The Last Airbender

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

FlamingDeth

The Last Airbender

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:17 pm

is total ass. If you liked the show, don't see it, a part of your soul will die. If you didn't like the show, don't see it, because it's a stupid movie.
Yo dawg I heard you like memes so I put a meme in your meme so you can meme while you meme.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Re: The Last Airbender

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:13 pm

What if I've never seen the show?

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:11 am

I heard... I really hoped it'd be at least tolerable, but I've heard from numerous places that it does sucketh balls.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:01 am

Yeah, I was just telling a bunch (BW, Judo, Idran, and Neb) that EVERYTHING I've heard about this movie is to avoid it at all costs.
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:18 am

Likewise. I've heard nothing but terrible things about it, both from fans and regular punters.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:23 am

That is a goddamned shame.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:06 pm

On a more positive note: Toy Story 3 = the awesome.
Course, I do tend to get very easily emotional, so take that as you will. =x

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:12 am

Just saw it. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's not good no. It doesn't stand on it's own as a movie and all fans of the series are going to think is "Wow, these people act nothing like the characters I know and a lot of the stuff I really liked about the first arc of the series got completely skipped. This is really disappointing."

If you had to see this or Neverending Story 3, see Avatar The Last Airbender. If you had to see this or The Village, see The Village. I hope that makes sense to people who aren't me.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:15 pm

I just saw Wall-E. It's cute.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:41 pm

Wall-E was great. Toy Story 3 .... well, let's just say the dark theatre maintained my manly demeanour. >.>

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:33 am

Wait, didn't this movie come out in like... January? And wasn't there a lot of blue cat-people involved?

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:39 pm

And wasn't it so long that in the time it took to watch it, time actually came to an end, started back at the beginning, and history progressed to the point that this movie was actually made a second time before it was over?
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Wrong Avatar, asshats. =P

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:00 pm

:D *wiggling eyebrows*

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:33 pm

The hell are you talking about? I didn't mention "Avatar" anywhere, that's not part of the title of the movie.
Yo dawg I heard you like memes so I put a meme in your meme so you can meme while you meme.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Get with the times, FD. Swedeman was obviously responding to Bes--his first mistake, and possibly his last.
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:01 am

I was secretly hinting at my own very belated realization that Avatar wasn't in any way related to Avatar: The last Airbender.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:40 pm

I've been geeking out over The Last Airbender for going on two years. When I heard the reviews, a part of me died inside. Thanks, Hollywood, for once again ruining things. You are exactly the reason why this world is court-mandated to stay fifty feet away from nice things.

On another note, Toy Story 3 made me giggle. A lot. I won't deny it. I can take the ridicule!

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:18 am

Thanks, Hollywood,
Now, now. Blame where blame is due. Thanks, M. Night Shyamalan.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Well actually it might not be entirely his fault. I mean, sure he's devolved into some kind of crazy hack of a director, but I'm sure there were many more bad decisions along the paper trail to get this movie greenlit and into production.

I mean, yeah, he's at fault. Primarily at fault. But he might not be the only one to blame.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:43 pm

Well, getting it greenlit and into production isn't a necessarily bad thing. I'd venture to say it could be a very good thing. They could have even done some more really spectacular action sequences, and interesting character drama and whathaveyou. The big thing, what really matters is that what made it to the screen is what the director picked to go there, what he chose as the best things to go into the movie with his name all over it.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Well I wasn't trying to imply that the decision to make the movie in and of itself was bad, just that some of the decisions that were made along the way were bad. Like the decision to whitewash the cast, or to try to simultaneously condense an entire season into 2 hours while leaving in as much of the exposition as possible, leaving little room for interesting things character development. Although I guess those are probably decisions made during production. Point is, the director is the primary influence on how a movie turns out, but the people putting the money into the project are always poking their asses into it as well. It's hard to know how much influence the studio execs had. And since the plot is by many accounts the weakest part of the movie, let us not forget that it was written by... *Wikipedia* ... M.Night Shyamalan.

... *cough*

Damn.

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:13 pm

So. I watched the movie, INSTEAD of watching Toy Story 3. I wasn't in the mood to watch it, but I was in the mood to see something atrocious. This movie wasn't as bad as all the sites made it sound. It was just... boring. Beyond boring. I started forgetting it was even in the same universe as the cartoon, unless it was jammed into my brain from the bending going on. It wasn't the show I loved, it wasn't even a representation of the show. It was like... 6 key episodes shoved into each other, but took even more time than those shows WOULD have been... and had none of the light hearted comedy that I loved so much. Seriously. If you watch the first episode, the episode where they go to the southern air temple, the episode with the earth nation prison, the blue spirit episode(minus the friends being in danger plot/frozen toads),an episode regarding zuko's past (doesn't matter which), then the finale pt 1 and 2, you'd have seen everything in this movie. Except it'd have been good. And the run time of those 6 episodes would have been on par with the length of the movie. FUCK.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:20 pm

So on a much better note, I went into Inception with high expectations and they were exceeded. Go see Inception! It's probably the best movie of the year.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:38 pm

In your dreams,

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:01 pm

I've actually heard really good things about Inception. Looking forward to it, eventually.

By the way, anyone have opinions on Kick Ass and Scott Pilgrim vs The World?

Ganonfro

Unread postby Ganonfro » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:15 pm

I've read Scott Pilgrim and expect it to be very silly. I'm half expecting it to suck though. Looks really well cast, so I'm looking forward to it currently.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:41 pm

Also, set in Canada, filmed in Canada, and starring a Canadian. Go my country!

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:51 am

KingOfDoma wrote:Also, set in Canada, filmed in Canada, and starring a Canadian. Go my country!

Yeah, but that Canadian is Michael Cera.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:24 am

And oddly enough, it looks like he's gonna kick ass in the role. Go fig.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Michael Cera is very good at playing Michael Cera.

He's just lucky Scott Pilgrim is pretty close to Michael Cera.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm more interested in the Scott Pilgrim game than the movie.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn