Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
InquisitorChris

Re: Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat May 22, 2010 6:31 pm

I like a lot of the RH careers, although most (not all) of them are the kind of things that could only be taken in this campaign if the Inquisitor doesn't know about it and would probably lead to rapid player death (would be an interesting RP experience though).

I'm thinking of using the rules for moving and firing with auto weapons in RT. Why not?

PS Matt are you buying that charm? Let me know so I can deduct Tnrones and add it to the cheet.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat May 22, 2010 8:40 pm

I'm a general fan of incorporating the small differences in the RT rules into DH. Except the WP based psychic power rolls. I like me my thresholds.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sat May 22, 2010 10:04 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:I like a lot of the RH careers, although most (not all) of them are the kind of things that could only be taken in this campaign if the Inquisitor doesn't know about it and would probably lead to rapid player death (would be an interesting RP experience though).

I'm thinking of using the rules for moving and firing with auto weapons in RT. Why not?

PS Matt are you buying that charm? Let me know so I can deduct Tnrones and add it to the cheet.

I'd think if you had a radical Inquisitor you could easily play some of the careers in the RH book.

Oh, Chris.. I am going to buy the charm. You want me to come up with the form? I'm thinking a little bracelet.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat May 22, 2010 11:41 pm

helvorn wrote:
InquisitorChris wrote:I like a lot of the RH careers, although most (not all) of them are the kind of things that could only be taken in this campaign if the Inquisitor doesn't know about it and would probably lead to rapid player death (would be an interesting RP experience though).

I'd think if you had a radical Inquisitor you could easily play some of the careers in the RH book.

Oh, Chris.. I am going to buy the charm. You want me to come up with the form? I'm thinking a little bracelet.

Sholmes isn't a radical though. I could still see a character taking some of the advancements in secret. Probably wouldn't live too long though. Imperial Diviner might be acceptable.

You can have the charm for free unless it's something that would logically be expensive. Game effect is close to zero.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sat May 22, 2010 11:49 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:
helvorn wrote:
InquisitorChris wrote:You can have the charm for free unless it's something that would logically be expensive. Game effect is close to zero.

A small silver charm bracelet set with small Imperial Aquila; picked in a shipboard shrine on the voyage from Terra.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat May 22, 2010 11:54 pm

I added it to the character sheet.

BTW, unfortunately I don't think I'll have the opportunity to call you; I found out that I have to spend the next few days doing work (why can't I have a normal vacation like everybody else?), then I spend the last half of next week in San Diego, then fly back to Moscow Saturday.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sun May 23, 2010 12:08 am

InquisitorChris wrote:I added it to the character sheet.

BTW, unfortunately I don't think I'll have the opportunity to call you; I found out that I have to spend the next few days doing work (why can't I have a normal vacation like everybody else?), then I spend the last half of next week in San Diego, then fly back to Moscow Saturday.

Sniff, sniff... I'll muddle through :)

No sweat on the meet and greet. Actually my wife thinks all you guys are imaginary so actually meeting a few would prove her wrong.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sun May 23, 2010 12:18 am

We're like the girlfriend in Canada.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon May 24, 2010 2:24 am

Hmmm, I guess Gordon/Leveticus is overburdened at work like he was last week. If I don't get a post for him tomorrow, I will assume the character is quietly observing and go onward.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon May 24, 2010 3:02 am

That's the guy I meant before about not having an account, just messed up on who it was. Well, I'm crossing my fingers that it'll turn out well for him :o

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon May 24, 2010 3:15 am

He's on here -- he has a post on the previous page. I think he's just really busy at work (I know the feeling!).

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Mon May 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Sorry I've been so quiet, guys, I really haven't had much to contribute to te discussion, and my weekend has been really busy. I've also let Chris know I'll be at the local sci-fi convention Friday and Saturday and cannot garantee my ability to post that weekend until Sunday. Once MARCON is over, my next period of uncertain posting will be the Wednesday through Saturday of ORIGINS, as I am co-GMing a historical recreation of the battle of Khe Sahn with a friend whose coming in from Conneticutt. I will attempt to stay current during those periods.

Just because I'm not posting, that doesn't mean I'm not reading what's going on. The trick I've found is sometimes being able to differentiate what I (the player) knows from reading, and what I (the character) knows.

During the lull before our briefing, Brother Leveticus will be trying to gain the measure of the team being assembled.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue May 25, 2010 12:44 am

My apologies for speaking lies, I'm glad you're back on!

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue May 25, 2010 1:20 am

Now it's my fault! I have to meet a deadline tomorrow, so I'm working like a maniac into the very wee hours. I'll be back tomorrow. Why can't I be independently wealthy? Why? Why?

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue May 25, 2010 3:04 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:Now it's my fault! I have to meet a deadline tomorrow, so I'm working like a maniac into the very wee hours. I'll be back tomorrow. Why can't I be independently wealthy? Why? Why?

If you figure that out pass on the wisdom :)

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue May 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Take a page from Games Workshop and learn to turn lead into gold.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue May 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Except GW isn't doing that well... their one good source of income, Dark Heresy, they sold for some god-unforeseen reason.

They should just make away with all their stores, they have too many of them. Take a leaf out of Magic/Pokémon/whatever TCG and have coaches going around to clubs and helping people get started.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue May 25, 2010 3:51 pm

I think that the core problem with the tabletop game is that you need to spend hundreds of dollars to have a tournament capable army.

And then you need to assemble it and paint it. Which isn't bad, from a hobbyist perspective- it's just a massive hurdle to getting people to invest in the game.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed May 26, 2010 1:47 am

They should've released the LoTR game pre-painted, at least the Mines of Moria. Sub-quality figurines, like Battle for Macragge (the latest 40k startbox is actually pretty good, still sub-par to the 'real' models though). Then, if you wanted Frodo to have a pink cloak, then you could've painted it.

I agree with you that the hurdle is simply too massive for casual players, but there are ways of getting around the cost and buying stuff fairly cheap. Compared to many other hobbies Warhammer isn't deadly expensive (I have a friend who has a horse, that's a MASSIVE deduction to her bank-account), but it certainly prevents young people from really getting into the game.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed May 26, 2010 6:22 am

ChristianC wrote:Except GW isn't doing that well... their one good source of income, Dark Heresy, they sold for some god-unforeseen reason.

Black Library figured that it was more economical to pump out even more badly written novels every year then support a niche game that technically only needs one book. I'm guessing the sales of WFRP didn't help either. So they axed Black Industries and sold the licenses off to FFG. This decision was made just before the pre-ordered Dark Heresy Core books came out. The same books that sold out in a matter of days. DH was the 2nd biggest selling RPG in Q2 2009, D&D taking the top slot of course. Still, it's making big money for an RPG. I imagine that Deathwatch will be ever more popular. We all know how much everyone loves space marines, after all.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Don't you mean... Spees Moreens?

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Wed May 26, 2010 4:58 pm

GW tends to market toward the younger gamers any more, we veterans seem to have been kicked to the curb. It used to be I would send out a parts order to their Bitz Dept. on a regular basis, which is how I ended up with an extensive bits box full of parts, sprues, etc. Now, I might order the occasional model, because most of the sprues I might order can't be gotten any other way.

The codices are geared entirely toward tournament play, and they have been marketting steadily larger games. Apocalypse, Planetstrike, and now Spearhead demand massive armies, and vehicles. some of which can only be purchased from Forge World (hugely expensive resin models + overseas shipping). The idea of the skirmish, which they have lip service to of late, seems forgotten.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Wed May 26, 2010 5:05 pm

I don't even bother playing any of the games at the stores. I just stick to games with friends.

The other annoying thing is the constant churn in army lists and rules. I understand why they are revising things; to make you buy more models but it still sucks to have your favorite model get "obsoleted" because it no longer is in a codex.

matt

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Fri May 28, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm back from SD, so I'll get a post in later today (after everybody else goes to sleep). I'll be back home on Sunday, so things will be back to a more normal schedule.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sun May 30, 2010 11:26 pm

Zzzzzz...... :mrgreen:

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon May 31, 2010 8:10 am

Whew! Am back home after my day-long voyage and jetlagged as hell. If I read the absences thread properly, Alex/Snide is currently absent (?).

Anyway, we'll be able to get going at a good clip now that my Odyssey is at an end.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon May 31, 2010 1:13 pm

Welcome back to chilly Russia! Let's get this show on the road

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon May 31, 2010 6:19 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:Whew! Am back home after my day-long voyage and jetlagged as hell. If I read the absences thread properly, Alex/Snide is currently absent (?).

Anyway, we'll be able to get going at a good clip now that my Odyssey is at an end.

Just for a few days. Was attending a friend's bachelor party on Saturday (literally all of Saturday) and have been out of action until late Sunday.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Mon May 31, 2010 11:29 pm

To answer Chris' question as to how each of us became involved in the Inquisition...

I figured that Kara was recruited directly out of the Schola Psykana on Terra following her sanctioning. It's pretty boring but it means that other than her time in the Schola she's not had a chance to interact with more mainstream Imperial society. It makes it more reasonable to play her Primitive trait.

She came directly from Terra to the island.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:51 am

Hmm, let's see...

I assume Chani was picked out during her brief but intensive career in the guerriero; i.e. she performed admirably (killing heretics and doesn't afraid of anything) and the inquisitor happened to be in the area. Fate, most likely, played together with luck in order to have her recruited into the Inquisition's folds.

As for how, it was a pretty anonymous thing. She was called into her superior officer's office, where the Inquisitor was either present himself or, more likely, he had sent a representative who briefly told her about the work she would be doing and then had her shipped off after making sure she wasn't going to stab anyone to death. She knows very little of the Inquisition and what they do, but she knows her skills are needed and she is ever the servant of Him above.

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:33 pm

How Brother Leveticus was brought into the Ordo Xenos was something I figured out when he was being created. Being a particularly young man, what brought him to the attention of the Ordo occurred during his first posting after graduating from the seminary.

As he was born and raised on Scintilla and studied at one of the most prestigeous Chantries, the Ecclesiarchy saw fit to post him upon one of the more primitive worlds in the Sector. By primitive, I'm figuring the world is in the ballpark of the Late Renaissance to Early Industrial Revolution. Most people still use horses ('lords and swords', as I believe a previous post phrased it). This was done for the same reason newly minted FBI agents are shipped off to postings early in their career that take them far away from familiar surroundings.

Not all the Imperium is composed of gleaming cities and hive worlds, many are places whom barely know what a lantern is, let alone a glowstrip. All of them, though, need to see that the Emperor 's servants are there to help them along.

He stumbled upon evidence of a cult worshipping a four-armed death god, and started an investigation. Leveticus co-opted aid from the local lord and organized his own team, (recruited from the local population) to help root out the cult. He sent his preliminary report back to his superiors, via an Astropath. The report caught the attention of Inquisitor Shirlock, whom arranged to send a real Inquisition team to take care of matters.

As a result, Brother Leveticus and his ad-hoc team were used in a support capacity as the Inquisition cleared out what he was told was some isolated xeno-cult. Once the matter was resolved, Brother Leveticus was recruited for the Ordo Xenos.

He and his crew would have looked more at home in a game of 'Mordheim' as a Witch Hunter gang, as much as they would have been in 40K. I could imagine his miniature as being a bearded man in long robes with an Aquila clearly displayed, brandishing a torch in one hand and a shotgun in the other. Brother Levticus I picture being a scholarly sort whom is of a mind to pay attention and listen, and act resolutely when the need arises.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:49 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:
As he was born and raised on Scintilla and studied at one of the most prestigeous Chantries, the Ecclesiarchy saw fit to post him upon one of the more primitive worlds in the Sector. By primitive, I'm figuring the world is in the ballpark of the Late Renaissance to Early Industrial Revolution. Most people still use horses ('lords and swords', as I believe a previous post phrased it). This was done for the same reason newly minted FBI agents are shipped off to postings early in their career that take them far away from familiar surroundings.

How about Iocanthos?

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:34 pm

I'd have to read up on that. If Locanthos is where you want to place that incident that works for me.

What do you want to do with the ad-hoc crew he assembled? If they were recruited its likely the group was broken up and scattered, as their experience would benefit several teams at that point. Its also possible they now work for the Ecclesiarchy on Locanthos. Should the game take us there, they could be encountered or act as allies.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:32 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:I'd have to read up on that. If Locanthos is where you want to place that incident that works for me.

What do you want to do with the ad-hoc crew he assembled? If they were recruited its likely the group was broken up and scattered, as their experience would benefit several teams at that point. Its also possible they now work for the Ecclesiarchy on Locanthos. Should the game take us there, they could be encountered or act as allies.

Iocanthus is where the adventure at the back of the core rulebook takes place -- your standard sci-fi Road Warrior technobarbarian world.

It's highly highly unlikely the current adventure will take you there, but maybe in the future...

You mentioned before possibly using them as beta characters. What I did when I ran part of a different verion of this scenario before (with Snide, as a matter of fact) is draw a replacement character from the local population of the planet that the Acolytes had called on to act as a guide. I think that worked out pretty well (maybe he can comment). We can cross that bridge when and if we come to it. :)

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:09 pm

That was the single worst day of Harlem's life. Snatched by the Arbites, got to play guide for a bunch of people who clearly thought he was scum and sent off to some swamp. Things got really bad from there on out.

Replacement characters can be an issue and being able to conjure up some local knowledge when filling a character slot is always handy. The only book I've seen that gives the matter much thought is Dead Stars. It has at least 4 different ways of replacing dead acolytes mid-mission and one of them being quite peculiar indeed.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:25 pm

If I recollect correctly, he ended the first day on the job with 13 Corruption Points, a Malignancy, a Wild Ride on the Perils of the Warp, and a lethal encounter with a shock maul that he had to burn a fate point to get out of.

Good times, good times. :cthulhu:

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Sounds like a Workman's Comp claim and a lawsuit from OSHA to me.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:44 pm

The Holy Ordos do no know this Workman's Comp of which you speak. A servant of the God-Emperor accepts his fate stoically. :kirteach:

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:59 pm

Indeed so. A faithful servant of the God-Emperor accepts his wounds as part of his duty. Praise be to The Emperor.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 pm

Thank you sir, may I have another?!

PreviousNext

Return to OOC RP Discussion