A character - still progressing

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Scara6
Wondering

A character - still progressing

Unread postby Scara6 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:34 am

Elorfin Stanesh

Race: Half-Wood Elf Ranger
Height: 5' 6"
Appearance: Dark blond hair, pale skin, blue eyes
Level: 1
XP: 0

Background:
Elorfin was born to a Wood Elven and human mixed couple in the forests of western Ka'thalar. His father was a human farmer and trapper come to Ka'thalar to earn an honest living in new territories, his mother the Wood Elven maiden who befriended and settled with him. Elorfin was raised on the edge of forests close to a local outpost that provided his father with trade, spending his days with his father in the woods, setting out in learning the trade that had sustained him, and on trips to nearby outposts and towns.
One night, at age ten, Elorfin's father failed to return home and his mother, following out to see what had happened to him, failed to reappear. Drow raiders overturned and destroyed their home, and Elorfin only survived by taking refuge in the nearby woods. Elorfin's parents had been slain by by the Drow, spilling from their cavern stongholds in running battles with Druids and Wood Elves. Grieving in the woods he was found by Talaran, a lone Tuathan Druid who had been fighting the drow in question. Talaran vowed to raise the young half-elf himself for the rest of his youth and carry on teaching him the ways of the wild.
From Talaran Elorfin learned another side to the wilds he had frequented with his father, gaining insight into nature's ways from the Druid's standpoint, and acquiring a taste for the elemental magics that the Druid practiced. But the call of the wider world was strong in Elorfin, and he became restless with the slow pace of life in the forests. At age 30, Elorfin bid Talaran farewell, and set forth to find his fortunes in greater Gaera.

Personality:
Elorfin is not necessarily quiet, but is inward looking, stern, and bent to adventure. Elorfin is a little scarred by his past tragedies, and it makes him a serious character, especially for a wood elf. He looks to adventure and the open road for hope, hope of reward and perhaps a little infamy, and occasionally misses his woodland home. Being from a roguish background he is used to independence and is suspicious if not disregarding of authority, the larger and more grandiose the better.

Religion:
Elorfin worships the Elemental Lords in cursory fashion, a habit picked up from his teacher Talaran. This also accounts for his magical skills and their bent to Druidic and Nature magics.

Stats
Courage: +1
Wisdom: +2
Intuition: +3
Charisma: +1
Agility: +3
Dexterity: +3
Strength: +3
Stamina: +3
Magic Aptitude: +2

Hit points: 70
Magic points: 45
Tech points: 20
Intiative: 4+2d6
Attack/Parry: 10/10
MAttack: 7
MBlock: 15
Missile Evasion: 19

Skill Points: 30
Skills:
Melee Weapon (Swords) 4 {Cou/Str/Agi}
Melee Weapon (Dagger) 2 {Cou/Str/Agi}
Missile Weapon (Bow) 4 {Cou/Dex/Str}
(s)Stealth 3 {Agi/Agi/Dex}
(s) Swimming 2 {Agi/Sta/Str}
Tracking 3 {Int/Int/Sta}
Cooking 1 {Int/Int/Dex}
Traps 1 {Int/Int/Dex}
(k)Read and Write 2 {Int/Wis/Wis}
(k)Survival 2 {Int/Wis/Wis}
Druid Magic 4 {Int/Wis/Mag}
Earth Magic 4 {Int/Wis/Mag}

Abilities:
Druidic Magic - Choking Brambles ([Druidic Magic=1]Choking Brambles (7 MP) - Causes a web of thorny vines to erupt from the ground, entangling opponents. Deals 8+2*rank+1d6 damage, and roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, target cannot take action this round.)
Earth Magic - Quake 1 ([Earth=1]Quake 1 (5 MP) - Does 10 + rank*2 + 1d6 earth damage to a single target)

Equipment:
Short Sword, Dagger, Shortbow, Quiver of 20 arrows, Woolen Breeches, Hooded tunic, Boots, Studded Leather Armour, Backpack, Cooking utensils, 30' Rope, Strong Healing Potion

{Note: no techs have been added as I am a but stuck on that one. . .}

Blackwind Isao

Unread postby Blackwind Isao » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:07 pm

Only two mistakes on substats:
TP=10+3(STA+COU)= 22
INIT=AGI+(COU/2)+2d6= 3+2d6

History and personality look workable.

You are missing stats for weapons and armor. I'll put them up in the morning.

Get with AM or Jak about techs. Alternately you could post your ideas and we'll critique them in the comments.
Ignorance has no power over those who dare to know. And those who dare have the power to change everything. - Dana Hunter
Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self imposed immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's understanding without guidance from another. This immaturity is self-imposed when its cause lies not in lack of understanding but in lack of resolve and courage to use it. Sapere Aude! -I. Kant

Blackwind Isao

Unread postby Blackwind Isao » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:17 am

As promised.
Short Sword 0 AT / 0 PA 7 Thrust / 10 Slash / 13 Chop .75 Weight

Dagger +1 AT / -1 PA 4 Thrust / 7 Slash / 9 Chop .25 Weight

Short Bow STR+DEX*2+2 Accuracy 16+STR+6 Damage 1 Weight

Studded Leather 6 AC 0 AT / -1 PA 15 Durability -3 Casting Penalty

Other Notes:
Technically (see Kai's note) druidic magic gives you acess to Earth, Air and Fire Elemental schools of magic. This makes your Earth Magic skill redundant (unless you start to use hybrid spells).
Ignorance has no power over those who dare to know. And those who dare have the power to change everything. - Dana Hunter
Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self imposed immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's understanding without guidance from another. This immaturity is self-imposed when its cause lies not in lack of understanding but in lack of resolve and courage to use it. Sapere Aude! -I. Kant

Blackwind Isao

Unread postby Blackwind Isao » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:30 am

Last Bit 'O Notes:
(k) skills are (Wis/Wis/Wis)
There isn't a skill for reading/writing outside of (k) Foreign Languages. Characters are assumed to be literate in languages that would make sense for them (thus you'd get Common, Elven, Druidic and possibly Sylvan).

Lastly check out the advanced Philsys theory page for some simple techs or peruse some character sheets that are posted for ideas.

Scara6
Wondering

Thanks

Unread postby Scara6 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks for the help, I've added the weapon and armout stats to the sheet.

Tech wise, only that he might have a few weapon techs per his choices - Sword and more pertinently bow, perhaps a called shot accuracy type tech per a hunter. . .

I quite follow you with regard to spells, I just picked what looked like a couple of good ones from what seemed fields I could tie in to the background, if necessary I could rop the Earth magic spell in favour of a Druidic or related spell. . .

Blackwind Isao

Unread postby Blackwind Isao » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:59 pm

Again check the advanced philsys theory page for a few techs (you could grab precise striking, dexterous striking and aim from the list there as starters and for guidelines).

Technically (again see Kai's note) you can keep the Quake spell and NOT keep Earth magic on your list of skills.

'Tis all I can think of at the moment.

Cthulufaic

Re: A character - still progressing

Unread postby Cthulufaic » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Nice character, although the name doesn't sound very Elvish (to me at least), I generally think of Elven names flowing like water, and can roll off the tongue easily. I can't quite picture what his face would look like, so I would prefer some more information on that (e.g: Broad nose, thin lips, mangy eyebrows, etc.).
Great character overall though.

EDIT: Just saw the date of the previous post, hope I wasn't necro'ing, but it was on the front page so it couldn't of been a necro right?

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Re: A character - still progressing

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:08 am

This part of the forum is basically dead, really. A lot of the forum is, aside from a few games currently taking place. Hello!

Return to Character Closet