Potions!

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.

Do you use potions?

Yes; they are useful and make an adventurer's life easier. May as well stock up when in towns.
76%
Yes; I made a tech for it, might as well use it.
6%
No; I get by just fine without them.
No votes
No; I don't have money, how can I have potions?
6%
No; I never thought of it.
6%
No; Other (please post and explain!)
6%

Total votes : 17

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Potions!

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:03 pm

Note: Sometimes totally equals a yes.

Taiar

Unread postby Taiar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:19 pm

Sucking the pain from my enemies is the healing of choice for me.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:45 pm

We were talking in chat about how the hell these things should work, since there's not a whole lot of clear rulestuff about making magic items, consumable or otherwise.

Okay. Here's a list of things that are true in my view, and could be supported by evidence should it be required. Let me know if you don't think these are true if you think that it matters.

Thing One is we have enchantment, which allows you to enchant items,
Thing Two is we have magic schools like benediction whose sole purpose is to improve the quality or function of people or their actions,
Thing Three is we have energy-based combat magic that has predefined spells to use as benchmarks for costs and effects of items with those particular effects built in,
Thing Four is GURPS has a magic system in which you must not only be able to enchant magic items (a technique in itself) in general, but be able to produce the desired effect yourself,
Thing Five is there is at current little practical reason to increase one's ranks in the enchantment school,

SO I THINK IN LIGHT OF THESE THINGS

...that you be able to imbue a consumable item (one with charges, or one such as a scroll or potion) with a spell effect provided that you can both produce the effect in question yourself and have ranks in enchanting equal to the rank of the effect you wish to produce.

I ALSO THINK THAT...

...consumable items such as scrolls or potions should be cheaper than persistent magic items such as an enchanted sword, and that other restrictions (such as "usable only by caster" or "usable only by a mage with [School X] ranks" or even "usable only by a mage") should make the item cheaper to produce.

Thoughts?

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:54 pm

Note that with potions, it's sort of like one-shot "spell items" in console RPGs. You REALLY don't know whether or not you should use them--is it too early? Will it be of any consequence? Will it really be useful? And don't get me started on true oneshot magic items. I think I STILL haven't used that death wand yet.

Also, at least in PS, healing potions tend to be inconsequential unless you can get a sort of "full heal"--people tend to have a two-hit lifespan at best against an "average" opponent, and so healing is amongst the least valuable of potion types there. The others are far more useful, though; anything to get an edge.

Likewise, for healing potions, in D&D, they tend to suck once you get too much HP, assuming standard value (minimum caster level). YMMV based on class, though. d4 and d6 classes tend to get better milage from such things.

Of the potions available? Types I've found most to least useful:

"Haste"--nothing is better than being able to do more in the alotted time. Arguably the best.
Non-HP recovery--Stuff like MP/TP boosts in PS. ESPECIALLY nice for ball-lightning types that burn through their resources quickly. Status recovery varies, but spells tend to do better there.
Stat boosts--particularly when they stack. Haste is better because of often being able to do more things in a given time, but these are decently useful.
"Protection"--Selective high-resistance/immunity? Nice if you know what your enemy's got. Otherwise, it's a guessing game with your money.
Utility(Flight, Invis, and the like)--Situational, but useful in a variety of ways.
HP recovery--nice if you're lacking a Healbitch. Typically, not getting hit is better in the long run, though.
Utility(HAY WATER BREATHING)--Situational at best. Emphasis on situational. Only use when you pretty much have to.

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:56 pm

I've always wondered why we didn't have healing potions. I say huzzah for their existance however we've never reconciled how money is used so how would we track people cross-rp possessions?

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:17 pm

Nekogami wrote:I've always wondered why we didn't have healing potions. I say huzzah for their existance however we've never reconciled how money is used so how would we track people cross-rp possessions?

Rule one of the RPGWW FAQ: "Don't be an asshat."

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:23 pm

Since my first days here healing potions have been used occasionally; some characters tend to keep one or a few on hand. Usually just the minor sorts.

But, seeing as there's no 'tangible' money for characters, it's mostly up to the character's personality. Kylitos has taken to carrying a flask of potion on him; even despite knowing white magic.

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:32 pm

:{ *gets to bum cheeks and makes an ass hat* NERF!

I like the Star Ocean manner of healing by the way. Items heal by % rather than a set amount of HP.

Miang and Sirvix don't use potions. They both cook and their cooking heals so much % of the consumers HP (More if what they cook is loved by the consumer.) I think potions should do the same if we implement them.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:36 pm

[Enchanting=10] Advanced Enchanting (X TP) - The caster can imbue an item with a magical effect above his enchanting rank for a TP cost of double the difference in rank. Example, an enchanter with two ranks in fire magic would be able to imbue an item with a rank 4 fire spell by spending 4 additional TP in addition to any other costs.

[Enchanting=14] Ritual Enchanting (X TP) - The caster can imbue an item with a magical effect he cannot replicate provided he and another caster (who can create that effect) both pay TP equal to the rank of the spell.

Thoughts?

Also, we already have potions that heal specific numbers. For what we've already got please see the wiki. If we need to change this, we easily can. I just want to make sure everyone is familiar with the status quo before they suggest anything.

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:04 pm

Any news here on potions? I'm still curious about it.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:45 pm

On the website, there's a list for potion skills. I drew it up sometime around when I made Jared.

(before posting, I looked for my copy. Found it!)<blockquote>-------
HP/MP
----

[Potions=1]Weak Health Potion
If successful, makes two potions that will restore 10+1d10 HP each. Requires one part heartroot and two parts water, and a skill check that beats 12.

[Potions=2]Weak Mana Potion
If successful, makes two potions that will restore 8+1d6 mana each. Requires one part Elvish Ivy berries and one part Elvish Nettles, and a skill check that beats 15.

[Potions=5]Medium Health Potion
If successful, makes two potions that will restore 30+1d10 HP each.

[Potions=7]Medium Mana Potion
If successful, makes two potions that will restore 24+1d6 MP each.

[Potions=10]Superior Health Potion
If successful, makes two potions that will restore 60+1d20 HP each.

[Potions=12]Superior Mana Potion
If successful, makes two potions that will restore 48+1d6 MP each.

[Potions=15]Supreme Health Potion
If successful, makes two potions that will restore 100+1d20 HP each.

[Potions=17]Supreme Mana Potion
If successful, makes two potions that will restore 80+1d6 MP each.

[Potions=30]Elixir
If successful, makes one potion that will restore 100+1d20 HP and 80+1d6 MP .

-------
REMEDIES
----
[Potions=3]Antidote
If successful, makes three potions that will cure poison.

[Potions=3]Eye Compress
If successful, makes a compress for the eyes that will relieve blindness if left on for 5 minutes.

[Potions=4]Ointment
If successful, makes a compress that will soothe burns.

[Potions=8]Manaburn Remedy
If successful, makes one potion that will cure manaburn and astral drain.

[Potions=8]Echo Herb
If successful, makes one potion that will cure mute status when consumed.

[Potions=13]Softner
If successful, makes one potion that will cure petrification.

[Potions=18]Holy Water
If successful, makes one potion that will cure zombification.

[Potions=25]Cureall
If successful, makes one all-purpose remedy.

[Potions=30]Phoenix Down
If successful, makes one remedy that has a 50% chance of reviving a target from the dead. Follows the normal ressurection rules as outlined in the Philsys Rules Addendum
(http://www.greatdave.org:7777/rpgww/RP/ ... .htm#death).

-------
ENHANCEMENTS
----
[Potions=20]Enhancement Potion
If successful, makes one potion to raise a single stat (minus magic). When potion is consumed, roll a 1d20. On a roll of 1, the stat is permanently raised. Otherwise, the effects of the potion last 10 hours.
</blockquote>I'm pretty sure I worked on this with someone--Brian, Jak, Shaun, someone, I don't typically do this sort of stuff (i.e. philsys numbers) alone.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:16 pm

That last one seems fairly powerful, even for a prereq of 20. What's to keep a brewer with that level of skill from continuing to make/use potions of that style for the rest of his life and becoming ultra-powerful if there's no diminishing returns on the chance or level of permanent increase?

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:50 pm

...yeah. I'd agree here that the permanence chance should go, or the rank should be raised. If it goes? Lower the rank, a LOT.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:12 pm

:eng101: Presumedly the ingredients, which weren't added past the skills Jared has because (lazy).

Never did go much further in detail about the ingredients, at that--where and when they can be found or bought, how common, etc.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:32 pm

Ah, that's a good point. Seems like the fact that it requires rare ingredients should be explicitly specified in the skill, though. Not necessarily specifically which ingredients, but it having them, at least.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:36 pm

Actually, more like I should have mentioned it was an incomplete skillset. :monocole:

People are free to listgank and try their hands at alternate means of potion production (I imagine there are different ways of doing things), different potions/skills/etc.

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:14 pm

My personal addition would be that potions are based by percent rather than amount.

Return to OOC RP Discussion