What's wrong with this picture?

A moderated forum for more thoughtful discussion.

Moderators: pd Rydia, LadyDragonClawsEDW

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

What's wrong with this picture?

Unread postby Archmage » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX7DFadY27k

Watch the video. Tell me what you think. Cross-posted from my LJ.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:32 am

For a minute there it was like an episode of The Smurfs, with them saying the word "chemicals" arbitrarily every few words. Sweating out toxins? Nigga, please. And if the treatment is supposed to be acclimating the kid to food substances, why in fuck's name would taking her off the treatment have ANY adverse effects? Shouldn't her tolerance levels simply stay where they are, having been, you know, built up and all? And why did we hear no mention of any sort of way to deal with histamines, which, presumably, would be at the root of this allergy, if that is indeed what the affliction is? Granted, some of those pill bottles might have been along those lines, but THAT would be the important part, not this sauna shit.

My mother being a nurse and all, I've been sort of brought up in the idea that HMOs are ohmygodstupidandbad. But in this case, their response to the claim-filing was entirely appropriate.

edit: Also, may I note that the Youtube comments for that entry are actually the most constructive and literate comments I've ever seen on Youtube.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:20 am

Umm...

About 1:30 in to it doesn't she say "I was not able to keep her alive because of I couldn't find any food she could eat?"
Did death become non-fatal at some point?

Other then that then.. yeah. What he said. And Wow. Poor kids. Poor Mom.
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:40 pm

Is there really anything at all to that "sweating out impurities" crap? It sounds like bullshit, but then again I've never seen studies one way or the other. Medical science has tested wierder things before.

I dunno. The idea of building up a tolerance seems plausible, but when they showed that miniature apothecary that woman had, I can't help but get the feeling they're dumping more on this woman than her daughter really needs. I mean, obviously she needs something juding from that whole eczema thing, but I'm not entirely convinced their approach is really the best one. They're apparently doing some good, though, since that problem only flared up when she stopped, but I'd kind of like to have more info regarding the duration of the treatment break. I mean, if the eventual goal is to wean her off of the treatment, it seems like having blood seep out of her legs whenever she stops is a bad sign.

I'll agree that there's definitely more chemicals in our food these days than there was in the past, but I really don't care for the generic treatment of the subject in this story. Even if they had just said "She's allergic to certain chemicals, like preservatives/food dyes" or something, it wouldn't bother me as much as just saying straight out "She's allergic to chemicals, and there's chemicals all over the food you eat every day THAT COULD KILL HER!"

BIOHAZARD ALERT OMG!

Edit: Also, if it wasn't for Xistove wanting to bang that little girl, I would have totally forgotten I was reading YouTube commentary.
Anime is kind of like fish in that it is better the less "fishy" it is.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:10 am

Brian noticed what I did. I thought Priam's evaluation of the comments was too good to be true.

Also, treatment sounds a little odd to me. Maybe someone with a different idea of how to fix things will step up after this got coverage? Assuming the video is recent.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:36 am

In my defense, this Xistove had not posted when I watched the video.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Return to Discussion Forum