CHRISTIAN!

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

CHRISTIAN!

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:52 am

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Re: CHRISTIAN!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:19 am

Haha!

Yeah.

We're weird.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:01 am

Yes.

Yes you are.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:17 am

What's wrong with Kal-lay An-kah?

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:55 am

Celebrating the most psychotic bastard of all time on a family orientated holiday is pretty creepy.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:49 am

THAT is the best comic of Donald Duck ever.

And come on. Who here can honestly say they like Mickey Mouse, or even Goofy? Both are annoying, one-dimensional characters. Donald, on the other hand. He's real. I can feel his anger and frustration.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:02 pm

It's true. Donald is there, in all of us. And he didn't have to pull any Bumbles' teeth to get into Christmas. Truly, Donald represents the modern spirit of Christmas.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:09 pm

... You two are both full of shit.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:38 pm

You know we're right.
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:07 am

Priam is correct to such a degree that it's actually sort of scary.

I've never really been a huge fan of Mickey, but I've always sort of liked Goofy. Yeah, he's annoying comic relief, but he's usually just this side of Jar Jar. Plus he's got that iconic "YAAAAAAAAA-hoo-hoo-hooieeee!" yell thing. And Goof Troop was awesome.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:46 pm

I can't remember who it was that said it first, but Mickey Mouse is someone that everyone is aware of, but no one actually likes. It's very strange.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:34 pm

I've heard that saying only in response to Garfield.

MONDAY ODIE DIETS LASAGNA JON

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:19 pm

Jesus, man, spoilers!

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:08 am

Idran1701 wrote:I can't remember who it was that said it first, but Mickey Mouse is someone that everyone is aware of, but no one actually likes. It's very strange.

1. I'm fairly sure if that were at least true for ALL TIME, and not just within recent memory, he would never have become the ridiculously well known character he is today.

2. I just think that he may have fallen victim to the Ensemble Darkhorse Syndrome. It's not that he's a necessarily BAD character, it's just that he's surrounded by more interesting characters.

3. ... so, I'm the only one who found it awesome when he showed up in the Kingdom Hearts series?

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 pm

Yes. The rest of us were waiting to play around with Superglide some more.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:06 pm

I had to read that post three times before I didn't read it as 'astroglide'.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:12 pm

I suppose at least one of us was waiting to play with that, too.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:02 pm

KingOfDoma wrote:
Idran1701 wrote:I can't remember who it was that said it first, but Mickey Mouse is someone that everyone is aware of, but no one actually likes. It's very strange.

1. I'm fairly sure if that were at least true for ALL TIME, and not just within recent memory, he would never have become the ridiculously well known character he is today.

I didn't say all time, though. I'm talking about recent history.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:11 pm

KingOfDoma wrote:
3. ... so, I'm the only one who found it awesome when he showed up in the Kingdom Hearts series?

To be honest, it was a bit of a let-down. I think the use of coats was so greatly exaggerated in KoH II that it was hard to make out who was what. Like, the nobodies had their cloaks, and Mickey had one like it, but then there were others in other similar cloaks who weren't, and then maybe someone was part of the organization, but only in an alternative future realm, and etc.

I barely remember the plot of the second game, mostly because I was binging Guinness while playing. Originally as a refresher, but soon as a sort of blanket against the game itself.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:58 am

In other words, because their vastly different faces, hairstyles, and weapons weren't big enough indicators to who was who, you couldn't tell one member of Organization XIII from another. Kay...

*starting to believe NOTHING he likes is liked by RPGWW...*

Wait, it's just Christian. Never mind.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Ain't I a stinker?

Also, durp. When their hoods are down and they're talking about things mysteriously. But whatever, you KNOW I don't like none of the shizzle you do, Chuck mah boi.

Second Edit: And yeah, I more or less don't like anything. Ask Jak.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:31 pm

I just find it hilarious that Organization XIII has become more popular than anything else in Kingdom Hearts.

I'm not sure if I get annoyed by them because

A) I legitimately think they're a dumb concept. (that they have to cop-out with "Oh, they're faking emotions.")

B) The fanbase going so rabidly "OMG THEY ARE SO HAWT *begins writing slash*"

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Tell me about it.

I have a female friend who knows EVERYTHING about the Organization, and her slash-folder's huge... allegedly, as I refuse to view such smut.

She has not, however, played even an hour of any of the games.

That makes me pants-sad.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Ah, think of it this way. You're killing emo kids. "Where is MY heart? I'm not actually ALIVE! I'm gonna go listen to my MCR/Simple Plan playlist!"

... and that would probably explain the love of slash...

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm not entirely sure what Cha is implying; maybe that emo kids love slash? Or that people who write and read slash fiction are emo, or that they like emo kids? Or maybe that Newtons are not, in fact, fruit and cake?

In any case, I'm with ChristianC on Organization 13 members being samey. And it's not just that they have 95% similar designs among them, it's that they're boss fights and not characters at all. Obsessing about one of them is like being a hardcore fan of Armored Giant Asshole: HOKARM or whatever the most recent Zelda game has churned out. No need to bother remembering their names; they'll be gone soon.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:05 pm

PriamNevhausten wrote:Or maybe that Newtons are not, in fact, fruit and cake?

You take that back.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:29 am

KingOfDoma wrote:*starting to believe NOTHING he likes is liked by RPGWW...*

God, FINALLY.

Now we can start working on making Archmage seem less full of himself over AIM.
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:41 am

Shinigori V2 wrote:
KingOfDoma wrote:*starting to believe NOTHING he likes is liked by RPGWW...*

God, FINALLY.

Now we can start working on making Archmage seem less full of himself over AIM.

And your anger issues! :D

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:52 am

It's pretty impressive how much I dislike O13 considering I've never played anything they've been in. Kind of sad they had to cock up a game about Disney characters hanging out and kicking ass with Final Fantasy characters with a villain group consisting of generically mysterious cloaked emotionally stunted fangirl-bait. One Sephy-chan is more than enough, thank you.

Plus, you know, and all the other things that were wrong with those games.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:00 am

They almost had it with Roxas and Xemnas, but the inclusion of 11 completely unknown characters' nobodies just wasn't a smart move in my opinion.

Mostly I think it's the fault of Tetsuya Nomura. Sure, the guy does some awesome character design, but I just don't think he measures up to Sakaguchi in terms of making a good game.

Then again, I'm of the opinion that FFIX was the last good Final Fantasy.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:29 pm

That's an opinion? I thought that was a fact.

I kid, I kid. Or do I? X and XII did do some interesting things, in addition to all the stupid things they did.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:28 pm

It should be a fact.

And XII was... different. But not good different. I think the developers got too twisted up about making a more 'realistic' (read political) world that they just forgot how to make things grand. 3/4th of the game you stumble around blindly, and honestly you have no idea what you're doing. Like, do I want to reinstate this here princess as Queen? I guess? But then we're off to find some kind of anti-materia? Wuh? Gah? Oh look, a guy in awesome armor!

And to add: Oh, look, Cid? Wait, he's evil? I guess! :O OMG large monsters? Old ruins? Gah a boss-fight? Woo mercenary quests, oh awesome, a guy from some country I've never heard about before with sunglasses?

Guh? Wugghug?

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:29 pm

Sounds like SaGa Frontier. :c00lisar:

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

I really liked the gambit system, but I really hated the "Soloing in an MMORPG" feel, the protagonist who is completely unlikeable in any way, the fact that the game took place in a world filled with fantastical characters and all but one of your party is human, and some other thing that I've forgotten since I started this post.

Was it the grid system? No, there was something else that really bugged me...

Whatever.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 pm

The lack of good minigames?

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:04 am

I didn't like how the grid system made sure that your characters rapidly became homogeneous. Nor did I like how Basch wasn't the main character. I've heard from one or two places that test groups expressing displeasure about main character who aren't barely out of puberty being to blame for that.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:40 am

But, like, omg we need our bishies lololololol. And they need to be sad and hate themselves and stuff so it can be like FF7 all over again and like omgomg! lol. rofl. Bishie kawaii no desu desu, che no baka desuuuuuuu.

Ok, I think I'm done now.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:27 pm

Test groups are kind of bullshit anyway. Of course the same old shit is going to resonate better with people at first sip than something fresh. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's what people actually want.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:29 pm

I suppose it says something about the game that I can't recall the villain's name for the life of me. But yeah, interesting concepts but flawed execution in places. Plus of course a severely non-goal-oriented hero.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:47 pm

To be honest, FF7's Cloud at least put up a front of being butch and cool to hide his own insecurity, instead of wallowing in it and being all manic-depressive flim-flammy like Tidus. And the main-character in FFXII, whatever his name was.

Next

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn