Chapter One: The Sons of Doma

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:24 am

"Yessir." The guard slowly backed away, and set things in motion.

The air highways were somewhat packed with other airships, but they still managed to make good time. It was roughly a half a day to travel to Kohligen, though this would be about a week's journey on horseback, and nigh impossible on foot. The captain of the zeppelin pointed out famous landmarks along the way, in an attempt to be a decent host.

When the ship finally reached the port at Kohligen, they docked and let the three off. Kohligen was a beautiful city, with lovely buildings and plenty of parks. There was a reason they called this city the "cultural center of Gaera," and it showed. There was much to do on the streets.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:08 pm

Emil smothered something he appeared about to say, but the frown was still apparent on his face. The ride was at an end--now for the doom to commence.

"Well. I suggest we walk about a bit, stretch out legs, and then find ourselves a bit to eat somewhere. Plenty of time to overhear of the local people and current events? I'm afraid I've never been to Nagra, so I'm a bit ignorant."

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:43 pm

Edwin nooded with a grunt. The double-glaive had, on the trip, been meticulously disassembled, leaving a long staff on Edwin's back and the two glaive-heads hanging from his belt, behind a leather holster for a dagger. The heads were not completely concealed, but at least they would be beyond normal notice for most people.

"There seem to be a great many things to see here, Where are we to...re...gather? Reconvene, that's the word, yes!" Edwin struggled briefly with his stated lexical mission--his odd speech did not appear to be natural; he had to work at it.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:57 pm

"I don't know. Never been here before, remember?" Emil responded irritably. "Don't know what restaurants or landmarks there are."

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:02 pm

"Probably a good idea for us to stick together" was Bart's reply. "Its either that or get ourselves lost, I figure." As it was, it was time for Bart to start getting himself into the swing of things, and as such he started to hum as he took in the sights.

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:36 pm

The city itself was quite lovely. Bart walked by a local inn and tavern, The Jade Horn. Walking among the streets were people wearing the ceremonial garb that scholars of the Gunnir Academy wore. There were a lot of scholars here. The market sprawled ahead of Bart, full of carts and people.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:09 am

Emil eyed the carts warily. There were a lot of carts. Oh yes, oh so many carts. But no. Not even a cart could follow him here from Doma.

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:23 am

Luckily, none of the carts here seemed to have it out for Emil. However, when he walked by one fish cart, it almost seemed like one of the fish flopped around to stare at him...

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:11 pm

Suddenly, Emil blurted,

"Guys, let's not eat fish."

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:02 pm

"And whyever not?" asked Bart. "They're healthy, and damn tasty when you cook em just right." Bart looked for a moment as if remembering the Holy Grail of Fish just a second. "Unless there's something about the fish you know about that I don't?"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:03 pm

"I don't like fish," came the curt reply.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:09 pm

"Now, let us not question our fellow's intuition! It is a precious insight that is more than our reasoning can understand, and we should not simply toss it aside. There shall be no fish for us this night!

"Now, then. Shall we establish ourselves somewhere, a sort of meeting spot for later in case we are separated? I am not exactly sure how long we are planning on remaining here in this fair city, and if we are to spend more than a night here...." Edwin's gesticulations indicate that he had more to that sentence, but decided halfway in to let its implications speak for themselves.

pd Rydia

cripes, 4 days! frown

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:02 pm

Emil grunted. Not one, but two boons from the unlikeliest of sources--fishlessness and a good idea.

"We passed by someplace called...the Jade Horn, I think? How bout that? It was that way." Emil waved. "It's the only place I can put a name to, at this point in time, anyway.

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:50 pm

"Eh". Bart shrugged, clearly not caring too much one way or another. "They're all good to me, so long as the food ain't poisonous or something."

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:48 pm

"It is decided, then! Jade Horn, be prepared to receive these patrons!" Edwin uttered, boisterously but not too loudly, as he strode off back in the direction they came, back towards the agreed-upon inn-and-tavern.

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:14 pm

The Jade Horn was a fairly nice establishment, and it was also fairly normal as well. Well, except for the tree. There was a somewhat large sized tree growing out of the ground in the middle of the serving area. People walked by it, not caring that it was there.

The local bartender looked up from scrubbing the table. He was a tall, musclebound man, who was completely bald. Either he shaved his head or he just had too much testosterone in his system to ever grow hair. This was a moot point, as he wasn't about to reveal the details of how and why to the group. He smiled a big, toothy smile.

"Howdy, y'all. My name's Mac, welcome to the Jade Horn." He carefully indicated a sign that read "No fighting, please."

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:07 pm

Having wandered around the city on his own for a while, enjoying some precious time alone, Emil wound his way back to the Jade Horn. He nodded to the bald bartender as he was greeted at the door, after suitably staring at the tree growing in the center of the inn to show this was not normal. He couldn't read the sign the man indicated, but the stick figure drawing underneath the words made its meaning clear enough. Finally, Emil located Edwin and worked his way over to the guardsman.

"Haven't been waiting long, have you?" he asked without a great deal of interest as he seated himself. "I just went about for a look at the town. Nice place."

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:53 pm

"Oh? What has your investigation revealed?" Edwin regarded his compatriot with a look of some mixture between curiosity and eagerness, which quickly was dismissed in favor of using those same muscles to chew on a hunk of some sort of meat.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:47 pm

"Not a lot," Emil answered truthfully. "It's a nice place. Lotta folk in funny clothes--Gunnir students, it'd seem. They don't take well to being told how ridiculous their clothing looks." He shrugged. "There are a lot of bars.

"What about you? Find out anything interesting?"

Nakibe

Feh. I need to post faster.

Unread postby Nakibe » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:04 pm

"This place seems to have a fair number of patrons." Bart wandered up to the table from wherever he had just come from. By the drink in his hand, its quite likely that place was the bar. "And considering the food hasn't made Edwin here gag just yet, I'd say that's a good sign." Sitting down, he quietly asked "Well, I suppose this is going to take a few days, regardless of what we do. Anyone adverse to making this place our base, at least for today?"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:40 pm

"It seems the least rowdy of the places I passed," Emil responded. "Not so sure about that tree, but so long as it stays where it's rooted this seems as good a place as any."

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:45 pm

Edwin grunted around a faceful of meat, and thereafter took another bite. Apparently that was a sufficient response, in his opinion, or perhaps he was merely demonstrating his approval for the choice.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:22 pm

{{ofuck that was the edit and not the reply button!}}

While his table manners may not have been all that different from Edwin's, the priest's display was somehow infinitely more annoying than it had any right to be. Deciding that his tablemates weren't going to be of much help this evening, Emil took this opportunity to make his way over to the bar. Laying crossed arms against the bartop, he listened to conversations while waiting on the barkeep.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:46 am

Whilst the barkeep was having sight issues, Edwin finished his meat chunk, and stood from the table. "Well!" he spoke loudly to no one in particular, "onward with the mission!"

Having so announced, he exited the inn, and walked up to the nearest passerby who did not look specifically busy. "Excuse me, my good man! I am new in this town, and I am told there are many great sights to see in the area! Do you have any recommendations?" He beamed as charismatic a smile as he could muster.

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:30 pm

The person that Edwin accousted blinked once or twice, then grinned widely from ear to ear.

"Well, buddy, I could ask you the exact same thing. I came here to make a sale, but now that that's done, I get to wander around for a day or so. I just came from the Museum of Arts, which was pretty nice. I don't really get that much into the artsy kinda stuff. This place is a nice place to visit, but I'm not so sure I wanna live here."

He thought for a second. "Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. William Ironclad, Professional Blacksmith, Onetime Farmer, Inpromptu Animal Doctor, and Potential Scientist." William held out his hand.

----

Emil finally got the attention of the barkeep. "What can I do for you?"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:21 pm

"Well, mate, I'm thirsty and hungry, so I thought I might come over here to get a bit of drink and food. Whatever you think's good and on the affordable side, I'm on the traveling budget."

Emil stretched his arms, careful of the crowded conditions, and let out a sigh. "I heard this is a great place to visit, but I gotta admit--I'm lost. It's quite a bit different from home, as you might imagine." Technically true. "If you've any advice on the best of the old and new to check out while I'm here, I wouldn't mind a bit of direction."

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:14 pm

Mac held up a finger, then got Emil some cheap beer and a cheaper-looking hunk of meat. Fortunately for him, it wasn't fish. Mac thought for a moment. "There's a ton to do around here. There's a bunch of schools here, they recruit for Gunnir Academy. Also, there's a few museums and stuff like that. But...if you want to actually have fun..."

At this, Mac lowered his voice. "If you go to the western sections of town, there's plenty of stuff to do. Especially for travelers...on a budget."

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:14 pm

Edwin's ears perked up, and his eyes widened, as he took the man's hand and shook it enthusiastically. "Edwin Grier, Smith by day, servant of Numian all day long. A pleasure to meet you, it is! You're a scientist, you say?" His smile was of a completely different nature from before--it had an element of fascination. Perhaps this is what Edwin's smile looked like when he wasn't forcing it.

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:23 pm

William shook his hand after Edwin's enthusiastic handshake, to restore bloodflow. "Yeah, I just got accepted into Gunnir. I figure soon I'll be inventing new zeppelins and revolutionizing the world." He laughed in such a way that Edwin couldn't be sure if he was joking or if he was serious.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:47 am

"New zeppelins?" Edwin asked, rhetorically. "Oh, ah, I see. Yes, yes!" he said, his demeanor calming, becoming somewhat less enthusiastic. "Well, good luck to you in that, then! Ah, and where is the Gunnir recruitment?"

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:23 pm

Emil nodded acknowledgment at Mac and took a large bite of his Not-Fish. Deciding that he was hungry enough for even cheap meat to come out tasty, he nodded again, this time in presumed gratitude.

Speaking through his food, he asked "Anything particular you'd recommend, or special--" He swallowed his food down with some beer. "--special, hm, etiquette to observe?"

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:22 pm

"Well, I'd be careful what you say and to whom. The chance of an...accident...happening increases pretty fast if you piss off the wrong chap." Mac nodded sagely.

-----

William pointed down the street. "Can't really miss it. Big sign, 'Be The Best You Can Be at Gunnir!' sign. You thinking of applying?"

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:56 pm

"Er, well, I mean....of course!" Edwin emphasized his improvised conviction with a grandiose gesture. "Why, I am a man of many talents, and it would be best if I were to put these skills to use!" He nodded, punctuating the statement. "It was good to meet you, sir, but I must be going! Time waits for man nor god!" And with that, he marched back to the tavern.

Previous

Return to Other RPs