Hey, Molokidan

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Christian
Dead Stompy

Hey, Molokidan

Unread postby Christian » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 pm

What's the meaning of this?

http://www.onemanga.com/Detroit_Metal_City/8/credits/

>:C What have you grown up to become?

;D I love this comic by the by.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Hey Christian! Glad to see another DMC fan :D

I've been translating manga for a while now. Over 3 years, I think. Some other RPGWWers had a similar instance when I used to do Bleach. Eventually I just had to quit because I was getting busier, and the utter idiocy that reigns in the "scanlation world" was causing me to do much more supervision that I really wanted to as a translator...

But yeah, I've done a lot of translating since, lots of different projects, but DMC has been my favorite by far. Strangely enough, we picked up the comic way back when there was only one volume out, long before it ever became an anime or a movie, and no one really wanted to do it. I read it though, and basically begged my friend to do it, telling him how it hilarious it was, and eventually we started putting it out, and it had mild popularity, but now that there's an anime and a movie a lot more people are starting to read it, so I'm really happy about that :D We're currently working on volume 6, which features the appearance of Krauser I >:]

But yeah. I don't do that much translation anymore because I'm really busy with translating actual novels in real life, and other stuff, but I still do DMC and a few other series every now and then.

I ended up writing a lot more than I intended. We should turn this into a DMC discussion thread!

Have you read up to current?
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:37 am

Hey! :D

Yeah, I kinda just very recently slipped into liking DMC, up until about two weeks ago, I had NO idea what it was. I haven't read up to the current part of the manga though, I'm on chapter 23, but that's mostly because I'm reading while doing my homework or watching anime, which kinda slows it all down.

I have to say though that some of my favorite parts in the series are when Krauser II is visiting his folks and his brother's turned to Death Metal, as well as the redecoration of his apartment. Then again, there's very little with the series that I don't like, so those are just some golden moments... And who can forget the rape of Tokyo Tower?

I've actually started doing some translations as well, in order to improve my japanese. A couple of friends and I have been ordering manga from Japan every now and then, and I've got a pet-project with Lucky Star going. Still, with school and my somewhat limited japanese, things are going pretty slow.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Well you always have to start somewhere! I started translating too when I was much less skilled in the language than I am now, but it did so much for me, it's a great way to study and forward yourself, so keep going, at all costs. You might be interested in joining the community at mangahelpers.com , they're very friendly, and helpful to amateur translators so if you ever need to ask a question or anything or want some help you can find it there. And you can also find tons of RAW manga!

DMC really is amazing. Yeah, I love when Negishi goes back home and teaches his brother the art of farming, telling him how "metal" it is...hilarious. He goes back a few more times so keep reading, it's great >:]
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn