Dark Heresy: A WH40k RPG

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Jak Snide

On Fate Points and Imperial Ethics

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:47 pm

Since someone has just made their first use of fate points it'd be an appropriate time to discuss them. The five uses of fate points (as well as burning) are detailed on page 185 of the rule book, but I'll repeat them here for ease of reference.

Using a Fate Point allows you to do one of the following:

-Re-roll any failed test. The result of this test is final.
-Count as having rolled a 10 for initiative.
-Add an extra degree of success to a Test.
-Instantly recover 1d5 wounds.
-Recover from being stunned.

Your fate point pool recharges at the end of every mission, adventure or escapade, whatever you wish to call them.

Burning a Fate Point permanently reduces your score by 1, but it allows you to avoid a gruesome death, but only just. For example, a lascannon shot that would have otherwise vaporized you instead leaves you on 0 wounds, horrifically burnt and unconscious.

If you want to use a fate point for a test you'll have to specific in advance that you're willing to do so. For example:

Mikolas is engaged in an arm-wrestling match with an ork in an attempt to get his comrades and himself out of a tricky situation. He declares he wants to use a fate point if he fails his opposed strength check. If he fails to beat the ork on the first roll then he gets to roll again and his temporary fate point pool is reduced by one. If he succeeds on the first roll his fate points are unaffected.

Adding an extra degree of success to a test will also have to be declared in advance. If you fail the test you won't get any success at all, of course, but nor will you use up a fate point. For all other uses either state so in a post, or IM/PM me.

And now for something completely different.

While browsing fan-made wikis for useful material (not much so far) I came across an article on The Ethics of the Imperium. It's a good read and might help give you an idea of why the workings of the Imperium of Man can be so harsh at times. I highly recommend at least skimming it.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:11 pm

A web-errata was posted, and as such I'm relaying it to you.

Link

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:30 pm

After spending well over half a day scanning and uploading it, I present to you the Inquisitor's Handbook. All of the material within should be suitable for players to know about, and I encourage people to take a look.

Edit: Download Mirror on my own webspace.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:38 pm

Small bit of errata: Kelne and I have discovered some poorly worded rules concerning ranges in the core book. As such, I'll clarify them here.

-Short Range: Up to and under half your weapons' range. Gives a +10 bonus to hit.
-Standard Range: over half the range of your weapon and up to double it's range. No penalty to hit.
-Long Range: Over double the range of your weapon and up to triple it's range. -10 penalty to hit.
-Extreme Range: Over triple the range of your weapon and up to quadruple it's range. -20 penalty to hit.

Edit: Due to this thread hear I've realised I was incorrect. Range info has been amended.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:28 am

Well, as I mentioned in a previous edit, I'll be joining up with this campaign. I'll present my character 'Mits' in-game, but I'll be playing an Imperial Guardsman.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 am

:c00lisar:

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:54 pm

A couple of new house rules for the game.

-Weapon load outs: The four ranged weapon slots on your character sheets limit the available weapons you can have on-hand. Furthermore, only two basic weapons can be carried at any one time. Those new kit bags are for lugging around the rest of your stuff, whether moving across a district or getting shipped to an entirely different world.

-Extra-Specific called shots can be made (neck, knee joint, foot etc) at -40 to hit. Any talent that reduces the difficulty of regular called shots also reduces the difficult of these as well. While difficult to land a well placed shot could potentially bypass armour and, in the case of vehicles, cause a lovely explosion upon hitting the fuel tank.

Also, welcome to the game, Christian. I hope you enjoy your stay. :D

Oh, and lastly: :c00lisar:

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:04 am

Also, houserule that Jak determined: Handcannons need custom silencers made for them. The standard 10-throne silencers will not work for those, overriding the basic rulebook.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:26 am

Glad to be here, Jak. Glad to be here. *chortles*

Well, hope you all will come to get along with Mits. :) I've been reading the backlog for a bit and I'm just thrilled to be on the team.

Here's for surviving to the next mission!

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:31 am

You read the backlog and you think our characters get along?

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:41 am

I... well, you haven't...

Well, you survived, right?

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:04 pm

Alright, because of a slight misunderstanding, I thought we were on the ship currently.

Mits is very thorough. And clairvoyant. =P

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Apologies to all for a lack of a GM post. I've been waiting on Christian to post, seeing as Mithras' actions might change what everyone else decides to do. I'll post on Tuesday if he isn't online, though.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:53 pm

Well, I'm back, working on a post at this very moment.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:08 pm

Most excellent! Good to see you back online.

Oh, and check your PM inbox.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:50 pm

Aww. :(

Poor Scabs.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Apologies for absence.

Apparantly going without Internet connection for one week is enough to put me out of the loop. I was literally overwhelmed by suddenly being online again, which made it impossible for me to do anything more than play World of Warcraft.

Now to post.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:11 am

While I'm back in England for a bit, I'm not going to be rejoining the fun just yet. Since I might be afinternet for a while once again starting on Friday, I'll let Jak continue NPCing me.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:11 am

You back in London, or swanning about down in Cornwall? I'll make sure Xerxes remains gruff and (thanks to lovely IP gain) withdrawn until you get back into it.

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:31 am

In London until Friday morning. I'm going to pop around one day (either tonight or tomorrow) but I gotta get moving on my packing.

Jak Snide

BONUS ROUND

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:44 pm

So, I've been reading the Unknown Armies book recently, and I've found some stuff I rather like the look of. Nothing that will have a mechanical impact, but stuff that might help you get a better idea of how your character ticks. I've already bothered some of you with bits of it, but here's the deal: I'm gonna post a questionaire of sorts. No long answers required, just a few words and choices. Respond via PM or post depending on whether you want the other players to have such insights into your character. Bonus XP will be awarded for those that give me the information I crave.

---

What is your character's:

Obsession: What do you live for? This is what defines your existence, the thing that gives life meaning.

Fear: What do you fear the most? What makes you run like a cowardly grot, the stink of panic erupting from fevered skin?

Rage: What makes you lash out in blind fury? What is the one thing you must destroy, surpass or overcome, in whatever form or persona it manifests.

Noble: What inspires you to be the very best person you can be? For what would you make sacrifices, risk your life and endure terrible suffering for?

Next up are five domains of madness, standing (reasonably) alone from the existing insanity point scheme which measures how close you are to your mind shattered from the sheer horror of the things you've seen. Each list has 3 sections: examples of stressful situations rated in severity, failed notches (you get these when you fail to deal with stress) and hardened notches (which you get when you shut off your emotional responses and become callous). You can have both failed and hardened notches in the same stress.

Violence
Unnatural
Helplessness
Isolation
Self

---

It is likely that your character will be perfectly sane in some of these categories and, perhaps, will lack an obsession, fear and so on. Don't feel pressured to invent one if you don't think it exists.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:13 pm

As some may have noticed, I've turned sporadic in my posts.

This is only a slight disturbance in my study schedule that sent the shit straight towards the fan at the speed of light.

Unless state otherwise, Mits is brooding, dark, hard-boiled and mysterious.

I'll try to keep up with my posts on major events, but for now I sadly don't have the concentration I need to make anything worthwhile in CI.

As always, if I'm not online on AIM, just send a PM over RPGWW and I'll get back to ya.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:40 pm

Noted. Good luck with your troubles, chief.

Jak Snide

NEW ERRATA RELEASED

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:45 am

CLICK HERE

It's far, far larger than the previous release and deals with alot of issues. All the new stuff is highlighted in red. One of the most notable things is that all bolt weapons now have the Tearing property, making them remarkably more deadly.

Edit: It also addresses some material in the Inquisitor's Handbook.

Edit #2: Some changes I thought I'd highlight.
-Changes have been made to the advances available for all careers.
-Frenzy has changed: it now gives +10 to Weapon Skill, Strength and Toughness but -20 to Ballistic Skill and Intelligence while it lasts. It also makes you immune to fear, stunning and fatigue, though you may not parry, retreat or flee and must use the All-Out Attack action as often as possible.
-Quick Draw applies to pistols, basic weapons and one-handed melee weapons.
-The Accurate quality has changed. Rather than granting +10 to hit it now grants an extra 1d10 damage for every two degrees of success when taking a single shot, up to a maximum of 2d10.
-As mentioned before, all Bolt weapons now have the Tearing property.
-Man-Stopped bullets now increase the Pen of a weapon to 3, rather than adding to it. They can now also be used with hunting rifles.
-Obscura now costs a 10th of what it used to. Time to get addicted.
-Unnatural Aim now applies a +30 bonus, rather than "counts as being made at point blank."
-Rules concerning semi and full-auto fire with Scatter weapons clarified.
-Rules for fleeing from combat made more explicit: you try to move out of their melee range using anything other than disengage and you provoke a Standard Attack of the 1/2 action from them.
-Rules for using pistols in melee combat clarified.
-Fatigue damage from Unarmed Combat changed.
-The Irontalon pistol, while still quite awesome, now has the Primitive quality.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:37 am

Due to being swamped with project/homework due dates and an incoming Computer Systems test this Wednesday, if I do post, expect it to be very high in brevity.

I apologize in advance.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:39 am

Some person was nice enough to make a pdf of the errata-corrected career advancement tables. Each table is also organised a great deal better than the ones in the core book.

Remember to press ctrl+shift+minus to rotate it into a viewable state.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:41 pm

Nah, Jak, it's cool, I'm not remaking my post. I think the tumbling around with the car and the urgency of the enemy close at hand will distract Mits for this round.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:51 am

A couple more house rules:

-Ammunition for bolt weapons is now 3 per bolt as opposed to 16. A full magazine for your standard boltgun will now cost 72 thrones as opposed to the previous (and ludicrous) cost of 384.
-Firebombs are stupidly effective for their cost. They now have a Pen of 2 as opposed to their old value of 6 (which was twice that of a flamer) and are now liable to break should they suffer physical trauma.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:38 pm

But on the upside they double as emergency booze and a free rag never hurt anyone.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Not to mention that the rag, too, is soaked in booze! That's... that's... that's a double ration of emergency booze!

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:50 pm

That it is! Of course the stuff burns something dreadful on the way down, and that's not even when it's ignited.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:32 pm

In Chris's latest post, he denotes an attempt at non-lethal methods of dealing with a heretic. This is unacceptable and I move that he be disbarred from further adventures, lest his insanity and disregard for The Empire spread into others.

:c00lisar:

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:36 pm

D:< Mein gott! What was I zinking?

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:37 pm

Surely he wishes to capture a heretic so that they might be scourged of their sins before being dispatched to the Emperor. Truly he is a compassionate soul, forgiving and kind despite the injury he sustained at their hands.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Compassionate and kind?

Oh no no. I just want to interrogate.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:48 pm

By keeping them alive, you're sparing them from the Emperor's final judgment.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm not going to keep them alive after questioning! What kind of bleeding-heart liberal do you take me for?

Ben Smash
Imperial Windbag.

Unread postby Ben Smash » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:34 pm

hey all! Just wanted to say a quick hello! :zoidberg:

I'm the fellow volunteering his fresh blood to this game. I'm a rabid 40k Fluff buff, and I GM Dark Heresy games here in Chicago. Right now I split my time between doing absolutely nothing, looking for work, and painting my Blood Angels and Dethskullz armies.

Have you guys discussed the different inquisitorial philosophies yet?

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:46 pm

Hey there and welcome aboard. For those I haven't informed, Ben will be joining the game. First by assuming control of Xerxes, and then with a new character when the next mission comes around.

As for Inquisitorial philosophies, they haven't been touched yet. The acolytes are very much ignorant to the greater workings of the Inquisition at this stage.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:22 pm

As it should be.

Knowledge is power, hide it well.

alternatively;

Faith, Hate and Ignorance.

Welcome aboard, Ben, hope you'll enjoy our motley crew of... uh...

Disassociatives?

PreviousNext

Return to OOC RP Discussion