Secret of Zir'An: A system test drive

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Secret of Zir'An: A system test drive

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:53 am

So, some of you may have heard Oniichan and myself occasionally bluster on about a Finesse system. Well, now's the time to see what that's all about! I bought the book a while back and have had some time to go through it a little, and it's the kind of thing that looks pretty darn good on paper, and it looks like it could really be awesome in practice--but one can never know until one actually SEES it in practice.

Which is what this thread is all about!

Oniichan has agreed to sort of 'run' this event, being as I am less familiar with the system than Onii is, and I would like to be a player more than the GM anyway for this. Wee!

A basic summary: the Finesse system is a d10 system where dice are rarely rolled, and many things based on a single roll. For combat, you will use one roll to attack: if you hit, then you do your weapon's damage. If you exceed the target number to hit, then you can do more damage (or spend some of those extra points above the roll you needed on other special effects like disarmament or dismemberment!). Same for defense: You roll an active defense once, and after that, if you win the contested roll then you get to do things with the extra points that you had over your target number.

There's something of a system to not even needing to roll: there are Finesse levels, which basically state what sort of stuff you can do under unstressed conditions (basically the conditions under which you could take 10 in D&D 3e), and you have a Basic, Advanced, Expert, or Elite rank in any skill. Your Finesse rank also reflects to an extent your level of expertise with that skill, to the point where if you go up against an Advanced-level task and roll high enough that you would have bested it even if it were Expert, then you earn the right to have extra cool things happen without necessitating a roll, because you did it so well. The example given in the book is that if you are scaling a wall at night, normally an Advanced task if there are some decent gripping surfaces, but roll an Expert success, then not only can you scale the wall but you can pull up a friend with you, bypassing the need to roll for success on that second task.

I don't entirely understand magic yet, but it does exist and looks purdy. More information can be furnished once it is established that we have some people interested in joining up.

So! Who's interested in joining up?? =D?? This would probably be chat-run on AIM sometime, time negotiable to an extent depending on the schedules of those involved. Interest first! You make posting!

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:20 pm

...Sounds an awful lot like what White Wolf does.

But hey, why not? I'm always up for a test or two. So long as it's past 7, mate.

Not Oniichan

Unread postby Not Oniichan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:01 pm

Though it's original publisher was surprise, surprise White-wolf under their Arthaus label so in theory some of the finesse system may have been inspired by the Storyteller system. It's relatively different once you get down into the main crunch system. Also it breaks some of the design philosophies that White-wolf holds near and dear to it's heart.

Plus most the attributes are quite well balanced in the game.

Oniichan

Unread postby Oniichan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:36 pm

We seem to have actually achieved 5 players or so through magic. If for some reason there is a lonely soul out there still interested, contact me on AIM and we willl arrange something to get you in*.

*-It may be smooches :nyoron:

Return to OOC RP Discussion