Tales Under the Ochre Banner (Episodic D&D Chat Series)

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Tales Under the Ochre Banner (Episodic D&D Chat Series)

Unread postby Spleen » Wed May 09, 2007 10:03 pm

In and around Lenga, capital city of the nation of Gorland, postings have been put up, a general cry for interested adventurers to join a newly-formed adventuring company calling itself the Phoenix Talon Alliance. The ubiquity of the posters suggests that many adventurers will heed the call, and the quality of the posters, printed on expensive presses with colored ink, suggests that those adventurers would be working for an organization that has money to spend but is looking for more. Instructions are given to inquire at a certain address in Lenga.

---------

This is what you've all been waiting for, or at least what some of you have been waiting for and several have already been planning for, being I'm a scatterbrained idjit who does things in the wrong order, like putting up an OOC post after I already have a moderately large confirmed playerbase. *ahem* This is going to be something less than a campaign; small, self-contained chat RPs with a changing roster of characters drawn from whoever happens to be online when it's time to start (such things will probably be announced with ample time for interested parties to prepare). Characters will be a part of the aforementioned Phoenix Talon Alliance.

---------

Character creation stuff:
Characters start at ECL (or character level) 10.
Any race with a Level Adjustment given is acceptable.
Any class from a published source is acceptable, including Prestige Classes.
3e classes and variants are only acceptable if they were not converted directly to edition 3.5 (for instance, only the version of the Tempest class from Complete Adventurer is allowed).
Characters start with 49,000 GP to spend.
Starting experience is 46500/55000; this is 1500 more than the minimum for level 10, and anyone with the means to do so can spend their excess experience points on things like permanencies, contingencies, and magic item creation.
Rolling for stats: Roll 5d6 seven times. Drop the lowest two dice in each set of 5 and the lowest total roll when you're done. Take one full reroll if you need it, but you MUST take the second set of rolls if you take one. Apply 2 bonuses to stats as you see fit, for having gained levels 4 and 8; remember that an increase to Intelligence in this way does not retroactively award skill points.
I've fucked with the language system to make it harder to learn seven bajillion languages; the exact specifications depend on where your character grew up, and will be given in IM because they're complicated, but know that you'll need to spend a few skill points on Speak Language if your character is to know more than one or two; if your character isn't Gorlish and has an Intelligence of less than 14, you will definitely have to. AIM: DeusFio.
Multiple characters are acceptable as long as they don't gain an unfair advantage from one another and you make no attempt to play them at the same time.
No using the following classes: Warshaper, Ur-Priest, Frenzied Berserker. No arguments.

---------

This is a very basic, simple fantasy setting specifically created to have room for (nearly) every concept presented in the D&D books. There is very little to say about the setting as a whole.

Country information and the map are here: http://mysidia.org/rpgww/Tales_Under_the_Ochre_Banner
UPDATE: Now there's religion on that page, too!

Regardless of your origins (which should be known for purposes of background and so your languages can be worked out), you are currently in the nation of Gorland, a free republic with a large mix of races and people who are, for the most part, tolerant of others. The Gorlish government's attitudes toward adventurers are mixed; the easiest way to stay on the government's good side is to register an adventuring company, the process for which becomes more complicated as a group gets larger (the fact that someone has already gone to the trouble may be enough impetus for many adventurers to join up with the Phoenix Talon).

---------

I have more D&D sourcebooks on PDF than you can shake a stick at. IM me if you want one or more sent.

---------

Any questions or comments can be left here or transmitted over IM (AIM: DeusFio)
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Wed May 09, 2007 11:06 pm

If we're 10th level, how do we get a stat bonus for having gained level 12?

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed May 09, 2007 11:46 pm

Oh, duh. *fixes*

Sorry, I was building a level 15 character for a friend earlier.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Thu May 10, 2007 12:05 pm

I'm in and you have her sheet. Ta da!

Edit: I'm available just about every evening. Seriously. If I have something to do besides RP on a scheduled night, it will be an individual thing and I'll be able to tell you in advance.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue May 15, 2007 6:44 pm

D&D? I'm in. You've got Dashe, and I have some others I may want to play as the mood strikes me, which I'll send/give you in person.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue May 15, 2007 10:26 pm

Eww, no. Please take the five minutes and type them up, otherwise I'll never be able to find them for games.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:17 pm

I would request that everyone who is intending to participate in this post in this thread, please.

EDIT: AM and Kai have also started a trend of posting availability times; really I just wanted a roster, but as I'm going to have to collect availabilities anyway, I might as well do that now, too. Try and give me your availability as far into the future as you can reliably predict; this may be a few days, this may be a few months, I don't care.

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:30 pm

If it's this weekend, the only time I'll be available is after 8 PM on Friday.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:15 am

I am available at all times except Saturday evening.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:07 pm

I'm available by arrangement on mondays, tuesdays, wednesdays and thursdays. Though I can't stay on too late on tuesdays.

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:07 pm

Available by arrangement pretty much whenever, provided it's not before 7 PM Eastern.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:38 pm

I'm good pretty much whenever. Friday and Saturday nights are out until around 11 at night. Do note, though, that I'm going to orientation on the 28th and the 29th, so those days are pretty much shot, and I'm goign to China from the 2nd of July to the 23rd, or so. I don't know how available an internet connection will be, so I'll contact you about that then.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:55 pm

A couple feats useful to people who may want to play linguistically-skilled characters. Some have been altered to fit this setting.

Polyglot (not the Epic feat of the same name): You learn a language of your choice for free. In addition, Speak Language is retroactively considered to be a class skill for all your classes.

Gift of Tongues (1st level only): Your Intelligence is 4 points higher for the purpose of determining how many bonus languages you may start with. Speak Language is always a class skill for you. You gain a +1 bonus on all Decipher Script and Sense Motive checks.

Smatterings (requires Int 13): You can learn enough of a language to ask and understand simple questions, explanations, and instructions. This benefit only applies to verbal communication. After 2d6 days of listening to a new language, you know enough to ask simple questions and to follow simple directions. Upon every future encounter with this language, you need only 1d4 days to regain that knowledge.

Well-Traveled Linguist (requires Int 13): When you learn a language, you pay the base price of the language only, regardless of your country of origin.

EDIT: Here's another potentially interesting mechanic I came across today that I'm enthusiastic about allowing for my game: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:07 pm

Zame Rostrian saw a merchant in his office an hour or two before dinner today, and then immediately sought the services of a tracker (not having one within the Phoenix Talon organization). Now, with the sun dipping low over the moors of Gorland, he's grabbed a handful of mercenaries from wherever he could lay hands upon them and herded them into the dining room for a briefing.

-----

Is anyone good for tonight at 8:00? It's a little short notice, so I won't be disappointed if the general consensus is to wait it out until tomorrow. A party of about 3-6 adventurers will work best for this.

Spleen

Kai, Bes, Sage, Daien, and Thram:

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:17 pm

Zea, Tolaris, Alistair, Erik, and Haku aren't out of the woods yet (literally!).

I need times from the five of you, either IMed or posted in this fancy threadamajig.

The humorous but annoying part of this is that the day after I commit several half-assed jotted-down NPCs to a game, I get a buttload of free time. I could have used this yesterday, dammit!

EDIT: I'm allowed to triple-post to my own thread.

EDIT2: Oi, it figures that I'd go to a friend's party, come back after 1, and see everyone I need online and can't RP because it's so late.

What are you guys doing tomorrow around 8 PM EST?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:08 am

most any day around or after 8PM SHOULD work.

Also: New guy at the Mansion. Word has it he makes magical artifacts and weapons and armor, at a slight discount to his fellow mercenaries. Anyone interested should IM me and stuff. Or find James IC during a CI.

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Please, for the love of all that is holy, post times so we can finish this session.

THIS

ONE

SESSION

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:50 pm

Mondays, Wednesdays, and possibly Fridays, I'll be unavailable at night. (IE, after 6 PM or so.)

Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and normally weekends, I'll be good. However, this friday I'm going out of town, so I'll be unreachable until...well, Tuesday.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:48 pm

I am never available. Ever. >:!

... Ok, seriously, weekends work better. Sunday is usually best.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:53 pm

I'm around Sundays after 8.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:07 am

Is there any way I can hop into the session halfway through? I'm bored and have nothing to do now that I have a laptop that I can use late at night and a lock on my door.

Return to OOC RP Discussion