I HAS VOTED! HAS U?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Justice Augustus
Administrator

I HAS VOTED! HAS U?

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:40 pm

Seriously, though, waited for an hour and a quarter to get into the voting station. Then had to explain to the electoral person that yes, there was more than one person with my surname, and got my ridiculously HUGE ballot (about 3 feet in length) to fill out. And what did my country reward me with? What prize do I get for doing my patriotic duty?

I got a sticker.

Awesome.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:18 pm

I voted last week. When are the rest of all you states going to follow our lead and switch over to vote-by-mail, anyway? :D

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:22 pm

i don't live in a state, just a district. Strange, strange country.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:22 pm

My vote probably won't be counted! :D

I sent in my absentee ballot like a good college student, but they don't even open absentee ballots unless the margin is close enough that they could make a difference. Which would mean that New Jersey would have a chance to go Republican. Which it won't, because it's Jersey. Go Jersey.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Oh, hey, I just realized: Gus, you're a law student, so are you helping with the whole voter protection thing over there?

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:22 pm

Nope, a lot of people here are, but I didn't get into it, partly due to other commitments on the preceding days.

I'm getting reports of what's going on, for instance see this, this, this, this, and , most amazingly of all, this fake flyer that was distributed in Virginia.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:22 pm

I've actually been wondering what this voter protection thing is all about. A law professor mentioned to me last week that she was doing... well, whatever it is these voter protection officials are doing. She didn't seem to be 100% clear on the matter either, which... I'm not sure what to think about that.

Also, I was unprepared for the amount of local stuff on the ballot. I researched the issues, but I only knew that about half the offices that were on the thing were up for reelection. Really dropped the ball there.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:29 pm

BrainWalker wrote:I've actually been wondering what this voter protection thing is all about. A law professor mentioned to me last week that she was doing... well, whatever it is these voter protection officials are doing. She didn't seem to be 100% clear on the matter either, which... I'm not sure what to think about that.

Basically, it's a nationwide pro bono legal service that lawyers, law professors, and law students are participating in to help prevent disenfranchisement and other related issues, like the stuff Gus posted, as well as provide a recourse for people subjected to it to get legal support.

And yeah, Virginia seems to be the big target for this stuff this year, although it's happening all over. I saw a report of an email faked to appear to be from the Obama "find the closest polling station" service sent to people in Florida, claiming their last check was false and the actual polling place was somewhere miles away from where they live.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:27 pm

An easy example of what voter protectors do is going to state legislatures and courts to get an emergency proclamation on certain issues. One that came up this year was some polling stations were saying that if the poll closes at 7pm, then if you haven't finished your vote by 7pm you don't get to submit it, whereas the rule is that as long as you are in the line by 7pm, you get to vote. This way people who work late or have to travel far were being disenfranchised.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:23 pm

Idran1701 wrote:I voted last week. When are the rest of all you states going to follow our lead and switch over to vote-by-mail, anyway? :D

I was surprised to find out how limited early voting is in Maryland but much more surprised to find out it's a ballot measure this year.

Oh, I also got a sticker for voting today. It would get me free food & drinks at local restaurants today, but we only went to a store that was just giving away free large coca-colas (no caffeine after lunch, so I didn't get one).

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:30 pm

pd Rydia wrote:
Idran1701 wrote:I voted last week. When are the rest of all you states going to follow our lead and switch over to vote-by-mail, anyway? :D

I was surprised to find out how limited early voting is in Maryland but much more surprised to find out it's a ballot measure this year.

It's not just early voting in Oregon, actually, although that's about as good. About 10 years ago we switched over to a 100% vote-by-mail system. There are no polling places, instead all ballots are sent in by mail starting two weeks before an election, for all local, state, and federal elections.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:12 pm

I got my free Ben & Jerry's, and then my free Starbucks. Then I remembered I hate Starbucks so I gave it to a homeless guy.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:10 am

Justice Augustus wrote:I got my free Ben & Jerry's, and then my free Starbucks. Then I remembered I hate Starbucks so I gave it to a homeless guy.

I woulda been all over that ice cream if I had any idea where the nearest Ben & Jerry's is to our place. I only know the Coldstones (delicious!)

So did you folks--Idran excluded--have your polling places so conveniently located? Ours was within walking distance, maybe half a mile away. I think there's even sidewalks all the way from here to there! Crazy!

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:24 am

I did, yeah. For me it was at a little elementary school that's close by. Also, since I waited until something like 2 in the afternoon to vote, it still took me longer to get there than it did to vote.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:51 pm

Mine was about 3 blocks away, in a church. Took no time at all to get there, but (as I said) I got caught in the pre-work rush.

The "I voted" sticker is now adorning my laptop.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:27 pm

I voted. And my polling place actually was in walking distance, though it would have been a bit of a long walk.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Justice Augustus wrote:Mine was about 3 blocks away, in a church. Took no time at all to get there, but (as I said) I got caught in the pre-work rush.

The "I voted" sticker is now adorning my laptop.

Mine's on a stuffed bear in the kitchen. I haven't figured out a better place to put it.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:42 pm

For what it's worth I voted, but the president was decided before polls even closed up here, and it's not like our tiny amount of electoral votes counts for much anyways. :V

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:28 pm

FlamingDeth wrote:For what it's worth I voted, but the president was decided before polls even closed up here, and it's not like our tiny amount of electoral votes counts for much anyways. :V

Hey, you still had a senatorial race that was pretty major, if nothing else.

What in the world is going on there, anyway? How is Stevens winning at all? I mean, he's literally a convicted felon now.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:18 am

Drat, I knew I forgot to do something.

No, wait - I don't vote till Saturday. In a completely different election, too. Not that it's not important, mind you. I mean, who wouldn't thrill at the epic showdown between John Key and Helen Clark? Granted, the electoral system means we won't actually know who wins until weeks after the event when all the horse-trading with potential coalition partners is done, but it's still dramatic.

No, really.

Okay, yeah, I wasn't really buying it either.

Anyway, kudos on electing Obama, a sentiment which I'm sure is echoed by a good chunk of the world.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:13 am

Here here.

Seriously, Americans, good job. I'm proud of you and your nation for the first time in at least eight years. You've put a wise man in office and done something your children can be proud of. Good work... now don't screw it up. :)

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:19 am

One day Dave is going to snap and murder Charles~<3

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:38 am

Only Dave?

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:13 am

Idran1701 wrote:
FlamingDeth wrote:For what it's worth I voted, but the president was decided before polls even closed up here, and it's not like our tiny amount of electoral votes counts for much anyways. :V

Hey, you still had a senatorial race that was pretty major, if nothing else.

What in the world is going on there, anyway? How is Stevens winning at all? I mean, he's literally a convicted felon now.

Because there's a lot of stubborn people who don't want to give up his massive senatorial seniority.

edit: The real question is how did Don Young get reelected? I mean, he's likely going to be convicted on the same charges as Stevens shortly, and he's just in the House, where we've got no pull regardless of seniority.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:24 pm

KingOfDoma wrote:Seriously, Americans, good job. I'm proud of you and your nation for the first time in at least eight years. You've put a wise man in office and done something your children can be proud of. Good work... now don't screw it up. :)

Hay guyz, what's a democratic republic? Political scare tactics? Misinformation? Voter suppression and disenfranchisement?

Ah, nevermind, I'm sure it's nothing.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:32 pm

Kelne wrote:Drat, I knew I forgot to do something.

No, wait - I don't vote till Saturday. In a completely different election, too. Not that it's not important, mind you. I mean, who wouldn't thrill at the epic showdown between John Key and Helen Clark? Granted, the electoral system means we won't actually know who wins until weeks after the event when all the horse-trading with potential coalition partners is done, but it's still dramatic.

No, really.

Okay, yeah, I wasn't really buying it either.

Ugh, you even use IRV in New Zealand, don't you? Out of all the alternative systems, one that's actually worse than plurality.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:33 pm

Actually, no, we use MMP, which we stole from the Germans. It actually works pretty well, I think, except when you get that one party holding the balance of power. Definitely room for improvement, but it's certainly a great leap forward over the previous FPP system. Which makes the promised referendum on whether we keep it as is or chuck it out entirely a very frightening thing.

But yeah, not really epic levels of drama in the election itself, unless you count the perpetual cloud swirling around one of the minor party leaders. One can only hope that we manage to vote him out this time around. Come to think of it, most of the minor parties have indicated their preferences in terms of coalition partners, so we may well know the result on the night (if not all the details of portfolios, concessions and baubles of office).

Return to Discussion Forum