Let's get to know each other!

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

What's so special about you?

Tatto/s
10%
Piercing/s
No votes
Strange Condition/s
50%
Awesome Skiddle/s
10%
Online Comic/Blog/Thing/s
30%
One or more of the above (OMG SELECT ONE PLX :(((((((( )
No votes

Total votes : 10

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Let's get to know each other!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:07 am

WOO!

Let's find out stuff about each other! I go first! I have one tattoo, on my left shoulderblade, which is a tribal wing. On the day when I actually feel like my life's where I want it to be, I'll put in the next one on the other shoulder.

So the point is, tell us about your bodymods, weird diseases or amazin' skiddlez!

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Re: Let's get to know each other!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:14 pm

I can make funny noises when I fall down

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:29 pm

THAT IS NOT ON THE LIST!

:(

Also, William Hartnell is a seriously snorky doctor. I want to punch him in the face every time he smiles that way. Grah!

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:46 pm

I have bipolar disorder, but there's nothing weird about that. Had it all my life. It's all you people without it who are weird.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:51 am

Bookmarked! I never knew that, KoD!

I've been uploading a serial novel for 3 years now on the web, and am almost to the 150th chapter. It can be found here.

I also translate a ton of scanlated manga, but I think you guys already knew that.

Edit: D'oh! Thanks Idran.
Last edited by Molokidan on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:00 pm

You forgot the URL part of the link, Molo. :P

Waldorf Nikki
Utimate Cheese Connoisseur

Unread postby Waldorf Nikki » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:06 am

I have a tattoo of a blue crescent moon. I kinda modeled it after the crescent moon in Super Mario World that gives you 3 lives.

Other than that I draw fairly well and I can make a pretty mean cupcake.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:54 pm

OOH! OOH! I'm really good at having ideas and not following through with them! Oh, and I have this strange condition called-- wait, are these supposed to be positive?

Umm... I bake stuff on occasion. Like, cookies and brownies and cheesecakes and what have you. Fun stuff. Really ought to do it more often, but... so lazy.

Also, waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, I almost started a fantasy webcomic with a good buddy of mine, but I was too schizophrenic and/or indecisive to nail down any concrete details and it never got off the ground. I got further designing it's website than with the actual comic.

I should get back into some web design. It's fun, when it works. But the problem with programming, even in relatively simple stuff like HTML, CSS and XML, is it never works. Programming is like, 20% programming, and 80% troubleshooting. At least for an amateur.

... I'm actually a little tempted to derail this thread with a discussion on tattoos.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:46 pm

BrainWalker wrote:Umm... I bake stuff on occasion. Like, cookies and brownies and cheesecakes and what have you. Fun stuff. Really ought to do it more often, but... so lazy.
Really, really delicious stuff. Shit, now I'm hungry.

BrainWalker wrote:Also, waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, I almost started a fantasy webcomic with a good buddy of mine, but I was too schizophrenic and/or indecisive to nail down any concrete details and it never got off the ground. I got further designing it's website than with the actual comic.
Abstract magic! We ganked your forum for a bit.

BrainWalker wrote:I should get back into some web design. It's fun, when it works. But the problem with programming, even in relatively simple stuff like HTML, CSS and XML, is it never works. Programming is like, 20% programming, and 80% troubleshooting. At least for an amateur.
That's the fun of it! I mean, if you're a puzzle game fan, like me...

BrainWalker wrote:... I'm actually a little tempted to derail this thread with a discussion on tattoos.
http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/tattoo-ruler

Taiar

Unread postby Taiar » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:52 pm

I can repeatedly crack all the knuckles in my right hand by opening and closing my fist.

I cannot do this with the left hand.

... Kind of a weird condition?

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:27 pm

I can do it with my left but not my right! Clearly we are meant to be together. Or possibly fight to the death.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Taiar

Unread postby Taiar » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Oh! Can we do a Bash Brothers trope fight scene? I've always wanted one of those!

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:14 am

I have/had a tumor on my pituitary gland. "Have/had" because we aren't entirely sure it is still there. Benign if you are wondering. Last we looked it is no longer serious, but it is apparently the reason why I have something around 80/20 / 120/20 vision. The 120/20 eye has astigmatism. :x Losing my glasses is not fun at all, no.

I have more moles than any human being has any right to have, including one on the palm of my left hand, one on the inside of my ear, and other weird locations. Also, I can take a pen and connect some on my cheek for a decent looking Lambda symbol.

No tattoos or piercings to date, they just... don't sound like things I want to have. *shrug*

I meant to make a webcomic with Neb once, but I am terribly absent minded and basically never gave her the help with it that she deserved to get. Also I am terribly indecisive when it matters.

That's all I can think of quickly.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:36 am

:[ That sucks, Bes. I envy your molage though, I have a very, very pale birthmark on my left arm, only visible when I've got a tan (read: Never).

Sorry for abandoning this thread, I kinda drifted off into space :x

Also, being indecisive is much better than being decisive and constantly making bad decisions.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:06 pm

I have been robbed at work and through having the restraint in not hitting the guy with an iron bar, got a free ride from Blockbuster for years after. Seriously, they caught me literally sleeping on the job and couldn't do anything- I was deemed more valuable to the company asleep than my boss' boss was awake.

I've since gained employment working for someone I met via RPGWW. More, I live with that person!

I have a type of charisma that has been described as "Virulent".

I'm currently GMing a campaign with a collective 12 players, including one who doesn't even visit the board, and somehow managing to keep it straight.
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Besyanteo wrote:I have more moles than any human being has any right to have, including one on the palm of my left hand, one on the inside of my ear, and other weird locations. Also, I can take a pen and connect some on my cheek for a decent looking Lambda symbol.

Are there tons of them all over, or just a bunch spread out over your body?

If the latter, my mom might have you beat.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:36 pm

Chuck: The former. I'd take a bunch of example pics, but that would involve removing my clothes. No one here wants me to do that. :o I can take a picture of my face and neck at least if you're really curious though.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:32 am

Hmmm... I think I am.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:26 pm

I am as well!

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:40 pm

Woo! Take it off!

Seriously, though, on the palm of your hand? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:11 pm

I've actually scene designed two plays in college all by my lonesome, built all set pieces, painted most of them, and managed to not spend over 150 collectively. Of the two shows, I also did most of the lighting, rewiring some of the haphazard rigs to not be such a health concern. Man college was fun.

On the other side of things, I constantly misquote movies and tv shows. Almost to the point of it being painful. It's pretty bad in person.

I have a custom made signet ring that shows a 20 in a wax seal of a d20. Fiance is an amazing 3d designer who just graduated for metal smithing and jewelry design. Pictures are available if needed. Also... if people really want one themselves, it can be arranged for you to buy one, with your own imprint!*

*If people are serious, find a way to contact me.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:09 pm

One-man production team? That's actually pretty impressive.

Now, when you say "3d designer" and "metal smithing and jewelry design," I'm picturing two totally different things.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Come on, man. You can design 2D things, and you can design 3D pieces. A ring is, usually, a 3D thing.
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Yeah, I get that, but it's rare I hear the term "3D" used outside the context of computer graphics or cheesy movie effects. Generally you wouldn't call a 2D designer a "2D designer," you'd probably call them a graphic designer or refer to their specific field, like typographer or illustrator or something. I don't know that there's an alternative catch-all for "3D design," but I'm more used to genre-/media-specific terms like sculptor or jeweller or architect.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:28 am

That almost works, except that you have designers who invent plans, and then metalworkers/jewelers/sculptors/architects who actually assemble plans. Designers don't necessarily work with the final materials of a piece.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:57 am

Well I guess that's true.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:35 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:That almost works, except that you have designers who invent plans, and then metalworkers/jewelers/sculptors/architects who actually assemble plans. Designers don't necessarily work with the final materials of a piece.

I don't know, I still think it's fair to call someone that designs a piece of jewelry or a sculpture a jeweler or a sculptor. I'm not saying that referring to a 3D designer is wrong, just that it's an odd-enough turn of phrase (in terms of how much you'd expect to hear it in this context) that I think BW's initial confusion was fairly justified. It makes sense after you think about it, like it did for BW, but it's not the term you'd expect to hear used in this sense and so you do need that moment to think. I don't think BW was saying it was wrong either, just surprising.

(Also, this is a really tiny side note that's kind of a derailment from the intent of your argument, but an architect is a building designer as far as I'm aware. They aren't involved in the actual construction except in maybe an advisory role, they don't do any of the construction or implementation themselves.)

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:42 pm

I've never heard of a jeweler calling themselves (or someone calling them) a 3D artist. To my knowledge, "3D artist" as a term came about to reference the whole "2D art that is rendered in 3 dimensions using computer programs". Before then and as you do today, you have artisans, sculptors, jewelers, metalworkers, woodworkers, etc. People who make crafts (usable art), jewelery, metalstuff, woodstuff, etc.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:57 am

I pictured someone who designed stuff on a computer, in 3D, and then had it assembled in real-life, there are some machines that do that. :nyoron:

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:43 am

It's true, people do specialize in working with certain materials, and take up work doing such things. There are also people who consider their craft separate from medium; an artist with paper can create using charcoal, or graphite, or cellophane, or...just for instance. A designer who works with a number of materials to create or construct three-dimensional objects for various purposes might very well prefer to call themselves a "3D designer" rather than a "metalworker/sculptor/woodworker/jeweler/papercrafter/prototyper"--at that point the skill is not necessarily so much working with a given material as it is in working with three-dimensional material in general.

As an aside, consider what changes in your brain between reading "3D objects" and reading "three-dimensional objects." (Also as an aside, point taken about architects.)

I also know a bunch of art people who would be offended if they were told that design is the same thing as art. The distinction eludes me somewhat, but I've had a fairly sizable number of design-related courses and art-related courses lately and the difference seems clear to both camps, so I guess they can have it.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:36 am

PriamNevhausten wrote:As an aside, consider what changes in your brain between reading "3D objects" and reading "three-dimensional objects."

I don't know if it was the point you were getting at, but to me (somewhat surprisingly), my first interpretation does seem to be that 3D objects refers to CGI and other computer-generated stuff, while "three-dimensional objects" refers to an actual physical object. I actually didn't realize those two had different connotations to me, it's interesting to see it pointed out in such a succinct manner.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:19 pm

Regarding design vs art, I've been informed by my friend, who is a graphic designer.

A graphical designer creates client-specified (generally) pieces in exchange for money. An artist may well do this, but the generally connotation he makes to an artist is someone who creates art for the sake of art (and is cooky)

This is, of course, his opinion.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:54 am

PriamNevhausten wrote:I also know a bunch of art people who would be offended if they were told that design is the same thing as art. The distinction eludes me somewhat, but I've had a fairly sizable number of design-related courses and art-related courses lately and the difference seems clear to both camps, so I guess they can have it.

Sculptors also get super-pissed if you call them something that implies what they do is a "craft" instead of "sculpture". I remember a huge debate on DeviantArt over the 2 categories for sculpture (one under "crafts" and one under "traditional art.")

I think the issue is that design and crafts are associated with being created with the primary intent of usefulness, the secondary intent of aesthetics. "Art" is associated with a sort of "purity" of aesthetics.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:25 pm

pd Rydia wrote:I think the issue is that design and crafts are associated with being created with the primary intent of usefulness, the secondary intent of aesthetics. "Art" is associated with a sort of "purity" of aesthetics.

You nailed the problem better than I did.
Last edited by ChristianC on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:11 pm

pd Rydia wrote:"Art" is associated with a sort of "purity" of aesthetics.

And even this is a modern concept, if I recall correct.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Capntastic wrote:And even this is a modern concept, if I recall correct.

Define "modern." The whole modernismo movement (late 1800, early 1900s) was a bunch of artists whining about how industrialization leads to the need for artists to "sell out" (e.g., they wanted to be "real" artists, like all those guys in the past whose rich patrons just gave them tons of money to do whatever the hell they wanted [who wouldn't!]--not losers who made art to be consumed).

I got to read some stuff by Rubén Darío (father of modernismo) in the Spanish, which is great. He starts off like "I am such an awesome artist, I could starve to death in order to preserve the purity of my art!" and then he's like "Oh God I am going to starve to death in order to preserve the the purity of my art!" and then he mouths off to Roosevelt.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:41 am

Oh yes, he should've moved to Sweden. We pay substantial amounts of money for artists to remain pure.

One good example is my croquis teacher who was the most incompetent teacher I... okay, no, she wasn't that bad. But she had delusions of grandeour.

And she got on my bad side when she said "Dalí, for example, was not a good artist."

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:32 am

Hahaha!

Yeah, Dalí was a pretty good artist. A total douche, but a good artist.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:16 pm

Clearly, we need more programmer-archetypes amongst the ranks of artists and designers, because "Did they get a paycheck for it?" is, as demonstrated, not a useful or accurate indicator of whose camp a piece falls into.

I've seen art students critique a fellow's piece by saying it "looks designed." This in regards to a piece created by assignment of the professor--an assignment all of them completed, for reasons beyond ars gratia artis. This situation, singularly, baffles me and makes me think that both sides are either deeply deluded or lying out their asses when they talk about commissioning being a defining characteristic of design.

But like I said, I don't understand it but they seem to, so more power to 'em.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn