MMORPG Addicts

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

MMORPG Addicts

Unread postby Archmage » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:21 pm

FFXI is offering a new 14-day trial service in an attempt to get you hooked. You can download the client via FilePlanet and they'll email you your registration code. If anyone on my flist is interested in giving it a shot, I'm Hakaril on the Alexander server.

Unfortunately, the trial is currently US only, but that's expected to be corrected soonish.

If you've played FFXI before (say several years ago when it was released) you might be interested to know that several things have now changed, and some of these are recent changes, as in, within the past few months:

1) You don't need a "world pass" anymore to join a specific server. You can pick whichever server you want for each character you create.

2) The amount of XP you get from mobs has been increased. It used to be that even match (same level) enemies gave you 100 XP and it scaled up or down from there. An "easy prey" mob 2ish levels below you used to give a max of 50 XP--now they give around 75. It is now much easier to gain XP solo (for most jobs) and easier to level overall.

3) The new "level sync" system lets anybody party with anybody else by having a higher-level player temporarily decrease their level to a minimum of 10. Equipment is still usable based on your "real" level and its benefits scale down to match level-appropriate gear. It used to be that half the bitch of FFXI was finding parties because the gap between your highest and lowest member couldn't be more than 2-3 levels or XP would start sucking. Now everybody in just about every party synchs to the lowest or second-lowest party member's level to maximize XP.

4) Aside from the original spread of jobs, the most recent expansions have added Blue Mage, Corsair (pirate/gambler/gunner), Scholar, Dancer, and a versatile pet class called Puppetmaster.

Anybody who's interested in playing, let me know; I'd be more than happy to show you around, get you started with some money or gear, powerlevel you a bit, level sync to party with you in the newbie zones, whatever. One common complaint is that it's difficult to solo a lot of more or less mandatory quests (like the one you do to get your subjob), but FFXI's community is very heavy on the "pay it forward" mentality and it's usually easy to get people to help you with stuff, especially if you join a guild (Linkshell), and I would likewise be willing to help people with whatever. I can also answer questions about gameplay, environment, community, etc. if anybody has any.

Taiar

Unread postby Taiar » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:56 pm

Damn... I've been wanting to try FFXI for a long time now. But this couldn't have come at a worse time with exams and being busy and stuff...

Damn!

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm sure the trial offer will be around for a while. You can always just wait until exams are over. *laughs*

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:33 am

I don't know that it's going to do this for everyone, but I feel I should warn people anyway: It's took about an hour for the server to send me an e-mail with my registration code for the trial period, and patching the game is currently predicted to take about 8 hours. I can't guarantee that everyone will have these problems, but I'd still suggest waiting until you have a good deal of spare time to try this.

edit: This is apparently not unusual. http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/game-setup-tweeking-optimizing-q/14295-patch-installation-time-2.html

*goes to bed*

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:35 am

Yeah, patching is definitely best done overnight when you're not going to be using your PC. On the plus side, you only have to do it once.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:39 am

So what you're essentially saying is "Psst. Hey kid. First one's free!"

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:47 am

So, there's some problem with this and Wine (if you don't run Linux, feel free to stop reading); There's about a half dozen very similar guides on how to get it running floating about the internet, including one on the WineHQ site, but none of them are for the latest releases of Wine, there's no guide telling you how to downgrade to a previous version of the program that the game allegedly works with, and while there's several patches for the program floating around that supposedly make it work as well, my experience with trying to patch and compile Wine tells me that it's like trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.

Honestly, I know it can be done? But fucked if anyone will tell you how to do it. Fucking Linux junkies apparently figure if they know how to do it, you should be able to figure it out too. Three sites about how to do it, and no one of them detailing a the full process on how to compile a program with THEIR program (GIT), Which is the whole point of their stupid motherfucking software.

I guess I won't be playing this, like, ever. Fucking hell.

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:36 pm

This help?

FFXI on Linux

They explain how to remove an existing Wine version and where to download a working version.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:56 pm

About to patch again. We'll find out tonight if it worked.

Edit: Well, it definitely works now. Once I learn the controls, it looks like it could be fun! Besyanteo on Alexander.

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:58 pm

Yeah, that's one of the problems with downloading things. FFXI's biggest drawback is that it's complicated and the game/manual explain things very poorly, so the game has kind of a steep learning curve. Once you get past that it's great. The first time I tried to fight a monster I remember getting pissed off at the "you cannot see your target" messages until I realized that I was too close and all I had to do was take two steps backwards to start hitting the mob again.

Here's a full list of controls. I've also abbreviated some common ones below.

1) You don't use the mouse for anything. The game is originally designed to be played on PS2, so everything is done some other way.

2) The default controls on the PC use the numpad keys to move. The numpad - opens your menu. I don't use this setting; I use the "compact" mode where you move with WASD because I'm on a laptop with no numpad.

The numpad + key lets you change through selected windows. If you're on compact mode the key is F for whatever reason.

3) Tab cycles through targets of various sorts. Enter talks to people or selects things. Escape backspaces or cancels.

Ctrl+I is Inventory
Ctrl+E is Equipment (gil is listed on this page)

Ctrl+W shows weapon skills
Ctrl+M shows magic
Ctrl+J shows job abilities

You can also use the menu system for any of these.

4) Chatting.

/s text -- say, nearby area chat
/t Name text -- sends a tell
/p text -- party chat
/s text -- shout, large area around you (nobody uses this except in towns)
/l text -- linkshell (guild) chat channel

/befriend Name -- adds person to your flist

/map -- opens the map for your current area

If you start typing a word and hit tab you'll notice that it tries to "auto-complete" the word with a list of options. If you use this and select a word or phrase the word or phrase will come up in {colored brackets}. This is the Auto-Translate function; people on Japanese, French, or German versions of the game will see the phrase in their language. Very handy for communicating with foreign players.

5) You'll have to learn to use macros at some point because they're better than casting spells or using abilities through the menus. You can set macros for Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+0 and Alt+1 through Alt+0 from the macro menu. Basic macros:

/ma "Spell Name" <t>
/ja "Job Ability" <t>
/ws "Weapon Skill" <t>

One useful macro to create is:

/target <bt>

That macro automatically retargets whatever the last monster you or your party was targeting before you stopped targeting it, though you should still make sure you have the right target before casting spells or using abilities.

<t> uses the ability on your current target.
<stpc> lets you select a player target by pressing F1-F6 before using the ability You don't lose your current target. Very good for Cure spells.
<stnpc> lets you cycle through enemies and NPCs by pressing tab before using the ability. Very good for spells you might want to cast on an enemy other than your main target, like Sleep.
<me> targets yourself.

Macros can be used to do some complicated stuff; you get six lines. For Red Mage, I have some macros that switch all of my equipment from a set of gear for casting black magic to a set for casting white magic.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:25 am

It'd be nice if they had this for Japan. I've always wanted to try the game out.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Archmage

Unread postby Archmage » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:49 am

Again, because you don't get a manual with the downloaded client and the in-game help is kind of sparse, Square-Enix put together a little set of helpful tutorial videos:

FFXI Beginner's guide.

It covers some of the basic stuff that isn't entirely obvious--which is kind of a lot, to be honest.

Of course, the short version of the beginner's guide is "talk to gate guard, get your nation's Signet, go outside and whack monsters, sell drops on the auction house."

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn