Werewolf?

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Werewolf?

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:10 pm

I've been poking around with my Werewolf: The Apocalypse book recently, and I feel like it might be fun to run a game. However, past experience tells me that no one's interested in taking part in such a game. Is that still true?

Some notes: If I ran a Werewolf game, I wouldn't use Derlium, or else I'd tone it down greatly. It's overpowered and ridiculous. 80% of the human population shouldn't be neutralized just by looking at you while you're in your werewolf shape. Plus the massive rate of forgetting that anything happened afterwards... Uhg. The reasoning behind it isn't so hot either. A mechanic that relies entirely on the idea that people are uniformly weak minded sheep? No. Not doing it.

I pledge not to work the environment angle. It's played out and I'm fairly certain that not everyone wants to be forced to play the role of a hirsute planeteer with an aggression problem. In fact, I feel that most folks don't want to do that.

I don't (currently) have a preference for board or chat RP. I want to get it out in the open right now that people who don't post/show up on a regular basis will get their character thrown into the grinder. My other RP has suffered a lot from that and, frankly, White Wolf has a great deal of ways to shuffle you off the mortal coil.

I plan to try to keep this the way the book suggests you start a game: players make characters with the GM as individuals, and then all the players and the GM work together to throw together a prequel to the main game, in which the pack (party) is formed, so that once the meat of the game has gotten rolling the characters have some history together and a general idea of who is who and what they can do.

Werewolf: The Apocalypse

Anyone interested?

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:03 am

I'd so sign up for this. I'm still playing with my old RL group every now and then, but we have "transcended" from WoD to Dark Heresy and Eon (a swedish "realistic" fantasy game, very heavy on culture, history and, of course, war), which makes me a bit sad. So, I'd sign up for a board game; chats, no can do. I'm so tied up with schoolwork at seemingly random notice that a chat RP would only serve to bring me closer to the inevitable flunk.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:04 am

Interest get!

Not sure whether I'm more vying for chat or board; really, either would probably work for me.

edit: Also, somehow, this thread reminded me of Werewolf: The Last Warrior. Which is a good thing.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

No more heroes, fuzzball.

Unread postby Capntastic » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:30 am

KC-CH-K-CH-KH!!!!!!! (this is the lightning sound effect Data East used in Werewolf: The Last Warrior, and also Karnov and every other game they made.)

Anyways, I don't know anything about the system but if you had a PDF or something I could browse I may become interested. I'm just curious as to what sort of limitations there ar eon character makin' and all that, really.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:33 am

At the moment I lack PDFs of fun. I'll hunt around for one, but until I locate one all I've got is my hardcopy here.

Well, that was fast. Now torrenting.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:05 am

PDF posted in the first post. No time to test it, family won't piss off long enough for me to even click the damn link. Later folks. Hope it works.

Edit: It does.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:30 am

I might possibly be interested. I've played Vampire before and a tiny bit of Werewolf, so I'm passingly familiar with the subject matter.

Would there be any restrictions in character creation at all? For example, would you want us to be of the same tribe or auspices?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:57 am

No. Quite the opposite in fact. A well balanced pack is like a well balanced DnD party: Diverse.

Also: Three or Four is enough, but I'd happily take as many as Six. Anyone else interested?

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Priam has a question! He will ask it.

So if there is none of the political agenda type stuff of the werewolves as in the source, is what we're taking from the book basically "there are animalistic shapeshifters, please try to not get caught as one"? I'm uncertain as to whether this non-paying-attention-to-the-environmental-angle will affect some of the base stat-type things about the character (though, admittedly, I have not yet read about these Tribes or Auspices or whatever).
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:45 pm

No; It's a misconception that all the werewolves care about is the physical state of the planet. There's horrible monsters that lurk the world, created by the Wyrm. There's political intrigue between the tribes. There's human corporations that, rather than being evil despoilers of the land because either they just want to be ludicrously evil (Loot and Plunder lawl) or because the Wyrm said so, are nebulous in their intentions and lethal in their practices, kidnapping and doing experiments on werewolves. There's a wholly other tribe of Werewolves known as the Black Spiral Dancers that want you and everyone you know dead or corrupted in horribly slow and painful ways. There's also smaller concerns, like protecting Kin all kinds. Maybe this means killing animal poachers in the woods, maybe this means protecting a distant relative in the city from muggers, psychos and rapists. And then there's the off chance that I'll invent some new material for the game.

I'm just going to avoid the blatant "Toxic waste, oh no! Evil big business, oh no! Oil and fast food and money, oh no!"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:30 pm

Awww, but that's what I like about Werewolf. :[

Jokes aside, sounds like you've got something good going here. :D

I'll try to think out some concepts so I can get started on the character once you give the go.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:43 pm

I'm pretty confident that this will work now, and I've started thinking up names and places. Feel free to bug me via PM or AIM about concepts or any questions you guys have. I want to do this as a board RP, so Christian can take part. Hope that's ok with everyone?

Still totally accepting players if the interest is there.

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:18 pm

I also have the... how you say... interest in this project. I promise to be good, and whatnot.

Well, maybe not "good", per-se...

Clark

Unread postby Clark » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:39 am

Several years back, I almost was involved in a game of Mage, and while the game never got started, WW's concepts did interest me. I hear they decided to scrap the old world of darkness and make a new world of darkness that isn't quite as cool. Too bad.

I'm reading the pdf now and my interest is rekindled. I'll try to catch you on AIM later, Bes.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:27 pm

Give me a day/time by which a character sheet is to be completed, and I promise to bug you sufficiently beforehand that it actually gets done.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:48 pm

I would like to start by the 26th.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:40 pm

Alright, I... actually... still haven't gone back on AIM yet, but maybe you could add me to MSN (if you have it) soptunnan2k5 at hotmail dot com

I know I should stick with AIM, but I just... don't like the interface very much... :/

Anyhow! What kind of setting (where, when, social classes, etc...) were you planning. I'm up for playing more or less anything, but I'd enjoy a more serious role to weigh up against Mikhail in Wilting Roses. Are we going to be a playing a complete moon (New Moon to Full Moon) or is it up for everyone what they want to be?

Graah, I can't wait for this to start. :D I've always wanted to RP more Whitewolf online where it's easier to be serious.

Oh. and yeah, I don't have much going for New Wold of Darkness. Haven't really read up that much (though I like the concept of Prometheus) but in my opinion once Vampire turned 3rd Edition, things slooooowly began to turn for the worse.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:59 pm

Old World of Darkness, I haven't picked a location yet but I plan to have it set in the present day, and I'll see if I can grab an MSN account.

Feel free to be any auspice, any tribe, any breed. I mean, it's obviously better for the party to do a complete moon, but I've never felt it was the GM's job to tell their players what to play.

edit: sehlehtahn at hotmail dot com

Clark

Unread postby Clark » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Aren't there clients that can message both AIM and msn users? I was never a fan of msn, but if the only reason this is going for board is because of messaging clients and not scheduling we should at least look into alternatives.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:27 pm

There are, yes. I don't know the ones on Microsoft, but I'm using Pidgin on Linux which does both, so I can be reached at most any time now on my new MSN, and JasonAB17 and Besyanteo on AIM.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:10 pm

Personally IMing won't work for me at all, I'm on GMT+1. So unfortunantly at least I can't partake in anything like that. Way back, when I was a carefree college(equivelant of it anyway) student, I could spend nights IMing, sadly that's not the case today.

Anyhoos; I'm going to crack up my old Werewolf core rulebook, if I can find it, and look for some interesting ideas; I used to play Stargazer, but since then I've gotten a little bit older, a little bit wiser (and I've started to get hair in really weird places) so I'm thinking of something more manageable and less serene. Right now I'm looking between a sensible and realistic Black Fury and compromising Black Fury (pscheah right), a Silver Fang sprung from the loins of a modern-day corporate conglomere of the old rich, trying to balance the Fight for Gaia with keeping his personal stockportfolio (not to mention pleasing the shareholders in the branch of the business he was given to handle), a... Well, the list could go on.

One final thing before I turn in for the night (early work morn' tomorrow), are we going to start with people having their first change? I mean, I've got nothing against it really, and it could be good for some people who aren't buried nose-deep in the old setting... Anyway, plenty of time until this thing starts. :)

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:31 pm

Still thinking about this here...could be fun. Thinking about a
Spoiler:
Ahroun Wendigo Lupus

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:18 pm

I had hoped to managed people's first change personally with them. for most people this means an IM session. For you and me, Christian, it probably means going back and forth via hotmail or private messages. I'd prefer the latter, really.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:55 am

Alright, doing a one on one should be manageable with my schedule. When do you want it done?

Oh, and I'll get to work with a character some time today. I guess it's okay if I don't submit a pdf/scan? :)

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:29 am

... Good point. I should have something you guys can fill out with character information. Sorry about that.

I'll put together a template in a .txt files soon-like.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 am

No no no! O.O

That's not at all what I meant; I was just wondering if it's alright if I do submit my character in text-form, and not on a sheet! ^^;;; Sorry for the really bad phrasing of that, I didn't mean to say that you should do it.

In fact, I can post one I've been using for a long time. It's nothing fancy, but it saves you the work. :)

Name :
Player :
Chronicle :

Breed :
Auspice :
Tribe :

Pack Name :
Pack Totem :
Concept :

Camp :
Nature :
Demeanor :

={Attributes}=

Physical
Strength : 00000
Dexterity : 00000
Stamina : 00000

Social
Charisma : 00000
Manipulation : 00000
Appearance : 00000

Mental
Perception : 00000
Intelligence : 00000
Wits : 00000

={Abilities}=

Talents
Alertness : 00000
Athletics : 00000
Brawl : 00000
Dodge : 00000
Empathy : 00000
Expression : 00000
Intimidation : 00000
Primal-Urge : 00000
Streetwise : 00000
Subterfuge : 00000

Skills
Animal Ken : 00000
Crafts : 00000
Drive : 00000
Etiquette : 00000
Firearms : 00000
Leadership : 00000
Melee : 00000
Performance : 00000
Stealth : 00000
Survival : 00000

Knowledges
Computers : 00000
Enigmas : 00000
Investigation : 00000
Law : 00000
Linguistics : 00000
Medicine : 00000
Occult : 00000
Politics : 00000
Rituals : 00000
Science : 00000

={Advantages}=

Backgrounds
-
-

Gifts
-
-

={Renown}=

Glory

Honor

Wisdom

={Rage}=

={Gnosis}=

={Willpower}=

Experience :

Merits :

Flaws :

={Expanded Backgrounds}=

Allies :
Contacts :
Fetish :
Kinfolk :
Mentor :
Past Life :
Pure Breed :
Totem :

Possessions
Gear(Carried) :
Equipment(Owned) :

History :

Eyes :
Race :
Nationality :
Sex :

Description :

EDIT #1: Removed some abilities that aren't in the corebook, and kinda toned down on things that aren't really necessary. As long as Bes ok's this, you're free to use it, or make your own... I guess?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:28 am

Yeah, that should be just fine. We'll add a space for fetishes and rites and such as they become necessary.

Edit: I'm not sure when would be a good time to get with you via AIM yet. I'll get back to you on that.

Editx2: Right. So, there's 6 hours between us. The best times I can suggest are 4-11 PM your time, on most any given day.

Judo
Kyokugen 4 life. Reprasent

Unread postby Judo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Hmm.

You have my attention, Bes-san. Drop me an IM at ShinJudo on AIM so that we may discuss further.
"Power without perception is spiritually useless and, therefore, of no real value..."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:03 pm

So... Anyone have concepts they want to talk to me about? I know Gus has posted his basic idea so far, but I don't know anything beyond Breed, Auspice and Tribe. Shaun and Christian have both shot concepts at me but haven't finalized anything yet that I know of. Priam and Judo have talked with me via IM a little just now. I can understand why Zero's having trouble, for some reason his computer won't handle the PDF. I'm not certain what to do about that just yet...

Nothing from Clark yet. >:( This does not bode well, Clark. You and I have history together, and if you want to be part of this game I'm going to expect you to make extra effort for it.

IM me, PM me, etc.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:32 am

Use Foxit reader for PDFs. Not guaranteeing it'll work, but it's only incompatible with some Japanese PDFs I've gotten.

Oh, and this has been a surprisingly busy week for me, as I've had to work, suddenly rewrite a bunch of short roleplays for class and whatever else <s>I can come up with to put the blame of it all on on someone else's shoulders</s> that's kept me busy.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:44 am

Sorry about the lack of messages from me, but until recently I wasn't at my own computer. I've now got a chance to start making a sheet and giving this a little more time. Only problem is that I'm already involved with 2 board RPs and 2 RL RPs, so I'm debating whether I should take on another.

You'll hear from me soon, one way or the other.

Judo
Kyokugen 4 life. Reprasent

Unread postby Judo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:38 am

Bes. Hit me back on AIM when you see this. I got something that may be of some help to you in the construction of your chronicle.
"Power without perception is spiritually useless and, therefore, of no real value..."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:05 am

Bes, could you come online on MSN when you see this? I'll try to be online as long as I can today.

I've got the concept and the stats down for my character, more or less, and I'd like to discuss him (it might be a her though, I'm still not settled on that) with you a bit.

Here's the sheet.

Everyone, but Bes in particular. I've got a load of sourcebooks for werewolf lying around, particularly of interest might be the Player's Guide (containing Nature & Demeanor (a sort of personality archetype thing, not really that important) as well as Merits, Flaws and other goodies. Also, the number one point of interest is the Tribesbooks, which can really help you flesh out your character if you're stuck. They give great insight into the history, factions and general politics of any tribe.

Since I'm a filthy coward, I won't link to these things here, but if you send me a mail at the above mentioned addy, I'll give you a link to them. Just tell me what you want and I'll sort ya out.

Of course, this is if Bes agrees for me/us to use these things (merits, flaws and such).

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Yes, I'm allowing Merits and flaws. Also, it doesn't seem to state it anywhere specifically, so I thought I'd post here (somewhat belated) that everyone has 20 freebie points to work with, to round out their concepts.

It's listed on page 102, but I'll put it here too:

Code: Select all
Trait                 Cost
Attributes        5/Dot
Abilities            2/Dot
Backgrounds    1/Dot
Gifts                7/Gift (level 1 gifts only)
Rage                1/Dot
Gnosis             2/Dot
Willpower         1/Dot

Note: If your merit and flaw costs don't equal out, unless I've missed something somewhere I believe the difference comes out of or goes into your freebie point pool.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:45 pm

Yet another oversight: People should talk to me about the equipment they want their character to have at the start of the game.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Erk, sorry mate, but I've got too much on at the moment. Tempting as it is, I'm not able to add another thing to my schedule. Good luck with it though, I'll probably be reading along.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:32 pm

No worries Gus. If you do watch, PM me some time and tell me how I'm doing!

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:56 am

So, uhh... How's everyone coming along?

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:17 pm

I are done and ready! Well, I guess I also have to decide my character's age in order to complete the sheet, but hey, details.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:39 pm

The 26th has come, and is almost gone! Update?

Next

Return to OOC RP Discussion