With A Bang (Semi-Open Elemaer Board CI)

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu May 31, 2007 5:02 pm

Telerak turned around. "You're a vision, she won't be able to keep her hands off of you," he deadpanned. "Now are we ready to go? I pride myself on being on time for things, and you know as well as I do that we have a bit of a walk from here to the Temple of Air, especially because the cabs stopped running a half hour ago. We gotta skirt around the Fountain Square, too, unless you want to try our luck crowdsurfing across."

The crowd at the Square was indeed becoming ever thicker around Draea and Zeph. "How about one of those cakes, before we stop being able to move?" Draea asked the young lad.

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Thu May 31, 2007 9:01 pm

"Oh I so love it when you're patronizing."

He says with complete insincerity.

"I'm as ready as I'm going to be, I suppose, but it's just as well we're not supposed to show signs of our order tonight, I have the funniest feeling I would cause unintended trouble just trying parlor tricks."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu May 31, 2007 10:01 pm

Telerak laughed. "I don't think you gotta worry. She knows you're a Kradite, after all, and aside from her who matters? Don't try to impress her just with magic, though, whatever you do. You'll look like a nerd, and no one wants that."

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Thu May 31, 2007 10:13 pm

Keliel shakes his head.

"You don't even listen to me half the time, I swear."

He shrugs and walks for the door.

"So are we going or not?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu May 31, 2007 11:07 pm

Telerak shrugged as he strode to the door, following the mage. "You're right, I don't listen to a Krad-cursed thing you say. Everything out of your mouth sounds to me like...kind of a droning noise. Like bees. Like your mouth is filled with bees when you talk to me. Let's go."

That slightly surreal monologue made, Telerak allowed Keliel to lead out the door of the dormitory and to the nearest stairwell, where they descended to the ground floor of the Temple and left the building from the nearest exit, crossing the grounds and emerging finally onto the streets of the city of As'nar, the revelry heightening as night drew near.

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:21 pm

Keliel rolled his eyes in mock-annoyance as he turned away from his companion to lead the way out of the room. He lets Telerak lead once they exit the building, quiet as they draw closer to the commotion of the evening.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:53 pm

(OOC: Heh, Tel and Kel sound a lot like the two of us bickering, eh Spleen?)

"Nah, looks perfectly fine. Nice and casual, and at the same time very nicely dressed," she said, looking Arenda over, "Now, about your hair. We're going to have to do something about that, and quick. They'll be here soon." She reached for a hairbrush and gestured for Arenda to sit in front of her.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:38 pm

Being native As'nari, Telerak and Keliel were able to navigate even the New Years' crowd with relative ease, crossing the Edo River by way of one of the many smaller bridges across the wide span. Not far from that was the Fountain Square, which they avoided handily through skillful navigation of side streets.

The Temple of Air was still a bit of a walk from the Fountain Square, but the thinner crowd made it easier than the shorter walk from the Temple of Fire to the River. The twin towers of the Temple of Air were soon looming above the two Kradites, the sun dipping over the horizon over their shoulders.

"Ready?" Telerak asked.

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:05 am

"No, not even a little."

Keliel said, wondering if this was going to prove to be worth it. He figured that Telerak had just... Played along for the first date and he was more or less being cheated out of his original deal. Still, it probably would not be that bad. It would just be one less person in the world he could talk to in the long run, at worst.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:46 pm

Arenda quickly planted herself in the chair. She was definitely feeling the pressure of time now. The boys would probably be here any minute.

While she waited for Tur to fix her hair, she grabbed a case of makeup and began applying it.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:27 pm

(OOC: The girls can timeskip if they want like Telerak and Keliel did, or assume the guys haven't gotten there yet; my last post was a good 20-minute walk, so don't feel pressured to be at the same time as we are.)

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:04 am

Music.

Parades. Festivities and such.

To Avry'l Vancougar, all three were useless constructs that merely served to collect more fools in a smaller radius in a single night -- and then achieve in further blinding them from their own sickening frivolity with the help of alcoholic beverages.

Still, the very thought of finding someone...interesting amid the hordes of wasteful entities that so filled his vision at the moment excited Avry'l beyond belief. A standoff in the twilighta powerful gaze to someone who possessed unbelievable spirit within their mortal bones, or simply spying on someone so different from himself that it made the very action enlightening and exciting..all the voyeuristic thoughts running through his brain gave Avry'l all the incentive he needed to continue gingerly tiptoeing across the rooftops of the buildings lining the main road the festivities filled.

His gaze spread across the illuminated town, scanning for any sight of unusual characters or interesting beings. Much like the entirety of his existence, Avry'l was in the shadows, his icy blue eyes like tiny glimming crystals in the night as they probed the outside, scanning, ever searching...a predator in waiting.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:45 am

There is usually an audible "whoosh" that accompanies a Laethan using Air magic to fly, the sound diminishing to a whistling at very edge of hearing when the spellcaster is simply allowing him or herself to hover. Between the above-average hearing common to his Order and his familiarity with those exact sounds (being a member of the Order of Air himself), Avry'l was doubtless expecting to be able to detect any flying pursuit by sound alone, and so was not looking up.

However, some Laethans take their flying more seriously than others. A good competitive flier can dredge up, without looking at a single book, anywhere from seven to twelve modifications that can be made to any spell of flying, not counting his or her own personal secret spell formula. A particular pair of the aforementioned snippets, used in tandem, can reshape the pressure field around the flier to reduce drag in a race; this combination dampens the flying sound, as well. So girded, a flying Laethan can take to the sky and not make a bit of noise unless he or she is pushing the spell to the limit in a sprint.

Wind Guide Jagen Turlis was considered a promising young talent among competitive fliers, a "wing to be watched", as the lingo went. The fact that a significant chunk of his time in the air was spent in the near-frictionless cocoon of a competition-level flying spell meant that the basic spell of flying was, to Jagen, banal at best. So when Jagen took to the air on New Years' Eve, he did so in dead silence and with all sorts of little additions to the experience of flying.

So when Jagen caught sight of movement on a roof on one side of the Stone Road and shed altitude to investigate, the man on the roof didn't notice him until the two were in easy speaking distance. It took a similar stretch of time for Jagen to make out the facial features of the man - features he knew all too well.

"Out for a stroll, Mr. Vancougar?" Jagen asked from about three feet above eye level, intentionally and conspicuously omitting both Avry'l's proper title of "Wind Guide" and the respectful use of a fellow soldier's first name, or, possibly, denying the veracity of Avry'l's claim as a Laethan altogether by calling him precisely what would be polite to call him were he a layman.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:56 am

Avry'l looked up suddenly, and then made a strange expression as if he was having a trouble remembering exactly who it was he was looking at.

"Mr. Turlis..." Avry'l said at last, grinning, his shiny canines gleaming in the night. "How nice to see you again. I have to admit, I am indeed startled to see you out here on such a night. I would assume that a man such as yourself would have...how would you say...more important matters to deal with. Or has carousing always been a hobby of yours?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:04 am

Jagen changed his posture in the air slightly and dropped lightly to his feet, assuming the same casually haughty posture that Avry'l wore like he was born in it. "Oh, yes," he said. "I'm quite the carouser. Wine, women, and song. Of course, you know about the first of those, and I'm sure you've learned at least something about women from four stories above them."

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:15 am

"You can learn many things from watching." Avry'l said slowly, making eye contact Jagen as the man dropped down to Avry'l's level.

His facial expression was serene and unchanging, and the night breeze rippled through his dark cloak, almost mixing it in with the darkness.

"Wine, women and song...three things that are best ingested in calculated moderation, wouldn't you agree?"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:33 am

"Of course," Jagen agreed. "But it's New Years' Eve, and moderation and restraint go out the window. Look below you and you'll see that."

It is worth noting, of course, that as of that moment, Jagen's "wine, women and song" were merely hypothetical; he hadn't had any of the above yet that night.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:41 am

"Indeed." Avry'l stared at the flocks of partiers flooding the streets below. "For some reason, the average person seems to be drawn to such pastimes."

Avry'l turned briskly to Jagen. "While I enjoy the taste of wine, however, I do not much care for its side-effects. I live my life and intend to rise to even greater heights on nothing but my own raw strength and ability. Foreign substances are not in the equation."

Avry'l's eyes flitted back and forth as they scanned Jagen's face for any sign of expression. "What are your plans for tonight, though? Join the innumerable masses down there in their cowardly attempts to escape the torturous lives that have become their own?"
"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:31 am

"They're not escaping their lives, Avry'l," Jagen said. "They're improving them. Everyone down there is making new connections and strengthening old ones. Renewing acquaintances, friendships, relationships, marriages. Because if they didn't, they'd go insane. Like you. Personally, I was on my way to the show in the Fountain Square because I have friends there. Friends with whom I'd like to become better friends."

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:51 am

Avry'l's grinned faded for a moment, but slowly began to regenerate himself as he surveyed the landscape. "I feel quite sane to myself. But then again...new experiences can only serve to further my point." He chuckled strangely to himself.

"So be it, Jagen." Avry'l declared. "Don't allow me to keep you from your pressing engagements. Indeed, quite the contrary. I shall accompany you."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:30 pm

Jagen's eyes flickered for a moment in what he prayed to Laetha looked more like calculation and less like it was attached to an "oh, shit!" impulse like it actually was. Spending New Years' with Avry'l Vancougar was something like Jagen's interpretation of hell; for one thing, he couldn't think of anyone he knew, himself included, that actually liked Avry'l. Most people found him inscrutable at best and outright creepy at worst. Besides, Jagen still hadn't forgiven him for the fiasco of Aenre Island.

There was another impulse, though, one of pity that, like many of the thoughts in Jagen's head, took a religious bent. Charity was, after all, cited in the Sacred Texts as one of the criteria for being holy. To suggest a Vancougar would need alms was laughable, but Jagen felt that Avry'l was lacking in a different currency, one of human interaction. That's too sappy, he thought. The man needs to get down off this roof and be human for a change, and that's my good deed for the day. Laetha will thank me in the afterlife.

"Fine, you can come. Just try to be civil and polite, because I'm not certain I want to see your attempt at 'friendly'. Can you fly all the way to the Square from here or are we going to walk?" Avry'l would have to be at least slightly above average at flying to make the distance even as a Wind Guide, Jagen knew, and he wasn't sure where the other Laethan stood on that particular spectrum.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:08 pm

"Please, Mr. Turlis, do not belittle me." Avry'l smiled pridefully. "A distance of that measure leaves no challenge in its wake." He gestured toward the darkness beyond. "Lead the way."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:03 pm

"Allow me to renew my flight spell," Jagen said. He made some gestures and quickly trilled some syllables, feeling the pull of Elemaer's gravity that had just started bearing down on his extremities recede again. He patiently waited for Avry'l to cast his own.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:07 pm

Avry'l held two fingers up to his lips, also muttering syllables of the same sort. In a moment's time, he was slowly gliding up from the rooftop, his cape rippling in the wind.

"After you." he gestured sweetly.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:18 pm

With practiced, professional ease, Jagen turning a running start into a swooping half-dive, ending up at a cruising speed just over the highest obstacles in the airspace over the Stone Road, obstacles on this day played out in gaudy, festive colors. He twisted his body in the air so he could make sure Avry'l was following behind him.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:45 pm

Avry'l blasted off after Jagen, immediately acknowledging the man's speed and trying to match his speed as perfectly as possible, while not dropping in altitude either. At the same time, he also put much of his energy into making sure that Jagen was not aware that he was struggling at any of the above attempts.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:14 pm

Jagen backed his speed off enough for Avry'l to catch up and decrease the noise of the wind in his ears enough to hear if Avry'l had something to say. Besides, he knew Avry'l didn't compete, so Jagen knew that what he considered cruising was likely hustling for Avry'l.

In any case, he veered northeast over some of the lower buildings, making his way to the lit square. They were still out of hearing range of even the loudest band, though.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:22 pm

Avry'l noticed a significant drop in Jagen's speed, and for the most part, was generally relieved.

As Jagen turned, Avry'l did his best to make it as sharp as Turlis, but as he couldn't even remember the last time he flew this fast and had to turn, ended up making it wider than he had anticipated, and spent the next split-seconds correcting his angle so as to attempt to catch up with Jagen before he noticed.

Curses...Avry'l thought to himself. How much longer is it to the capital, anyway? If we go much farther, I'll be heaving and huffing like a fool by the time we land![/i]

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:56 pm

"We'll land here and walk the rest of the way in," Jagen called out to Avry'l when the drums were audible. "Bad form to fly in on New Year's, we're supposed to seem as normal as possible."

Jagen was doing quite well at dressing normally, although the picture of a chic As'nari twentysomething of the powerless population of the city was ruined more than slightly by his high-speed defiance of gravity. He was wearing a blue tunic and black vest over black pants, a blue cloak with black trim, and black boots. His shoulder-length brown hair was, as usual, styled into a ponytail, and his face was clean-shaven. His only armaments were a knife in his belt and something like fifteen different combat-useful incantations in his head.

He hadn't been paying attention to what Avry'l was wearing, and examined it more closely as the two of them landed on a side street a short distance away from the crowd that had gathered at the Fountain Square.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:43 pm

Avry'l alighted as quickly as possible next to Jagen, grateful to have that short spurt of exhausting flying over with.

Surprisingly enough, it seemed as if Avry'l had dressed up a little himself tonight -- even if it had been unintentional. Instead of his typical dark-colored cloak, tonight he was wearing a crimson leather jacket that tailed down diagonally out from his stomach, curling around his black leggings like a beast's tusks. It clung relatively close to his slender figure, and clashed well with his jet-black hair, which spilled like ink across his shoulders and down his black, full and thick. The jacket and its jarring color seemed to bring out Avry'l's red lips, as well as contrast with his pale complexion. In fact, if it wasn't for the cold aura seething from his icy eyes, he could be considered quite the lady-killer by some.

Avry'l stared ahead at the crowd with obvious skepticism. Look at them...being dragged from one spectacle to the next like a heard of sheep...sheeple, that's what they are... He smirked slightly to himself and let his eyes slide slowly over to Jagen -- a feat so unusual that it would make any normal person's skin crawl ever so slightly.

"Well then, where are these so-called friends of yours?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:28 pm

(OOC: Boy.. I knew make-up was a pain, but I didn't know it took this long to apply. = D Sorry, been away in the Motherland. Time-skip powers, activate!)

When Tur'nasus and Arenda were done, they made their way down the many flights of stairs to the ground floor. Tur had thought whether it would be too much to impress the boys, who were definitely at the front door waiting for them, if they just jumped out a window and floated the rest of the way down. That's how she normally got out of the towers, but today she felt like a little more discretion would be needed.

"Nervous?" she asked Arenda as they hit the ground floor.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:18 pm

The appointed meeting place was one of the handful of lobbies at the bottom of the Temple of Air's south tower. It was the one affectionately referred to by many Laethans as the "comfortable chair lobby", and was nearly filled when Telerak and Keliel sat down, knowing they still had several minutes before the girls would likely show up. Slumped in his chair, Telerak had shitty line of sight, and wouldn't be able to see the girls if they came in. "Kel, watch for the girls," he mumbled.

In answer to Avry'l's query about his friends, Jagen motioned toward the crowd. "In there. They spoke to me on the wind a little before I saw you and said they'd be hanging around the left side of the stage." Speaking on the wind was a natural part of being a Laethan.

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:17 pm

Avry'l stared toward the left side of the stage as indicated by Jagen, trying to pinpoint the Laethan's so-called "friends."

He wondered how much they would match the character of Jagen as he perceived it -- after all, people can be categorized by those they associate with. Would they be outspoken? Accomplished? Elites, perhaps? Avry'l was practically tingling with anticipation...

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:21 am

Nervous?

Arenda had been in such a rush that she hadn't thought about it, and so her nerves had calmed quite a bit. But the trip down the stairs had gotten her worked up again. Something in the back of her mind told her that she was sure to do something foolish, that her makeup wasn't on right, and that her hair wasn't ready. She had to struggle to resist the urge to mess with the makeup or the hair, though she knew that doing that would risk messing her appearance up for real.

Like Tur, Arenda would have flown down to the ground floor on any normal occasion, and so the trip down the stairs seemed to take forever.

Despite all this, Arenda merely shrugged at Tur's question and tried to look as calm as she could.

"A little," she answered.

As they continued on towards the Comfy Chair Lobby, Arenda was glad that place had been picked for the meeting. If the guys were already there and waiting, at least they were waiting in comfort. Unless, of course, all the chairs had been taken before they got there.

Entering the lobby, Arenda casually glanced around and waited for Tur to point out their escorts.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:25 pm

Once Tur reached the ground floor, she looked about. The lobby was quite well filled, as was to be expected on New Year's Eve night. It took her a little bit of effort, but she was an archer by profession, and a damn good one by her own reckoning, so spotting someone in a crowd was an easy task.

"Heh, looks like they're already there. That's good." She looked at Arenda, "Punctual. That's a good sign, girl." As for herself, she eyed Telerak, slumped in one of the many comfy chairs in the lobby. They were all rather plush and squishy, but firm enough to support any person. Tur walked up and around the seat Telerak and Keliel were sitting in, making sure to keep herself and Arenda hidden. Once she got quite close to the pair, she burst over in a little boost of speed and said, "Waiting for someone? I hope it's someone good looking, or I'll be offended."

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:54 pm

"Not someone, really, just the apocalypse," was the snappy comeback, intoned by Telerak as he got to his feet to greet the ladies. He offered Tur a hug that turned out, from his perspective, even more awkward than he thought it would. Am I squeezing too tight? Am I not squeezing enough? Is it appropriate to pat her on the back? Is she expecting a kiss on the cheek? Is she going to give me a kiss on the cheek? His mind was abuzz with those questions during the hug.

After it was over, he turned to the slim, blue-eyed brunette with the olive skin. "And this is the famous Arenda, I presume?" He smiled at the young woman, thinking as he did, This girl's way too cute for Keliel; if he messes this up I'm going to give him a black eye.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:01 am

Tur accepted the hug, noticing how awkward he was feeling. He was tense all over, and it seemed like he was attempting to do certain things, but it was over before anything embarrassing happened. Then as he turned to Arenda, she felt herself blush a little bit. She turned away before anyone noticed. What are you doing? This is just a joke date to make Keliel more outgoing. What are you doing getting involved? She stowed her feelings in a little black box in her mind and turned back to what was happening in the common room.

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:17 pm

"You presume correctly," Arenda answered Telerak while returning the smile, then shifted her attention to the quiet Kradite nearby. "And this would be Keliel, I presume?"

Arenda wondered whether he was the strong and silent type, or whether he was just as nervous as she was.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:18 pm

Telerak surreptitiously nudged Keliel.

(OOC: Just like I'm surreptitiously nudging this thread! :D!)

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:41 pm

Keliel rises with Telerak, and manages to avoid staring, just barely. Not so much because he was stunned by beauty or anything of that overly poetic sort, but more because he tended to keep his eyes open while he was thinking hard. Luckily he was also of the habit of keeping his wits about him under such circumstances, and managed to look more quiet and nervous than miles out of his element.

"It's a pleasure to meet you."

He managed, polite sounding, but unreadable, possibly due to the millions of things that could be read in the statement all getting in each other's way.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs