Precinct: The Godswallowers (closed M&M RP)

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Idran1701
None some call is air am

Re: Precinct: The Godswallowers (closed M&M RP)

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:54 pm

Vigilant hugs Skye around the shoulders, looking her in the eyes; from what's visible, he seems to be smiling slightly. "You're Skye. You're still you. You're always you. It's just a shell." Keeping at her side, he looks over to Ben. "3 miles? Shouldn't be long. 45 minutes, maybe an hour."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:24 am

Adannaya still had her goggles, and as light began to fall she put them on once more and readjusted some small levers, turned a few knobs and the bright *PING* of a very, very small device on the side of the goggles indicated something had just activated. Soon enough, a very faint glow lit up the front of the currently chosen lenses, and the scientific doctor made sure to keep out of direct light from Ben's portable lantern.

"Although perhaps superfluous at the moment, I will attempt to make sure we are not approached by natives as we travel. Believe it or not, but through the application of different layers of lenses of increasing width and light-absorbation qualities, I am able to imitate the nightsight abilities of some fowls, allowing me near perfect view of our surroundings despite the darkness." she tapped the side of her goggles, which made her head sway slightly. Clearly they seemed to be quite heavy.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:06 am

Rick rubbed his hands a bit. Though his jacket kept him quite warm, his hands were getting a little cold. He wasn't entirely sure if it was nerves or the actual temperature. As people started getting out various forms of night-sight, Rick returned his vision back to his own body. The darkness falling made it quite difficult to see anything, and Rick would much rather not trip and fall in the dark.

"So, we can continue on, or we can make camp here. I don't know how wise it is to be wandering around the dark, yah know? We'll have light from Ben's lantern, but that also means it'll be easier for people to spot us."

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:02 pm

"You're a remote viewer, travelling with a telepath, Captain Shooty Paranoid, and the Queen of Science," Ben pointed out. "I have a weird feeling we're going to be really hard to sneak up on, Rick, lantern or no lantern. Betcha Dr. Brearley has steam-powered ears."

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:13 pm

"You forgot me." Skye says. "Maybe I have super rubberband senses. That tingle. When someone's about to be dropped off a bridge."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Giving Skye a short smile, Vigilant considers Rick's comment. "The faster the better. But getting there exhausted would be useless. It's up to you."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:31 am

Rick chuckled at the thought of Dr. Brearly having steam pouring out of her ears. "The point I'm making is, we have no idea what we're facing. It might move only at night or something. It can't hurt to be cautious. But it really is up to you guys. Ben, you make a good point."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Adannaya huffed at the name Queen of Science. Surely there were other, far more capable individuals "...for that title, if even there was one. But according to the 1894 treaty of The Order of Technological Progress for the Benefit of The Royal British Empire and it's Correlationship with the British Commonwealth and His Royal Highness's God-Given Sovereignity, such a title would severely threaten the peace and stability the treaty was meant to uphold."

She looked at the others and then drew her up to height (thankfully the illusion seemed to cover the green flickering light that occasionally made Dr Brearly look like a large insect), "And I do not employ any such nonsense. Steam-powered hearing? That was disproved rather efficiently at the World's Fair Summit of 1909, thank you very much."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:11 am

Adannaya's comments seem to take Vigilant by surprise, a feeling that still rankles him, but that he's slowly growing accustomed to. He silently stares at her for a moment or two, thinking perhaps he simply heard wrong. The level of technology he's seen, he imagines he almost had to have. "1894? 1909? What year is it on your world today?"

ElComodoro
The Bard(With optional 1000 sands attachment)

Unread postby ElComodoro » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:01 am

(ooc- Sorry for the length between posts! It has been…. Interesting.)

Holden tried to take the illusion in stride, but was never quite sure what to make of such things. The changes on him were not quite as drastic as some of the others, but he always had trouble divorcing the appearance from the function. He could, if he was given some time to concentrate, but that was not always possible. He did, however, stifle a laugh when he saw Rick.

“That depends on the trip,” he answered in response to Ben’s question, “Sometimes it was singing, sometimes it was a word game, and sometimes it was sleeping. Not a lot to say for long walking trips though.” At least, not a trip like this, he thought.

He listened to the conversation about where and when to camp. “I’m not thrilled about making camp, but regardless, we will need to sleep soon. I think though, that we can last an hour, so long as we find an out of the way place in town that doesn’t ask a lot of questions. At any rate, it’ll probably be safer to be indoors there than exposed here. My vote is on town.”
Last edited by ElComodoro on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:18 am

Adannaya looked at Vigilant with a bemused smile and readjusted her nightvision-apparatus again, something that looked pretty strange considering that the tool wasn't technically visible. She pressed something at the side and the machine seemed to slid off her face, and she rubbed her eyes a little before giving a little nod.

"Well, it's the year 1923." she answered with a cheerful smile, "Well, only for a few more days, after which it will be 1924... I believe; I am not entirely at an understanding with how these portals work regarding the passage of time."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:11 pm

"The idea is that there an infinite number of dimensions," Rick said, "And each dimension is at a specific moment in time, and each dimension has one slight change, one choice that was made differently. So there is a dimension for every moment between January 1st, 1800 and January 1st, 1900. There's a different dimension where you brushed your teeth this morning, and there's one where you didn't." Rick took off his hat and smoothed his hair a bit, still unaware of the changes Ben made. He did notice the funny looks the members of the group were giving him, so he could only imagine what kind of illusions Ben had erected around Rick. "We can only actually travel to a number of them, something I heard the techs talking about. Something about there being a specific number of differences in order for us to be able to access the dimension. The Precinct even has a guy who's doing research into this, trying to quantify the types of changes and finding some formula to calculate which dimensions we can go to. It's all very involved stuff."

Rick then walked up next to Ben and smacked him upside the head. "Whatever you did, change it back. Or at least let me in on the joke. I love a laugh as much as the next PI."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:16 pm

Ben just grinned. "I didn't do nothin', old timer." He flicked his fingers in Rick's direction and Rick became aware of the same illusion as everyone else: He looks like a man in his seventies with an enormous gray mountain-man beard down to the middle of his chest.

"Anyway, Spadey's half on. Your dimension being at a different time than Rick's could mean that the Big Bang happened later where you came from, the rise of human society happened differently, or, like, you're measuring time from completely different events which might not have happened in each other's timelines. So yeah, there's a timeline that's set to each of those dates, but it's completely meaningless to say that 'cuz you can't get to most of those anyway, or if you can then they're different enough that what day it is doesn't matter as much because the months have different names. Dimensional travel has to happen on, like, a grid, for some reason; think of each dimension you can go to as being the center in a bubble of places you can never go, but that are all enough like the one at the center that you can get to that there's not much difference. Anyway, point is, the time you spend here will have elapsed in your world. If you were supposed to have dinner somewhere tonight, they're gonna be wondering about you."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:55 pm

The doctor frowned and folded her arms at Ben's explanation. "Then I guess I will miss Christmas... possibly new year's eve as well." she gave a little shrug, but looked somewhat let down. "I had nothing important scheduled, although I had intended to invite some of my colleagues over for a new year's celebration and a disputation of Mathwell's recently published theories on the relevance of the Lorentz transformation when subjects are reporting observations through materials conducting varying levels of electrical voltage." she suppressed a slight smile at Rick's revelation, clearly somewhat amused.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:16 pm

"Christmas?!" Ben said, excited. "Can I come over for Christmas? It's July where I come from. If we're back in time for it, I mean. And...if the multiverse hasn't been taken over, too." His eyes went wide. "I wonder if I could have one body traveling around the multiverse in such a way that wherever he is, it's Christmas."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:18 pm

The doctor was caught completely flatfooted by Ben's odd request and blinked a few times.

"I... I suppose that wouldn't be out of the question, although I honestly have little planned for the holiday, I had been intending to catch up on my research..." she gave the others a questioning look, "If anyone else would be interested in accompanying Ben and I once we are done, I would be delighted to have you over." she smiled a little, but it was obvious from the strain in it that she probably didn't have any preparations done to celebrate the holiday even by herself.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:55 pm

Ben glanced at Dr. Brearley's expression and grinned. "I'm not even reading you and I know you have no idea what you're going to do with people in your house. It's Christmas! You can't research on Christmas." He seemed to think of something and looked around. "How many of you have Christmas where you come from?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:44 am

Rick laughed, thinking about Christmas. It was interesting how time passed between the different worlds. On his world it was the middle of April.

"Yeah, we've got Christmas," Rick said, smiling fondly. "Apple pie and hot toddy. And Suzie makes the best gingerbread houses you'll ever see. The best is when Fat Tony and Little Donny go around giving 'charity.' Always thought it was the funniest thing, but even on Christmas, it's all about the 'business' with those guys."

Rick turned to Dr. Brearly and said "You know, if you don't have any plans for Christmas, you could always make it pot-luck. The rest of us could bring things. Even decorations." Rick smiled a little, going along with Ben's joke about crashing her non-existant Christmas party.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:06 am

Kestrel shook her head to answer Ben's question. "We don't. We celebrate in winter, yes, but your holiday is a very specific, and we don't have..." She waved her hands vaguely, unsure how to express her misgivings about their bizarre religious traditions. "...the... the background stories for it."

Now that Kes considered it, it was highly unlikely that she'd find their gathering any more unfamiliar or awkward than any other forced social occasion. They probably just ate and told stories and eventually descended into bickering and laid down fuel for the next year's hateful behavior. That she knew how to do.

"People celebrate everything the same way, everywhere, so I'm sure no matter how many planar traveling heathens and ruffians and adventuring drunkards appeared on Dr. Brearley's doorstep, they would all keep each other entertained no matter what each thought of themselves as celebrating specifically."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:33 am

Taking in the comments about the differences in time as best he can (though physics isn't exactly his field), Vigilant nods. Still, though, the idea of such technology in the 1920s, it's hard not to be amazed. And then the conversation shifts, with people discussing their own holiday traditions back home. Kestral, like he's noticed she tends to do, gets to the heart of the matter quick, and Vigilant gives a slight laugh of agreement as he looks over to her. "True. 'Background stories' are just excuses for holidays anyway. Not much else to them."

He pauses for a bit, glancing towards Ben. "We've got Christmas at home. Haven't done much for it in years, though. Small family dinner. Things usually get too busy on holidays for more. More people on the streets. Tensions run high. Too tempting a target for some. Still, family. You make time."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:18 am

Rick chuckled and decided to have some fun at Vigilant's expense. "You spend Christmas in your long johns and mask?" he asked.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:31 am

"Don't know. You spend Christmas in black and white with a voice-over?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:06 am

Rick looked very stunned at Vigilant. "You mean... you guys can see colors?" Rick looked very serious for a second, stroking his chin as if pondering the possibilities. He tried his best at ventriloquism and said "And that's when I realized that there was more to these people. They could see every color in the spectrum." He looked over at Vigilant, then cracked a smile and laughed.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:30 am

Skye lights up at the mention of Christmas, and when she gets the opening, starts rambling about her own.

"I love Christmas! Everything is peaceful and it snows a lot and it's always white, and everyone's happy..."

Her expression slowly melts, though. "..Except for when they yell about who's fault I am, and dad yells, and mom cries..."

She stops, slumping forward a bit. "I made myself sad."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:22 am

Dr Brearley listened with rapt fascination as the others made their feelings known regarding christmas. Truth be told, it'd never appealed much to her once her parents had passed away, and the annual christmas celebrations arranged by the union was just...

She snorted slightly and covered her mouth, shaking her head slightly. "Very well, it will have to be... well, I haven't exactly cleaned the place, and I'm not entirely sure if there is still somewhere we can purchase a turkey, although of course we may be able to find one if we are allowed passage to other... ahm, dimensions? And..." she bit her lip in thought as she began to pace around slightly, "The matter of decorations..."

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Despite the fact that Kestrel had nothing to say to these people, it was becoming apparent even to her that she was beginning to like them a bit. They were fun to listen to.

Her silence aside, it was not that Kes was uninterested in their conversation. It was that, mentally, Kestrel was the kind of elderly person who likes to watch the grandkids play in the front yard, but who is psychically exhausted by merely witnessing all that youthful energy exploding all over the place. Eventually just watching everybody else's fun becomes overwhelming, and it's time to go inside for a crossword puzzle and a nap.

Lively conversations made her feel like that. They were still fun, though. In fact, the privilege of having the people she protects and the people she kills be lined up more or less in agreement with which ones she prefers was pretty much the most fun Kestrel knew how to have. Wasn't even work at that point.

But then Skye was upset. It was unfortunate, as Kestrel had no idea what to do about it--especially since her estimation of family gathering ran along very similar lines. Someone ought to say something. Kes wasn't very good at saying things, but perhaps she ought to try anyway. "Yes, well," she answered Skye, "With the exception of you and your brother, none of us here are related. As a result, I believe we can more easily remain civilized."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 pm

"'Cept Spadey, he's a drunk," Ben pointed out.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:15 pm

"You know Ben, I would be offended by that, but you know that I can't actually get a lick to drink. Any where. The darned machines in the Precinct think it's funny to not give me alcohol when I requisition it, even though I see other people getting it." Rick was visibly miffed about this, "In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days one of the machines stuck a little tongue out and blew a raspberry instead of telling me 'The requested item can not be retrieved for you at this time.'"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:20 pm

"Kestrel's right. Maybe you'll get a good Christmas this year." Vigilant squeezes her around the shoulders again. "Somewhere where it snows plenty."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:28 pm

Addy smirked slightly at Vigilant's remark and nodded to herself. "Well, if we do take our festivities to my laboratories, I assure you there will be little disappointment as far as snow is regarded. We are having one of the worst winters in many years, and I have to lift my arms when I'm out walking so they won't drag in it."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:03 am

"Oh man, snow," Rick said, a wistful look in his eye, "Back home, we just passed that point in Chicago where it stopped being my favorite season. Now it's just dark and dreary."

ElComodoro
The Bard(With optional 1000 sands attachment)

Unread postby ElComodoro » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:26 am

Michael listened contentedly to the conversation as he picked his way through the darkening landscape. The bits about interdimensional travel lined up more or less with how he understood it. He’d attended a lecture about dimensional theory a year or so back, plus he had experience in the field as an agent and had spent lots of time around experts on the topic, so he had a fair grasp of the basics, though the more in-depth and theoretical things still alluded him.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve celebrated Christmas, not since I was a teenager… Haven’t had much call too, especially after coming to work at the Precinct,” he said “But I do love the snow. Medical City is close to the equator on Precinct command, so there isn’t much change from season to season.”

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:50 am

Rick looked at the good doctor. "Oh, but at the Precinct it's easy. If you can time it right, you can use the transporter system to get to the poles easily. Then all you've gotta do is find one of them new-fangled doors. That one's a little harder to do. Planet Zero's got a beautiful Aurora, and the air up there is nice and crisp. And there's always snow. You ought to jump up there when you get a chance." Rick then thought about it again, and continued with, "If we don't all stop existing in the near future."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:19 pm

[[OOC: So... uhh... obviously no one's going to write anything more regarding christmas and CI... timeskip?]]

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:46 am

(OOC: Yes please!)

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:59 pm

(OOC: Hey, I'm posting!)

In the due course of things, the group did in fact make it to the nearest bit of civilization. Ben's illusions were not far off and only needed minor fine-tuning to make the group look quite normal. The people in the town proved to be mostly archetypal humans, with few of the amphibious humanoids present in the town's populace, those that were present living exclusively at the water's edge.

"We can look for transportation in the morning," Ben said. "I need to shut down the collective for the night. I'll still be able to monitor the minds of the populace in my sleep, and I'll wake us all if we have to run. My thought is that since we blew up the working portal, the other one can wait a little while. Guy back at the Precinct said it was fritzed out, right? Well I just checked it from Benheim, and he's totally right. Getting 'portal offline' errors."

An inn was found, a shabby one by modern standards with straw pallets (clean, thankfully) for beds, and Ben made the proprietor believe he was paid in full for three rooms. Ben requested to stay with Rick.

Rick:

Spoiler:
Ben sits for a while on the pallet looking pensive before striking up a conversation with you. "I think we're being played, Richard. Command is fucking with us and I don't like it."

(OOC: This would probably be best done over IM. I'd stumble over the words in person (you know how abysmal an NPC-player I am...) and it'll take too long over the forum.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:49 am

As they walk into the town, Vigilant watches, learning the layout and taking in the nature of the populace. With the situation they're entering into, the way even Skye's fellow agents have been taken, anyone here could be a threat, if not an especially subtle one. He keeps his eyes especially peeled for any signs of the religion that's been spreading so far across so many reflections of reality, looking for even the slightest clue of its presence. Beyond that, though, he looks for any other locals dressed as his illusion, trying to identify just what group, caste, or association he's been cloaked as. Ben must have chosen this disguise for a reason when he could have made Vigilant look as anything or anyone, and knowing how he's meant to act is likely to be a great help in the future.

He remains silent in his observations as they follow the road to the inn, keeping to the back of the group and doing his best to remain if not unnoticed, then at least not memorable. After the rooms have been "paid" for, he gives them each a quick glance about, paying special attention to the doors and windows of each. He nods to himself before returning to the hallway. "These should do. How early tomorrow?"

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Addy found herself observing the people around her with as much curiosity as she could muster, as the long walk seemed to have exhausted her somewhat. Like Vigilant, however, she seemed intent on learning more about how she should behave, and she noticeably nodded a few times to herself, as if she agreed with herself on an observation or another. She began to pick up on small cues, like how she should carry herself (And remarkably well, she did, as you could hardly tell she was actually wearing pants and a shirt, the girl wore a 'dress' well), nodding politely with a smile if someone took off their hat, or other small, subtle cultural niceties.

Truth be told though, her attention would have rather been focused on the aquatic natives, but she knew the mission had to take priority at least for now.

"I assume that I, miss Kestrel and miss Skye shall share a room for the night? Will there be time tomorrow to investigate this settlement? I'm sure there are plenty of things we can learn from these people."

[Woo! Game!]

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:13 pm

"Well, any of you ladies are welcome to room with Ben and I. I guarantee a fun night." He said this as he walked into his room, smiling to indicate he was joking.

In the room, Rick took off his coat and his hat and threw them on the bed that he would take, brushed his hair back a little bit, then sat down with a huff.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:31 pm

Kestrel winced at being shifted off to bunk with the females in the party, particularly Skye. Kestrel wasn't quite sure whether she expected to be suffocated in her sleep, or wake to find the girl spooning behind her, but either way, the woman was irregular and not knowing what to expect was just plain frustrating.

Still. She couldn't just go bed down with the men, either. Whether she cared or not, they would, and everybody would whisper and complain and gossip and be unbearable.

"That's acceptable," she answered Addy. "And please, don't call me Miss Kestrel. Kestrel is sufficient. Really."

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs