Does the Capital City Doma have a public school system?

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Taiar

Does the Capital City Doma have a public school system?

Unread postby Taiar » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:45 pm

And if so, how many schools exist within the system? Do the children of the slums attend the same schools as those of the wealthy? And what do they learn? How far along is education? I think it would be out of the question to be learning Physics, but maybe they learn some basic magical theory since it is so integral to life here?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:24 am

I know that at one point, a few years back, it was quietly assumed that there was some kind of school system or other in Doma. My character Feisal was put into it by Fresca and Kyle, right after they adopted him. We never really talked about what he would learn there, though.

Shada was the child of nobles and was tutored privately, and I had her learn so very basic chemistry as a result of that; She knows a very small portion of the real periodic table, she doesn't know any atomic weights on those, I'm pretty sure. I have another character who knows high school level physics, but he's also a mage and almost forty years old, studying all manner of things privately.

My guess is that children would learn how to write Doman characters with pieces of charcoal and/or ink quills, math as far as division and multiplication... history? I wouldn't expect to see social studies, or science of any great significance... I'm not sure they'd learn magical theory either, actually. As I understand it, even in Doma there are enough people who aren't gifted with magic and who don't use it regularly that it's not really integral. At any rate, not as a child. Maybe it would be taught at a secondary school?

Anyway, done rambling for the moment.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:54 am

Yeah, there's accepted but not-fleshed-out-at-all schooling in Doma. Some basic "learn to read and use numbers" schools along with tradeschools.

As for magic, an analogy I've used before is "Magicians in Doma are about as rare as a good baker. Now, it's possible someone could, through sheer will and effort and research, bake a passable loaf of bread. But, to be good enough to do it many times a day, along with more complicated goodies (donuts, etc.) takes a real rare talent and drive that not everyone is born with."

At least, I think it works well.

Return to OOC RP Discussion