Recruitment and OOC: Escape from Enochus Beta!

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Chemical

Recruitment and OOC: Escape from Enochus Beta!

Unread postby Chemical » Thu May 10, 2007 9:30 am

Risus.

MechanistoX ran an RP using this system at the RP Bootcamp to test his GMing skills.

So he did... so he did.

...do over.

*throws up the horns to a background of explosions and Nine Inch Nails*

I always regret the loss of this original RP, and have decided to try running it again. I'll be whipping up a replacement introductory post as soon as I can, but all you really need to know is that it'll use Risus, and all players, old and new, are welcome.

I'll be taking in a party of no less than four and no more than six people. I'll accept character sheets based on their quality, not how soon they get posted. People who were in the original RP are automagically accepted, should they choose to re-apply.

For those of you not in the know:

The setting is an unholy union between cyberpunk, space opera, and high fantasy, where magic and technology collide violently as often as they harmoniously coexist. Characters can be any race, class, and alignment imaginable; dwarven asteroid miners, file sharing bards, Knights in shining mecha, Elven Gunboat Captains, lycanthropic cyborgs... the list goes on. Feel free to take inspiration from star wars/trek/craft, Gears/God of War, LOTR, DnD, WoW, Halo, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Unreal Tournament, World of Darkness, Fallout, Diablo, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and just about any other Sci Fi or Fantasy setting imaginable. The setting will borrow (or parody) from any and all of these mythos, but all official cannon goes out the window.

General rule of thumb is to be at least partly original. The DnD races are generic enough to be used whole, but races like Vulcans, Cylons, Protoss, and Hutts are too canon specific. If you really want to play one, go ahead... but give them an original twist that makes them fresh and unique! Or better yet, meld them a bit with some other race that you also like, give their culture a unique new flavor, and slap a new name on'em. That said, I WILL disallow specific parodies of actual named characters in established series. You can make a protoss-like character... but making a "Praetor Fenix"-like character will be considered BFOC.* Ours is to parody or pay homage... not to copy whole cloth.

*Bad Form, Old Chap

Also! I'll be making a simple homebrewed rules addition to allow characters to have vehicles or flunkies. This can include spaceships, mecha, familiars, robot servants, heavily-armed drinking pals, plucky sidekicks, and subordinate soldiers or mercenaries. Details to follow.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Thu May 10, 2007 11:02 am

Robots. Lots and lots of cool things, but cyberpunk and robots were key words.

=D

I am officially expressing interest!

pd Rydia

modesty, too

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu May 10, 2007 3:45 pm

::hack-ACK!::

Pardon me, there was something in my throat. I think it was a piece of awesome.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu May 10, 2007 4:17 pm

Sorry, I get that a lot.

Throwing little balled up wads of awesome into people's open mouths is one of my secret shameful habits. :(

bringatoweltoo
That's MISTER 5-year-old cynic to you.

Unread postby bringatoweltoo » Thu May 10, 2007 5:02 pm

I'd be really interested in getting into this, if there's room amongst those returning party members. Not sure exactly what kind of character I'd put together, but I'd be pulling heavily from the colonial marines from Aliens for homage/lampoon material. Pretty insignificant next to, say, a mecha in combat, but I have more fun with characters that get by on grit and resourcefulness than sheer firepower, if that'll work in this RP.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu May 10, 2007 5:24 pm

Hm... so far, Rydia is the only "oldtimer," and the party size has been bumped from 4 to 6, maximum. There should be plenty of room.

As for space marines doing poorly agaisnt mechas; I try to avoid asking my players to put pound nails with a screwdriver, or insert screws with a hammer. Besides... under the right circumstances, a Marine with a one-shot VRL can do some serious damage.

What's a VRL, you ask?

*sage nod*

Fun in a can, my friend... fun in a can.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu May 10, 2007 5:30 pm

I think I'd like to stand out, due to RPs I'm currently participating in. :( Sorry.

bringatoweltoo

Unread postby bringatoweltoo » Thu May 10, 2007 5:35 pm

Mechanisto wrote:What's a VRL, you ask?

*sage nod*

Fun in a can, my friend... fun in a can.

The last two letters wouldn't happen to be shorthand for rocket launcher, would they?

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu May 10, 2007 6:14 pm

pdRydia wrote:I think I'd like to stand out, due to RPs I'm currently participating in. :( Sorry.

Aww... ah, well.

bringatoweltoo wrote:The last two letters wouldn't happen to be shorthand for rocket launcher, would they?

Mmmmmmmaybe.

bringatoweltoo

Unread postby bringatoweltoo » Fri May 11, 2007 9:25 am

Mechanisto wrote:
bringatoweltoo wrote:The last two letters wouldn't happen to be shorthand for rocket launcher, would they?

Mmmmmmmaybe.

*grin* Me likey. This Risus system looks great, too... I'm liking the idea of a system whose source material is only 6 pages long.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue May 15, 2007 8:59 am

Things have been a bit hectic for me, the last few days. Happy ending, though.

I think I'll pimp this RP on chat soon. Chat seems to get the best results.

Return to OOC RP Discussion