Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Jak Snide

Re: Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:27 am

InquisitorChris wrote:OOC: Goddamn it, the computer ate my post (I hit "save" rather than "submit," and can't find it now). It's 3:30 in the morning here, so I'll sleep on it and you'll all be getting the briefing in the morrow. (I was waiting for gsteelwraith's clarification to continue.)

Go to the User Control Panel (top-left) and click "Manage drafts" under the Overview tab. Your post should be there and intact.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:44 am

Jak Snide wrote:
InquisitorChris wrote:OOC: Goddamn it, the computer ate my post (I hit "save" rather than "submit," and can't find it now). It's 3:30 in the morning here, so I'll sleep on it and you'll all be getting the briefing in the morrow. (I was waiting for gsteelwraith's clarification to continue.)

Go to the User Control Panel (top-left) and click "Manage drafts" under the Overview tab. Your post should be there and intact.

Done! Thanks.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:31 am

You can also hit "Load" in any posting form and it'll load up any draft you've previously saved, I believe.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Could I get a little information on the daemon that possessed Kara? (It might matter!) Its general personality, allegiance to one of the Four Biggies (if any), etc.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:00 am

InquisitorChris wrote:Could I get a little information on the daemon that possessed Kara? (It might matter!) Its general personality, allegiance to one of the Four Biggies (if any), etc.

The daemon is named Ilibaugam. It is not a combat oriented daemon but rather feeds off of despair and dark passions of humans and other sentient creatures. It either works behind the scenes of a small cult to manipulate them into depravity or it will outright possess a human, preferably a psyker and work it's cruelty directly. Basically it is a clever manipulator that patiently weaves a web that will eventually allow it to burst forth in an orgy of torment, temptation and ultimately damnation and destruction.

It doesn't directly serve any of the four Powers but might be a combination of aspects of Tzeentch and Slaanesh.

When it possessed her it used her powers to amplfy its own. It wasn't a matter of warp lightning and crude fire although it used those powers; mostly it worked with subtle torments of the mind. The whole process was pretty nasty and only a lucky strike with a blessed spear wounded her deeply enough to give Kara the chance to shake off the daemon.

Kara was not possessed long enough to be truly warped but the process had started. She was pretty before the incident but had started to be transformed something otherworldly. Eventually she would have been twisted into a daemonic shape similar to a daemonette but had not gone that far. I used the term hauntingly beautiful to reflect some subtle changes that linger in her appearance. She's not obviously warp-touched or she would have been destroyed on the Black Ships but she catches the eye. Also some of her fey attitudes are due to the stress of the sanctioning but also some of it is left over from sharing her head with a creature from the Warp.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:27 am

I must take this moment to say that I really like the touch of Kara having been possessed, and the details you put into the daemon. It's always cool/creepy to have something like that lingering around the campaign.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:02 am

ChristianC wrote:I must take this moment to say that I really like the touch of Kara having been possessed, and the details you put into the daemon. It's always cool/creepy to have something like that lingering around the campaign.

Thank you Christian, I'm glad that I can add something to the game. I'm trying to strike a balance between the grim reality of the background fluff on psykers (you all go mad, death and mutation awaits you) and daemons (they'll warp you into Chaos spawn as soon as they look at you) and being able to play a character that's actually useful, fun to roleplay and brings something to the game for the rest of the players.

Hopefully I can continue to strike a balance between odd/creepy and fun. Also I've found that a good GM will take that extra effort you put into a background and weave it into the game to make it more interesting. With any luck 'interesting' won't be; "Kara's daemon comes back, possesses her and then blasts the rest of the party into goo."

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:46 am

helvorn wrote:
ChristianC wrote:
Hopefully I can continue to strike a balance between odd/creepy and fun. Also I've found that a good GM will take that extra effort you put into a background and weave it into the game to make it more interesting. With any luck 'interesting' won't be; "Kara's daemon comes back, possesses her and then blasts the rest of the party into goo."

I like to think I'm better than that! :mrgreen:

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:00 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:
helvorn wrote:

I like to think I'm better than that! :mrgreen:

Well, if I blow a Perils of the Warp roll sufficiently bad and turn into a powerful Daemonhost the party might just end up as goo.

Actually, I'd expect something delightfully twisted from you :cthulhu:

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:06 am

gsteelwraith wrote:
OOC: If you wish I'll be using a '<>' when I'm borrowing part of a post to juxtaposition my own. As for quotes, I'll simply write them verbatim, with standard quotation marks opening and closing Brother Leveticus' actual statements.

That's fine with me. You can't access the quote function? It's up there at the rop right hand corner of the post you're answering.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:09 am

Basically you simply write quote within []'s, you don't even have to state who you're quoting, and end them with quote with the typical slash to show you're ending it [/].

And yeah, I'm expecting nasties alright :D

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:07 am

Killing the entire group would be a massive waste. Chris made it abundantly clear in the last game that there are fates far worse than death. A moment of silence for Arbitrator whats-his-name, a man for whom death was mercy.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:55 am

Yea, in this setting you could get dragged off somewhere unpleasant by something out of your nightmares or worse. Ugh!

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:31 pm

Arbitrator Regis bit off more than he could chew.

I am working furiously all night long trying meet a deadline (hooray!); I'll try to get a post in later.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:38 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:Arbitrator Regis bit off more than he could chew.

I intend on playing Kara very conservatively with the psychic power rolls. One daemon possession in a lifetime is enough!

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:54 pm

That's fine with me. You can't access the quote function? It's up there at the rop right hand corner of the post you're answering.[quote][/quote]

Up until now, I hadn't actually tried the button. I'm not sure what some of them do, so I hadn't tried experimenting with them.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:10 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:That's fine with me. You can't access the quote function? It's up there at the rop right hand corner of the post you're answering.

Up until now, I hadn't actually tried the button. I'm not sure what some of them do, so I hadn't tried experimenting with them.

You just highlight the text and hit the button.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:08 am

You don't even have to highlight the text, actually.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:58 am

Hi guys,

I've read through the rules for Space East India Company, er I mean Rogue Trader, and Lure of the Expanse. Have you had good experience with the system in a play-by-post format?

Also, I've been thinking about starting a game of Call of Cthulhu using the classic rules system and one of the advantures from the old The Stars Are Right collection. Would any of you be interested in that?

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Heh... original CoC brings back some memories. I'd be interested but it would depend on timing and my RL workload at the time.

I've got the RT rules but haven't done more than skim them. Certainly a fun idea for adventures and a bit more high powered to start off than DH.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:03 am

InquisitorChris wrote:Hi guys,

I've read through the rules for Space East India Company, er I mean Rogue Trader, and Lure of the Expanse. Have you had good experience with the system in a play-by-post format?

There's a game running here right now. Both Christian, Zero and myself are taking part in it. It's still early days (we've had trouble with disappearing PCs) but there's no reason why it can't work well. Play by post is certainly an asset when the group makes decisions which take weeks of game time but only a few rolls to be resolved. I'm running Lure of the Expanse (in a slightly bastardised form) myself, but that's via IRC. I've got a message board set up for that group as well to take care of some of the scheming between sessions so we can focus on the "action" during proper sessions. It's a damn fine adventure and (actual spoilers about the book here now )
Spoiler:
the Eldar give the GM unparalleled opportunity to indulge in typical xenos dickishness. Hulk a system boat of lost human civilization, pin blame on explorers. They're going treasure hunting on another world? Attack their lander with strike craft, have them crash in the middle of a battlefield. I might let the players take Hatred (Eldar) as an elite advance after a bit more of this.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Gordon's probably busy with the real world right now, so if we don't hear from him soon I'll move things forward (i.e. the Inquisitor will order some course of action).

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:21 pm

I heard from Gordon on another board that he had a hard drive crash and is just now getting back up online.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:46 am

Yeah, he sent me an email telling me that and asking for a link to the game. So he should be here pretty soon.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Good to hear. Still, hard drive crashes are never fun. Precious data lost and all that. My commiserations, chief.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:43 am

:O Good luck retrieving what is, if any, lost

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 pm

I hope you have an air conditioned apartment and office Chris. Sounds like things are smoggy and hot in Moscow.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100728/ap_ ... g_and_heat

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Moscow is horrifically hot. I pray for this to end -- the hot streak has gone on for over a month now. I have no AC. :zoidberg:

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:03 am

The fires and smoke/smog along with the heat must be horrific in Moscow and the nearby areas. I hope you're staying healthy Chris!

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:43 pm

It's like living in a city-size crematorium. The air reeks of smoke and my chest hurts.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:40 pm

I bet it helps you get into character for Dark Heresy though. :c00lisar:

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 am

I live on a Death World...

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Ugh... for a fact.

Sounds a bit like what we had here a few years ago with the brush fires in the mountains around us. We had heavy ash and smoke in the air. Not as unbearably hot as what Chris is suffering through though!

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:01 am

Can of you guys answer something?

I've been readind Damned Cities -- great adventure, wish I was running it. Anyway, a lot of the NPCs have some skill called Athletics. What the heck is this? Was this a skill introduced in some errata I haven't seen?

Also, would anybody be interesting in starting a Rogue Trader game? I've never GM'd anything on that grand scale, but I think I could make it work.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:10 am

I'm not aware of an athletics skill but it would make sense.

As for Rogue Trader; I've got the book but haven't read it. I understand that the characters are a lot higher powered starting off which would be fun to try. I'd be in for it.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Athletics pops up as "Athletic Mastery" in Ascension. It's the Mastered Skill which represents all sorts of physical endeavours. My guess is that the people writing Damned Cities also worked on Ascension and Athletics should read Acrobatics instead.

As for Rogue Trader, I'd love to run another game, but this is one of those situations where my desires exceed beyond my ability to fulfil them. It's not too daunting a game to run, mind you, but all involved need to realise early on that the players define their own destinies. The GM needs to let them forge their plans (and pray that they don't sit idle) and then construct adventure and adversity after taking them into account. Not that he can't (or shouldn't) throw plot hooks their way, but freedom is the spirit of the game. Orbital bombardment, large scale military assaults and wanton use of dangerous xenotech are all perfectly valid options.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:02 pm

I'd like to apologize for Chani having so little to do here -- she's all slashy-slashy and this part of the game is all talky-talky. She'll come into her own later in, never you fear. :)

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:40 am

InquisitorChris wrote:I'd like to apologize for Chani having so little to do here -- she's all slashy-slashy and this part of the game is all talky-talky. She'll come into her own later in, never you fear. :)

Don't. Chani's in fact not all slashy slashy, as I thought I made obvious in my first posts. I just kind of lost momentum for a while, but it seems the game's on now! :D

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:12 pm

I got the impression she was pretty balanced between action and social skills.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Indeed, I tried to make something more than just a trained killer... but it's hard to go against the nagging urge that says "who gives a hoot about social, we're all going to face horrors man was not meant to face anyway"

PreviousNext

Return to OOC RP Discussion