Curses?

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Nekogami

Curses?

Unread postby Nekogami » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:03 pm

How do they work in this world and wouldn't it be a more convenient way of killing someone??

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:29 pm

Well it could be handy, but its normally a delayed way of killing someone, and there's probably always some quest to be done to break a curse. A chopped off head is normally such an easier way to make sure the persons dead - quicker too. Normally.

I wonder what would happen if a man curse never to die at some point was then cursed to die in 7 days? Does the new curse overwrite the old one or does the new one still hold?

Does it depend on power? Power of the curser? Or power of the God envoked to curse? Do Gods have ranks? Or does it depend on the actual curse itself!

Maddness! Its all magical maddness!
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

FlameRaven
Geek of Many Colors

Unread postby FlameRaven » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:33 pm

I always thought the point of a curse was that the person didn't die; or if they did, it was incredibly slowly. If they die right away, they're not around long enough to really suffer, and isn't that the whole point?
[url=http://parallelparchment.com]Parallel Parchment[/url]|[url=http://flameraven.deviantart.com]dA[/url]|[url=http://flameybird_art.livejournal.com]Sketch Journal[/url]

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:42 pm

Acutally, if we take the "Egyptian" curses into consideration, the point of the curse was to kill you because you didn't heed the warning of "STAY OUT OR FACE DOOOOOOOM!!!" So that's an instance of a curse that results in instant or near instant death as a punishment.

Some curses just give you bad luck until you fulfill the requirements to rid yourself of the bad luck. Sme curses make bad things happen to you physically or mentally, indeed. Curses are really broad range spells.

I guess we should define a curse. I always thought of it as a long lasting malignant spell or a spell that leads to ill as defined by the spell.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:55 pm

Your Egyptian style curse would be pretty easy to pull off with a powerful enchantment. Moreso if it's on a place rather than an object. As for the others... Well, frankly, curses being what they are I think they should be up to GM or character creator interpretation. By that, I mean that if you plan to curse someone, you should be a GM inflicting something that is not death on a character, after discussing things with that character's player if it's going to last outside your game... Or that curses should be something that people apply to their characters at creation.

Outside of that, I don't think what is a "curse" needs to be defined really. It's a supernatural (magical?) effect on a person or place that lasts for a very long time.

Ark
Cho wants to kill with cute

Unread postby Ark » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:46 pm

It's a supernatural (magical?) effect on a person or place that lasts for a very long time.

Or not that long a time.
Like you're cursed to have bad luck for a day.
Or you're cursed to remain in a spot until the sun sets.

There are also curses that effects you until some certain condition are met I.E. A lone anti-social depressed loner is cursed to skip and sing at odd times until they find true friendship or some such.

All these and more are curses that can be found in childrens books!
[img]http://www.fantasydragon.net/choark/Signature.jpg[/img]
Some detectives just have The Touch

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:50 pm

Besyanteo wrote:Your Egyptian style curse would be pretty easy to pull off with a powerful enchantment. Moreso if it's on a place rather than an object. As for the others... Well, frankly, curses being what they are I think they should be up to GM or character creator interpretation. By that, I mean that if you plan to curse someone, you should be a GM inflicting something that is not death on a character, after discussing things with that character's player if it's going to last outside your game... Or that curses should be something that people apply to their characters at creation.

Outside of that, I don't think what is a "curse" needs to be defined really. It's a supernatural (magical?) effect on a person or place that lasts for a very long time.

You bring up an interesting point about a curse being like an enchantment. Perhaps they should fall under the same category?

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:22 pm

A cursed object or location could simply have a deadly contingent spell.

For a definition of a contingent spell, see one of Hakaril Silvar's applied magical theory techs. He uses it to do things like transmute his hat into lead in the event it is ever stolen, but you could easily set up the stipulation that the next person who does X Offensive Act is hit with some other spell, whether a deadly elemental attack, a potent malediction spell (such as one affecting luck or even just poisoning the poor bastard) or even a summoning spell that calls some horrible monster to eat the target.

As for Generic Fuxxor You Up Spells, I'd say that's the whole purpose of malediction, and if creatively used malediction could yield some scary effects.

Return to OOC RP Discussion