughs at you. "Hahaha!"

(It didn't actually Dodge, but I thought this was more colorful.)

EDIT: I edited my mechanical description above because Size of the target doesn't affect Weapon Skill.

A MOVE FROM CHANI NOW PLEASE. SEE THE NOTES I MADE ABOUT HER TWO POSTS ABOVE.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:46 pm

((Thought I had the Quickdraw talent, but alas I had not!))

Chani drew her blade none the less, moving warily towards whichever cherubim was closest, ready to strike out should it try to attack her, a slight tremble in her grip.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:09 pm

ChristianC wrote:((Thought I had the Quickdraw talent, but alas I had not!))

Chani drew her blade none the less, moving warily towards whichever cherubim was closest, ready to strike out should it try to attack her, a slight tremble in her grip.

The two Cherubim on the table are roughly equidistant, so totally arbitrarily, I will say that she runs up to the one that screeched at you, which outs Chani at the immediate left of Jim.

CHRUBIM 4 (BEHIND THE TABLE) GOES

With a SCREECH! the Cherubim flings itself into the air straight at Jim, trying to sink its huge teeth in the yummy human flesh.

The Cherubim is not in Charge distance, so it takes a Half Move and attacks. It has a whopping Weapon Skill of 10, plus 10 because it's flying and therefore occupies the "higher ground," in effect if not in reality. So, 10 + 10 = 20, and the roll is... 41.

The flying monster flails around Jim to no effect.

NOW LEVETICUS GOES

Note: I am not sure if you have read the OOC thread, so I'll mention here that I am importing the Rogue Trader rule that allows you to move and fire an automatic weapon as a half move with a -10 penalty and no benefit for auto- or semiauto fire. I mention this because you are just outside of Point Blank Range and can move up into it if you so choose.

So, assuming Leveticus wants to fire his autopistol at the one Cherubim to which he has line of sight and that is not engaged in close combat (the one that took the bite out of the corpse and then fed the head), he has a few basic options:

1. Stay where he is, take a Half Action to Aim, and fire single shot, which will give him a modifier of +10 (Half-Action Aim) + 10 (Short Range) = +20
2. Stay where he is and fire a Full Auto burst, which will give him a modifier of +20 (Full Auto) + 10 (Short Range) = +30
3. Spend the whole turn taking a Full Aim action
4. Take a Half Action to step up a couple of feet and fire Point Blank, which will give him a modifier of +30 (Point Blank) - 10 (Move and Autofire) = +20
5. Take a Half Action to move up and fire single shot, which will give you a modifier of +30 for Point Blank range

Or some variant thereof.

SO, GO LEVETICUS!

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 pm

So, assuming Leveticus wants to fire his autopistol at the one Cherubim to which he has line of sight and that is not engaged in close combat (the one that took the bite out of the corpse and then fed the head), he has a few basic options:

OOC: He plans on shooting it just on general principles.

2. Stay where he is and fire a Full Auto burst, which will give him a modifier of +20 (Full Auto) + 10 (Short Range) = +30

OOC: He'll go with option 2

Leveticus snarls, "In the name of the Immortal Emperor!" and fires off a three-round burst at the offending cherubim.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:23 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:
Leveticus snarls, "In the name of the Immortal Emperor!" and fires off a three-round burst at the offending cherubim.

Autopistols (the basic kind anyway) can't fire semiauto and have a 6-year full auto burst, so I assume you mean the latter.

Leveticus fires a burst of hot lead from his autopistol at the cherubim that is chewing on a hunk of priest.

Ballistic Skill 32 + 10 (Short Range) + 20 (Full Auto Fire) = 62 - 10 (Firng at a Scrawny sized target) = 52%. Leveticus rolls a 78. Sadly, a miss.

The Emperor's plan's for the day must have included Leveticus missing, because his bullets went flying past the Cherubim.

There are 12 bullets left in the gun.

Cherubim 1 and 3 now go. Cherubim 1 is the Cherubim that screeched at you and that Chani just ran up to; Cherubim 3 is behind the desk.

CHERUBIM 1 GOES

Cherubim 1 reacts to Jim's attack on the severed head by letting out some sort of mangled howl.

"AAROOOGA!"

Jim is right next to it, so it decides to try to take a bite out of the Arbitrator.

Not that Jim is now being engaged by 2 opponents and is outnumbered.

Weapon Skill 10 + 10 (Half-Action Aim) + 10 (Outnumbering Opponent Two-to-One) = 30. The roll is 99.

The servitor's lunge is clumsy, coming nowhere near Jim.

CHERUBIM 3 GOES

Cherubim 3 screams like a tortured cat and hurls itself through the air at Jim as well.

Jim is now engaged in close combat with three Cherubim. Maybe they don't like him attacking the head.

Weapon Skill 10 + 10 (it's flying, so it has "high ground") + 20 (Target Outnumbered 3 to 1) = 40. The roll is 100. Jeeze!

The servitor fails to sink its jaws into the Arbitrator.

AMBROSE GOES

The subprelate looks about himself in confusion. He cries out "Jenkin! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?!?!?" and Delays a Half Action.

Finally,

I NEED A MOVE FROM KARA

(Note that all the Cherubim are now engaged in close combat except for one behind the desk that is not in line of sight and the one that Leveticus just shot at, and Jim and Chani are blocking light of sight to the desk or in back of it. So assuming you want to use your pistol there is one target you can shoot at, i.e., the one Leveticus fired at.)

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:39 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:
I NEED A MOVE FROM KARA

(Note that all the Cherubim are now engaged in close combat except for one behind the desk that is not in line of sight and the one that Leveticus just shot at, and Jim and Chani are blocking light of sight to the desk or in back of it. So assuming you want to use your pistol there is one target you can shoot at, i.e., the one Leveticus fired at.)

Kara will step up into PB range with a half action and fire at the statue if she can. If not she will fire at the Cherubim that Leveticus tried to shoot.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs