Mood Music

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Christian
Dead Stompy

Mood Music

Unread postby Christian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Hey, let's start a thread of non-RP specific discussion!

Namely, what's your mood music for roleplaying?

I'll begin by citing my first venture into the field being the Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption Soundtrack as my very first soundtrack. It's not extremely good, but it did have a suitable amount of medieval / modern music to use, and you must always start off somewhere.

The Baldur's Gate games, Planescape : Torment and especially Arcanum (I love violins) influenced me greatly when picking sounds to GM too, and I began to choose specific songs for what I had planned. Fable has some VERY good songs to round off with, especially the darker ones.

Recently, in my Vampire : The Masquerade campaign I begun a month ago, I've been trying to implement real-life hits after being particularly influenced by the Watchmen film. I started using Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson, Classical Music (violin symphonies of Mozart a particular favorite) and something that's called Absolute Music (don't know if it exists outside of Sweden), which has released a TON of albums over the years and present very time-specific one-hit wonders. Since my campaign's in 1997, that's excellent for me.

Finally, I recently stumbled upon Nox Arcana, and that... That is amongst some of the best mood music I've ever heard. They have songs for EVERYTHING, and even if you can't find something specific, there's so much generic moody music to make up for it. I really recommend these guys.

Anyway, what about you guys?

Jak Snide

Re: Mood Music

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:24 pm

I've recently been using Lustmord for Dark Heresy, along with general dark and atmospheric music. For D&D I've used the Eberron Soundtrack a few times. I believe that it came with a supplement concerning the city of Sharn.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:00 pm

I create playlists for almost all of my characters. Many of them are uploaded to imeem.com so that I can listen to them away from my computer, and link them to others, but not all of them are up there yet.

But yeah. It depends really strongly on the character in question, though I tend toward a lot of movie and anime soundtracks just because they're what I listen to most frequently.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:55 pm

I really don't listen to music while role-playing. I dunno, never thought to do it to help get in the mood, though it's an intriguing idea. Although Spleen, at table-top games of D&D, does pull out the official D&D soundtrack. Spleen and I have also used sounds we've found online to help supplement the mood in RL campaigns. We once had a group trudging through a swamp, so one of the DMs found this recording of sounds you'd find in a swamp, and as they walked into the swamp, he came walking out of his room with speakers. Immediately set the mood. We also play with a guy who gets really into it sometimes. He really started freaking out.

Ben Smash
Imperial Windbag.

Unread postby Ben Smash » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:55 pm

I really really REALLY love the broken saints soundtracks, by tobias tinker. I also highly reccomend Pelican, Red Sparrowes and Souvenir's Young America. All instrumental stuff. All very grandiose and sweeping. It helps me create a theme in my head. However, I have no idea what I'll listen to when running the Planescape game. Probably the Fallout soundtracks.

Oh and Victoire! Cellists, hot, every one of them. Music's good too! :mrgreen:

Return to OOC RP Discussion