PAX East 2011: Games

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

pd Rydia

PAX East 2011: Games

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:54 pm

I want to know the game plan. That is, specifically, what the plan is concerning games. I imagine we should work out who will bring what systems, peripherals, and games. DISCUSS.

I put forward that New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a must. I hope that there are others interested in some 4P co-op/competitive Mario? Also, I'm willing to bring some games from my collection for anyone who wants to try out a game they've been considering buying, or for potential trades. I think BW has been wanting to give Soul Bubbles a try, yes?

-----------

Tentative list of stuff and the people bringing them:

everyone: DSes! omgyay! amirite? :D
    • BrainWalker: extra wiimote
    • ChristianC: some Pokemon games!
    • KingOfDoma: extra wiimote, extra batteries; FFTA2
    • pdRydia: GBA SP, Wii; wiimotes; NSMB Wii, Ghost Trick, Pokemon (SS, B), Super Scribblenauts

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: PAX East 2011: Games

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 am

... huh. I really don't wanna lug my PS3 Fat. But if someone does, I'll gladly oblige.

Also, DSes, people? Yes?

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:58 am

KingOfDoma wrote:Also, DSes, people? Yes?

Obviously.

Not the DSi, though, which is an abomination.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Since we discussed this last time, how about trading starter mons for HeartGold/SoulSilver and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum? I'll try to get all of my old mons over to the newer games, because I WANT MY FREAKIN' GENGAR AND ALAKAZAM AND I DON'T KNOW ANYONE WHO CAN TRADE OVER HERE.

Wheeeze... wheeeze...
"That's not interactive, there's no back-and-forth with the other player and how much fun is it to watch someone incredibly good at moving their eyes? And then whichever Seeker gets lucky swoops in and grabs the Snitch and makes everyone else's work moot. It's like someone took a real game and grafted on this pointless extra position just so that you could be the Most Important Player without needing to really get involved or learn the rest of it. Who was the first Seeker, the King's idiot son who wanted to play Quidditch but couldn't understand the rules?" Actually, now that Harry thought about it, that seemed like a surprisingly good hypothesis. Put him on a broomstick and tell him to catch the shiny thing...

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:12 pm

ChristianC wrote:Since we discussed this last time, how about trading starter mons for HeartGold/SoulSilver and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?

Sure, can do! I think I have all the starters now...I may be missing Torchic, but I don't think so.

I think I have a duplicate or two of some Legendaries, too.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Yay! Great, then I can get all the starters for the new games!

Oh

I think we should do this if we can...

Bring 2 GBAs and do some old school trading.

I've actually considered buying two only so I could trade with myself. I have Leafgreen and Emerald, and it irks me that I can't CATCH'EM ALL.

Really, it does.

Emerald's not finished yet, but I think I've got every conceivable mon in LeafGreen that you can catch on a single run, and the ones I'm lacking are like... uh... Kabuto/ps, the FireRed ones and the ones you can only get by trading, Gengar, Alakazam and Golem, I think... Machamp?
"That's not interactive, there's no back-and-forth with the other player and how much fun is it to watch someone incredibly good at moving their eyes? And then whichever Seeker gets lucky swoops in and grabs the Snitch and makes everyone else's work moot. It's like someone took a real game and grafted on this pointless extra position just so that you could be the Most Important Player without needing to really get involved or learn the rest of it. Who was the first Seeker, the King's idiot son who wanted to play Quidditch but couldn't understand the rules?" Actually, now that Harry thought about it, that seemed like a surprisingly good hypothesis. Put him on a broomstick and tell him to catch the shiny thing...

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:28 am

... this reminds me. I should actually PICK UP HeartGold or SoulSilver. ^^;

I can go hard and get up to epic levels by March, no problem, right?

... right?

Also, FFTA2?

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Christian: I'll certainly be bringing my GBA SP since that's the only (reasonable) way to play GB and GBC games. I don't have a link cable, though I do have the Wireless Adapter (that...doesn't work with the GBA SP...).

As far as games, I always thought it'd be interesting to play Kirby & the Amazing Mirror multiplayer, and I figure that's a popular enough GBA game that others might have a copy. I'd also like to play some of the bit Generations: BOUNDISH minigames 2-player, but I doubt anyone else has a copy of that since it's JP-only and pretty much pointless without a second player.

As far as GBA pokemon games, I have Pokemon LeafGreen and a save close to the beginning. I probably won't play it again until sometime later.

Doma: I'm selling a new/complete copy of SoulSilver for $30, though I'd certainly consider game trades.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:41 pm

Did someone seriously ask if people were bringing DSes? What a silly question. They're practically required for entry.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much time we'll be spending in anyone's hotel room, and I know that I'm pretty much the only person among those currently confirmed who's into fighting games on a more-than-casual basis, but provided it doesn't get delayed, Marvel vs Capcom 3 should be out by PAX, and there's almost no chance that I won't have it. So, you know, if there is significant interest I might be persuaded to bring along my 360.

Edit: Looks like Portal 2 won't be out yet, though. :(
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:08 am

*lightbulb*

I recently acquired a Genesis. o.o

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:37 am

I haven't played much fighting games since Guilty Gear X2, but if you're bringing something I might play!

Also, I have to warn you guys, I'm also going to get together for a bit with the people from the MSPA forum, hopefully, so I'm not sure if I'll always be around. I think this time I'll be flying all over the place meeting and making plans...

However, for those of you who're on facebook, you might've noticed I'm trying to get my friends here in Sweden to buy some more Giant Microbes and some games so we can give'em off at Child's Play :D

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:14 pm

I don't think giving giant microbes is really in the true spirit of the Child's Play charity.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:58 am

:( But they are soft and plushy.

I suppose games and cash :/

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:26 pm

What's this about a Child's Play booth? They're taking game drop offs and stuff?

Anyhow, the first post is edited with a tentative list of what people might bring. I'd like some confirmation from people about whether there's interest in these games or not (NSMB Wii, Marvel v. Capcom 3, FFTA, Pokemon. etc.)

Re: games
-- FFTA2 - I haven't gotten very far in the game. Maybe I'll try getting into it again over Christmas break, but no promises.
-- Marvel v. Capcom 3 - I'm not much of a fighter fan, but I enjoy sitting back and watching the nonsense. I'll have to get in touch with Mike and see if he has an interest. I suspect he might, especially since Amaterasu from Okami is supposed to be in it. We can bring our 360 controller/s (I think we have 2 now).
-- Pokemons - Anyone else interested besides Christian? I have Pearl, SoulSilver, LeafGreen, and the Japanese version of Pearl, as well as a couple sealed versions of SoulSilver for sale. Let me know what I should bother bringing along.

Re: consoles
-- 360 - As far as 360 games go, we have BlazBlue and the requisite Guitar Hero (2 and 3).
-- Wii - As far as Wii games go, we have Kirby's Epic Yarn, Mario Kart Wii, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, as well as the requisite GC games Mario Party 5 and WarioWare Inc.: Mega Party Game$.
-- PS3 - What PS3?
-- PS2 - Guilty Gear X2 is the only multiplayer game we have, really, but we can bring our controller if need be.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:15 pm

I COULD bring my PS3, but it's a Fat, so I don't feel that's a brilliant idea.

That said, if I brought it, I could bring any local multi games I have... Soulcalibur IV... Modern Warfare 1 and 2... Burnou- oh, wait...

Also, I'll get back to you on PS2 games to bring. Still got a ton.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Regarding the Pokemans; I don't know when it's supposed to come out, and if it'll be out by the time PAX hits, but there's a better-than-usual chance that I might actually pick up Pokemon Black or White. Probably Black. I think I need Smugleaf in my life.

Also, BlazBlue is the shit, but damn is it complicated. I picked up Continuum Shift (the kinda-sequal kinda-expansion with extra characters and whatnot), actually, so if there's any interest I can bring that along. I also have Soul Calibur IV for 360, if that garners interest from the group, which would alleviate a reason for Chuck to bring his PS3Fat.

As far as listing other multiplayer/games-of-interest in my collection... eh. I don't feel like it right now. I'll get around to it. It's not like we don't have time!

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:47 am

Remember, folks, it's a three day event, so don't get too excited with what you're bringing, just saying.

An' there's going to be a ton of stuff going on at the Con as well.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:03 am

Yeah. I already alluded to that, and honestly originally I wasn't really planning to bring any consoles, just my DS. That's why I say, you know, if there's interest I might be persuaded to bring my 360 and some games. I'm sure the spectacle of MvC3 would be well-received by all, but I'm also sure that NSMB:Wii is the most fun four gamers can have together, and if there's only going to be a limited amount of hotel R&R play time, likely little more than that would be required.

I'm also kind of interested in bringing along games for people to try or take a look at that they might not have seen/heard much of. Games like De Blob and Madworld on the Wii and Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure on DS.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:46 am

So, anyone else interested in NSMB Wii besides BW and me? I'm not hauling Wii+games if no one's interested.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:07 am

I'm in. Played it on DS, so yeah! Intrigued!

... oh! I can bring my Wiimotes! Yes! I'll do that too!

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:30 pm

I think a night of NSMB is well-deserved, I am very much up for that! I haven't played it so I think it'll be awesome!

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:39 pm

KingOfDoma wrote:I'm in. Played it on DS, so yeah! Intrigued!

The Wii game is infinitely better. Cuz, y'know, multiplayer.

KingOfDoma wrote:... oh! I can bring my Wiimotes! Yes! I'll do that too!

Good idea! We only have 2 (maybe 3?) Wiimotes. I'll look into that, as well as our stash of batteries.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:31 pm

I will be bringing Pokemon Black and Dragon Quest IX.

Mike just started playing FFTA2, so he might bring that.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:05 am

I've been a lazy piece of shit and I'm still only playing Emerald, HeartGold and Platinum I've yet to start on :/

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:31 pm

Okay, this shit is only days away now and now that we've all got a firmer idea of what our lodging situations are, perhaps it's a good idea to reconfirm our plans for gameage.

There were a lot of "ifs" and "maybes" out there. As awesome as MvC3 is and even with all the super-sweet downloadable games available (Super Meat Boy, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Pac-Man Deluxe Champtionship Edition, Stacking, etc), I didn't really see a lot of hooplah at the suggestion of me bringing my 360. So, you know, I might not. It probably wouldn't be too hard to stow it in my backpack or my suitcase, but without sufficient interest, I'm not sure it's worth it. Especially if Chuck brings his PS3fat or Genesis or whatever other crazy shit he was thinking about bringing.

I think both Chuck and I decided to pack lighter than we were originally thinking since we're checking out of the hotel before we're actually leaving Boston. And since Chuck is apparently hotel-hopping.

However, I demand to get in on that NSMB:Wii action. I can totally bring a Wiimote. Maybe Tatsunoko vs Capcom, which is actually way goofier than (but probably not as good as) MvC3.

Definitely bringing the DS and Pokémon Black, though. Also Super Scribblenauts, which is a joy to behold, and Ghost Trick, which is super-awesome and needs to be shared since barely anyone has heard of it.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:54 am

I'm up for the SMB game, but I don't think anything more. I just don't think I have the time to sit in the hotel room, though I've got a few people I think I can drag along with me.

I'm bringing my DS and my pokemon games, although I haven't even started heartgold or platinum yet. I would like to, if possible, borrow someone's DS so I can trade myself all the starter mons though. :D

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:51 pm

BrainWalker wrote:There were a lot of "ifs" and "maybes" out there. As awesome as MvC3 is and even with all the super-sweet downloadable games available (Super Meat Boy, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Pac-Man Deluxe Champtionship Edition, Stacking, etc), I didn't really see a lot of hooplah at the suggestion of me bringing my 360. So, you know, I might not. It probably wouldn't be too hard to stow it in my backpack or my suitcase, but without sufficient interest, I'm not sure it's worth it. Especially if Chuck brings his PS3fat or Genesis or whatever other crazy shit he was thinking about bringing.

Yeah, that's cool.

BrainWalker wrote:I think both Chuck and I decided to pack lighter than we were originally thinking since we're checking out of the hotel before we're actually leaving Boston. And since Chuck is apparently hotel-hopping.

As a note: the hotel we stayed at last year had a baggage room where we (and many, many others) were allowed to stash our bags after checking out of our room and until we were ready to leave the city. There was an attendant and everything, you had to hang onto your baggage ticket in order to reclaim your bag (you know, so you didn't just walk off with someone else's bag). Just so you know, you can ask for this at your hotel this year.

BrainWalker wrote:However, I demand to get in on that NSMB:Wii action. I can totally bring a Wiimote. Maybe Tatsunoko vs Capcom, which is actually way goofier than (but probably not as good as) MvC3.

Definitely bringing the DS and Pokémon Black, though. Also Super Scribblenauts, which is a joy to behold, and Ghost Trick, which is super-awesome and needs to be shared since barely anyone has heard of it.

Righto! :c00lisar: Please do bring the extra wiimote (we only have 3), and if someone has some extra batteries, that'd be cool, too.

ChristianC wrote:I'm bringing my DS and my pokemon games, although I haven't even started heartgold or platinum yet. I would like to, if possible, borrow someone's DS so I can trade myself all the starter mons though. :D

I can get you most starters from my Silver game. I'll breed them up for you along the drive to Boston.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:02 pm

I can bring batteries and my own 'mote. Also, unless someone's bringing an extra Genesis controller, I may as well leave it at home, on second thought. I only have the one. I COULD bring my PS3, still... it's just... heavy as hell.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Looks like it's just DSes, then. I'm down with that. Also, since no one mentioned TvC I think I'll just leave it home. Can count me in for an extra Wiimote, though.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:03 am

Excellent! How nice to decide things before leaving for the con!

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Awesome! I'll train up some trade-mons in Gold on the flight over, and once we're there maybe we can see about supplying you guys, if you don't have them, with the 4th Gen starters, since I'm bringing platinum.

I'm still pretty much a noob when it comes to these games, but yeah.

And the pal-park thing makes me very happy. I originally wanted to catch everything on every game, but that's just not doable with the GBA titles, unless I spend a bunch of money on GBAs and cables, so I'll settle for the last version, probably Black(?) getting as many as possible.

Also, a crazy person on tumblr got me a shiny Croagunk :D I love those so much.

Return to Discussion Forum