Precinct: The Godswallowers (closed M&M RP)

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Christian
Dead Stompy

Re: Precinct: The Godswallowers (closed M&M RP)

Unread postby Christian » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Adannaya's smile faded somewhat and she readjusted her glasses, seemingly somewhat uncomfortable talking about it.

"Ah, well... It's... it's a bit more complicated than that." she gave the others a look, it's something of my own design, previously I had a wind-up mechanism that functioned fairly well, but recently I have been studying the properties of certain chemical compounds and it's influence in producing efficient forms of energy. It's really something I haven't expected to work out well, but I believe this source of energy is a sufficient substitute for using steam..." she frowned, "I apologize for claiming that it runs on steam, but it has satisfied some of my colleagues in the past when given as an explanation. I've also heard told that there is a scientist researching in Alaska whether or not it would be possible to employ a form of pure mineral water in a heavily condensed form, although it's not something I've been licensed to study further."

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:43 am

Suddenly, there was what may have been an overabundance of Skye in the room.

Skye had returned now, though her clothing was different. She dressed now in the same bomber jacket, though she also had a blue and yellow bodysuit, and a blue domino mask, though it was still obvious it was her. Her hair was tied back in a tiny ponytail, and she rested her hands on her hips. She also had a satchel firmly over her shoulders.

"Okay, I'm all set! But we got one more comin' now, just waitin' on him."

(Sorry for the delay followed by such a short post.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:48 am

A voice echoes from the doorway behind Skye at her comment, with a bit of a disgruntled tone to it. "I'm here."

Coming in behind Skye, the owner of the voice steps in. They can tell he's a somewhat tall-looking man, a bit above six feet, and he's got black hair that looks like it could use a trim, but otherwise, there's not much to tell physically. Close to his entire form is covered: his body with an armored jumpsuit, colored in mottled black-and-grey, with thin leather gloves and boots; his face with a black mask, eyes covered by amber-colored half-spheres of glass and mouth with what can just barely be made out as the filter of a thin gas mask. Across his chest are two bandoleers, matching the belt around his waist, all covered with dozens of slim grey cylinders, about the size of a film canister. A heavily-modified firearm of some sort hangs in a holster at his left hip, while a black, plastic rectangle attaches to his belt at his right.

"Pleasure to meet you all. Let me see if I have your names straight." He looks across the gathered group, nodding to each in turn as he reaches their name. "Dr. Brearley, Dr. Holden, Rick Spade, and Kestrel?" He pauses briefly as he reaches Ben. "And I don't believe I was given your name. I prefer to go by 'Vigilant', myself.

"I was given most of the details of this expedition before I arrived, no need to catch me up. Once I make sure this...organization brought my vehicle over safely, I'll be ready to go with the rest of you."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:54 am

Skye grinned at the others, before turning and bouncing around Vigilant for a minute, before seeming to effortlessly jump onto his back. Poking her head over his shoulder, she grins widely at the others again. "This is my brother, Viggie! He's a doctor, with a PHD in KICKING YOUR ASS. ...Well not your ass, but ass all around."

She hopped off a minute later, returning to her normal spot, seemingly lost in thought, two fingers to her chin and staring off into space.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:57 pm

"Ben James," Ben introduced himself. ''Uh, one of. There is a bunch of me. Long story. There are seven of me in the room with us right now."

Another man in Vigilant's field of vision who had been loitering near the computers in the background turned and waved to Vigilant before turning back to talk to someone. The man who waved looked enough like Ben to be a twin, and was dressed identically.

"You'll just be dealing with this body," Ben - the one who had introduced himself - said, "but others of me are going elsewhere, so I'll be able to update you guys on the other expeditions. So, uh, Vigilant, huh? Are you, like, s'posed to be here? I didn't see a sixth name on the docket for this mission. Not that I care, 'course."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Glancing back to Skye when she hops on her back, he chuckles, squeezing her hand. He straightens himself after she hops off, glancing between the two Bens. After a moment of taking in the oddity, he nods to theirs. "I'm not sure about 'supposed to', but that's never been enough to stop me before. From the sound of it, another body will only help your chances, and I'm not one to let something as tyrannical as...whatever's causing this plague of repression continue without stepping in myself. Is that going to be a problem?"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Adannaya observed the rather... energetic, not to mention sporadic movement of Skye with a look of puzzlement on her face and at the sight of the man introduced as her brother, with a PHD in... in... she gave a nervous smile, affirming it a bit more when the man spoke to them, nodding in turn, showing that no matter what he had taken his PHD in, he was at least not going to kick any of their... ah... well... behinds.

"Indeed, yes, I am Dr. Adannaya Brearly. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, mr Vigilant." she looked to Ben, "We are all gathered, then?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:50 pm

Rick waved nodded to greet Mr. Vigilant, not entirely surprised by his arrival. He knew of Skye's brother, but didn't know that much about him, since he wasn't actually affiliated with the Precinct. As far as he was concerned, the man was another person to help them out, but also could be another body to be taken over by whatever force was doing this. He also didn't like not knowing anything about him, abilities or otherwise. Too bad he didn't have any time to make some calls.

"Well, then I guess we had better get this gig on the road," he said, clapping Ben on the shoulder.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:02 am

"A vehicle, you said, though, right?" Ben said, addressing Vigilant. "Someone's gonna have to clear that through, which will be hard because you're not actually an agent. I can probably do it. What kind of vehicle is it? It might be hard to mask it when we get to the world we're going to. They've never seen an engine before there, and anyway we're supposed to be traveling across water."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:16 am

"...They've never seen an engine? I think my sister left some details out about our destination." With a light chuckle, Vigilant waves off Ben's concerns. "Don't bother, then. I can do without for this trip. In that case, the sooner we get out of here and on the job, the better. I can leave immediately."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:31 am

Adannaya listened attentively to the passing discussion between Ben and this new addition to their team, Vigilant, but glanced towards the portals.

"Perhaps we ought to proceed to our destination, gentlemen?"

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:02 am

It was beginning to become very clear that the Precinct had no criteria Kestrel would have recognized for evaluating the sanity of its agents. It was her opinion that Skye was a little... "touched" to be doing this work, but while Kestrel would not have picked the exuberant girl for a squad herself... clearly the Precinct must have their reasons.

So it was when she emerged with her tall, masked brother, Kestrel regarded him silently and didn't comment. He had a what in kicking ass? At least his name was easy enough to remember. She didn't know anyone else whose name was an adjective. And speaking of adjectives... tyrannical was what he'd called their current problem.

Tyranny and repression? He wasn't one of those heroic warriors, was he? Gallivanting off into danger to save the universe from itself? What in the hell had Skye been telling him?

Happy to leave the pleasantries to Rick and Ben, Kestrel waited for those who were more talented with such things to finish. "Agreed, Dr. Brearly," she answered, still heedless of the fact that when people addressed 'gentlemen' around her, they were not including her in the set.

Perhaps when they got going, Kestrel would have a better idea of what in the world she was supposed to do. As long as her duties consisted of greeting the staff and her teammates and their families and the other bodies in their hiveminds and gods knew what else, she would consider herself too far in over her head even to begin.

ElComodoro
The Bard(With optional 1000 sands attachment)

Unread postby ElComodoro » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:20 pm

Skye didn’t enter the room. She invaded it. That fact amused Michael when he heard her enter. She certainly had presence. He turned to greet her, and was surprised when she mentioned another party. He’d been under the impression that the entire group had assembled at Chon-Marshak’s office, and the file bundle he had received only included their names and records. He was curious as to the nature of this person, but didn’t have long to dwell on it as the party in question entered almost directly after Skye.

The contrast between the two could not have been more stark. Where Skye was loud and boisterous, this newcomer was subtle and articulate. She was dressed in bold colors; his armor was muted and adorned with a wide range of strange and interesting gear. He reminded Michael of one of those comic-book vigilantes he’d seen as a kid. This was only further enforced when he said that his name was Vigilant.

He would have guessed that the man was Skye’s partner, or perhaps an old friend from another organization, but was taken aback when she announced the man as her brother. How these two could possibly be related was a quirk of nature the doctor figured he would never understand, unless of course they were related by marriage or some other way. Her childlike and seemingly simple exuberance was completely at odds with Vigilant’s calm demeanor.

What was more, the man was clearly not associated with the Precinct, and must have been a last minute addition. They were desperate, and the doctor now understood why. Still, it seemed a little irresponsible of the higher ups to include a man who had no experience with interdimensional protocol, and was untried in the field. Skye had said he was a doctor, of what was unclear, but a doctor still. That would raise the group count to 50%. If anything, the group would be able to debate the phenomenon from a variety of disciplines before dying horribly.

As the group began to make their way towards the exit portal (ooc: which I assume is what we are all doing by this point?), Michael fell into stride with Vigilant. He pulled out a notepad from his bag, along with a pen.

“Mr. Vigilant? I’m Doctor Holden. I just wanted to ask you a few quick questions, so that I don’t kill you in the event of needing to help. I don’t actually have any records on you, for obvious reasons, so I wanted to make sure that you have no allergies or medical conditions I need to be aware of, or if you are taking any medication. Also, do you have the same abilities as your sister, of any abilities at all for that matter,” He said quietly enough to make the convesation private.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Hanging back, Vigilant lets himself fall into the back of the group as they head through the staging area to the portal, though being sure never to stray too far from Skye. He hardly makes a sound as he walks across the floor behind the rest, his guard raised and body tensed as they head out into the crowd. Though he looked just short of relaxed during the briefing, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that he doesn't much care for the environment he finds himself in; body language aside, however, he keeps any such feelings (and comments of any sort, for that matter) to himself. While he might not the bundle of energy that Skye is, it doesn't seem to be for lack of it; even through his suit, it's plain to see from his bearing that he simply keeps it wound up, saving it for when it becomes most necessary.

When Michael speaks up, Vigilant gives him a short glance, pausing thoughtfully as if considering whether or not to answer his question. When he does speak up, it's in a similarly low voice, with something of a dismissive tone - apparently he's decided there's no need to keep this information concealed. "No mister, just 'Vigilant'." He shakes his head. "No medical conditions, and I'm allergic to sulfas. No powers either, just run-of-the-mill human inside. Don't worry about me, though. I'm used to working without a net, I know what I'm doing. If I need you, I'll come to you."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:33 pm

A sweaty, overworked-looking man with short black hair and a goatee wearing a black t-shirt and cargo shorts saw the group and hurried over to them. "You're Chon-Marshak's team, right?" He didn't wait for an answer. "Good. Good. Follow me." He steered them toward one of the large high-energy gate portals, talking in a loud, clear voice as he did.

"Your antimatter charges and your beacon are already on the other side. There are two cases of six charges: One case is for the portal you'll be coming through, the other one is for the other portal on the world. We would have another team go through that other portal from here, but...well, technical difficulties...not important. Our information indicates that two hundred miles of ocean apparently isn't hard to do on this world, something about fish. Both cases contain detailed gate portal destruction info, which must be followed in order." He handed Rick and Kestrel each a handheld device. "Standard locators. Tell you and us where you are and where you need to be. Keep them on you, keep them powered on. Stay out of Faraday cages if possible. Now...we don't have time to certify any of you for antimatter handling, so I'll give you the quick list of what not to do with these antimatter cases while there's charges inside." He pulled out a piece of paper on which is a long, typed list.

"This is the really important one: Do not remove the charges unless you're at the portal. Do not use cases as blunt weapons or to break locks. Do not teleport them. Do not shrink them, do not grow them. Do not duplicate them. Do not give them an instantaneous velocity of one quarter the speed of sound or higher, that's about 80 meters per second or about 190 miles per hour. Do not draw power out of the batteries, they are finely calibrated. Do not make them subject to manipulated gravity, the inner workings of the charges are doing enough with gravity already. Do not put them in a magnetic field of 30,000 gauss or higher. Do not send them to pocket dimensions. Do not under any circumstances have them with you when you activate your beacon, the only safe way to send them from world to world is to bubble a gate like they're doing over there." He jerked a thumb in the direction of the techies sending the cases through the portals. "Do not attempt to become antimatter yourself - that's good advice no matter where you are. Do not phase your body or anything else through the case. Do not attempt to communicate with the charges. Do not create new matter within the case or charges, do not teleport anything into the case or charges. Do not telekinetically lift a charge individually, lift the whole case. Do not expose the charges or the case to heat above 3000 Kelvin or below 70 Kelvin, do not store it in heat above 1000 Kelvin. Are there any questions?"
Last edited by Spleen on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Rick was very wary of Vigilant. He didn't know him, and didn't know anything about him, and that worried him. He wasn't even sure he was actually Skye's brother. From what he'd heard of Skye's... condition he couldn't very well trust just Skye's word. Still, there wasn't any way for him to get any information on the man without stalling the team or putting the mission at jeopardy. He decided to just leave it alone, but he always kept tabs on exactly where Vigilant was and what he was doing.

Rick listened to the long list of things not to do with the charges intently, committing as many of them to memory as he could and trying very hard not to laugh. He always had to remind himself that these sorts of precautions were necessary. Especially since Rick was going to stick it in his coat. Oops. When the technician finished and asked if there were questions, Rick pulled his hand out of the pocket of his trench coat and slowly raised it.

"So, we can carry them?"

ElComodoro

Unread postby ElComodoro » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:54 pm

Vigilant’s dismissive tone didn’t bother Michael much. Instead of responding, Michael simply nodded, putting away the pad and pen without writing a thing. He was used to working with agents who thought they could take on anything, and truthfully very often could. He honestly hoped that Vigilant’s opinion of himself was accurate. It meant that, should things become dangerous, he had one less person to worry about. He only hoped that the man was capable of working with a team, because no matter how effective he was, at one point or another, he would need to count on them as much as they would need to count on him.

The technician approached them, and Michael tried to keep up with all the rules, but quickly gave up. He had no experience working with explosives of any kind, and figured he wouldn’t be called upon to operate these. The man had mentioned fish as a means of transport though. Michael suddenly wished he knew more about the world they were going to. Too late now. Michael looked around at the room, watching people scurry about. Technical difficulties didn’t sound good, and he had the sinking feeling that those same difficulties would wind up working against them soon. Finally, the man finished with his directions. Rick’s question forced the doctor to cover a laugh with a cough.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:00 pm

Skye was miraculously quiet as the instructions were doled out. In fact, she hadn't said a word since introducing her brother. She just continued staring at the ground, but also not staring at it- More staring through it. To the casual observer, it would appear that she was lost in thought. But to those who know how her brain had been working since her...Falling out with reality, who knew how much thought was truly there to be lost in?

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Dr Brearley listened attentively at the instructions, a worried crease appearing on her brow as he ticked off more and more ways to handle the things. Half of what he said made very little sense to her, but she got the jist of it. Treat them as if they were explosives powerful enough to kill you if you messed up.

She looked at Rick after he asked whether they were actually allowed to carry the things and gave a little smile. She guessed that his coat was one of these 'pocket dimensions' the man had mentioned (hadn't Rick said something about that?), and although it certainly defied the laws of physics in too many ways for her to list, she guessed one of these rulebreaking things would be the removal of weight.

"I can carry them." she said with a tone of confidence, looking at the others, "it shouldn't be a problem."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:26 am

The technician gave Rick a blank look. "Yes. Carry them."

He motioned to another technician, who started to hurriedly input data into a computer. "We're opening your portal now. Best of luck to you." He stepped away as the large portal opened, springing to glowing blue life.

"I'll go through first; I'm expendable," Ben said. "Err, this body is, anyway." He strode confidently through the portal without another word, passing through the blue.

Another Ben who had been working hurried over and spoke to them. "The coast is clear, no one's in sight on the other side, and I've...he's...got the charges."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:55 am

Nodding, Vigilant grabs a capsule off his bandolier, pulling his gun out from his holster and slapping the capsule into the back. "If you say so." Holding his weapon ready against his chest, he steps through, scoping out the environs once he reaches the far side.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:13 am

Rick laughed at the look on the engineer's face, then stuffed his hand back in his pocket. "Alright, well, if you don't mind, Addy, would you mind grabbing the thing on the other side?"

Rick began cycling up his power, then took a deep breath in and stepped through the portal. Vertigo attacked him from the inside and he fought to hold whatever his last meal was in his stomach. It was a ham sandwich. Rick's right foot felt like it would never hit anything, then suddenly landed on firm ground. Rick stepped out of the event horizon and onto the foreign world, immediately unleashing his power to take a quick survey of the area around them. Rick opened his mind's eye a few hundred feet up in the air and took a quick sweep around, looking for any signs of people or civilization. Meanwhile, he put his hand inside his coat, holding his hand on his baseball bat in his coat's large inner pocket.

ElComodoro

Unread postby ElComodoro » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:28 pm

The portal opened in front of them, a pool of blue light. It was deceptive, that light, calm and soothing, but Michael knew that it could hide all manner of hostile or inhospitable worlds. Then again, there were just as many beautiful and miraculous worlds waiting on the other side. He wondered which this would be.

He watched as first Ben, then Vigilant, then Rick stepped through, the portal shimmering and warping with each entry. After Rick, Michael walked up to the gateway, nodded to the technician, took a deep breath and stepped forward. He emerged onto the new world, dizzy and disoriented, exhaled the Precinct’s air and inhaled this world’s atmosphere. He maneuvered away from the gate and scanned the surroundings.

“So where do we begin?”

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:58 pm

Adannaya gave him a bright smile and nodded, but there was a hint of irritation in her voice when she spoke (although only barely), "Miss Brearley, if it's not too much..." she clearly did not appreciate the nickname given to her, although she chose to be fairly polite about it. She then hefted up her side of the package, lifting it with ease as a the whirrings of cogs and pistons in her arms became a little bit louder. She stepped through the portal together with Rick and, once landed, she immediately set it down, reaching for her goggles in her shoulderpack.

She fished them out, put them on and pressed the button that would activate the clamp-like pads that fastened the thing to her head (and gave her the mother of all headaches after a while... she really had to fix that) and began to push and twist knobs and buttons alike, the clicking of multiple lenses and gizmos flipping around inside of it loud for all to hear.

((She's basically spending some time to check for signs of life, using the infravision and distance-sense aspects of her goggles))

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 pm

As Vigilant goes through the portal, Skye follows through, still staring off into space. And possibly time.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:54 am

Kestrel prided herself on her detachment and stoicism, her ability to follow a command given without picking it apart or arguing unnecessarily.

Still. The string of "don't do this or we'll all die" became daunting and became worrying, but eventually became hilarious. Kestrel could see now why they couldn't just send her through with the thing, having her there and back before it went off. From the sound of it, even exposing it to a good stiff breeze might cause the thing to detonate. Hopefully no one would sneeze within a kilometer of the charges.

Rick was not the only one trying not to laugh as the technician gave instructions that amounted to, 'Don't do anything, please.'

Questions, though? No, she had none. It was just as well. Kestrel didn't think she could have kept from grinning if she'd had to concentrate on speaking as well as restraining herself.

Finally one of the James boy's clones gave the word that it was safe. Kestrel had to admit that she found the collection of hive-clones highly entertaining. She couldn't really put her finger on why. Perhaps it was the casual ease with which everyone accepted that this was a comfortable and reasonable way to live, since for Ben it certainly was. At any rate, her colleagues were an interesting collection of people.

She slipped through the gate to join them, following Vigilant and his sister.

That still seemed weird to her. She'd never met anyone whose preferred name was an adjective.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:00 pm

The first thing each traveler noticed as they got their bearings was the immediate difference in temperature and humidity - from dry and 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 degrees Celcius) to "just rained" humid and 55 (about 13 degrees Celcius). The small cavern the party found themselves in - hewn or natural, it was difficult to tell - was bathed in blue light by the still-open portal, with a few unhelpful red safety lights along the walls making the illumination in the area additionally bizarre. The portal was set against the wall, next to a console; both were hooked up to a large battery pack. Two cases of antimatter charges sat on the floor in the center of the room with the tunneling beacon (about the size and shape of a football, or a human head). Ben was sitting on one of the cases of charges.

Addanaya's search brought up nothing but worms in their vicinity. Rick's, however, zoomed up through rock to show him a panoramic view of a stark, rocky peninsula linked to a larger (and apparently more vegetated) landmass by a thin land bridge. The time seems to be the early evening. No signs of sentient life were evident on the peninsula, though he did see a few wild goats feeding on the tough shrubs growing into the rocks. His viewpoint didn't actually show any sort of cave entrance or any way to indicate how the group is supposed to make their escape, either, though this isn't surprising.

"So who's ready to blow up some equipment?" Ben asked, grinning. "No sentients nearby to hear the rumbling, I checked."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:34 pm

"Except the goats. Odd that I have to be worried about sentient goats..." Rick chuckled to himself. "We're on a peninsula, of sorts, with pretty much nothing for a few miles. Looks like after we do our fun dirty work here we'll have some walking ahead of us. Oh, and to help you all adjust your biological clocks, it's around early evening." Rick's eyes readjusted and focused as his mind's eye aligned with his actual eyesight. Rick then turned to look at the explosive cases and scratched his head. "I think someone a bit more qualified than I should handle this part." He then grinned a bit mischievously. "Then again, it would be fun to have a hand in setting off an anti-matter explosion."

Rick walked off a bit from the group, taking a good look at his surroundings. He appreciated his trench coat's environmental systems. The transitions to other worlds was almost made a lot softer by his coat's temperature control, though he could feel the humidity. He tugged on his fedora, readjusting it, then returned to the group.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Addy let out a sigh as she didn't detect any signs of life and pressed the button that decompressed her fasteners, letting it slide down and then fall in her waiting hands. She looked around at the caverns, wide eyed with wonder at the isolation of this place... and it was with some reluctance she turned to look at the explosives. She disliked breaking things (breaking them down was another thing, much easier to repair), and these portals were... beyond her... If she wasn't restrained by the Third Paragraph of the Law of Mechano-Engineering Right of Security she would love to pick them apart and see what made them work... Very well...

She leaned down and fished up a strap made of some elastic material, attaching each end of them to her goggles and then hung the heavy-looking contraption around her neck before crouching down to look at the explosives.

"Fascinating," she mumbled, poking and prodding carefully, "Although I'd hardly consider myself educated enough to know how to handle this machinery, unless mr. James wishes to do it, if you give me a minute or two I believe I can prepare this charge for detonation..."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:17 pm

Nodding absently to Dr. Brearley, Vigilant holsters his weapon. He turns his attention to his surroundings, switching his goggles to infrared with a quick blink pattern. "Antimatter's outside my field. Since the area's safe, I'll scout for an exit out of here. I'll be back when I find something." With a short step, he vanishes into the shadows, going out of sight before he begins to check around the cave complex on foot.

Using Hide in Plain Sight to slip off, and checking the area until he can find the way out of here, or until something major happens.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Ben gave Rick a blank look. "Goats?" he echoed. He looked thoughtful for a moment and then raised his eyebrows, grinning. "Goats! Didn't see them, I was too busy scouring our surroundings for hidden psychics to perform a scan for livestock brains. Hungry goats, but not sentient goats, so we don't have to worry. Scared of some goats, Spadey?

"Anyway, one of my bodies spent the last hour and a half learning how to kill a portal with antimatter charges, so I'll supervise." He crouched down and helped Addanaya open the case, then stopped and looked at her, peering at her under lowered eyebrows. "And it's Ben. Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben."

The charges inside were black spheres about five inches in diameter, with their featureless surfaces interrupted by a few small ports and tiny screens on each - very sophisticated pieces of electronics. They looked, to Addanaya's eye, fairly alien. Each button was clearly labeled with its function - "ARM", "DISARM", "TIMER SET", "PROXIMITY MODE", an up arrow, a down arrow, etc. Included in the case with the six charges was six very small identical keys, each designed to fit into the "LOCK/UNLOCK" slot on each charge.

Vigilant had about fifty feet of corridor to walk through before he came to a dead end that included what was quite obviously a secret door - a sturdy loop of thick rope was attached to part of the wall that was obviously built into grooves on the ground. It was probably a flawlessly-engineered illusion on the other side, he could figure, but on the side with the portal it looked fairly simple. By the look of it, an application of pulling force would be enough to open the way, though probably not an amount of force he could exert on his own - as well-designed as the door was, it was still a slab of stone.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:23 am

"You laugh at my mention of goats, but if you've ever met any of the snakes in Jungleworld you'd learn quick to be careful of the animals. They might just be smarter than you." Rick smirked, then continued to pace a little. His eyes looked unfocused again as his mind's eye once again raced off into the sky. He decided to follow that little land bridge and see where the nearest populated spot was.

ElComodoro

Unread postby ElComodoro » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:01 am

The doctor tried to stay out of everyone's way. He was way out of his element here, and he knew it. Instead, he looked around and found what appeared to be a soft outcropping of rock and sat down, letting everyone else go through the motions of setting up the charges and finding a way out. He was content to wait.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:01 pm

"Which jungle world?" Ben demanded to know. "There's an infinite number. Stop assuming other people have been to the same universes you have." He pointed an accusing finger at Rick. "That's why the Precinct doesn't officially name worlds, so people can't go 'Hey, it's covered in jungle, let's call it Jungleworld! And that non-proximate that's also covered in jungle, that can be Jungleworld 2!'"

Ben was right, of course; the Precinct avoided naming worlds (since most tended to call themselves "Earth" or something similarly unhelpful anyway). Many were identified by Precinct-affiliated personages that came from there - certainly, asking a gate portal to send one to "Chon-Marshak's World" or even "Rick Spade's World" or "Kestrel's World" would bring a quick response and a portal to the proper world. Type 1 worlds like Planet Zero or Benheim had names, and in times past Type 9 or 10 worlds gained them (Benheim was called simply the Singularity before Ben took it over), but besides that it was considered futile to name a world.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:15 pm

With a dry, humorless chuckle, Vigilant emerges without warning from the shadows behind Addanaya, shaking his head. Not elaborating, he instead gestures subtly towards the tunnel out. "The exit's blocked by a hidden door. Too heavy for me to open it alone, some of you'll need to help when we're ready to go." Heading near Skye, he crosses his arms and waits, leaning against the rock wall while watching the preparatory work on the antimatter charges. "How long until this is ready?"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:36 pm

Inspecting the displays, ports and buttons, Addy found herself somewhat reluctant to tamper with the machinery, but this Ben character seemed to know what he was doing... except for his obvious lack of social grace... and that went for nearly everyone here, it simply wasn't proper to just casually refer to people by their given names! Not at the moment, at least.

Although technologically centuries behind the level of the Precinct technicians, Adannaya had a remarkable aptitude when it came to technology, and when the buttons were as clearly labelled as this... honestly, who wouldn't grasp what did what? She didn't want to fiddle around though, these were explosives of calibre to render this gate irreparable, and experiences with far more sensitive explosives in her own world made her somewhat uneasy amongst this.

Then Vigilant appeared behind her, making the young scientist give almost a shriek of surprise, eyes wide as she reeled around, staring at the man. "Good grief!" She exclaimed with an aggravated tone, "really!"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:27 pm

His eyes elsewhere, he still heard the comment on Ben's part. "Oh, you know. The world. With the jungle. And the super-sentient snakes. Jungleworld. Everyone I talked to about it knew which one it was. 232-1.7-34:31, I think was the number. I'm surprised you don't know about Jungleworld. It's all the rage nowadays as a vacation spot." He chuckled a bit and continued his search. He then jumped a bit when Addanaya, sorry, Dr. Brearly snapped at Vigilant. He was a bit curious what had caused the fairly mild-mannered woman to cry out like that, but he figured he'd catch the gist once somebody else who'd seen the transaction made a comment on the situation. Still, he was a bit sad he missed it.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:39 am

Likewise out of her element here, Kestrel took a spot next to the team's medic, leaning on the wall. If she was needed, she would be there with the quickness of a very quick thing. But so far it didn't look like she was.

So she waited as patiently as she could, considering the banter between Ben--it would have to be Ben; he kept insisting it with everyone else--and Rick Spade to be just compensation for the boredom. Spade's cockiness was potentially going to become offputting eventually, but if Ben could be relied upon to keep him occupied and on his toes... Kestrel was content to watch.

This Vigilant, though. He hadn't merely zipped away quickly; Kestrel knew what that looked like. He had outright vanished, and then returned again. Perhaps not the finest idea when delicate calibrations and adjustments were occurring with the... the whatever, but definitely impressive. With a reserved--but appreciative--smile, Kestrel nodded a greeting to Vigilant when he returned.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Ben laughed at how startled Addanaya had become. "Man, that was just a guy coming up behind you. I don't wanna know what happens when something really messed up comes along." He seemed to consider this a moment.

"Well, okay. I guess I kinda do."

Ben closed his eyes and opened his mouth. With a gurgling moan that was quickly cut off, he ejected part of the way out of his mouth a glistening white sphere, which as it turned to regard Addanaya revealed itself as a large bloodshot eyeball. Ben's eyelids opened again to reveal an empty space that seemed to throb with his pulse as a thin stream of blood trickled down his face from where each eye should have been. Ben seemed to moan silently, clutching his face, as the eye in his mouth started to roll around to look at each member of the party in turn.

Michael, Skye:

Spoiler:
You're initially shocked, but after a moment you realize that what is going on cannot possibly be real. With this in mind, you see some inconsistencies in the image before you - something looks off about the way the shadows around the eye in Ben's mouth are falling, and after a point the streams of blood just stop. Ben is using his psychic powers to make everyone see this gruesome image.

Vigilant, Addanaya, Kestrel:

Spoiler:
You are convinced that Ben just did some freaky shapeshifting thing, or that he has the power to move his eyes around at will. It is probably horrifying.

Rick:

Spoiler:
Rick finds a single-family home about three miles away, with a small crop of what look like grapevines on the side of it and an old man fishing in front of it. From there, it looks like about another three miles to the nearest town: a squat, walled-off affair in white stucco. He's too busy searching for this to see what the hell just happened with Ben, though. (But when he does open his eyes, he sees what Vigilant, Addanaya, and Kestrel see.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Without missing a beat, Vigilant rolls to the side, coming up in a crouch and drawing his weapon, leveling it at the thing that was once Ben. He pulls the trigger, sending a blast of supercooled fluid straight at the creature's torso. Before even seeing the results, he ejects the capsule and reloads, readying for another shot.

Five-foot step to the side, and Blast (Cold) (+10 to hit) at the creature.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs