JOINING THE GUARD

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
pd Rydia

JOINING THE GUARD

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:01 pm

Who do I talk to about this if I have a character who wants to join the guard?

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:14 pm

In theory, Shini, since Griff's in charge of the Guard. In practice, I see no reason not to simply place the character in the Guard, so long as they're not of inexplicably high rank, and there are no skeletons in the closet which might be unearthed by the requisite background checks.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:15 pm

Not particularly, but the character has no combat skills going in (just doesn't fit into the background). I want to know if she'd pick some up in basic training, and if so, what sort of thang.

Also, if the guard has a canine unit, cuz I'm kinda banking on that.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:45 pm

What the Guard has liked to do in the past:

Training with crossbows. Also preferably some melee weapon meant for supression rather than killing. (A bit referential to our own police force, yes)

What we've effectively done in the past:

You're a PC, and thus special. There are multiple Guard chapters with diverse purposes. You can be a healer/support mage and still be appropriate for the guard, in a specific role that plays to that strength.

I see no reason why the Guard wouldn't have a Canine unit. Even with Garoujin and Inujin around, a real dog is going to have a stronger nose, and the way they're built is much better for running a small target down than a humanoid form. People have been training dogs for ages, so I don't think that's a concern.

In short: Make a character, sign up as a rookie. Getting Chris's attention is only really necesary if you want to do something obviously weird or suspicious (Extraplanar beings as guards, especially demons, Valthi or Barians, the black skinned drow... People Doma doesn't trust for one reason or another. The untreatable mentally ill... etc.)

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:19 pm

I've always been told that the guard love crossbows as real cops love guns.

(This is why Kylitos never joined; he's no good with ranged weapons.)

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:31 pm

Bes has got the right answer, I don't demand everything in the guard be run past me unless it's something weird. As for training, there'd be a number of options depending on things, but in the end it would be along the lines of "I like this method of doing things, how do I go about doing it?"
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:37 pm

It sounds like Dia's talking more about an existing character entering the guard to me, though, which might change things in terms of what the rest of you are talking about. Not making a new rookie character, but taking an existing character and having them join up. If there's any special PS-reflected training they'd get, that sort of thing.

At least, that's how I read her question, though I could be wrong.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:57 pm

Not existing, actually, though it does sound like that. :H I plan on making the sheet reflect her directly after joining/completing training, though, hence, wanting to know.

Return to OOC RP Discussion