Warhammer Online

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

Christian
Dead Stompy

Warhammer Online

Unread postby Christian » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:10 pm

Alright, who's playing it?

Despite the fact that I've just frozen my account on an indefinite time-span in order to have time for my studies, I can't put down WAR until my 30 day free trial is done and over with.

So, I'm wondering, anyone else in Europe playing?

I'm playing on the same server as a couple of friend, 'though only two of us are Destruction, the remaining three being fairly high-level Order.

Meh, was gonna write more but my brain feels like jelly, so I'll leave it here.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:00 pm

Karak-Azgal, Destruction side with alot of old friends from WoW. Give Redtoof a /tell if you're on.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:36 pm

Azgal?

Dude... That's the server I'm on!!

Awesome! :D

I'm gonna be playing tonight from 'bout 9 PM GMT; I'm a lvl 11 Chaos Chosen named Adelbert. :p I'm playing with a friend who's a Marauder named Adelbrecht. We have the same beard.

Anyways, I'll befriend you when I log in again. :D

--EDIT: Well, I'm 13 now. :)

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:27 pm

Fantastic :D

I've been distracted with Clear Sky and non-computer things for a few days now. Redtoof is sitting pretty at rank 27, but I've got a Magus named Haedra at rank 11.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 am

I've got about a billion characters on the Order side on Ulthuan, but it's a US server so I guess that doesn't count.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:43 pm

It sure doesn't! Get out of here, looser.

(How's Order doing on your server? On mine they seem to be fewer in number but more organised/guilded. And power-leveling and romping around tier 4 unopposed.)

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:27 pm

Yeah, I agree with ya Jak.

Order seems a tad bit more organized than your average group of Destruction.

Even though they even out levels (I think) when you throw yourself into RvR Scenarios, I still cringe when I see those lvl 1-3 DPSers running around... -_- Well, I'm in the next bracket now anyway, so I'm doing quests and PQs until I get to late 10s.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Just wait till you get to T3. You'll love Tor Anroc. It's all that's ever played. They've managed to fix it (somewhat), but it's still tragic that none of the other 5 tier 3 scenarios see any use.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Just finished playing all three of the Tier 2 Scenarios a bit.

I'm a bit doubtful about the reward system. Either I'm kicking ass, in bold, or I get a big reward for being on the lower scale of the Level chart.

:/

Seriously though, it seems a lot of players have no idea what they're doing... I just spam my two basic attacks, throw in a couple of specials here and there, and make use of two auras (Toughness and the one that gives mages damage when they cast) and I can pretty quickly pop some crazy xp / inf. points. :/

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:36 pm

Jak Snide wrote:It sure doesn't! Get out of here, looser.

(How's Order doing on your server? On mine they seem to be fewer in number but more organised/guilded. And power-leveling and romping around tier 4 unopposed.)

Right now they're giving Order an XP/renown bonus because of the population imbalance. The people that *are* playing Order are all Bright Wizards which makes scenario PvP nearly impossible, especially when they whine about heals because they're blowing themselves up.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Right now, I've got multiple characters between 6-18 on Phoenix Throne on the Destruction side.

I may need to make an alt to harass... I mean say hi to everyone. =O

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:07 pm

FlamingDeth wrote:Right now they're giving Order an XP/renown bonus because of the population imbalance. The people that *are* playing Order are all Bright Wizards which makes scenario PvP nearly impossible, especially when they whine about heals because they're blowing themselves up.

The Bright Wizard problem is everywhere. When I was playing Nordenwatch on my Magus I often faced 6 or 7 Bright Mages on the enemy team. With 10 a side. Thankfully nobody was 1)healing them and 2)getting them to focus fire on one target at a time.

A pack of guilded Bright Wizards with healers, however, are a completely different story. Especially with their ability to spam roots and my ability to break only one of them every 60 seconds. But hey, at least if they're nuking me they're NOT nuking a non-tank.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:50 am

Well, a bright wizard with no tanks running interference doesn't last long, which means that the entire Order team doesn't last long. They're also all ranged, which means they back up whenever anyone from Destruction approaches, which means they never actually fight on the objective. It's really quite irritating.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:17 am

Whose idea was it to only have Renown Merchants in captured forts?

Order controlled every single one last night. :/

And they still do! This isn't right. I'm forming a warband now!

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:27 am

That is the appropriate response to the situation! Really though, that and the renown trainers are there to give you motivation to hit the keeps.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:19 am

I hate this game.

I'm level 14, a level where there's a bunch of new renown gear available.

Only problem is, Order holds every keep.

So I get a 10 man group together, which takes everything from coercing to outright bribery to get them into the mood.

We finally manage to break down the doors and five lvl 20 bright mages come in and start to systematically kill our healers.

We get them and then proceed to the upper floor.

We fight and tank ALL the mobs, things are going ok. Then more order.

Is this some kind of joke? Am I going to have to be cursed with the odd quest rewards simply because I can't get a 20-man lvl-20 warband together to storm the keep?

And it's not as if this information is easily available, I had to scour online forums to find out that, indeed, renown merchants from tier 2 and up are all only available if you have a keep.

It's a stupid, vicious circle where lvl 20's get easy influence by killing lower-levels (never mind the equalizing function which does nothing to fix the enormous difference in gear and abilities) who try desperatly to get a single keep in order to do anything with the influence points they've been fighting to get.

...frustrating.

Sorry for the rant

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:30 am

The Inevitable City has renown gear merchants and trainers.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:38 pm

It can be frustrating I suppose, but when it comes down to it, the game really isn't designed for small guilds. While individual pvp objectives are perfectly doable with small groups, in order to be successful in taking keeps and higher end scenarios, you need a larger, organized group.

EDIT: On Ulthuan I'm normally on my witch hunter, Marietta, my warrior priest, Cer, my other warrior priest Svafa, or my sword master, Lilivati.

Just made Voletta the zealot on this Phoenix Throne server! Must find FFF. D:

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:55 pm

No Jak, unfortunantly they don't. Not if you don't have any keeps... or if you're not in a guild.

There's supposed to be two renown merchants, but the pile where they're reported to be standing is empty, 'though I have seen them there before.

After calming down a bit, and thinking about it rationally, I suppose I've just got to have patience.

The whole thing boils down to me wanting the Rank 14 Renown Helmet. XD

Anyway, hating the game is an overstatement. I like it. It's quirky, iffy sometimes, but considering its short age I wasn't expecting anything else. I'll stick around a bit longer.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:04 pm

I guess I should stop taking the Viper's Pit for granted. :D

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Yeah, as FD noted, unless you're unless it would seem you're basicly fucked for anything more complicated than Chapter PQs.

And even those are a hassle sometimes. :/

...I'll probably keep a look out in the future, but if things don't change I might actually consider entering a guild D:

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:03 am

Well, hooray for Destruction.

Logged in two evenings ago and, lo and behold, a single keep had been taken by Destruction!

I rushed there, ran past fighting Order and Destruction players, up the stairs, talked with the Renown Gear merchants, groaned that the helmet was for rank 16 characters, and then logged out.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:32 am

I haven't played in almost two weeks now. Hate to say it, but I doubt I'll be subscribing.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:03 am

I can't help but agree with you Jak, I just don't feel like the game's ready now. Maybe I'll activate my account during the summer break and see what's changed...

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:18 pm

One of my roommates and I have actually been thinking about trying this out. We couldn't find a free trial of any description, though; does such a beast exist?
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:23 pm

I would be interested in similar. I thought to reward myself for working hard and doing well by getting myself a video game, but I am one of the unlucky 40% of Fallout 3 owners who cannot get it to work. Ho-hum.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:08 pm

I don't think there is quite yet, seeing as the game only just came out.

I myself let my account lapse; while I like the game, it's simply not worth playing when nobody else I know plays it.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:37 pm

Well, I haven't played in a LONG time now.

Reason? Twofolds; Primarily because school does NOT permit me the luxury of grinding (I still managed to cram in both Dead Space (excellent game) and Fallout 3 (even more excellent game), but I need to stop haunting the Capital Wasteland soon), but also because, frankly, I got bored.

The game has a very high potential to becoming a WoW... I wouldn't say WoW-killer, but a challenger. Problem is, at the time I stopped playing, it was still immensily bug-ridden and there really wasn't that much to do aside from PvPing, with its insane XP-rewards. Quests weren't really that interesting.

And as far as I know, there still isn't a free version out yet.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Not renewed, nor has anyone I know. I hit 27 and found myself waist deep in grind and buggy scenarios. Didn't help that Mount Gunbad was buggy as fuck, either.

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn