The Planewalkers' Other Journies

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:02 pm

"Er, perhaps its best if you stay wherever you are..." Trivale started. This was important. VERY important, and he probably should tell the others about it. Or at least what he could remember.

"Look, before we left I heard some vague rumors about how there may be a wandering Power of some sort around here. Likes gnolls. Tends to turn you into something horrible if you get too close."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:52 am

Pandemonium

"Ah, you seem to be confused. I am not Gorellik, as you can tell by the fact that you still have your throats. No, I am simply a passing traveler that seems to have had a case of bad timing himself. Not that your terror isn't entirely warranted, but I would consider myself far more reasonable than that resentful idiot of a god."

The speaker lets out a rolling laugh before continuing. "But if you wish me to keep my distance, I can agree to that. I know the illusion of safety can be quite important to your kind, letting you fool yourselves into thinking you are not a hairsbreadth from death at any moment. If nothing else, you can be assured that for now, it won't come from me. We can keep things cordial for now, yes?"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:32 am

Alvar seemed to relax a little bit at the words from Trivale, but his hand remained where it was. Even if the body-less voice reassured them it wouldn't hurt them, he wasn't going to believe that until they were all safe and sound on their way away from this place.

"Then, if you are not Gorellik, you would provide us with information we can use to avoid his notice?" He chewed his lower lip slowly as he thought, "What would the prize be for such information? Or perhaps you are merely here to inform us of his presence and watch as we scurry like rats caught in the larder?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:54 pm

Zant kept his thoughts to himself, deciding that Trivale was the best suited to handle whoever it was they were conversing with. The man clearly knew something the rest of the group did not, and that was enough of an excuse for the gensai to fade in the background, eyes occasionally probing the unnatural gloom for imagined threats.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:26 am

(Okay, this thread has NOT been showing me that there are new posts since we paused. Sorry, guys.)

As the conversation continued, the surprised Theller became more and more sure that the light crossbow he was pointing where he thought their visitor was would do absolutely no good, and so he unreadied it and back on his belt it went. He picked up the other crossbow, the heavier of his two bows, cranked the winch to ready it, added a bolt, and lowered it non-threateningly. He looked around at his allies to gauge their reactions to this new turn of events and decided that no one seemed to be panicking.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Pandemonium

"As I said, I've been struck with poor timing myself, and I would rather not test myself against a power, dying or not. And our travels seem to be bringing us in a similar direction. Simply put, I would like to propose a temporary alliance of convenience. So long as our paths take us together, we keep each other company. And while we travel together, I would certainly be willing to contribute my peerless skills in keeping you hidden from his predations.

"Now, as I am traveling this way regardless, I would hope you would agree to this supremely fair arrangement. Otherwise I might just see you as obstacles in my path, and I would be forced find my way around you. Or through. Do we have an arrangement?"

I just realized I never gave XP for the hyena. 200 apiece to each character.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:56 pm

Theller looked around and judged he had at least enough diplomatic sense to speak. "I don't think I'm prepared to make any sort of deal with a being who won't go where I can see him or give us the simple courtesy of introducing himself. My name is Theller, of Homespire in the Plane of Air. You are...?"
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:27 am

"I am Alvar Feldtspar," Alvar said with a curt nod, easing up a bit. He decided to follow the example of Theller. He was still wary of the bodyless voice, but he wasn't closed off to the agreement it offered.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Pandemonium

"Hmph. Theller, you say? I hardly think you can hold that against me, as it was your fiendspawn of an ally that requested I keep my distance in the first place. But I suppose introductions are in order, yes. I am Morthrexa, once-lord of the Mountain of Woe, and now merely a traveler. A wandering sage and seeker of knowledge, one could call me. Exploring the planes, and learning what I can from that which I see.

"Now, if you would rather not respect your friend's fear, I can enter your light and show myself. Truly, I have no real preference either way."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:18 am

Theller nodded. "Morthrexa, then." Lord of the Mountain of Woe? he thought. Not a job title I believe I want to rally around.

Theller walked over to Trivale and spoke quietly to him. He knew Morthrexa could still hear him, but to ask this at full volume would be impolite. "What is the danger here? You don't deny him that he should be our ally, but you insist that he stay out of the range of our sight. Is his very appearance dangerous?"

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:48 pm

"That's the implication" says Trivale plainly. "The power is said to dislike non-Gnolls being anywhere nearby, and its suggested that it involves being too close to the power. I don't know how Gorillek might do it or... anything, really that might suggest a defense."

"That," he says more quietly. "And... natural caution, I guess."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:16 pm

Pandemonium

He laughs once more, speaking up again, and Trivale can almost feel the being's gaze focus on him. "You still believe I am Gorellik, even after my assurances? Such a lack of trust is hardly a good first impression to present, especially to someone offering to help protect you. Should I assume you speak for your entire group, then? Are you dismissing my offer entirely on their behalf? I must admit, I'm surprised they would have one of your kind as their leader. I suppose they're simply good enough to ignore the reputation for treachery and betrayal, the tendency to look out for your own interests with barely a thought to others. Quite progressive of them to follow your word.

"I should warn you, though. He may be less powerful than he once was, but Gorellik is still a god. And I doubt the true Gorellik will be so willing to listen to your requests to keep his distance. As you have probably gathered by now, I am a fiend myself, yes. But what's the mortal phrase...'the lesser of two evils'? And for what it's worth, I can guarantee you that so long as we travel together, I won't strike against a one of you."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:58 pm

Theller considered that. "And when our paths diverge, you will continue on your way without a violent thought toward us?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:27 pm

Pandemonium

"Certainly, yes. And I won't even offer offense at the implication," he says, with a tinge of amusement to his voice.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:03 pm

Theller shrugged, nonplussed. "It was you who first brought up the fear that we might be ambushed by you. You promised us protection from it during travels together; I decided I would feel safer if also promised protection from it afterwards."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:22 pm

Alvar had remained silent during the conversation with the fiend. He was torn as to what to think. A part of him, a large part, was aghast with the prospect of them working together with a fiend. The mere thought sent shrills down his guts... but another side truly had no wish to deal with a god should they stumble upon one. Better then, he thought as his hand went away from the sheath of his blade, to sneak in, retrieve the water and then head out with this Gorellik none the wiser.

He said nothing, however, as he had no íntention of showing distrust or lack of harmony in the group, any small thing a fiend would exploit to it's own ends. Of this, he had no doubt.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Pandemonium

"Well, I hope I have offered enough to help you feel secure, Theller. And as none seem to be offering further objections, I suppose I should consider our agreement made, eh?" After a short pause, the speaker steps forward into the torchlight, giving the party their first glimpse of him. A hulking creature that seems to take the worst aspects of ape and boar, he towers at least 20 feet tall, and stands at least 6 feet wide. His entire body but for his chest, hands, tail, and head is covered with a coarse black fur, although surprisingly well-groomed. Two black-feathered wings extend from his shoulder-blades, seeming much smaller for his frame than they should be. Two great tusks jut from either side of his massive maw, with two smaller horns below. From his fingertips grow thick claws, sharp and pointed, and below his exposed skin pulses a sickly-yellow fluid, flowing through what might be veins and arteries, or at least this creature's closest equivalent.

Morthrexa gives a tooth-filled grin towards the four, arms crossed. "Shall we continue our conversation as we walk? I am still curious just why the lot of you would come to a place such as this, such fragile things as you are."

Here's a picture reference for you all.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:14 pm

What little colour there was left in Zant's face drained away when Morthrexa stepped into the light. He'd seen terrors on his home plane, but somehow this being was worse than anything he's seen before. He didn't even dare to mouth a prayer.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:09 pm

A silent mumble of nonsense passed the lips of Alvar as the thing came out from the shadows. By St. Cuthbert, what manner of fiend had they bargained with?

Without even realizing it, his hand had nearly drawn the blade from its sheath. He reluctantly lowered it again, sweat trickling down his forehead as he felt the claws of panic gripping at his heart.

He shifted slightly, eyes wide open as he tried to calm his breath; he felt his pulse slowly returning to the border of normal, but the mere sight... not to mention the smell, of the creature made his entire being shiver. Was the deal truly worth this, he wondered?

"We... we best be on our haste," he managed finally, clearing his throat before continuing, "the sooner we finish our task here, the better..."

He felt absolutely no inclination to explain to Morthrexa why they were here... let the fiend-blood deal with that.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:11 am

Theller was a believer in keeping oaths, and so even when he saw the grotesque and obviously powerful form of Morthrexa in the light, he still did not waver much on his decision to form a pact with the creature.

Not that I want to be affiliated with him for longer than is prudent, he told himself silently.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:49 pm

Pandemonium

The fiend frowns as he looks over Zant and Alvar, giving the harshest of his disapproval to the latter as the knight forces himself to keep his weapon at bay. "Hmph. I see my first impressions of you were wrong. You two are as quick to judge by appearance as any mortal. Well, if you are so unwilling to engage in basic conversation, so be it. I'm sure it would just take you too much effort to keep from shouting your slurs and obscenities against my kind."

Turning his gaze away from them, he faces Theller and Trivale. "Your companion is right about one thing, at least, we should start off once more. Do you think I could at least know where, exactly, your group is heading to? We may be traveling the same direction, but many things are down this route, and I would like to know which of them you seek."

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:33 pm

For an instant Trivale found himself shocked at seeing, really SEEING their new... he was still hard-pressed to even consider him a "companion"... traveller. A voice inside him suddenly darkened with barely contained anger. A monster. They were going to travel with a MONSTER.Just like me, huh? A regular pair of cards, we are. He shook his head somewhat at that thought, feeling something like a headache forming. After a second, it was gone, and he turned himself towards the task at-hand.

"We were hoping to find the outlet of the Styx." answered Trivale seemingly without missing a beat. "You going anywhere near that?" Regardless of everything else, their new traveller bore watching, and part of him was glad that now his companions would share in that responsibility.

Granted, part of him was also darkly amused at how quickly their opinions changed once the Morthrexa stepped into the light...

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:39 pm

Pandemonium

With a nostalgic smile, Morthrexa replies. "The Styx, you say? My path is indeed bringing me near the river. An intriguing choice of destination. I wonder why you would be going there...

"Ah, but no matter, I am sure I will learn that in time. Let's resume our walk, eh? And perhaps along the way, we can trade anecdotes as true traveling companions. I have a few amusing memories of the Styx, myself." With a low chuckle, he starts off alongside the group, though careful to ensure they aren't 'accidentally' falling behind.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:39 am

Zant felt vaguely ashamed with himself. While Morthrexa was by all rights a terrifying monstrosity of the lower planes he had also proven to be reasonably civil. He'd even provided them with a warning about what else lurked in the darkness and then, in his own way, offered to journey with them. While he couldn't really blame himself for his reaction his appearance, the gensai knew that it had been incredibly rude. As the fatigue and terror faded as they journeyed onwards he approached the towering figure.

"I must apologise for my earlier reaction. The journey thus far had frayed my nerves and you are an imposing figure. Regardless, you have been civil with us and I have failed to be so in return."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:52 pm

Pandemonium

Glancing to Zant as the now-five press onwards, he snorts. "You certainly have. But if you are saying you'll try to keep your bigotry under control in the future, then I suppose I can accept your apology.,

As they continue forwards, the tunnel begins to expand, the wind growing stronger as it grows wider. The whistling of the air seems to carry even more instability with it, but Morthrexa barely even notices its presence. They can't quite tell if the quiet chittering they can hear all about them is all in their heads or not, but either way, it seems to be keeping itself at bay. Speaking up once more, he directs his attention again to Zant.

"If you truly want to express your regret, though, how about you offer the first traveling anecdote? I'm certain this wouldn't be the first trip your group has made, and I'd like to know what sorts of ridiculous threats you've chosen to expose yourselves to in the past. I don't know about you all, but hearing mortals pretending to be otherwise always helps give me a bit of a chuckle."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:05 pm

Theller continued on with the others, his wings furled almost uncomfortably tight against his back so they couldn't be opened by the winds. He listened to Zant's apology and more of Morthrexa's arrogant remarks in silence, watching the exchange closely.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:43 pm

"This is our first expedition in the company of each other, though we are all associates of a much larger group. I myself have visited the Plane of Steam in the past weeks, as did several others. The most threatening thing we encountered was the war between the two groups of mephits that inhabit that plane. This complicated our passage a great deal, as we had set sail aboard a vessel crewed by no small number of steam mephits."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:06 am

Pandemonium

At the mention of the mephit war, Morthrexa chortles, staring into the darkness ahead. "They're still embroiled in that little scuffle of theirs? It's almost adorable in its pointlessness. I recall shipping a pair of mist mephits off to a colleague once some years ago, hoping merely to kick him off into a fit of paranoia. Not that I was aware, but he'd just got a steam mephit from a co-conspirator in some scheme or another. That was a sight I'm sorry I'd missed; for such a minor race, they're certainly tenacious.

"Ah, but I am rambling. You normally travel with others, you say? I see they haven't joined you here. I can't imagine they merely had the good sense to stay away, so why aren't they joining you on this trip?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:28 am

"I wished to see the Styx. It is a mystical and unique body of water, and I am of Ishtishia. We all share another reason for journeying here, but in this desire I am alone."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:48 am

Pandemonium

"Ah, you're a godly one? Well, I suppose your bigotry is more understandable, then. Our kind receives much hatred from them, mostly unwarranted of course. I'll not hold your reaction against you, then; indoctrination is hard for any to overcome, after all.

"Now then, you mentioned a larger organization as well? Would this, by chance, be the Guild of Planewalkers? I have had experience with some from that group in the past, and it certainly sounds similar to your means. Perhaps we have common connections there, eh?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:59 am

Zant did his best to keep his voice level. "My reaction was the result of my own prejudices. And yes, we are all of the Guild. What connection to it do you possess?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:23 am

Pandemonium

He glances back down to Zant with a nostalgic smile; a strange thing to see gracing his features, to be sure. "Oh, I've had a number of encounters with one of its members. I've known her and her family for years, ever since she could barely crawl. It's tragic, what happened to them. I've always been deeply saddened by the loss of such close friends. I lost track of her some months back, not long after the...incident. One meeting since then, and afterwards..." With a deep sadness, he turns away, shrugging. "I hope she's doing well for herself now, if nothing else."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:32 am

((Gah, I realized I forgot to make a post about my semi-awayness for this too. >_> Anyway, here I am, posting like a hurricane)

Alvar had taken to relax a bit as they had continued walking, feeling some measure of relief that, at least for the moment, they weren't going to have to fight that huge, lumbering fiend.

He listened casually to the exchange of words between Zant and Morthrexa, but as the fiend mentioned his acquaintance with the Guild he shuddered slightly, who in the name of St Cuthbert would be a friend of this thing?

"Your empathy for one of ours doesn't become you, fiend..."

Alvar groaned inwardly as he realized what he thought had been a casual comment came out like an insult...

"W...What I mean is, it's odd, to say the least, that you would know one of our fellowship... It's..." he paused, unsure how to continue.

"I... I apologize. It is... I am not used in dealing with fiends of the lower planes..."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:28 pm

Pandemonium

"Hmph. Well, if you plan to continue walking the planes, you had best get used to it quickly. These lands are not for the stammering and timid, and that piece of metal is far from enough to keep us at bay."

Looking over the group, he sighs sorrowfully. "And yes, our kind can express as much empathy as any. Perhaps one of your number could seek out Shawn for me when you return to the guild? Even just knowing how she is would do much to ease my sadness."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:35 pm

Concealing his surprise didn't even cross Zant's mind.

"Shawn? A small girl, somewhat boastful, in possession of some form of shapeshifting? She is known to me; in fact she was one of those who I traveled to Steam with."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:49 pm

Pandemonium

He pauses as Zant describes her, nodding thoughtfully after he finishes. A smile slowly stretches across his face. "Ah...yes, that is her exactly. Then she is obviously doing well, it seems.I'm glad to hear that. When next you see her, be sure to tell her I wish to see her again soon."

And so they walk on.

Go ahead and keep up the conversation if any of you want to continue it, but once everyone's ready, we can timeskip ahead.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Pandemonium

Pressing on once more, the party travels in relative silence. Morthrexa makes the occasional attempt to spawn conversation, asking about their exploits and offering his own on occasion; they get the feeling some have been extremely sanitized and scant on details, but they aren't entirely sure they'd wish more details from what little he mentions already.

Hours upon hours pass, and the specter of sleep begins creeping up on them once more. On top of that, from Morthrexa's words, the Styx is even further than they may have expected. Even after the length of their trip so far, there is still at least three days' walk deeper into the planes before they reach the river. Not needing to sleep himself, he generously offers to watch over the group while they have a chance to rest, but is this something they can safely accept?

Partial timeskip for now, since Spleen reminded me that I hadn't brought this up yet. Go ahead and make your decision, and I'll handle the rest of it however you all decide.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:16 pm

Alvar was, of course, tired. Worn to the bone by the constant howling winds and bleak landscape.

Over the passing time, he'd come to grudgingly accept the fact that, perhaps, Morthrexa was honest in his wish to simply accompany them. But at the offer of standing guard...

His tired eyes looked upon his travelling comrades questionably. No doubt they felt the same, but... And if they trusted him tonight, there'd still be nearly three more days of walking, just to get there.

"I..." This was an incredibly tough decision to make. Were the fiend to attack them, they'd have perhaps a fighting chance, slim though it may be. If he were to slit their throats in their sleep...

He folded his arms and a look of frustration passed over his face, truth be told a large part of him just wanted to agree with the offer, but could he really trust a fiend

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Theller didn't necessarily trust Morthrexa, but he reasoned that a twenty-foot monster - even without the fiendish powers he probably had on top of his obvious physical strength - could kill them just as easily with their weapons bared as in their sleep. Besides, Theller's sleep cycle was strained enough from following a diurnal schedule like most of the Guild that the additional missed sleep was likely to leave him collapsed on the ground.

"I believe I will take you up on that offer, Morthrexa," Theller said with a polite bow of his head. "I hope my other companions feel safe enough under your watch to do likewise."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:51 pm

Zant was pleased that someone else had taken the decision for him. He was still slightly ill at ease with Morthrexa, but his instinctive fear subsided greatly as they had talked. He inclined his head towards Theller to signify his agreement.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs