Who make the best pairs in Dissidia?

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Garland and Warrior of Light
9%
Firion and Emperor Palamecia
No votes
Onion Knight and Cloud of Darkness
No votes
Cecil and Golbez
36%
Butz and Exdeath
9%
Terra and Kefka
45%
Cloud and Sephiroth (vote on this and your life shortens by 1 year)
No votes
Squall and Ultimecia
No votes
Zidane and Kuja (thank the Maker they didn't use Necron here)
No votes
Tidus and Jecht
No votes

Total votes : 11

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:08 am

So, here we go.

Remember, just because a game has a good main character, it's nothing if the villain isn't up to scratch.

Although I love Exdeath for nostalgic reasons, that pair is indeed pretty bland; Butz is generic and so is Exdeath... BUT, he's an evil tree. That's got to count for something.

Likewise, I'm fond of Squall, but Ultimecia felt pretty unfamiliar to me. She mostly worked behind the scenes and didn't get much REAL screentime.

Anyway, put your experiences to work here...

And I LOVE Garlands voice. It suits him perfectly.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:40 am

Garland & Fighter/generic Warrior of Light.

They're just got such visual balance, and look great on a can!

FF2, FF6, & FF9 are good pairs, as well.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Had to go with Cecil and Golbez. =( Finding out the guy who killed hundreds of people and tried to kill you is your brother? Harshness.

Close second for me was Terra and Kefka. I mean, Kefka is probably one of the few FF villians who actually DOES destroy the world (somewhat). And he's nuts to boot. Terra has to come to terms with what she is, and what needs to be done to save those she cares for.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm

Know what would have been awesome for the VII pairing?

Palmer vs Reeves

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:36 pm

If this were done on GameFAQs, there would really be no question as to who would win.

Anyway, I actually thought Zidane and Kuja were pretty interesting choices, if only because they don't fit quite as neatly into the "hero" and "villain" molds as most Final Fantasy characters. But I'm not sure the game's plot really kept up with that spirit of "being interesting."

I dunno, man. It's really hard to choose between FFs 4 and 6. I've never been more emotionally involved in a game than I was in those two. Every time I think of an argument for Terra and Kefka, I think of another for Cecil and Golbez.

I'm going to have to get back to you on that one.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:20 pm

I'll be hated forever and ever for this, but FFIV never really got to me like the other games did.

I first played VII, like many others, and it's still my favorite game. I'm utterly biased.

Then, after that, I kinda jumped between games; six, five, one, two and three. Then four.

So I guess... I dunno... *shrugs* For me, Four was never much of a big deal. I'm of the horrible PSX generation, and we never got four and six here in Europe, so...

ANYWAY, yeah. :p

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:59 pm

I hate you forever.

No, but seriously...

It's not that 7 was a bad game, it's just that Emochu and Mama's Boy don't make for the most compelling protagonist and antagonist when lined up with the rest of the series. They're both ultimately pretty simple characters, even though the "plot" of 7 was anything but simple.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:03 pm

Nah, I can understand that.

I think a lot of FF4's impact for the older gamers, was how much more they could do on the SNES than the NES. And things they were trying for the first time, like the better music capabilities and such.

When you've played games that built up from that, going back is going to make them seem cliched or old, no way around it. =/

Yet somehow, Super Mario Bros. remains a classic... damn that plumber. e_e

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:22 pm

The pointing glove shall forever square off against the white rimmed blue menu.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

I'd normally vote for Onion Knight/Cloud of Darkness or Terra/Kefka, but... evil tree wizard. That's all that needs to be said, really.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:05 am

*shrugs* I always felt that Cloud was a very human protagonist. I'm not going to draw out my argument but remember the Life Stream. When I realized that Cloud simply wanted to be respected and depended on, and that this had led him to unconsciously alter his memory and personality, I felt a twing of sympathy for him. And that Sephiroth, who had been exactly what Cloud had been striving to be, turned into a neurotic asshole didn't make things any better. If a man like that can lose it all the way he did, what does that say about me? A lowly pawn, incabale even of becoming a SOLDIER...

Bah, it's nostalgia. :p

To be honest though, I'd go for Frog vs Magus any day. Now that game, that was a groundbreaker for me. First RPG.

But I guess it boils down to the fact that I didn't get to enjoy Final Fantasy IV until it was too late. Just like with Alien I. That was the last of the movies I saw, which completely spoiled it.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:16 am

The Warrior Vs. Dracolord.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:45 am

Christian: A counterpoint for you.

I thought the big reveal in FFVII was really really pathetic. With all the buildup on what Cloud's big secret was, I expected him to be something more important to the Planet overall. Then, it turns out he's just some loser who couldn't handle a little mental stress. My response was not, "I feel ya, buddy" but "Grow a pair, ya lady. Yeesh!" I'd have been more impressed with his story if he had a) found the strength to carry on despite the troubles he encountered and b) been anything less than interchangeable to the Planet's fate in general, but that might be just me.

... and none of these pairings compel me. FFs are ensemble affairs, why focus on one pairing? That being said, the one with the most drama would probably be Cloud vs. Sephy, if only because they seem to be the most "omg uberpowered" among the bunch...

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:09 pm

I liked FF7 and all, but I didn't learn the big reveal of FF7 until recently, when the internet made (some) sense of the convoluted plot and vague translation of the game.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:55 pm

Chuck...

*shrugs*

Sorry mate, I can't argue with that opinion.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn