enchantedsleeper's Characters - in progress!

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
enchantedsleeper
Self-Confessed Roleplaying Addict

enchantedsleeper's Characters - in progress!

Unread postby enchantedsleeper » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:03 pm

Hello. :3 I'm new to both RPGWW and Philsys, and am currently experimenting with my first character sheet. (Red Letter Day!) So I'll be updating this thing constantly as I complete my sheet.

Character 1 - Essie/Nekaro/Zen/Niawa (he has several names)

So far:

Courage 3
Wisdom -1
Intuition 3
Charisma -1
Agility 8
Dexterity 5
Strength 0
Stamina 4
Magic Aptitude 0

Stat Points Spent 21
Maximum Hit Points 75
Maximum Mana Points 10
Maximum Technique Points 31
Initiative 9.5
Strength Based AT/PA Bonus 14
Dexterity Based AT/PA Bonus 19
Magical Attack 2
Magical Block 19
Missile Evasion 29
Starting Skill Points 24

Skills

Hand Crossbow - Int+Dex*2 +0|8+2d4|2 RANK: 1
Dagger - 4,7,9|+1/-1|0.25 RANK: 2
Throwing Weapons (Dagger) - Agi+Dex*2 -1|8+Str+2d4|2.5 RANK: 4
[s]Balance [Agi = 2] RANK: 2
[s]Stealth [Agi/Agi/Dex] RANK: 3
[s]Pain Resistance [Sta=2] RANK: 2
[s]Two-weapon Fighting - [Dex/Dex/Str] [Dex=3, 4, or 5] RANK: 3
First Aid [Int/Dex/Dex] RANK: 1
Escape Artist [Dex/Agi/Int[ RANK: 2
Feint [Agi/Agi/Dex] RANK: 2
Horse Riding [Cou/Dex/Agi] RANK: 2
Disarm Trap [Dex/Dex/Int] RANK: 1

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:51 am

First of all, I see right off the bat that you've chosen to give this character penalties in Charisma and Wisdom. While this is not in any way wrong or illegal or a bad idea, it can be difficult to play well, especially since the penalties you gave are in mental stats. I play two characters with Charisma penalties - Seryntas in PS/Freestyle with a -1 and Gillet Tarrym in D&D with the equivalent of a -1 - and I tend to spend a lot time asking myself "Are they showing too much social aptitude?" With this character, you'll have to ask yourself that question and the very odd question of "Is he showing too much intelligence?". Also, having such a low Wisdom will make it hard on the character in the future, when his ability to gain skill points at higher levels is severely stunted. You may be prepared to accept this, and that's fine. But forewarned is forearmed, and I thought I'd give you the heads up.

Also, as far as skills go: It is accepted as necessary to include skills on your sheet that reflect what your character does outside of combat. On the aforementioned sheet for my character Seryntas, despite the fact that he is only comfortable in a fight and totally inept in social situations, he has several skills that show his non-combat passions and the things he knew as a youngster: dogs, raising cattle, getting drunk, etc. Definitely include skills on your sheet to make your character a complete person, as well.

I don't actually know enough Philsys to know if your math looks good; your math isn't complete anyway, so when that's done I'm sure someone with a better handle on it will take a look and give you a yea or nay. I'm assuming the odd bits around your weapon skills will go away when you calculate AT/PA and damage and whatnot for real. I do know that since your MAG = 0, your MP should be 0 as well; likewise, you shouldn't have MAtk listed. Besides that, wait for the sheet to be done and I'm sure PS GMs will be around to double-check your math. They're from the internet. They're here to help.

If it seems like I'm only pointing out the bad parts of the sheet thus far, I'm very sorry, but I'm sure I'll have great things to say when you have a background and stuff up for us to look at. As it is, it's very hard to give you a paragraph on how you used 21 stat points in the proper way, you know?
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

enchantedsleeper

Unread postby enchantedsleeper » Tue May 08, 2007 1:46 pm

It's cool, I'm really grateful for the criticism ^_^ I'll reply to your points in order:

Yeah, I know the wisdom thing is gonna be really hard to play, and I'll constantly be asking myself about that one. In fact, now I think about it, it wouldn't kill me to take a point off agility and put it on wisdom. But the charisma will be fine, trust me - in other (freestyle) roleplays I've done, I've always been asking myself, "Is he showing too little social aptitude?" I've always played a guy who's kind of uncommunicative and rude for no apparent reason. Don't ask me why x3

As concerns those other skills: right now I have no idea what to put for those. *sweatdrop* What I've written down so far is just pretty much the basic skills and personality traits that my character normally has. I've not got the slightest clue what his history is, because that stuff all depends on the setting, and I haven't read all the info on the world of Gaera yet. Once I figure out what he's been doing with his life up to this point, hopefully I'll have more of a clue. But really, what kinds of other skills are there? I have a feeling I'm going to have trouble on this one. ._.

Isn't my maths complete then? What else do I have to do? As for any discrepancies, *throws hands up* don't look at me. I just inputted my chosen traits into this calculator thingy and pasted what I got out into this thread.

I probably won't finish the sheet off for a while, since I have exams right now. But I will finish it.

Geesi
I fix problems.

Unread postby Geesi » Tue May 08, 2007 2:59 pm

First, unending gratitude for wanting to read the setting details before settling in on the crunchy backstory bits. It's not necessary to memorize every last detail (especially playing a character lacking in worldly knowledge like this one), but y'know. Gonna look silly if he can't tell his Hydrante from Hydraxis.

That said, personality is a lot more fun and (in most cases) a lot easier to punch out first, yah? A basic overview of that on the sheet goes a long way; there are a couple of threads in this subforum about it.

As for skills! what's he do for a living? Anybody who stands a good chance of getting injured on the job would benefit from knowing a bit about first aid.

What's he do for fun? This is a goldmine for flavor skills. Fishing, gambling, classic literature, heroic catchphrases, hunting are a few examples.

What's his living situation? Somebody without a lot of money would benefit from a Bartering skill even without being a merchant; somebody who lives alone will get some mileage out of Cooking without being a cook.

These things don't tend to come up in an RP (and they're certainly not a requirement), but make for a nice touch nevertheless. Plus it's hard to hate on a guy, rude and uncommunicative or no, if he can make the most delicious potatoes known to man.

enchantedsleeper

Unread postby enchantedsleeper » Tue May 08, 2007 3:04 pm

Yeah, I was just going through this stuff with Kai. Since it barely ever comes up in rps, I've never figured it out before. At the moment my character doesn't actually have any hobbies, particular interests, or anything. He never earns money either - always tends to kind of mooch off the people he's travelling with. x3 So obviously, yeah, that needs work. I figure I'll wait until my exams are over before I get down to stuff like that though, because it would require me to know a whole lot more about the setting than I do right now. (I mean, Hydrante? Hydraxis? What??)

Woot, my tenth post x3

Geesi
I fix problems.

Unread postby Geesi » Wed May 09, 2007 12:19 am

Sweet. As long as you know, it's cool. :D

Also, Hydrante is a city in Gaera, where Hydraxis is an NPC in World of Warcraft. Knowing everything about both is therefore crucial to living a meaningful life in the world as we know it!

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Wed May 09, 2007 9:39 am

Right.

Return to Character Closet