The Planewalkers' Other Journies

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Re: The Planewalkers' Other Journies

Unread postby Nakibe » Fri May 07, 2010 11:46 am

"Sounds to me like we definitely need to borrow as much of those magics as we can." says Trivale. "Although it will be good to remember watered cloth as well as a precaution." Just one problem with this idea, as Trivale saw it. Namely, he had to wonder whether they actually had any magics to borrow at the moment. Maybe we'll need to make another side trip... hopefully nothing long.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Plane of Air - Homespire

"Yes. I will ask?" Eletta nods to Trivale. "And what else? Just magics, or more?"

Seems like people are ready to move on again? I'll go ahead and push on in my next GMing if so.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Wed May 12, 2010 2:25 am

Again, not much had been heard out of Rosalyn. She followed the rest of the group quietly through the city, letting the goblin stay close as the few remaining residents bombarded them with questions. Of those questions, she answered the ones that were directly asked of her as well as she could, but that was as active as her participation in the conversations got. The others seemed to be doing a well enough job of deciding what needed to be done, at least.

So they were heading for the Plane of Smoke next. She hadn't understood the words spoken in Theller's language that had led to that decision, but it was easy enough to guess that was where the people of this city had been taken. And in that case, she supposed that it was probably where their abductors would be as well.

This was where it would really get dangerous, then. That might be what it would take to finally get her mind off the last excursion, at least, so she couldn't complain.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed May 12, 2010 4:57 am

Plane of Air - Homespire

After a short inventory, Trivale's fears prove warranted, as much of Homespire's stores indeed seem to have been taken by the recent raid. However, with a bit of effort, Eletta and Theller manage to gather materials from a number of caches missed by the attacking efreet. Together, they collect a bottle of air, two scrolls of avoid planar effects, and two dozen auran masks; hopefully together enough to avoid the worst effects of the plane of Smoke. In addition, they manage to gather a number of other supplies that may come in handy on the trip to come.

While the survivors can't say precisely where the portal used by the efreet is, they are able to point them in the proper direction, at least; off past the nesting isle, a small floating island tethered to Homespire where a number of local birds kept their nest. Further, it likely isn't much of a trip. After all, if it were, they likely wouldn't have chosen Homespire.

Once ready, they gather at the island on which they arrived, preparing for another hurtle through the sky. Eletta waits on the isle to see the travelers off, giving Theller a tight hug and gripping the hands of each other in turn, her expression showing both hope and trepidation. "Do well, be safe. Good luck all. Let wind hold you."

The details on avoid planar effects and auran masks are posted in the OOC thread. The scrolls are both arcane scrolls at caster level 5. Go ahead and assume that everyone here either knew what they are, or were told, as appropriate for the characters.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 pm

"See far," Theller responded, clapping Eletta on the shoulder. He triple-checked his pack for the supplies they would need, tested the ropes he had tied the travelers together with again and squinted into the distance where their destination likely lay. "Shall we, then? It should not be far." He poised himself to leap off the island and resume the subjective gravity of the plane.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Garick picked up one of the auran masks, trying on the fit. It felt weird against his face, and the slight added resistance to each breath was a bit odd, but he got used to it pretty quickly. He took it off and stuffed in his pack, not even bothering with the more magical items. He couldn't read scrolls and he had no idea about how to work the fancier pieces of magical equipment. He also figured the fancier it was, the more likely it was to break at an inopportune time.

After which, he said his goodbyes to the people of Homespire, and went over next to Theller, strapping himself to the bird-man. He looked at Theller, then said, "I'm ready to go kick some Plane of Smoke butt."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Plane of Air

With goodbyes said, the party pushes off from Homespire, propelling themselves through the Boundless Blue towards their next goal. Hardly 4 hours pass before their likely destination comes into sight; a massive grey cloud, hazy and glowing from a dim internal light. At first glance, it seems like a simple storm cloud, but as they near, they can see it's far more translucent than such things, and the light from within is a dull red like a nearly-dead piece of coal, not the pure white of lightning. Around the cloud, the air looks hazy, like the shimmering over a flame, and at the very center is what appears to be a small orb of opacity, a sphere of dark gas held at the center of the smog. As they grow closer, they can smell the scent of flame on the air, and feel the thickness of breath that comes alongside a strong flame. This is sure to be the rip between realms that the party seeks.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Garick watched as the cloud moved closer and closer, or rather they drifted closer and closer to it. He watched as the colors played across the cloud, and was at the same time worried and excited for the adventure. No doubt there would be interesting things blocking their way that he'll be able to smack and cut his way through. He worried about the members of Theller's family, however. He didn't really have a family, not like most people did. He didn't even empathize much with the elven race. He had spent most of his life wandering through the planes, drifting from one plane to the next, without much contact with the dainty race that spawned him. Thus, the harm that would be brought upon Theller's family struck him even harder. He wished he had a family, and a part of him wished that he had someone he had to rush off to save. As the cloud loomed closer, Garick decided that he would help Theller get his people back, or die trying.

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 am

It was worth it for an instant for Trivale to wonder just how much of this anger was his own, and not something other. Strangely, though, of all the other things that he'd done so far with his seemingly short life, this felt RIGHT. An instant of calm was born in what normally was a sea of dissonant thoughts and actions. Perhaps this is what I SHOULD be doing. Or perhaps I've already done this before? was his thought. Not the best time for introspection, this

"This looks like the place." says Trivale wryly. "Does everyone feel ready for this?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:04 am

Plane of Air - Vaporous Portal

The goblin takes a deep breath, steeling herself, and nods, auran mask gripped in one hand. "The sooner the better. I just hope it's not too hot there."

I'll move ahead later today, just giving the rest of the players one last chance to post beforehand.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:33 am

Plane of Air - Vaporous Portal

As one, the party starts towards the dark orb. The smoke grows quickly thicker as they approach, filled with the scent of burning pitch. It soon starts to choke, and those present are forced to don their auran masks. Sight grows dim and their eyes begin to sting, but they reach the orb after but seconds.

Plane of Smoke - Azure Portal
As they head towards, and through, it, they emerge into a cloud of a different texture. Rather than the scent of soot, it's instead a far more sickly-sweet and cloying scent that surrounds them, though the air seems just as difficult to breathe. Behind them floats an orb of pure sky blue; or rather, as is now apparent, not an orb, but a hole in space, through which the plane of Air can now be seen. Continuing forward, they emerge into a pocket of clear "air", spying for the first time the dim red glow that suffuses the entire plane. Beyond the edges of the pocket are vapors of all colors; the black of this cloud, but others of green tint, brown, and even some of violet. Some areas of smoke look to be not quite as thick as others, and it's through one of these patches that they spy a solid object; small, too small to be a city, but with numerous smaller dots hovering from place to place about it - people, it seems. As the only place within sight, it's the logical first step for their search, and it looks to be barely 15 minutes away at their speed.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri May 28, 2010 12:49 pm

(OOC: Sorry about no posts in a while. I've been at home in "Dave fucked up again" mode, and letting me on the internet to fuck around on forums is anathema to what my father's trying to do. This might be my last post for another couple of days, too.)

Theller gestured ahead at the solid object. "There," he said, his voice muffled by the mask. "We'll start at that place. But be heavily on your guard." He checked his crossbows on his hips and made sure his spear was close at hand fastened to his pack, and then told himself that the way to the object and the people hovering around it was down. The ropes creaked as he reoriented to it.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Breathing through the mask was odd, and it took some getting used to. When they emerged in that small pocket of "clean" air, he started talking. "Yeah, it- whoa, speaking through this thing is weird. Yeah, it looks like that's as good a place as any to start our search." Garick checked his pack, ensuring everything was securely strapped, then held his hammer in one hand, and the rope in his other. He then did his best to reorient himself, and got ready to started moving.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Mon May 31, 2010 12:51 am

"No argument here," Rosalyn said.

If nothing else, the place was close enough to the portal that the people there would have possibly seen if a large group had passed through. But, sharing Theller's concern, she did make certain she was prepared to draw her blade or bow at a moment's notice as she changed the direction of her fall.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Plane of Smoke

Redirecting themselves, the party begins their trip to the distant object. Before long, the shape comes into sight - a galleon covered in gearwork, with massive pipes bristling from all directions. A bubble of what seems to be clean air envelops the ship, and about it, outside the bubble, can be seen members of its crew, nearly all of which appear to be gnomes. People with their own masks, wielding smaller, backpack-sized versions of the clockwork stuck to the ship. Wearing auran masks or simple cloth coverings of their own, they extend copper tubes into the clouds, and bags dangling from their backs appear to slowly fill from the devices. One of the closer notices the travelers and offers them a friendly wave as they approach. Thankfully for the party, they appear entirely peaceful, though they do look to be each armed with crossbows and various close-ranged blades.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Garick landed in a little bit of a jumble, but that was to be expected. He noticed as he was falling in that the people here seemed to be peaceful enough, but they still had weapons, so he kept his hammer at the ready as well. He waved to the people that were nearby, hoping to show that he wasn't hostile. He didn't try talking, though, as he figured they spoke Auran. Best to let Theller do the talking here.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Spoiler:
"Good day,"
Theller offered in Auran as he veered to land on the ship near the one who waved. "Do you speak Common?" he asked, hoping not to keep the others out of the conversation.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:52 am

Plane of Smoke - Vapor Harvester

"That we do." One of the deckbound gnomes, a man with hair in stripes of blue and green, steps forward with a wide grin, shaking the hands of all present. "Good to see folks that aren't thinking about robbing us. Don't get a lot of guests out here in the clouds. Zazebar's the name. Now what brings the lot of you all out to my ship?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:14 am

Garick switched his hammer to his left hand, shaking the gnome's hand. He kept quiet, though, figuring that this was Theller's territory, and since he knew what was going on better than he did, he just kept an eye out for hostiles. He unhooked himself from the group, then turned about, looking around. He kept his hammer in his hand, but slack at his side, more just to make himself feel a bit more comfortable with being up in the air with no ground to be seen under the ship. Not that falling scared him that much. He'd been falling for the past few hours.

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:27 pm

I guess we should let Theller do the talking here at the moment is Trivale's own thought. If nothing else, it will keep any potential trust issues to a minimum. In the meantime, though, he'll definitely examine the clockwork curiosities that each gnome is hauling about. Whatever they're doing, after all, seems like it's an interesting, and possibly dangerous job. Perhaps I can guess at their function for a little bit...

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:03 pm

While Theller converses with the gnome, Garick and Trivale turn their attention to the ship itself and its crew. It's a vessel that wouldn't seem out of place in Mechanus, but for the grime that seems to cake every surface; an unfortunate side-effect of the plane, apparently, that the travelers notice now even upon themselves. A long bath will likely be in order after the end of this mission.

From what they can gather, though, it seems to be designed to draw in from the gasses that surround them, as do the smaller machines each crew member wears. Long, flexible rubber tubes attached to metal frameworks extend in all directions outside the bubble of air, with a number of fixed copper devices mounted to point forwards and back. Beneath the sound of gears turning, they can hear what at first resembles the breathing of a large creature, before they place it; a massive bellows, likely below deck, to pull in the substance that surrounds them. As best as they can tell, this entire operation seems to be devoted to harvesting from the Plane. But can vapors really be valuable enough to warrant it? Quite strange indeed.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:37 pm

"We're following the trail of some efreet slavers," Theller began, loosening the mask to hang around his neck. "The rumor I heard is that they were taking slaves for a vapor-mining operation when they beset my home while I was away. Tell me, have you any information on the movements of efreet in the Plane of Smoke? Any information at all will benefit us greatly, and will - I am certain - be repaid a hundred times over when we have done our work."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Garick took off his mask as well, his grip on his hammer tightening and loosening. He hoped that the gnome would be able to give them good information. He looked off into the smoke, and the thought of having to search blindly through the smoke did not appeal to Garick. An image of some bird-like monster coming out of the smoke and snapping them up flashed through his mind, and his grip on his hammer tightened once again. He had no doubts that he could defeat any monster that they encountered, but if he couldn't see it, he sure couldn't bash it. Unlike on the Plane of Air, where they could easily see where they were going to fall to, on the Plane of Smoke, there was no such luxury. This is gonna suck.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:57 am

"Efreet? Yeah, there are a bunch just a few hours from here. We've been keeping our distance, I don't want to tangle us up in their stuff." He grimaces, staring off into the smoke. "Rough folks, them. Slavers? Hmph. Too lazy to get their hands dirty themselves, I say. Or too cheap. Hard work and ingenuity, that's all you need to make a profit here. Look at this ship! Built it with my own two hands, I did. It took me months too. But I did it."

Scowling, he looks back to Theller. "Ah, sorry. Easy to get off track. Anyway, can't say I could tell you a lot about what they're up to. Like I said, we've been keeping our distance. I can point you towards them, though. Or I suppose I could take the Typhon over, let you get a better look. But not too close. No offense, but I don't want to risk the old boy or any of my crew out there getting torched."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Theller shook his head. "I wouldn't ask you to halt your operation for us, let alone put your fine ship and its crew in danger on our account. You can just point us where we're going and we'll fall there ourselves. My name is Theller, by the way. Theller of Homespire. And you are...?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:00 pm

The captain shrugs. "Well, can't say I don't appreciate the consideration. The name's Zazebar, some decades late of Yeoman. And as for the efreet, they're off that way. Got some sorta base down that way, lots of workers. Probably not legitimate workers, from what you're telling me." He scowls, spitting a bit of soot off the side of the ship. "Watch yourself if you're heading up to berks like them. If you need any food or drink, we'll give what we can. Otherwise, keep breathing."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:27 pm

"That sounds like a great idea, the breathing," Garick said, smirking. "So, what's the plan guys? Fall in there and wreak some havoc?" He tapped the head of his hammer against his open palm, still smirking.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:12 pm

"We shall," Theller told Zazebar. "See far, friend."

"I'm not precisely comfortable with the level of improvisation we'll need," Theller admitted. "Hopefully we'll be able to make surprise work in our favor. Some stealth may be in order, perhaps."

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:14 pm

"Stealth? Well, I suppose we can make it work." Mentally, Trivale was more than ready. He just hoped that he was as good at this as he felt like he should be. "If we're lucky then we can spot their camp a ways off before they would ever see us. It'd definitely help with making any sort of better plans."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:38 am

Plane of Smoke

With the first strokes of a plan in mind, the Planewalkers bid the captain a farewell, and set off towards the efreet. Indeed, it's a short trip, and soon the smoke begins to thin before them. Ahead, through the wispy vapors, they can spy a structure that must be the slavers' base; a large, teardrop-shaped mass of brass covered in piping systems similar to the gnomish ship. All around the brass structure, dozens of Theller's brethren are forced to work by crimson-skinned efreet bearing flaming fists, the winged slaves equipped only with the bare minimum needed to allow them to survive here. Though the number of efreet are few, with only a dozen visible amongst the raptorans, their power must be great to cow so many raptorans into begrudging service.

Around the structure itself stand, not float, a half-dozen bronze-skinned dwarves with manes of fire, adjusting the mechanisms upon the surface of the mass. From here, they can see a number of points that could be openings into its depths, including one hatch they spy one of the dwarves using during their watch. Of course, while they may be somewhat safely hidden in the dark vapors here, sneaking to the structure itself would be another matter entirely. The trip would take at least a minute's fall by Theller's reckoning, in entirely open conditions. Possible with a straight-forward leap, but chancy. Of course, other strategies may be more effective, if they can be properly developed.

"What now?" The goblin looks eager to proceed, but she watches the more experienced travelers, Rosalyn especially, for suggestions as to their next step here.

Because of the odd form of movement here, I'll note that moving at full speed will not cause a Stealth penalty. Especially as there's no real way to not move at full speed anyway.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

With the goblin's attention, Rosalyn felt prompted to answer. Unfortunately, she didn't really have anything on her that would improve their chances, but that wouldn't stop her from thinking.

"I’d say magic would be the best bet, if anyone here has any that would work," she answered. "Something to obscure us against these clouds, perhaps."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Garick looked around at his adventuring buddies. He was at a total loss. "Well," he said, looking at his hammer, "My usual method is just to go in screaming and hope for the best." He didn't have any magic to help them, nor did he have any fancy tricks that he could do that didn't involve connecting his hammer to his opponent's head or his blade to his opponent's throat.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:29 pm

"A distraction would be best," Theller said. "Since we can't be heard approaching, we must only prevent ourselves from being seen, and without magic the easiest way to do that is to make sure that the eyes involved are facing elsewhere. Perhaps we could...attract some sort of native creature to them? Some sort of annoyance that will allow us to slip into their midst undetected and find out what force besides the strength of the efreet is forcing my people's compliance. Failing that, we should simply fall with our feet pointed below us so that our silhouettes are as small as possible. By the Lords, I wish I knew whether those bronze-skins are slaves or cohorts of the efreet...if there are more of them within, we could call them to arms against the efreet."

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:37 am

"Actually, I can probably help with this", says Trivale. "I can probably get aboard without being seen. I think. Its just that things get complicated if they have some sort of contingency plan. Or if, as you said, those bronze skinned people are working for them."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Theller nodded. "Stir up some kind of invisible trouble, perhaps? For how long could you stay unseen?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:00 pm

Garick chimed in, "And for how long? And how many people can you make invisible? I'm real good at causing ruckuses."

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:40 pm

"I can only do myself, really. And it doesn't work so well with large crowds, which is half of the reason that I'm worried about any contingencies they've prepared for."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Go ahead and post your action if that's what you'll be trying, Shaun. IM me if you need any more info about the situation.

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:38 pm

With no better plan forthcoming, Trivale takes a moment to line himself up with what seems to be a suitable spot. Well. Here's hoping I can do that... whatever it was again. Strangely he felt confident even despite his doubts. Perhaps there really WAS a chance he could get this done. "I'll try to make a bit of distraction for the rest of you guys to come in after."

He took a calming breath, a part of him focused entirely on blending in,and then made his descent upon the slaver's compound.

(Now seems like a great time to use the Chameleon power. Trivale is hoping to get a feel for the place for now, and then the distractions may ensue.)
Last edited by Nakibe on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Plane of Smoke

With a bit of concentration, Trivale shifts his coloration with nothing more than the application of mental effort until he appears almost indistinguishable from the surrounding plane. Falling gently forwards, he nears the surface of the structure with little more than a ripple in the sky, easily passed off as nothing more than a waver of invisible smoke. Landing carefully, he settles on its surface, having drawn no attention from either the efreet or the fiery dwarves. He finds he can walk along its surface as easily as the dwarves, much like Homestead had been. It does give a part of his mind the sensation of standing on a massive pillar whose edges plunge into an endless smoky abyss - a somewhat disconcerting sensation to say the least - but ignoring this instinct is no trouble at all with his force of will.

Easily passed your stealth check here, and you've still got nearly an hour of your power left; time shouldn't be an issue at all.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs