Question: Your most troublesome RP character?

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Question: Your most troublesome RP character?

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:53 pm

For a majority of my characters, I have no problem getting into character:

Daniel - Nice guy all around, a bit high strung, sometimes a bit too preachy about morality, devoted friend and family man.

Stephan - Is of the mind that much of the world is full of corruption, especially the people in it. Distrustful and rude to strangers, but can be kind and considerate to people and causes he cares about

Midoku - Shy and softspoken, yet exceptionally curious. Friendly to those he knows well, though his significant other often brings out his less-than-cheerful nature when it's necessary.

And the list goes on. However, there's a character I have nearly as old as this trio, who I've never been able to settle a set personality type on.

Jonas Kilmett - Werewolf husband and father.

Sometimes, I've played him as a softspoken, hardworking family man. Other times, as a loud, "man's man" type. Other times, as an angsty, self pitying whiner. Much as I've tried, he's my one character that I can't seem to "Get into" properly. When the time comes when he's needed, I find myself fumbling for things to have him do. Maybe someday, I'll finally get the inspiration I need to cement it down, but it's been a trying process over the years.

So, that's my own story of a troublesome character. How about the rest of you? Any characters who give you trouble, or still lurking in the character closet awaiting finishing touches?

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:55 pm

Oh, god.

Seryntas.

His mode of speech is difficult to get into and I have a bitch of a time keeping it consistent; it's more rustic than any of my other characters, and underlines the fact that he is my least educated character. I can only very rarely nail his personality properly; this actually isn't as bad as it might be, because his personality changes from minute to minute because he's got some serious mental defects (see Tarrasque vs. Gaera for the best portrayal I've ever had of Seryntas). Plus, I always have to ask myself if he's being too personable. It's way easier when Darkknight is playing Xiao Long, possibly the only living person who Seryntas is comfortable with, because he feels anchored around her. Seryntas is also the character who's gone through the most changes since I've created him, which probably contributes to this.

Ake Tanner (Gaera) and Telerak Zekail (Elemaer) are the two characters I have the easiest time finding the voice of. Neither are Mary Sues, but they both have ways of expressing themselves that are very similar to my own, and personalities that are like my own (except more sociable and far more goal-driven). Boreas (Metro City) and Cole Camber (my tabletop D&D group) are also easy, but I have to work a bit to reign in the senseless and suspension-of-disbelief-breaking zaniness with which I have a tendency to play them, especially Boreas. Gillet Tarrym (Gaera, The Savage Tide campaign) and Niranjan Kandadai (Strangeness in New York) are my two most believable serious characters, and keeping them such takes effort.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:37 am

I have problems with Anion, but that's largely because he has an agenda which is very difficult to advance while he still exists. One can only do so much finagling in that regard.

Milo sometimes gives me problems because he's way more social than I will ever be, and so he necessarily does things that I don't quite understand how to do. But that is a thing I have learned to operate with a sort of given error threshold, because otherwise RPs are very, very difficult to enter into; even CIs. One cannot enter into an ongoing conversation without a certain amount of nosiness or outgoingness.
"You haven't told me what I'm looking for."
"Anything that might be of interest to Slitscan. Which is to say, anything that might be of interest to Slitscan's audience. Which is best visualized as a vicious, lazy, profoundly ignorant, perpetually hungry organism craving the warm god-flesh of the anointed. Personally I like to imagine something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth, Laney, no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote. Or by voting in presidential elections."
--Colin Laney and Kathy Torrance, William Gibson's Idoru

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:37 pm

Yeah, it always surprises me a little in the back of my mind when Ake or Boreas or one of my others butts into a conversation that they have no place in and no one tells them to mind their own business. I guess that's just roleplaying, though.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:43 pm

Realistically, you would expect someone to tell them to mind their business yes. That is, you would if your character lived in an American Urban or Suburban area. That's not where they live, though. They live in Doma, or Riva, or Baron, or some other Gaeran country we've dreamt up. It's inconvenient to tell someone to bugger off and mind their own business here; It undermines RP and spoils everyone's session. That said, it doesn't surprised me much that people don't mind.

As for most troublesome character: Definitely Besyanteo. I've tried all sort of different things to get myself interested in a concept for himn, but nothing really works out. I end up hating each rendition more than the last. It's not how the character interacts with other characters... It's just that he always comes off feeling cheesey to me. I gave up on the concept, and now he's just a footnote in Dan and Stephan's history. Even that's only a sort of garbled mixture of what happened in Cho's spammy Sprite RP and things Dave and I discussed to try to make the start of Dark Tidings make sense, so no one besides he and I really has a clue what he is/was to Gaera.

I might eventually try to use him again, but at the moment I don't have any idea of what he should really be. :-/

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:05 pm

Many of my best conversations (and most interesting friendships) have come from spontaneous encounters in totally random places over totally random things. As a result, the characters I have trouble with are the ones who don't CI well. On this list are people like Safiyeh, Myrnal, and Hideki.

As far as being in character.... I'd say that the one who gives me the most trouble is Eve Valerian. I hate her much less than I used to, but when I created her I gave the poor thing every scrap of myself I loathed, so getting into character was something of an icky experience every time.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:36 pm

It used to be SKoD. Back when he was full-on bad, it was tough to allow myself to type/say the things he said, cuz they were such an affront to me. Nowadays, he's mellowed, so it's not as tough. I just let my cruelty out just a little bit.

For the right now, though, there's no one character that gives me undue trouble. The only way anyone would is if I'm not in the mood for them. Say if I'm in a plotted RP with Cardinal and I'm in a Daenj'rous kind of feeling, sometimes it'll make my performance suffer. But on the whole, I'm fairly familiar with my merry mix of mental men and mums. They're my allies, really, and we work together to create realism, and that's always fun.

FlameRaven
Geek of Many Colors

Unread postby FlameRaven » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:02 am

I don't usually have trouble getting in-character once a character's established; for new characters it takes a little while to find their voice, but it always comes out eventually.

My difficulty is more that most of my characters don't CI well at all. They're either withdrawn and not much inclined to talking with strangers (Ode), somewhat dependant on other characters to be there (Kite) or sometimes just don't really fit the setting (Destiny Chogos). It might be slightly easier in a board RP... but I haven't found any board RP to play in here yet. :/
[url=http://parallelparchment.com]Parallel Parchment[/url]|[url=http://flameraven.deviantart.com]dA[/url]|[url=http://flameybird_art.livejournal.com]Sketch Journal[/url]

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:53 pm

My serious characters are the most difficult. It's hard to not make them heartless or without a conscious.

Mahou Wyrd and Uta Marron are examples.

Return to OOC RP Discussion