Valkise and Lavinum

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Valkise and Lavinum

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:52 pm

Ok, so, LMB has left us. We handed off Theice for this reason; It doesn't make sense for it to sit there idle now that it's accepted as part of Gaera. Ashley and I also just noticed that he left a couple other things behind. Valkise, God if Disease, and Lavinum, patron goddess to Zombies.

I do actually know a couple things about Valkise, from watching RPs that revolved around him and his paladins with Kate and Adam. I don't really know much of anything about Lavinum. So, two questions:

Does anyone know more about these two deities, and does anyone (other than myself) care to have them?

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:22 pm

The latter, I say, could be done away with entirely, because it's a stupid idea. Kind of like having a god for both alcohol and guns. That, and zombies could be filed under the god of the dead.
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:46 pm

Actually, yeah. I'm rather surprised zombies AREN'T under Reshtaha's umbrella.

And unless Valkise is utterly needed as well, disease could easily be taken up by Nikumu. Definitely his bag.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:05 pm

info on Valkise be hyar

I didn't remember Kate and Adam taking up paladin roles therein, please be posting the informations.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:06 pm

I'd argue jsut the opposite. Valkise and Disease have filled a different role in Gaera than what Nikumu is up to, if you look at Valkise's entry on the RPGWW site. He's anything but hateful or vindictive against Gaera.

And yeah, I agree LAvinum could be done away with. Same with Luckigami.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:08 pm

A deity of chance would definitely arise in the pantheon. If someone wants to amend or add to the information, go for it, but I wouldn't completely retcon the entry.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:19 pm

Oh, it's not that, it's just that her domains seem to be a mirror of Naki's.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:20 pm

This info on Valkise leads me to desire a co-GMitory relationship with Bes.

We should talk. >_>;;

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Belatedly: I misspoke oir didn't say nenough... or something. Kate and Adam didn't ahve paladins to Valkise, but I Recall that Aya or Ara got plague this one time? And Valkise's peopel got involved to try to help... and stuff. o.o Shaun lurked for it too, aparently!

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:54 pm

I have to agree with Shini on this one. It's not as if zombies worship anyone.

On the topic of deities, Heyl (goddess of law and order) seems to be superfluous. Perhaps she should be listed as another name for Shamaya?

Thrakkgrash (bodun) may be obsolete, depending on what's done with the bodun themselves.

Do we really need three specific dwarven deities? And, out of Clangeddin, Grungni and Valaya, which do we keep? My personal feeling is that Clangeddin and Valaya could be retained, and fleshed out a bit.

Other gods seemingly in need of fleshing out:
Derinoe (Sea, women warriors)
Indari (the hunt)
Proteus (Sea)

And in fact most of the others, but those are the three I haven't really seen referenced or utilised in the past.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:43 pm

<blockquote>"On the topic of deities, Heyl (goddess of law and order) seems to be superfluous. Perhaps she should be listed as another name for Shamaya?"</blockquote>Seems raisinable to me. I listed Istaria under Shamaya, though Daien may wish to have a say for that--supposedly Istaria was an offworld deity, or summat. At any rate, there was no information on it, so squish.

<blockquote>Thrakkgrash (bodun) may be obsolete, depending on what's done with the bodun themselves.</blockquote>I'm not all knowing, but as far as I know nothing's being or been done with them, aside from the Prandia background.

<blockquote>Do we really need three specific dwarven deities? And, out of Clangeddin, Grungni and Valaya, which do we keep? My personal feeling is that Clangeddin and Valaya could be retained, and fleshed out a bit.</blockquote>This was Kadrin's stuff, and presumedly he was going to flesh them out, and then he got interested in offline stuff and disappeared. IIRC, Kadrin had the idea that these gods would be primarily worshiped by dwarves, but I imagine they'd aim for larger appeal.

I think genericizing the gods a bit would probably do the trick--unless we already have a deity of craftsmanship that artisans look to or a deity of culture. Now, the dwarven interpretation of these gods--or of craftsmanship or culture--could easily fit closer to Kadrin's original intentions. I figure that different cultures make up their own faces for gods depending on what suits the both of them.

<blockquote>Derinoe (Sea, women warriors)
Indari (the hunt)
Proteus (Sea)
</blockquote>IIRC--
• Derinoe (lunk) comes from Lex when she established the siren race with her character Jade, who is half siren (lunk). Derinoe is now also used in the background for the sharku'u (lunk) and masujin (lunk) races, and is references from Leviathan's page (lunk).
• Indari (lunk) comes also from Lex when she established the centaur (lunk) race with her character Che'. Indari is now also used in the ork race (lunk) background.
• Proteus (lunk) comes from FDbus when he established the masujin race with his character...whatsit...that guy. Proteus is now used in the background for the sharku'u (lunk) race
and is one of the bases for the name of the 6th month of the Gaeran calendar, Proteara (lunk).

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:46 pm

So... any opposition to me grabbing Valkise? Between Ashley and myself I'm atwitter with RP ideas now.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:53 pm

Dude, it's yours. Not like others can't join in with you later.

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:03 pm

KingOfDoma wrote:Disease could easily be taken up by Nikumu. Definitely his bag.

Definitely not his bag. Disease is impersonal. Do you really think the flu virus is a malicious entity?

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:22 pm

The random occurance of disease, yeah, but what about the purposeful spread of pestilence and plague to encourage harm? That's what I've seen most disease deities as doing anyway.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:34 pm

The Valkarin are worshipers of Valkise, but actively work to stop spread of disease and/or comfort the ill. I'm not entirely sure what Valkise thinks about this, but it sounds like a pretty interesting set-up to me.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:35 pm

It also says he formed the Valkarin to that end.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:45 pm

oic. Well then!

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:56 pm

I can totally outline my thinking for his personality and aims here, if people like.

Edit: Well then!

Valkise lives a sort of dual existence. He was created by Ishtar to create diseases, plagues and suffering in Gaera of many different sorts. The idea behind this is that mortal kind advances and innovates because of adversity. However, with so much powerful magic to suit all mortal needs, disease is on it's own simply too easy to stamp out. As such, there was a need for a great force that could precisely and intelligently rain down small amounts of great pestilence on Gaera, over a long period of time. For this task, Ishtar made Valkise.

However, Valkise could not afford to be cruel or vindictive. He needed to know restraint, even compassion. It would be all too easy to create a single plague that would wipe out all of existence and then go back to a long, eternal sleep without another worry. For that reason, Ishtar gave Valkise his own soul, and made him a deity rather than a simple malignant force in the world.

Now, Valkise is torn between his purpose and his nature. He does what he must, and he understands very well why he has to do it. But his followers do precisely the opposite, at his behest. The Valkarin go out into the world and, once mortals have found cures for new diseases, they will spread it. For all other ailments, they will give what comfort they can. Valkise is still constantly frustrated by his role in existence. He will openly rant and rail against Ishtar in one breathe, and beg for her support in the next. He is still sane, but not even Nakibe will hazard a guess as for how long he will last.

Rumor among the gods has it that he is searching for new leaders for his faith; precisely two people to unify his followers.

When appearing to mortals, he looks like a man with the head of a rat. His eyes are a solid light blue, with a thin milky coating. His skin is covered in a light, downy layer of gray fur, and he wears a dark gray toga. His hands and feet are bare, and hairless. His right hand is pristine, nearly white human hand. Well manicured, spotless. His left hand is a blackened rat's pawn. Boney, clawed, covered in boils and ruptures that bleed pus. He has, to date, only ever touched a mortal with the right hand for any reason, if he has touched them at all.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:25 pm

I like.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:30 pm

Yay!

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:32 pm

::mooey thumbs up!::

Return to OOC RP Discussion