Planewalkers' Journies - OOC Thread

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Idran1701
None some call is air am

Planewalkers' Journies - OOC Thread

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:17 am

Important pages for players:

Well, my Planescape chat game's been fun enough that I figure, why not start another one? Difference is twofold in this one, though. First off, board instead of chat. Second, going to be using 3.5 for this rather than 2e. Now, the set-up.

(For those of you I mentioned the 3.5 Tomb of Horrors game to a couple of weeks ago, I'm going this route instead; ToH seems like the sort of thing that's most fun in person, I ended up figuring.)

You all are members of the Planewalker's Guild; a fancy Explorer's Club, essentially. But you're also all fairly new at this, and you don't want to die. Maybe one of you have been holed up in your library studying it from afar until you just had to see some of these things for yourself, maybe one of you left the Prime and found a way into the worlds beyond, maybe one of you was tired of walking around the same few spots time and again and just wanted to see something new. Whatever the reason, you've got the backup of the Guild, and you quickly found other potentially like-minds. Thus, you entered into an agreement with each other; head out together enjoy the benefits of safety in numbers, sometimes to make some money, sometimes just whatever happens to strike the fancies of one of your number. As it might sound, this game'll be somewhat freeform, mostly episodic in nature but with an occasional long-term plot thread.

Other background elements are certainly acceptable, as long as you work your folks into this general concept. Since I imagine these'll all be new folks, a couple paragraphs of background at least would be preferred. In case it becomes relevant at all (though I doubt it will), this game is in the same setting as my current chat-based Planescape game, though a year and a half or so further down the line than it.

You can either post character sheets here or IM them to me. What I'd like those of you not already familiar with Planescape (most of you, I believe) to do is to put together a basic framework background and talk to me about it either here or over IM. Then I can help you fill in the details for it. Pretty much anything background-wise could work for this. Folks that'd like, I can help them work out stuff to fit in their base concept as well, start even earlier than a background framework if necessary. And feel free to work out pre-existing connections between characters as well. And for folks that are wanting it for their backgrounds, I'll be following this post up with the mechanics/cosmology changes from the default D&D cosmology.

Folks in this game can be from any of the planes, of course, as well as from any published D&D setting but Eberron. I'm excluding that one since it has its own cosmology, and it's so solidly tied to the setting with the orbits and the waning/waxing effects on the Material and etc. that I don't want to try ripping it out and replacing it. I have no problem doing this with Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms, however, as it is already established in Planescape that folks from Krynn and Toril are merely silly in their view of the planes. :D

Now, character info! You'll be starting at level 2 for this, with proper starting gold for such. We'll assume everyone's paid their annual dues for the Guild already, and has the full 900 gold after that.

Definitely allowed races: Core races, Aasimar, Tiefling, Bariaur (Planar Handbook), Exiled Modron (Dragon 354)
Probably allowed races: Most anything else, if the background sounds good. Especially planar-linked stuff.

Classes, definitely core, most likely anything from the Manual of the Planes or the Planar Handbook, and case-by-case basis on other stuff you might want to use. Deities, for those of you potentially playing divine classes, beyond core can be drawn from any published setting past or present but Eberron (for reasons mentioned below), as well as from a smattering of real-life pantheons: Greek, Egyptian, Babylonian, Sumerian, Finnish, Celtic, Norse, Chinese, Japanese, or Hindi. Note that the Planescape versions of these deities more than likely won't match the actual versions exactly, but at least in general. Some of these are covered in Deities and Demigods, but for those that aren't, we can discuss appropriate favored weapons and domains as necessary.

Also, you may take up to a single Flaw (as seen here), so long as there is a good reasoning for it within your background. This definitely isn't mandatory by any means, but it's an option if you want it.

Finally, for those really wanting to get into character for this game, I've put up a copy of the Cant of the planes, the most common slang terms used by planars. Any additional information folks might want, feel free to ask here, since I know that wiki is far from complete.

I'll be looking for at least 4 people for this game, but possibly as many as 6. Folks in my current Planescape game can apply, but I would prefer at least half of the party here to be new folks.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Setting Information

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:20 am

This'll be basically using the D&D cosmology as shown in the Manual of the Planes, but with a few changes. And since this'll be based on Planescape, there are a few house rules to consider as well, to better align stuff with it.

First off, a couple of minor chargen issues. Creatures from the Material Plane (known in this game as the Prime Material Plane, or the Prime) do not gain the Extraplanar subtype when outside their home plane. Intelligent creatures not from the Prime, on the other hand (including PCs, yes), gain the following ability: "Portal Sense (Ex): You can detect portals in a cone-shaped emanation with a range of 60 feet in front of you. Using this ability requires a full-round action, and any portals within range appear to you as a glowing outline. This does not reveal the destination of the portal, nor any keys or requirements on its usage. This ability cannot penetrate barriers." This ability isn't given to petitioners, though, if someone is taking that template from MotP.

The planes themselves have some rearrangement in this setting as well compared to the standard cosmology. The Plane of Shadow is a demiplane here, and located wholly within the Ethereal, as are all demiplanes, though it is still coexistent and coterminous with the Prime. The Astral and Ethereal are separate, though both are still coexistent with the Prime, the Astral is coexistent with every Outer Plane, and the Ethereal is coexistent with every Inner Plane. Because of this, spells requiring access to the Astral fail on the Ethereal or Inner Planes, and spells requiring access to the Ethereal or Demiplane of Shadow fail on the Astral or Outer Planes. The teleportation spells (those specifically named Teleport in their names) do not require Astral access in this game, but spells to raise the dead do. Unless the person worshipped a deity that dwells on the Ethereal or Inner Planes, of course, in which case for that person they require Ethereal access.

(Speaking of spells to raise the dead, a minor change for them: they require getting some sort of item relevant to the deity's purview from the deity's realm as a material component instead of the material components required for each spell currently. For example, someone that worshipped a god of love might require a rose from that god's realm as a material component. People that worshipped no god require an item from the plane in general that represents its alignment (in the case of the Outer Planes) or a pure handful of the plane's element (in the case of the Inner Planes).)

Now, we jump to the Inner Planes, which aren't that much changed from 3.5 so much as expanded. On top of the 6 listed Inner Planes, there are also Para- and Quasielemental planes, located where the Elemental Planes border each other or the Energy Planes respectively.

Paraelemental: Ice (Air-Water), Magma (Earth-Fire), Ooze (Earth-Water), Smoke (Air-Fire)
    Positive Quasielemental: Lightning (Air), Mineral (Earth), Radiance (Fire), Steam (Water)
    Negative Quasielemental: Ash (Fire), Dust (Earth), Salt (Water), Vacuum (Air)

These planes have the same traits as the other elemental planes, with the appropriate elemental- and energy-dominant traits. Magic is mostly enhanced and impeded as may be expected.

Finally, the Outer Planes are the same in name and in planar properties for the most part, but each one has magical effects beyond simply the alignment-based qualities. For arcane magic or magic cast through magical items, there are distortions both by school and by types of spells. Your characters may know some of these already, depending on your backgrounds or skills. For researching them, learning the distortions by school is a DC 15 Knowledge (Planes) check, while learning the distortions by type of spell is DC 20.

Divine magic is affected too, but this is based less specifically where you are and more how far you are from your deity's home plane. If you are on your deity's home plane, or a plane that neighbors it, there's no change. For each plane of separation farther than this, however, you gain an effective -1 caster level for purposes of both memorization and casting. This does count the long way around the Great Ring if you're on the Outer Planes; if you're on Arcadia and your deity is on Gehenna, you lose 3 levels, not merely one from cutting through the Astral or the Outlands. One thing about folks on the planes is they often worship folks not out of faith (since it's not exactly faith when you can head over and potentially say hi to your god) but out of practicality, as well as agreement with how they do things and why of course; this means deities on the Outlands or the Astral tend to be fairly popular for clerics, paladins, and the like. But it's up to you folks. Also, a special exception to this: there are no negative levels for people on either the Prime, of course, or in a planar hub such as Sigil or the Infinite Staircase. Seeing as this limitation is due to a general agreement between the deities, they seem all right to grant equality to all spellcasters in such central locations.

Magical weapons also suffer some from planar distance, though this is less of an effect in 3.5 given the greater number of special abilities. For each plane you move away from the plane on which your weapon was forged, it loses +1 of its enhancement bonus, to a minimum of +0; such weapons are still considered magical for purposes of defeating DR, however, even if they have no special abilities beyond that. And the +1 enhancement bonus of masterwork weapons does still apply to such a weapon, since it is no longer overruled by the innate enchantment. Thus, any magical weapons you find or buy will have their plane of origin included. Contrary to divine casters, this does go by the shortest route; a weapon enchanted on Gehenna only loses 2 pluses on Arcadia: Gehenna->Astral/Outlands->Arcadia. And though this does still apply on the Prime or in Sigil (which is treated as if it were in the Outlands), a special quality of the Infinite Staircase means all weapons are fully powered there.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Since Bes insisted on having a horse, this item is available to those who want it. :D

Horseshoes of ascent

These horseshoes, when shod on a horse or other hoofed animal, allow it to climb stairs as if they were ramps. Because of the nature of this item's enchantment, it is only effective within the Infinite Staircase.

Faint Evocation; CL 3rd; Craft Wonderous Item, Tenser's floating disk, must be crafted on the Infinite Staircase; Price 100 gp.

Yes I know the price doesn't fit the magic item creation guidelines.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:57 pm

I am up for this. I shall ponder my character choices.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:03 pm

I also want in on this. Character sheet coming soon.

Geesi
I fix problems.

Unread postby Geesi » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:32 pm

I'll give it a whirl, just need to get that blasted backstory thing going.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:26 am

Have IMed about interest. Need to finish character first, obviously.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:11 pm

If there's still room, I'd be interested in joining in on this as well.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:07 pm

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:16 pm

...Well, this makes 8, counting Kelne and Shini who haven't posted yet but I've been working with in IM. More than I expected to show interest in this, especially for a board RP, heh. So, what I'm going to do is choose 6 characters amongst you to go in first, then if/when people drop out, folks that didn't get in originally can come in as alternates. Sound good to everyone?

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:29 pm

I suddenly don't have the free time I expected to have, so I'll volunteer to be an alternate.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Aha. A shame, but I appreciate it, Seethe. Go ahead and get your sheet done anyway, though, so I've got it should stuff happen.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:26 pm

Sorry for the doublepost, but I wanted to make sure folks saw the new post here. Anyway, I've been getting a couple of requests from players so far for me to give a rundown of the other characters, so they know what to expect. Engouh so that I think taking a common practice from the SA tabletop forum might be useful.

What I'd like folks to do is to post about a paragraph of description of their own characters; physical stuff, personality, skills, history, anything the others could see on first look or they'd have told the others when they first met. Then, as folks post their own write ups, I also want you to post your character's own impressions of each other, based on these write ups. What you think about one another based on your first meetings. Go ahead and edit these into your own posts if you'd like, so we don't have a bunch of catch-up posts as folks post their own stuff. And I do want this from all seven of you, since as of yet the six I choose could be any of you.

Edit: To clarify, this doesn't mean give everything away about your characters. Secrets and whatnot are fine, only post about the stuff your character would freely reveal or that is obvious upon looking at them. :O

And in fact, if the first impressions themselves would reveal secrets about your characters, feel free to just IM them to me.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:44 pm

Zant is a water gensai and, for the majority of his life, lived with his neirid mother on the plane of water. His father was a merry planehopping explorer of a mage and didn't contribute majorly to Zant's childhood. What he did give him during his few visits were tales of the rest of the cosmos. While these were of interest to the young gensai, it wasn't enough to prompt him to travel, not even when compounded with the general antipathy most of the locals felt towards him. It wasn't until he felt a divine calling that he set out to see the planes as well as further the agenda of the new and confusing force in his life.

Zant is generally cool headed and soft spoken, a disposition apparently common to most water gensai. He follows the philosophy of his patron deity, Istishia, as best as he can, still being somewhat unfamiliar with his dogma. The result of this is an adaptable nature and a reluctance to force change in things. Physically Zant stands five and a half feet tall and moves fluidly, always trying to maintain a calm expression. He doesn't look as if he's entered his twentieth year yet, judging by human standards. His features are smaller and softer than usual, lacking angles and hard edges. His skin is a pale cyan and glistens as if he was wet. His hair, meanwhile, is a cloudy white and ripples constantly, regardless of whether a wind is blowing or not. His eyes are coloured the same and are, quite noticably, without pupils. When not wearing his shell armour he wears loose cloth pants and shoes and prefers to remain bare chested.

What he'd think of others:

Shawn: "She caries herself in a manner unusual for someone of her age, if she actually is a child. Perhaps she's on a perpetual sugar crash, with a dependancy too huge to sate? It's certainly more favourable than some of the alternative explanations for her behaviour."

Asp: "I really should be angry that he stole my text. Again. But since he's so good about giving it back when asked I can't really hold a grudge. His exuberance and curiosity suit him well, as well as making him good company. Though that animal he keeps with him disturbs me."

Lorraine: "If anyone fits my dad's descriptions of adventurers, its her. Who else walks around with a sword that big and a bird perched on their shoulder? I could say she looks a little odd, but she's probably far less strange to people than I am."

Gulrd: "His appearance marks him as some sort of thug, but once you get to know him you'll be pleasantly surprised. He's a bit loud at times, but you can't hold that against him. His open mindedness speaks well of him, and he's generally pleasant. But what is up with humans and keeping birds about?"

Vance: "His eyes say he wishes to explore, but his actions show that he craves confrontation even more. He looks like a man equipped for dry, walking war and tries his hardest to start one. I pray that one day he'll learn that most problems can be circumvented rather than smashed aside."

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:18 pm

Shawn is, at first glance, a grumpy young girl. Upon further inspection, she's a grumpy young girl with the filthy habit of smoking. She wears her red hair back in two ponytails, and aviator's goggles rest on her forehead. For someone her age, her eyes (Green) look surprisingly weary, as if she's seen more than her fair share of the cruelty of the planes.

Her dress may or may not be surprising- Simple clothes, along with leather armor and a short sword, all scaled down to her size. She keeps a backpack, also scaled, and a pouch at her side that, if one looked closely, she pulls quantities of candy and other sugary goods from. Personality wise, she's as grumpy as she looks, and has a bit of a foul mouth- Something that's gotten her scorned by the townspeople of the Stair. She's quick to shout at those who treat her like a kid, but in the end, nobody can really trace where she lives, or any family she may have.
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:19 am

Many peoples' first impression of Asperel Brighteyes (Asp to his friends) is that of a child-sized person lying on his stomach with no fewer than three books of magic spread open about him. Sporting a singularly colourful set of robes, an array of pouches and, on formal occasions, a pointy hat, not to mention the presence of his familiar, Nora Ratsbane (a black cat), it seems fairly clear that Asp is a halfling wizard.

Personality-wise, Asp is bright, cheerful and possessed of a boundless sense of curiosity, with never a bad word to be said about anybody. If it weren't for his habit of pilfering small items, he'd be unconditionally likeable. As it is, people find it difficult to stay angry at him, and he'll happily return the item if somebody confronts him about it.

Asp seems to have joined up with the guild in order to see the planes. All of them. Especially the nasty ones. Asp himself comes from the Prime, and is happy to tell people all about his home, though he feels duty-bound to remind those who mistake him for a halfling that he is in fact something called a kender, and that there are some fairly fundamental differences between the two.

Those who have encountered both races would likely agree with him.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:39 am

Lorraine DiHammermoore appears to be a very relaxed, easy going woman. Her long, straight black hair is worn loose, covering her ears at most times, framing her starkly pale face, china doll face. Her dark green eyes are usually half lidded, and coupled with her always slightly upturned lips someone unfamiliar with her might mistake the expression for intoxication. She wears a darkened leather chest piece and leggings, as well as a pair of light cloth gloves, heavy boots, a sizable backpack and a belt with many pouches. At her side is a sheathed Greatsword, though rumor has it that she's a bit of a caster. She keeps a riding horse, and a pet hawk that rarely leaves it's favored perch on her left shoulder. She will not talk about where she came from; she prefers to change the subject, or to ignore the question entirely.

Apologies for the rough feel of this; It's nearly 5 AM, and I am very tired, yes.

Geesi
I fix problems.

Unread postby Geesi » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:09 am

From the look of him, Gulrd hasn't quite shed the look of a savage. Maybe it's the enormous bow carved from bone. Maybe it's his way of going around in furs in any weather, like he'll never be warm again. Maybe it's the scraggly red beard, or the snowy white owl following him around. It might be the lack of decorum, but no one can say he isn't willing to learn from a faux pas.

At any rate, this newcomer to the Guild is gregarious enough, never failing to turn down food, drink or really anything that is offered or to enjoy himself when he has the chance. He's taken a passion to reading and is more than eager to listen to anyone giving technical explanations of their craft. Also notable for some measure of patience, perhaps with street urchins and thieving wizards.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:04 pm

Vance stands at roughly six feet tall, and has notable long black hair, albeit a bit messy. He appears, at first glance, to be a rather typical "thug," for lack of better words--his large stature, the way he talks, regular drinking, and the mannerisms he typically adopts tend to reinforce this more often than not. However, a few things seem to not add up; between the massive poleaxe that he carries, which looks far too unbalanced for the average man to swing around--as well as the smaller halberd that he also slings across his back--, the numerous facial scars from what look like various slashes and grazes, the particularly heavy iron banded armor he wears almost everywhere underneath his gray outfit and cloak...the list goes on.

Insofar as things go, Vance refuses to tell anyone about his origins, or even why he joined the Guild, but however, has a tendency to alternate between fascination with the idea of the planes themselves, and smirking in an amused manner when the subject of planar travel is brought up--though again will not tell what he finds so funny when asked on the subject. Outside of that, he tends to deal with things rather directly, and notably seems to enjoy brute-forcing his way through a fight; occasionally one that he picks after an insult or other slight, even...

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:44 am

Well, that's everyone but Gus. Kelne and Doug, I still need to get your actual sheets, and Gus, I haven't seen you online recently, you still interested? I'll give you a day or so to get back to me, but if I don't hear from you in a while, I'm going to go ahead and start things off without you, you can be one of the two alternates. Sorry about that, but I don't want to delay things too long for the others.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:36 pm

Here be my sheet.

I'll get a description together once I get a chance.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:44 pm

...I can't wait for that, because you've already got me pretty curious, a Fighter with Noncombatant as a flaw. That should be interesting. :D

Also, I'll go ahead and catch you on AIM to send you some color on Fharlanghn outside the core books, in case you chose him from there rather than Greyhawk. Since you might be able to use it in your background and all.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:50 am

Just writing my character sheet now. Work has been exhausting this last week and I've barely had a minute to myself.

Edit- Ta-Da! - will finish description hopefully later today. Right now I need to go buy chicken soup and medicine. Damn colds...

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:24 am

Well, with Doug having sent me his sheet, I've got all 7. And thus, here's who'll be in!

Starting Lineup:
<ul>
<li>Gulrd Hyrtust (GC)
<li>Lorraine DiHammermoore (Bes)
<li>Lux Grevran (Gus)
<li>Shawn (Shini)
<li>Vance Sol-Kairu (Doug)
<li>Zant (Jak)
</ul>

Alternates:
<ul>
<li>Asperel Brighteyes (Kelne)
<li>Rosalyn LaChaille (Seethe)
</ul>

It was a horrible decision, figuring out which of the 7 to leave as an alternate, but I've finalized on this. However, as a special bonus, I do have an offer for you! If you're an alternate, then whenever the group is at Guild headquarters, you may CI there. You won't be a member of the arrangement mentioned in the first post just yet, but you will be able to interact with the other characters while they're at home base as a standard member of the Planewalker's Guild.

Now, the first post for the RP will go up as soon as I'm able. If there's any questions before then, feel free to contact me however!

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:48 am

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:18 pm

My computer is having connection issues and the one I'm using doesn't have AIM. So, could you send that information by e-mail instead?

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:45 pm

Updated my character sheet with description, and background!

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:15 pm

Sorry for the wait. Like I said, not much free time.

----

Rosalyn possesses the small, wiry build that is common among Seethe's characters coupled with dark-brown hair and the dark tan that would be expected of a girl who spends quite a bit of time under the light of the sun. Her face is no less youthful than one would predict given her 18 years of age and is best described as "cute" by the definition of most humans, though it tends to be a bit dirty more often than not. This is due to the fact that she spends most of her time out of doors and away from civilization. However, contrary to what one might predict from this, she is not actually a product of the wilderness, having her origins well within civilized territory.

Because the life of an explorer can be a dangerous one, Rosalyn has been well trained in the use of the tools of a warrior and possesses a greater level of strength than her stature may suggest. Battle, however, is not the purpose of her existence. She is, in fact, more than a little adverse to it, and the thought of melee combat is especially troubling to her. Thus, she lacks the aggression needed to fight effectively in close-quarters. She is, however, much more proficient in the somewhat less disturbing art of archery and is capable of wielding a bow quite well when necessary.

Unlike rangers, druids, and some barbarians, Rosalyn does not hold an actual divine reverence for Nature, though she does hold a healthy respect for it. She does hold a truly divine reverence, however, for the Unknown, inspired by the small sect of Fharlanghn-worshippers into which she was born. The members of this sect believe it to be their duty to explore the realms, collecting information about the many lands and legends therein. As those goals are quite like those of the Planewalkers’ Guild, it was inevitable that at least one of the sect’s members would join the Guild at some point.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:13 am

I hate to do this, but because I'm wanting to avoid this game dying, I'm going to enforce a post limit on it. I'm going to ask everyone in the RP to post at least once every two days or you'll be swapped out for one of the alternates. I'm willing to be flexible on this if there are extenuating circumstances for someone, but in general, I don't think this will be too much effort.

Now, if there's some reason people haven't been posting much, you can IM me or get in contact with me somehow, and I'm willing to talk things over, see if it's a problem that can be fixed. But if not, I'd urge you to post something, at least.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:56 pm

I am officially signing on as an alternate, having been invited to by Idran! I'll be playing Theller, a Raptoran Spellthief from the Plane of Air.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:55 am

Announcing a minor house rule for this game here, taken from the Planewalker.com Planescape 3e conversion. Knowledge(Planes) is changed as follows, to appropriately signify just how vast the planes really are:

KNOWLEDGE (Int; the planes)

The multiverse is vast, far larger than most primes can fathom. Studying every corner of the multiverse is impossible, and proper study in this field requires choosing a few planes to focus on at a time. For every four ranks in Knowledge (the planes) you must select a plane as a specialty, such as Baator or the Plane of Fire. This represents special attention paid to that plane's traits, layers, and inhabitants.

Check: Answering a question within your field of study has a DC of 10 (for really easy questions), 15 (for basic questions), or 20 to 30 (for really tough questions). The DCs listed below are reduced by 10 for any plane with which you have a specialty.

DC 10: You know the cosmology of the planes and the basic theories behind them.
DC 15: You can name the major exemplar races.
DC 18: You are familiar with the known effects of a plane (e.g. the maddening winds of Pandemonium) and common forms of protection.
DC 20: You are able to identify the most common inhabitants of a plane.
DC 20+CR: You are familiar with the basic abilities of the common inhabitants of a plane.
DC 25: You know which major organizations are known to have influence on a plane.
DC 25+CR: You are familiar with the habits and weaknesses of the common inhabitants of a plane.
DC 26: You know the elemental and energy traits of a plane or layer.
DC 28: You know whether the water of a plane or layer is drinkable.
DC 30: You know whether some of the material (such as plants or animals) from a plane or layer is edible.
DC 30: You know which deities are believed to inhabit the plane.
DC 30+: You know the histories of a plane’s major societies and cities.
DC 30+: You are familiar with any known risks from a planar feature.
DC 35+: You know the legends and lore of a plane’s hidden realms.

Action: Usually none. In most cases, making a Knowledge check doesn’t take an action---you simply know the answer or you don’t.

Try Again: No. The check represents what you know, and thinking about a topic a second time doesn’t let you know something you never learned in the first place.

Special: An untrained Knowledge check is simply an Intelligence check. Without actual training, a character only knows common knowledge.

As of now, this change only affects Lux out of the active characters. Gus, if you can post Lux's specialty for his first four ranks in Knowledge(Planes) the next chance you get, that'd be appreciated. I don't believe any alternate characters have 4+ Ranks in this skill, so it shouldn't affect any of you.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:01 am

Harrharr, im in ur arpee takin ur charicter slot.

Anyway. Joss Hunter is a young boy who looks like he might be in his early teens if you're really optimistic in your estimation. He has shaggy brown hair curling around his ears, and generally wears an open and friendly expression. Either he's enthusiastic all the time, or he just acts that way in public.

He tends to find reasons to loiter around all kinds of people at the Guild, and can usually be seen either on the fringes of a group listening to exciting stories or at the center of one telling stories that may or may not be true. One thing's for sure: Joss is a hero, at least in his own mind. If he has any reputation it's for being a somewhat typical young boy seizing the chance of a lifetime to explore the planes. A boy with an overstated heroic streak and unnerving intelligence that far outpaces his maturity.

Joss is generally good-natured when it comes to jokes about his height and (depending on the person) even his age. However, slights to his courage or doubts in his integrity are never welcome and depending on how offended he is, sometimes Joss feels a need to prove his resolve. Opponents in these situations will find Joss an honorable if relentless opponent, preferring to take on impossible challenges than bear an insult to his honor.

Much of this can be attributed to his homeland. Growing up in Olympus on Arborea tends to give a boy a sense of his own special destiny and the importance of unflagging honor. Joss seems human enough, but his origins suggest that this might not be entirely accurate and any who've cared enough to ask have heard from him that he's an aasimar. It's ...probably true, but it could always be a claim founded more in youthful bravado than fact.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:50 am

I could swear I already posted this, but apparently not!

I made my decision for the three replacement players: Neb, Spleen, and as both Kelne and Seethe are still unavailable, I invited Kai as you can see above. Hopefully you'll all have fun in this RP!

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:33 pm

I choose Outlands. Lux really wants to one day see the inside of the Library of Lore.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:50 pm

Huh? Unavailable? ... That's what I get for lurking, I guess.

I can only be contacted by the board, but I'll still see anything you PM me.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:02 pm

...Gah, wow, the one thing I didn't think of. God, I'm sorry, Seethe, but I hadn't seen you on AIM and the last post I saw from you was over a month ago, so I figured you were still swamped with schoolwork, PMing you didn't even occur to me. I just assumed you hadn't been by the board since then.

Man, I feel like a jerk now. :(

Well, all right, then. To make up for that, for now I think I can expand to 7. If you think you can keep up with the post per two day minimum, you're in. We'll see if I'm right; if I am, it'll stay at 7 after this run, and if not, it'll drop back to 6.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:58 am

Well, thanks for letting me in. In all fairness, I was a bit swamped, but Winter Break just started anyway, so I'll be able to keep up.

So, I'll go ahead and get started on my entrance, then.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:57 pm

Sorry, been staying with my parents for Christmas and haven't had time for a proper post. Expect one before I go to sleep tomorrow night (possibly even tonight if I get back to my own house early enough).

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:59 pm

New change!

I recently received Fiendish Codex I, and was reading through it, and noticed a reference to the Planewalkers Guild. It mentioned that members in good standing receive a +2 circumstance bonus to saves against environmental effects or planar hazards. Seeing as this seems entirely fair to me given the nature of the guild, I'm immediately applying it in this game. :D

(Page 110 if people want to read the reference to the Guild and the Infinite Staircase themselves.)

Next

Return to OOC RP Discussion