Supervillainy, Inc.

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
la_chibi

Supervillainy, Inc.

Unread postby la_chibi » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Now a very belated continuation of a thread from this summer. I finally pulled my act together enough to figure out where I'm going with this.

In a nutshell: Punchclock supervillains.

In more detail: Superpowers are cropping up in general populace, and individuals with these powers are required to register themselves with the government. There are a few well-paying jobs out there... but they are few and far between. For the superpowered individual who does not have one of these jobs, and still wants to pay the bills, there are opportunities in the private sector: namely, supervillainy. Oddly enough, this is not illegal, strictly speaking: in fact, quite a few of these self-styled 'supervillain' organizations cooperate readily with police. However, the goals of these groups, and of the individuals within them, do not necessarily match up with the public good.

"Supervillainy, Inc." is one of the gold standards of the industry out there. As their advertisements inform, "Do not go with generic evil! Go for the worst! Supervillainy, Inc.!" They regulate squabbles between superpowered individuals, handle casing locations for supervillains, and even assist the local police when a rogue supervillain goes on the rampage. Their leader goes simply by the moniker of "The Mogul."

In the city where the campaign will take place, there are a few individuals in the limelight, who your characters should be familiar with and recognize on sight. One of them is Mighty Miss, who humbly introduces herself to the public as a "flying brick." Endowed with super strength, damage resistance bordering on invincibility, flying ability, and a few *ahem* assets that render her quite photogenic, she is one of the public's best-loved heroes, and enjoys a lucrative government wage.

The other maverick superhero of the region, the Flasher, is a self-proclaimed vigilante whose claim to fame is that he fights crime at high speeds... in the buff. Despite numerous public decency violations, he has always evaded police captures. However, there are quite a few videos circulating the Internet showing him having 'hands-on' interactions with his adoring female fanbase.

Now: mechanics. We will be using the Window system. For those who are not familiar, the link is http://www.mimgames.com/window/ With your character app, please include your appearance (in costume) and background. Please keep in mind that at the start of the game, you will be playing entry level characters, who are trying to succeed in getting a job or internship with Supervillainy, Inc.

A few notes on the superpowers: I am dividing this into both raw power and control. Say your power is over fire. If you have great power, you can launch a fireball that devastates a city. If you have great control, you can shape your flames into lacework. If you have great power, but not great control, you might end up with huge unintentional collateral damage. If you have great control, but not great power, you may have to content yourself with being your group's cigarette lighter.

Sample character sheet:
The Intern
Appearance: A tall, slender woman with blonde hair, tied back into a high ponytail. Most of her face is obscured by a satin blue, slightly oversized domino mask. Underneath the mask, her eyes are nothing but a blank, unblinking white glow. Meeting that gaze for too long can be slightly uncomfortable, despite the cheerful smile she is more than willing to bestow. When manning the front desk, she favors powder blue business attire.

Background: Ever since high school, the Intern has been avidly following Mighty Miss' exploits, and wishes nothing more than to follow in the footsteps of her hero. However, until donning a domino mask at a somewhat creepy Halloween store (which has never been heard of again!), she knew her lack of powers would hold her back. Once the mask was on though, she realized that she had enough powers to get into the game, but not enough to make her as big a success as Mighty Miss. Additionally, she has the uncomfortable feeling that the mask whispers things while she sleeps. Since then, she began college, working on her marketing degree, and has recently begun her internship at Supervillainy, Inc.

Quote: "Like, omigawd! I SO hope Mighty Miss will thwart me!"
Superpowers: Illusion magic.

Basic Stats
Strength: A bit on the weak side. (d20)
Agility: Average agility. (d12)
Health: Takes good care of herself. (d10)
Knowledge: Some college. (d10)
Perception: Keenly aware of her surroundings. (d8)

Superpowered Stats: Illusions (visual)
Power: She has decent powers, but can't perform large illusions, as they tend to look rather attenuated. (d12)
Control: Excellent, due to her practicing in her highschool's drama department. (d8)

Skills
Combat: Like all employees, the Intern has been taught basic hand-to-hand combat. (d12)
Cooking: Cooks as little as possible. (d30)
Driving: Practiced in evasive driving techniques. (d10)
Firearms: A lousy shot. (d20)
Swimming: Swims with more practicality than style. (d20)

I will accept as many character apps as I feel comfortable GMing for, which will probably be about 3-6. I haven't set any particular power guidelines because I am curious to see what people will come up with.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Re: Supervillainy, Inc.

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:55 pm

Is this going to be on the forums, I assume?

If so, I'm very tempted. =O

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:43 pm

I believe I might have expressed interest of this in the past, but regardless I do so now. I am along the same line as Dave, if it'll be a board-game I'm game. :D

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Totally a board game. Pharmacy school is biting into my time majorly.

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:28 am

OK, now that I have gauged some interest...

I would ideally like this game to launch in a week or two, so I'm waiting for fleshed out character sheets to trickle in. I'm available for questions or other concerns via messaging.

So, tentatively, character deadline is January 18th, as I'd like the game up and running by the 23rd.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:46 pm

So, oddly enough, the only problem I'm having with this character is the super power itself. Go figure. =/
Rather than just sit on this, I'll edit my post once I have more fleshed out.

He's based on a one-shot guy I did for a superhero-based chat RP awhile ago.
Desperately trying to avoid him tipping too far into the 'wangst' category, but we'll see how it plays out.
Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Altername Nickname: GM Fodder =x

Shades

Appearance: A young man of average height, somewhat thin compared to most.
Has shoulder-length dark-red hair and pale skin.
Usually wears a black trenchcoat with matching boots and gloves.
Gloves and coat have a design of linked circles with jagged lines with.
Design is a simplified version of an elaborate tattoo on the back of his right shoulder.
Is normally never seen without his sunglasses. This is due to his eyes, which are covered by a layer of dark purple energy.

Background:
Much of this young man's past is a mystery. Especially to the young man himself. What little he does remember of his early years, unfortunately, is not that pleasant. His earliest memories are of a well known Superhero team. The group discovered him in the rubble of an apparent super villain attack. The team's scientist, concerned about Shade's tattoo and apparent dark powers, conducted several painful experiments on the young boy, all in secret. When a Super villain group later attacked their headquarters, Shades decided to take his chances with them instead.

At first, this villain group treated him well enough, trying to give him some guidance on the nature of his powers. However, he got wind of their own plan to perform experiments on him. Feeling betrayed again, he set out on his own. Unfortunately for Shades, he still had trouble controlling his powers. After several run-ins with the authorities, he was offered his last chance: "Supervillainy Inc." In exchange for working for the group as part of his parole, they will do what they can to help him learn to control his powers.

Shades is still a relatively new recruit for Supervillainy Inc.
Given his past experience with Supers from both sides of the spectrum, he has difficulty trusting most people.
He waits to see if this group will actually stand by their word...

Quote: "...look, enough pretending to be my friend. Just say what you want from me."

SuperPower: [To be determined]

Basic Stats
Strength: Average strength. (d12)
Agility: High agility. (d8)
Health: Keeps in good shape, due to his physical combat training: (d10)
Knowledge: Basic education, though he's not sure where he learned certain things from. (d12)
Perception: Completely color-blind, otherwise has decent eyesight and hearing. (d10)
Can see in the dark.

SuperPowered Stats:
Power: From what little Shades is able to manifest properly, it seems to be quite strong. (d10)
Control: Still knows very little about the nature of his powers. Due to this, can have great difficulty controlling it (d20)

Skills
Combat: Due to the nature of his superpower, prefers to fight with his bo staff. (d8)
Guitar: When not training his powers/combat, frequently plays music to relieve stress. (d10)
Vocals: Can carry a tune pretty well. And would likely be told so, if he didn't try to hide it. (d10)
Swimming: Should not be left alone near water. His large phobia toward water doesn't help either. (d30)

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:24 am

I like! And wangst isn't too bad, as long as you're willing to poke fun at it. The game is a superhero spoof as much as a superpowered game. I do approve of "GM Fodder". =)

As for the original superhero group that found you: they would be the Quintessential Quartet, this world's tip of the hat to the Fantastic Four. Professor Q would be the one that attempted the experiments on you.

For the supervillain group that busted him out, I am proposing PAETA, or Powers Against Eating Tasty Animals, a superpowered vigilante offshoot of PETA, though the PETA of this world disavows all affiliation with them. Generally considered by the public to be more eccentric and weird than outright harmful, though they do quite a bit of collateral damage against anyone that's not a bunny. While with them, you would have been scolded heartily for trying to eat a burger or anything else with meat product in it.

Depending on your age, you may be housed in one of the company's on-site dormitories, usually held for field operatives who need to lie low from their cover identities. At the point the game begins, I'd like you to have just joined, rather than receiving any specialized training yet. Perhaps just a basic orientation of the facilities. However, the Mogul will have taken you aside and quite bluntly told your character that he doesn't care whether Shades likes it or not, but he will learn from them. He will also freely admit to being selfishly interested, as a strong, trained power is an asset to any superpowered individual, as well as whoever is fortunate for whoever employs them.

What manifestations of power has Shades been able to pull off? Pretty much anything you can think of is fair game.

Edit and added: Piecing things together, if you're still having issues coming up with a specific power, why not go for the obvious? Shadow control. As in he can blend into shadows, move through them without being seen, and even make them semi-solid, functioning as extra weapons or armour. The drawback, of course, would be that he needs shadows around him in order for his power to function. At night though, once trained, he would be pretty formidable.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Actually, the shadow thing was part of his MO during the one-shot RP.
In that Shades, was a former super-villian turned hero while on parole.

I was just worried the manipulating shadows thing sounded a bit overkill. =x

As for when he first manifested his powers: It may/may not have been related to the rubble he was found in. I leave that for future GM fodder. =O
Earliest Shades would likely remember 'voluntarily' using it (damn that Proffesor Q >=( )would be working with PAETA.
The silly side of me would like to say there was a certain mishap involving his powers going out of control, and a barn full of horses. =)

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Haywire
Appearance: The Haywire proves that it's quite possible to make a good super-villain outfit on a budget. With spikey, crazed hair dyed dark red and yellow (resembling almost the burning tail of a comet) and black paint to accentuate the glowing yellow-white of his eyes, he makes for an intimidating person; especially considering his almost 7 feet tall stature. A hoodie and cargo pants, black with flame-like patterns of the sides of his sleeves and pants make up for his clothes, with the complementary accessories of a fire-patterned scarf wrapped around the lower parts of his face and industrial boots and protection gloves with the finger-tips cut off to provide access to his powers (without going through several pairs of gloves). Haywire has put a lot of effort into looking scary, crazy almost, and his quiet, menacing glares and destructive glee, he hopes, will make him a villain to remember.

Background: Francis Boulliard grew up in the apple-and-pie middle-class family in a part of society where he was perfectly safe for most of his childhood. He had plenty of friends, good grades and a promising future ahead of him in the field of electrical engineering. Fairly popular at school, part of a power metal-band with some friends and a part-time job as a computer technician was enough for him to enjoy life to the fullest. He graduated with distinction, and set out into the big world with his future set in cement.

That was, until the accident. While repairing a broke-down computer network at the R&D department of a major Weapons and Tech-corporation, Francis accidentally crossed a pair of wires, and set off one of the experimental weapons being produced whilst simultaneously blowing out every major piece of electronics in a good square mile.

When he came too, he found himself contained in a sound and air-proof chamber, studied by the same corporation that'd deviced the weapon. Perhaps because of the near-death experience, trauma to his brain, or the simple suppressed urges of any normal human, Francis found that his new-found powers to manipulate electricity came with certain urges. Pretending to be losing the powers, he waited until a chance presented itself before he escaped the facility, killing anyone who came in his way as he fled into the darkness of the city.

Realizing returning to his old life would put his family and friends in danger (and having no real desire to do so either), he briefly considered becoming a hero. Ultimately, however, the easier path was more tempting, and so he set forth to create an alter-ego for himself. Luckily he had kept the outfit he wore during his band-days, and with a few modifications it made for the perfect outfit. Realizing the potential threat of committing crimes mindlessly, he started slow, doing a few thefts and heists, mostly solo, before deciding to go pro and sign up with Supervillainy Inc. Besides, that Mighty Miss might try to punch his clocks out one of these days, and she's not exactly bad on the eyes.

Quote: "Good, you're up. I was worried this was going to be another easy fight."
Superpowers: Electrical Control

[Have not worked on stats yet, heading for work so I will update when I do so]

Basic Stats
Strength: Neither very strong nor weak. (d12)
Agility: Fairly mobile (d10)
Health: Should probably exercise more (d12)
Knowledge: Highly Accomplished Engineer (d8)
Perception: Taught to pay attention (d10)

Superpowered Stats: Electrical Control
Power: He is able to generate significant amounts of power by himself, and with additional power sources he becomes even stronger (d6)
Control: Haywire has very little control over his power, causing general destruction even when restraining himself. (d30)

Skills
Combat: He's taken a few classes (d20)
Electrical Engineering: Has a degree in this (d4)
Driving: Has had a car for a few years (d20)
Drums: Could probably be in a band, yeah! *head-bangs* (d6)
Urban Hiding: Don't talk to anyone you knew, always pay cash, the whole shebang. (d10)
Last edited by ChristianC on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:13 pm

Well, you've pretty much guaranteed there will be some kind of music-related subplot now =P

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:56 pm

It amuses me far too much that Haywire's template, until editing, uses the Intern's stats.

Anyways: Back to Dave! At this point, I care more about "will it be interesting?" than balance. So far, the fact that a blazing lightsource wipes out the source of your character's energy, despite his strength.... I think that'll be balance enough.

Mm, subplots.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:01 am

:O

I haven't posted an update to Haywire, for a reason I shall now reveal.

Is there a... set amount of dice you put out on your character, or do you put them out as you feel 'appropriate'? I've been glancing at the system, but it doesn't seem to say, and I just wanted to get this cleared before I continue.

Also, yeah, I actually put that in to justify why he'd go for this kind of appearance ('though he has more of a raver-type look to be honest), but then I remembered how your character plays the guitar, so that's sexcellent. Most likely Francis played Bass, but drums' not an imposibility either.

Finally, I might redo his past a bit to make it more interesting, but right now I imagine him either living in a cheap hotel or in a rented storage-space, seeing as he's more or less abandoned his previous life and is traveling as much incognito as he can.

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:13 am

Just flesh it out as you feel appropriate, and I'll thwap you if it crosses any lines. Just remember that you guys are fairly new on the scene, and thus won't be ultimately as polished as a more senior superpower.

In other words, if every stat and ability is d8, you might want to consider toning it down.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:19 pm

There we go, stats fixed, going with the extreme powerhouse, but as he's properly calling himself 'Haywire', I'd say there's always a bit of collateral.

:D This is one of the reasons he's not a hero, aside from the fact that he's got a major corporation man hunting him, he also causes enough damage that if he's supposed to pay for repairs, he'll never break even.

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:54 pm

OK. I like it, but the only request I have right now is that you downgrade the power from d4 to d6 for now, because control will be one of the issues that the Mogul will raise with Haywire immediately. (Or lower. Eh, in-game development.)

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:22 am

Whoop!

All right, game will be starting Saturday. Other apps will be considered and accepted if they pop in, but I think this can work with two people. =)

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:02 am

Awesome-sauce, sorry I didn't post a reply but I did the edits and then prompty almost fell asleep. Then I almost went to bed in my almost bed.

Anyway! Woo! Game! Yeah!

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:51 pm

This should be interesting! =O

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:38 pm

One more note as I'm filling out the game:

Haywire! The corporation that created/captured him was Devry International. While they frequently pop up in the media, they have a somewhat mixed reputation; despite their generous contributions to charities in third world countries, detractors have accused them of smuggling weapons and illegal testing. While captured by them, you would also have heard rumors about "other subjects" who may have also acquired powers through exposure to other experimental devices. One big wig frequently came to observe your progress, though you were never able to pick up her name. She was not present when you broke free, and so escaped your rampage.

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Game is up!

Christian, I apologize for how short your opening is for now. It will get better soon, I promise. =(

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:28 pm

I will try to get something posted soon, but I'm pretty swamped with work tonight (work tues-saturday nights) =/

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:44 pm

Likewise, I find myself distracted by a chat RP at the moment, but I will get something up as soon as I can.

And don't worry, there's plenty for me to work with, and I've not exactly given you much :O

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:17 pm

Finally posted.

It's nice to see I haven't lost my knack for posts with 4 paragraphs of internal monolog, and one sentance of spoken words.

x_x

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:57 pm

Woohoo! Now things are getting where I want! >3

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:18 am

:D

Golden Girl is going down!

la_chibi

Unread postby la_chibi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:02 am

Perhaps! Either way, fight club scene!

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

I suck =/

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:56 am

I would like to say that some kind of personal emergency, or real life 'oh shiteness' came up and caused me to miss checking the RP for three weeks.

But I can't. =/

Truth is, I completely forgot about watching the RP for awhile.
Nothing to do with either of you, it's entirely me and my shitty attention span.
This is mostly why you don't see me joining RP's on the forums that much lately.
Really sorry again about this. =/

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun May 02, 2010 3:07 am

Hey, no worries bro. I was wondering, but it's not like I thought you'd just bail on us, so no sweat on my behalf. In future cases though, if you use a RSS feed, there's one for RPGWW too, which tells you when threads are updated. :O

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:37 pm

"Once he'd blown his load, though, that'd be it."

No one told me there was going to be this kind of shenanigans in the RP. >=(

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon May 03, 2010 3:29 pm

:D

Return to OOC RP Discussion