we just got a 360--

Mmm, spam. Light discussion and silliness!

Moderators: BrainWalker, FlamingDeth, PriamNevhausten

pd Rydia

we just got a 360--

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:55 pm

We just got an Xbox360 because one of Mike's coworkers is a Halo fangirl and decided she wanted the new Halo skinned 360 that is coming out, despite already owning a 360 (cuz, y'know, she had to have something to play Halo on). Rather than trading her old 360 into the same store that we would buy it from, we bought it off her for the same as the trade in value, Mike and I avoiding a nasty markup and she receiving real cash rather than "trade-in credit." Take that, middleman!

Of course, I've been completely ignoring the Xbox/360 since it came out, since I have until recently lacked the means/drive to get one. As a result, I have no familiarity with any of the games for it. I was hoping maybe some of you Xbox-owning/-playing folks out there could help me out in my search for knowledge.

[1] How does backwards compatibility work, or specifically, are there any problems like I'm hearing about with the PS3? Will all old Xbox games work fine on the 360 or are there some which have issues?

[2] How does the Xbox live stuff work? Is the cost worth it? If I wanted to multiplayer with someone specific, i.e. a friend rather than random internet fuckwad #N, how do I set that up; relatedly, what is the fuckward:non-fuckwad ratio when playing against strangers?

[3] What games do you recommend, why, and what are they? (I don't know what most of these games are about or how they play mechanically, and these are probably the two parts of a game I find most important.)

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:22 pm

Jak owns an Xbox 360, I live in the same house as him, I own Guitar Hero II for the Xbox 360. Enough has been said.

In seriousness, I can sincerely recommend Guitar Hero II. The game is expensive but comes with guitar-shaped controller. Playing is simple rhythm, pattern recognition, and co-ordination, but there's a steep learning curve. However if you like guitar music (mostly a mix of rock and lighter metal) and musical games it's a fantastic game. I've been loving it since I bought it.

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:39 pm

Where are you two kicking it these days anyway?
I've been stuck with the Northern Monkeys up here in Liverpool.
You both still down with the Southern Pansies or what?

Umm, other then that I don't really know of much XBox 360 games or anything to do with it, so I can be no help here!
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:13 pm

We're renting a place in Ealing, along with two others. 360 is very much the communal console. Unfortunately most of the games I can recommend are shooting/action ones. Of all of those, though, Bioshock is worth a look simply for the setting, atmosphere and story. The fact it's a really fun game helps, too!

I've heard Viva Pinata is all sorts of fun. Yet to try it myself, but everyone who's played it generally speaks highly of it. Guitar Hero 2 is, indeed, awesome. It's like the new, "cooler" DDR.

As for backwards compatibility, there's a list of supported Xbox games here. I've had some problems, though. Mercenaries seems to overheat the console rather rapidly for some reason.

As for Xbox live, well, regular access is free. Most Microsoft Point downloads aren't worth it, and I'm not one for online play so no gold subscription here. What IS free are demos, though, which is bloody marvelous. Also, XBL Arcade has some old, groovy titles on it, but they usually go for ~$8 or so, which is a bit pricey.

Ark

Unread postby Ark » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:29 pm

Hmm using google maps I have found that this place is in Greater London.

... My guess is they renamed London to have greater in it to make thesmelves feel better in living in the most expensive place to live in the world. (It took over Tokyo! New York and all the others! ... Yay!?)

That Satellite mode scares me.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:00 pm

SS:
I think I've seen some 3rd party guitar controllers around, am I wrong? Cuz, I know that game's been out long enough that there's really no frikkin' excuse to pay $90 for it ($85 on Amazon with free shipping, oh boy!), and buying a used 3rd party controller+used disc only sounds like a deal to me. Also, do any of the controllers work for previous/future games or is it designed that you need hemorrhage money should you want to play more than one of the games?

Scott:
Hijacker. :{{

Alex:
Actually, Bioshock is one of the two games we have and Mike is playing it now; he got it used off a (different) coworker. I will probably give it the old college try in due time. The other game we have is--of course--Sneak King. Mike may be interested in the pyew pyew games, so feel free to make those recommendations if'n you're so inclined.

Thanks for the link! That will do me some good. I'm not familiar with consoles overheating. Actually, I'm not familiar with anything overheating, except for myself, pets, and the laptop that died. Is this something I need to keep an eye on? Any rules of thumb for keeping the Box cool and happy and not melty?

For myself, do tell me more about this demo thing.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:42 pm

If you're worried about splashing out loads for a slightly (but only slightly) dated game, wait 2 months and Guitar Hero 3 will hit the shelves. I'm anxiously awaiting this day so I can finally get a second controller. Plus there'll be wireless controllers available then.

My advice for Guitar Hero is to definitely try before you buy. So far people have been marmiting it. See here for meaning of this phrase.

But many many more have loved it than hated it so far.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:39 pm

Demo thing: plug 360 into router. Go to far left tab. Go to the "game demos" section. Browse until you find a game you like. Download, play and enjoy! Easier than borrowing a game off someone to try, and better than buying blind. I just hope you've got a 360 with a hard drive of some magnitude, since demos are usually 500 meg to over 1 gig in size. You do not need to pay any subscription to do this. A Gold subscription gets you very few exclusive things and online play.

Bioshock: Yay :D

Overheating: The 360 has somewhat of a reputation for having a good number of faulty models out there. The ones that warp their own motherboard due to improper application of thermal paste and shitty fans. My advice is to make sure the vents aren't blocked by anything and, if possible, play it in an air conditioned room. As for backwards compatability, the best thing to do is check online to see how other people managed with the game in question. Halo 2 worked fine and dandy for me, and I'm fairly sure other 1st party Xbox titles will too.

Guitar Hero: No idea about 3rd party controllers. Red Octane make the official ones, and they were the people who made the quality DDR mats way back when. So it's expensive, but you do get a quality piece of hardware.

Lastly: If you likes sum Western RPG, check out Mass Effect.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:45 pm

DO NOT buy a 3rd-party controller for Guitar Hero. My friend had 2, and they both went kablooey.

I got Guitar Hero 2 for $80 straight from redoctane. And it has so totally been worth it. Such a very very very very awesome game. I got the PS2 version, though.

And SS, I have to disagree with you on the learning curve. I've only owned the game for two weeks now, and I've already beat it. It's just five-staring everything on Expert that is taking me hours and hours.
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:58 pm

SS:
It's coming out so soon? Here's hoping it drives down the price of GH2! ::raises glass of ice water::

I remember being excited when I read that GH3 would be coming out on the Wii; we've always been planning to buy a Wii, but getting a 360 has been contingent on finding one on the cheap. (Hooray for the Halo 3 Box and fangirls!)

I don't suppose after waiting for the GH3 release that it would hurt to wait around and see what opinions are concerning how GH3 compares with GH2. Do you know if the wireless controller be compatible with GH2?

Alex:
oic! These demos sound most delicious. :] To get to use that, like as not we'll have to get our own internets. Good thing we were planning to do that anyway!

In the meantime, care to share any thoughts you may have on The Darkness, Dead Rising, or Kameo: Elements of Power? It's probably too early to look around to find any well-formed opinions on Eternal Sonata; I bet it's eating End's soul right now.

I hear some good things about Bioware. Though, I admit to some confusion regarding your link for Mass Effect--how does it have such a high review score, and from so many users, if it hasn't been released yet? I mean, I haven't read the date wrong, have I? On the subject of unreleased games, any thoughts on Darksiders, Prototype, The Last Remnant, or Rise of the Argonauts?

Molo:
Frown. Like this: :[
I may need to turn to CAG for my GH needs...

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:05 pm

If I had more time I would do more than just blurt out some names, but I don't have more time, so here goes:

Eternal Sonata
Beautiful Katamari
<s>Bioshock</s>
Soul Calibur IV, assuming either of you are into that sort of thing.

There's also "The Orange Box" coming next month which contains Half Life 2, which is apparently one of the best FPS experiences ever (never played it, myself), Portal, which is some kind of crazy FPS/puzzle hybrid involving a device that creates little portable holes in much the same way that Caesar has done since I created him, and Team Fortress 2, which I know nothing about other than that it's got a lot of character. And by that I mean moxie.

I'm sure Jak can fill in the details.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:23 pm

Ark

Unread postby Ark » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:23 am

I've briefly played The Darkness, it was fun in a FPS kinda way but nothing that makes me want to buy it. This is also my feeling on Bioshock, however Bioshock at least had awesome badguys who had a lots of character (Just watching and listening them was worth an hours entertainment).

They both look good and if you enjoy FPS's then they aren't bad examples of them, however if you don't enjoy them there's nothing there thats going to make you change your mind either. Both of them has some interesting tomfoolery in them - with Darkness's control of shadow demons and such, and Bioshocks fireblasts and whatnot.

So yeah. There's my unhelpful on topic comment.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:09 am

The Darkness is, from the demo I played, kinda fun. But not fun enough to warrent buying it at anything over budget price. Dead Rising I HATED with a passion, but that goes against the general grain of things. My gripe was the game giving you 10 different things to do and then giving you the time to do two of them. That, and if you don't have an HD TV then you ain't gonna be reading those subtitles, bitch. Tiny font is ludicrously tiny. As for Kameo....it was fun, but it lacks the charm of other games of its ilk. Played it for a few hours at a friends house, and I must admit that turning into a dragon and then wading into an army of goblins, breating fire and stomping all the way made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Mass Effect review score: Fanboys pumping rating with "I WANT THIS GAME" glee.

Unreleased Stuff: Only looked into Rise of the Argonauts briefly, but that looks like it could be a reasonably fun game.

BW's Post: I can't believe I forgot the new Katamari D: And Soul Calibur 4. Eternal Sonata also has a demo out on X-Box Live over there I believe, so you can try it out. Also, from my experiences with the demo of it, Blue Dragon is awful, steer clear of that one.

The Orange Box OF GOD is Half-Life 2, the Episode 1 and 2 expansion for it, Team Fortress 2 and Portal. Once again, First Person Shooters (though Portal is quite a bit different), but ones of the highest quality. And BW is right; Team Fortress 2 has moxie by the oodles.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:54 am

Brian:
Eternal Sonata just got released two days ago; it's definitely got my interest, though I probably won't be picking up any new RPGs till I finish the ones I've started. ::cough:: I've seen Beautiful Katamari advertising out and about for some time now. Previewers have complained that it's "just a rehash of the gameplay and graphics of the previous games" (heard similar complaints of GH3), but I've never actually owned or beaten any of the previous games, so I can't see that as being nearly so bad a setup as it could be.

Soul Calibur IV may be something to pick up down the road, though I prefer my fighting games to be heavier on the "ludicrous speed, go!" We have SSBB on preorder and while it's a whole different thing altogether, it'll be just fine for my needs. I recall that SSBM had a means of leveling the playing field in multiplayer by means of a computer-maintained, numerical-based handicap--don't recall the actual term for it--and I expect SSBB to continue the system or build upon it. I'm not familiar enough with the Soul series to know if they have any sort of analogue, or if the game is going to be really boring between two players of different skill levels.

Charles:
I can and do use google, I know how to find review sites and do so with some frequency. I posted here because I'm specifically looking for the opinions of friends and acquaintances, not the opinions of strangers.

Scott, Alex:
The Darkness has caught both my eye and Mike's, so maybe I'll keep an eye out in the bargain bins for it. (They were stuffed full of Xbox and Xbox360 games for months and months, now that we have a 360, they're full of PS2 games. Go figure. :/ )

Alex:
Dead Rising: :[ Well, that's just disappointing. I'm not a big fan of timed tasks, period, though I'll tolerate them in especially good or addictive games. I'm not sure about Mike's opinion on the matter, this being another game which caught our collective attention.

So, after your cleverly chosen turn-into-a-dwagon-and-stomp-things-flat example, you mentioned that Kameo compared less favorably to other games of its kind. Did you have any specific titles in mind?

Most of the Blue Dragon reviews I've seen have been unfavorable, the major complaint being "I've played this game already, about a h00rjillion times before." The favorable reviews also echo the note of its, erm, traditionality. Is this the awful of which you speak?

<s>::wikicheck:: The Orange Box comes out rather soon, doesn't it? Hm! I'll pass that information along to Mike, or sit him down in front of this thread. I think such a large box of pyew would be more along his lines than mine.</s> Portal looks fucking sexy, and I must say I would like to try some multiplayer TF2. So nevermind talking out of my ass without first reading stuff. Speaking of wikichecks, I like what I'm reading about Mass Effect over there. (I'm a lazy, lazy Dia who doesn't want to waste time on videos when she could read the same information in less than half the time. >_>)

WillBaseton
Self-Proclaimed Gaming Guru

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:07 pm

I would recommend Dead Rising, but you need an observatory telescope to read the text on that game without an HDTV. It's a really fun game, and absolutely full of replay value, which basically no 360 games offer. The reason for the timed tasks is because it's basically impossible to do everything in every playthrough, which leads to a lot of choice and varied ways to play the game. It's very fun, pokes fun at zombie stuff in a lot of ways, and has some great inside jokes about Capcom games. Mega Buster for the win.

Past that, you can get Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on XBOX Live Arcade for pretty cheap, if you like CV games. It's the same game it's always been, but without load times. So absolute thumbs-up from me.

Overlord is also very fun in a tongue-in-cheek, RPG-roasting way. Not to mention the minions are hilarious. I haven't beaten it, but it's just a really amusing game.

And the backlash about Blue Dragon is mainly due to its utterly juvenile characters and plot. I've said it before, but if you can sum up the entire plot of an RPG in four words ("I won't give up!" over and over and over again), it's probably got something wrong with it. If you can tolerate Saturday Morning Kiddy Anime storylines, you'll have no problems with Blue Dragon past its generally derivative nature, but the story is so painful to me that I personally couldn't in good conscience spend any money on it.

Personally, I'm not too keen on Mass Effect because it's turning out to be "KotOR, but a shooter". And personally, if I have the choice between a gun and a lightsaber, I'd pick the lightsaber every time. I just don't really like shooters, and mixing shooter and RPG is like putting bananas on a peanut butter sandwich: some people like it, but I'm just not a fan. Besides, look at what happened with Dirge of Cerberus.

I don't really have many more 360 games of note, just Samurai Warriors games, Phantasy Star Universe, Enchanted Arms, and Crackdown. But I did think of one game that might be amusing for you two to play. Earth Defense Force 2017 is basically one giant B-movie through and through. It's a budget title that basically just has you kill endless hordes of aliens, robots, giant bugs, and every other monster movie cliche in the universe. It's pretty boring in single player, but if you have two controllers, it's absolutely absurd fun in co-op. I wouldn't recommend playing it any other way, but it's at the very least worth a rental, since you can just spend all of your time destroying entire cities if you so desire.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:26 pm

I actually don't know if our TV is HDTV or not; we inherited it from our old roommate because he forgot to pack it when he moved out. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess "no," because there was no good reason for him to have one and he'd probably be trying harder to get it back if it were. I think I recall hearing about the text issues either on Dead Rising or another 360 game; it sounds irritating. :|

It occurs to me that I don't know what price HDTVs run at these days.

Castlevania will almost certainly be a buy--good to hear there aren't load time issues. Earth Defense Force 2017 sounds potentially entertaining, thanks for the heads up. I'll look into that one.

So have you got online play, or do you go with the free Live like Alex?

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:38 pm

I've got Live Gold, which is full multiplayer and stuff. I don't use it as much lately, especially since getting my PS3, but I recommend it if you have games you want to play with people and people you want to play with. Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo, for example, is awesome fun online, as is Crackdown, which I don't think I mentioned before but has some serious fun in the co-op department.

EDIT: The other game that originally had text readability issues that I can remember was Lost Planet, also a Capcom game, but they ended up instituting a patch for the game that eliminated that problem. I've heard you CAN still read Dead Rising's text, but just be sure to sit somewhere near the TV. It'll be impossible to read if you're sitting all the way across the room, even on an HDTV. Damned Otis and his non-voiced radio!

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:05 pm

So let's say we get Live Gold, and want to multiplayer some game with you; how do we set that up?

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:10 pm

Well, it depends entirely on the game, but the first thing you'll need to do is add me to your Live friends list, which is accessible on the Games tab of the dashboard. My gamertag is Archaotic. From there, each game has its own way of playing, but in general if you go to your friends list from inside of a multiplayer game, you can either Invite them to play, or just set up a Friend Match from inside of the game's multiplayer interface. Each game handles it differently, but if there are specific titles, feel free to ask me and I'd be glad to help ya figure them out. Some can be annoyingly complex.

I should also note: you can also add Silver players to your friends list as well, and you can chat, message, and pretty much do anything with them BUT play online. So if you got Jak's GT, you could add him too, and do everything but beat him up at games. :O

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:37 pm

I don't actually know much that's out for the X360 myself, despite their being plans in the works to collectively purchase one for The Glorious Condo. I'm excited to see Halo 3's storyline by way of co-operative play with Judo (as all FPS experiences should be taken in, I am convinced), but beyond that I don't really have any list of any length of things that I want to play. I could only tell you about three different names of games for the thing, really, and that's without regard to quality. This thread has possibly doubled my list of games that I have known will be on the console. Maybe tripled.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:00 pm

Overlord I loved, but it's definitely a rent game. Replayability isn't a big thing in it. At least not for me.

Also, later tonight I'll tell you what I think of Halo 3. Thanks for fucking up a release date, Argos!

Also, Will hurts me with his downplaying of Mass Effect. :[ The dialogue and character animations, my man! That's where it's at. That and KotOR 2 fucked me off rightly for being a buggy, unfinished yet brilliant game.

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:49 pm

On Mass Effect: Oh, the dialogue is nice (great voice acting), the character animations are alright (some of the new trailers look kinda wonky in the "staring off into space" department), and any game with Seth Green in it as a character earns a bit of respect from me, but still. I just would rather have melee combat or at least the OPTION to fight close combat in the game, but as it stands the game is a pure shooter combat-wise. And I just don't like that. Lightsabers, man. Lightsabers. It's sci-fi, there has to be some kind of wonky super-awesome melee weapon that assassins and the like use. Why only guns? =/

As for Halo 3, I'm guessing you managed to find one of the stores that broke street date? Toss me your Live gamertag so I can add you. >:P

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:11 pm

Because you need laser swords which can deflect shots and psudo-psycic warriors using them for melee to have a chance against guns, sadly. And that's some pretty heavy copyright infringement there. Also, melee = no use of cover, which seems to be a fairly big deal.

Tag = Jak Snide, and Gus did after work today. Argos, a "sells everything, is just a warehouse with a front desk" type place released it a week early. Word spreads fast on the net.

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:14 pm

Friend request sent! Look for one from Archaotic.

And yeah, I see your point, but still, it doesn't lessen the fact that removing melee from the game feels, to me, like a step BACK from KotOR, which had both melee and gun combat. Especially for someone like me who not only dislikes guns but is also a shitty aimer, hah.

Have fun with Halo 3 though. Maybe you guys can get Gold once the game comes out for real and we can co-op up the campaign. That'd be entertaining.

Ark

Unread postby Ark » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:32 pm

Oh yeah! I'd totally get Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 is I had a 360. And Rumble Roses XX. I really enjoyed both of the first games in the series, and the sequeals look like more of the same but flashier, so yay.

They're on my "If only I had a..." list.

Of course I understand that most don't really rate them that highly. Not appriate the effort those coders took to code in decent boucing. Ah well.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Mass Effect has bugger all aiming, if I've read correctly. You can look about in pause time and you only need to point in the general direction of the enemy to target it. Hitting it is stat based, I believe.

Also, chainsword > lightsaber, for the record. Now if only they'd made Gears of War as a Warhammer 40k game instead of whatever setting it actually is. :[

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:45 pm

Jak Snide wrote:Also, chainsword > lightsaber, for the record. Now if only they'd made Gears of War as a Warhammer 40k game instead of whatever setting it actually is. :[

And if only the characters were even remotely likeable. =/ Played 20 minutes of that game and I found myself utterly incapable of giving the slightest bit of a damn about what happened to Marcus McBeeferson and the Steroid Squad. XD

And yeah, I've heard the same about Mass Effect's aiming, which begs the question: why even use guns at all if aiming and skill has no effect? It just makes the game into an exercise in unusuality. If stats are going to determine everything, I'd RATHER just run up and punch people to death, hehe. As it stands, the only enemies I'll likely use anything other than a shotgun on will be giant robots and bosses, if I even get the game.

Ark

Unread postby Ark » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:57 pm

20 minutes of play! Wow you're 40% through the game.

Ha ha ha ha

.. Seriously that game is too short. My mate buys it, I pop out to the town and to go for a walk, get back and he's completed the bloody thing.

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:29 pm

Postin', postin', postin' on Mike's account...
Maybe we should have a directory on the wiki or a thread somewhere with gamertags/WiiIDs or something. That'd be neat.

I've never played KotOR and probably never will, so even if Mass Effect were the same game in a different colorful candy shell, I'd be getting a new experience.

I found that we inherited, with the Box, a disc with various demos on it. Gears of War is one of the included. Isn't the multiplayer mode the main attraction of that game, or am I totally off? At any rate, we needs be getting a second controller. :( Speaking of multiplayer and needing another controller, I could go for a game of Phil-Alex-Mike-Dia in Halo 3. :0

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:20 pm

That's not a terrible idea.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:11 pm

Dia and Gears of War: Apparently the multiplayer is. Never tried it. Gears is usually my "20 minutes of fun" game. Load up a good bit of the game, run through blasting and chainsawing all the way. Though...

Halo 3 has trumped that. Gus and I just spent over 4 hours in Co-Op, and there was never a lull in the fun. It's extremely well designed with regards to more than one player, and the battles that take place are often on a far grander scale than they are in the previous games. You can do some seriously awesome stuff. Like one guy flying a VTOL aircraft over an enemy walker, the other one jumping out, blasting the core and getting picked up once again before the thing detonates. Hell, vehicular antics in general are guaranteed fun. As long as your driver doesn't have irresistible compulsions to have Dukes of Hazard moments.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:14 pm

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaaaw

What are cliffs for if not to jump off?

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:15 pm

Jak Snide wrote:As long as your driver doesn't have irresistible compulsions to have Dukes of Hazard moments.

>_> Uh oh.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:25 pm

There's over half a dozen new pilotable veichles, I think. And the Brute ones are really sweet.

WillBaseton

Unread postby WillBaseton » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:39 pm

Tried out the Fire Grenades yet? Those must be badass beyond belief.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:47 pm

Had very little opportunity to before we stopped for the night. When we got them THINGS were happening which didn't facilitate their use.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:24 pm

Hey hey hey hey

If you're thinking of potential Xbox games to purchase for your new box of joyousness, I'd recommend the following:

Panzer Dragoon Orta. Still ridiculously beautiful and full of lots of stuff to shoot. Plus, you ride on a dragon. There's a delicious amount of content to unlock, including the original Panzer Dragoon! Best of all, it can be found for a very cheap price nowawdays. I ganked a mint copy offa eBay for less than $10.

Breakdown. Bizarre first-person game in which the entire title (including cinematic sequences) is seen from the eyes of your guy. The style of play is unique, the story is guided through a series of nightmarish dream sequences, and an epic level of difficulty.

Metal Wolf Chaos. It only came out in Japan, so the odds of actually playing it on your box are sadly astronomically low... however, how can you not love a game in which THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES REDUCES THE BAD GUYS TO ROAST CHICKEN~

(And yes I know I need to post in a lot of stuff, so leave me alone certain persons :X)

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:33 am

So the EB has Tetris Worlds and Fable in the bargin bin at $10 ($9.50 after discount and tax) each. Either of them worth it?

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:06 pm

Fable's supposed to be pretty cool. I actually have it on computer, but I'd only just started playing it when Darkknight petitioned to be lent a game. He likes it, though. It's my understanding that the one on computer is longer and better, though.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Next

Return to Kotoki's Bar and Inn