World Event: War in Argovia

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Nekogami

World Event: War in Argovia

Unread postby Nekogami » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:51 am

(Copied from my Livejournal)

The main proble with a War in Argovia is how in the world does that effect Igala? Probably not at all since Doma is landlocked and probably does little trade in the country. Inustan, if I remember correctly, does do trade with Argovia but as I understand it we have few Inustani native characters that would be effect. Valth, I believe gets some technology from Argovia, A LA the sunken Marispola that possessed near 3000 year technology of course it blew itself sky high so all that's left are remnants.

Now this is the premise of the war. Both the Dillidan Complex and Alahana are the most successful countries in Argovia with governments. An imperial hair has crawled up the leaders asses and their thinking about making territories out of the multiple other islands. The two countries have been at a stalemate because it's a big deal to just go and conquer places with no premis.

Terumahilana, a drow name by the way, I need to confer with Ken on what a good Lanese neame would be.

I digress.

Terumahilana is on the verge of Clan wars between the Long. The Clans of Light in a recent meeting with the Dark Clans felt slighted by their 'careless' cousins and feel the need to control their power which they've let get out of hand for the last two hundred years. Naturally, the Dark Clans don't agree and since the two extremese set the pace for the Neutral and Fighter clans inevitably the two will get caught up in the war. A fine chance for any human warlords to cast their lot in with one or the other for their own personal gain. Oh snap, right?

Beau is very aware that their successful central governmentless island is prime territory for anyone to own since they get helluva lot of tourism and, well, no centralized army. They're likely to be the first to be taken over, along with Tristes.

Tristes' bastets are Marispolan technology central being the number one place for artifacts. Oh snap.

Alahana has airships. Dilldan has numbers. Terumahilana is in civil war. Beau is screwed small and uncentralized. And I don't know about the other islands.

I kind of already set up getting Doman involved but how the hell am I if ever going to pull off a resolution? People are going to have to pick sides and I want to make it as hard as real life to do that. Not only that, It'd be cool to really stir things up and have a THIRD side come in and lay down some smack and really change the history of the island.

I'd love all ideas, opinions, comments, HELP, with this idea.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:18 pm

I imagine Doma'd be involved right quickly. There is a magical gate between Doma, Doma and Paradyse, Beldad [wiki lunk]. This occurred some time ago ICly, chat RPs, and since then trade has been established. Someone else may have better details on the gate, as I haven't been involved in that. As for Doma, as I see it:<blockquote>-- Doma would want to protect its economic interests (i.e. Beldad). Also, Beldad is an investment toward trading with other Argovian nations. Citizenry also have business interests, something which the Doma'll want them to continue to feel safe doing--it's good for citizens to spend money.
-- At any given time they'd have citizens in Argovia, and thus, in a war zone. At the -least-, Doma'll want to look like they care about its citizenry, especially for well-known and well-liked citizens. The country'll have a functional need to investigate into the loss of any political or military figures.
-- Additional pressure would come from the Doman citizenry who want to be shown that Doma cares about their interests and is run by 'good people.' There's the aforementioned business interests and Domans (someone's family and friends) in Argovia. Some will have come to have a vested interest in the well-being of Argovians, as well, having visited the country, possibly made friends, or just come to realize how much 'closer' it is due to the gate.</blockquote>Doma itself might have some interest in Argovian land--it has at least one colonyesque item itself, in Reywa (wiki link), Ka'thalar (wiki link). Making Beldad a colony would certainly make trade in Argovia just that much easier.

As for the gate, it occurs to me there could be some fun with that. If it stopped working, Doma wouldn't know entirely what was going on in the country but would very much want to find out. I imagine the country has been hearing murmurings of unrest in the area for some time, but wouldn't be interested in much except Beldad's (Doma's interests') safety--still, they'd have some idea. They might even have some pre-war refugees who knew to GTFO early.

If the gate started working, functionally, one way--Doma to Beldad--Doma'd lose citizens and trade goods for some time before realizing what was going on. If Beldad to Doma, it'd be interesting if an Argovian attack were attempted on Doma expecting to be able to retreat back/call for reinforcements from home. (Functionally, because it doesn't need for the gate to break--one side or the other, or a third party, could simply control the flow, or etc.).

A problem with Doma getting involved is that the country's leaders are also PCs; I think it's fair to say that King Charles won't try to take Beldad unless he's convinced it's good also for Beldad at large. An ally of Doma might decide to do so, however--Nekonia would have a good reason to get involved if, say, they had long-term goals on control of Beldad (with ostensible goals of helping their ally, Doma, and being nice people who care about the Argovians).

Doma has recently set up 7 protectorates (states) with leaders (Keepers) with power comporable to the King's. Were these keepers to decide they want Beldad, and can market it to the country, the king and queen might have to accept it or find themselves out of power.

Extras that don't fit into the above coherently:<blockquote>--The Shango would be damned interested in the fate of Beau--a governmentless market haven? Sounds like the best place to offload stolen items. I imagine they have it in use already. I don't imagine Igalan countries have exposed all Shango members (at all), which lets open the possibility of gang members stirring up interest in Igala getting involved. (Last I recall, the Shango were primarily active in Nekonia and Doma, but memory's hazy--they haven't been used in years, which is years of IC passage they could have been up to XYZ).
--Likewise to above, Inustan has its fair share of pirates, doesn't it? I might be influenced by the Bone and Marrow CIRP, but I do remember that the majority of its border is coastal. At any rate, anyone with pirate PCs have the same reason to be involved as the Shango.
--Ryuugami has interest in the safety and well-being of the Long; anyone with characters affiliated with Ryuugami (few but there) have reason to get involved in Terumahilana for peace-keeping, healing, preaching, or attempting to end the war quickly (the last least likely). Other gods may urge their followers to get involved for similar (or disparate) reasons, and Ishtarian healers would be interested in such a thing, period, I'd think.
--There is a Beldad-Doma gate. Given the positive impact it's had on Doma and Beldad, I'd imagine people have been researching how to make other gates. ::wriggles eyebrows::</blockquote>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:25 am

I need to get to bed, but one other note: Doma also has an interest in things since the Alahi tracked those Bastet into Doman Airspace, over the capital itself, and fought there. Atleast a couple doman citizens (even if they're just NPCs) died in that. That's definitely going to be on Charles's mind when it comes decision time.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:55 pm

Conversation with brodzkyzero at 2007-03-15 22:21:35 on pd Rydia (aim)

Dia McDia O'Diason: hello and hi! I gots a question!
Disco King Kyle: *Oh hey sorry; fogot to set an away message for school*
Dia McDia O'Diason <AUTO>: Doing stuff. Here, talk to this stalk of corn in my absence. You'll hardly notice a difference!
Disco King Kyle: *Please feel free to ask when you return! :D*
Dia McDia O'Diason <AUTO>: Doing stuff. Here, talk to this stalk of corn in my absence. You'll hardly notice a difference!
--{{comp handed over to Mike at this time}}--
Dia McDia O'Diason: Dia wants to know if you know anything about the gate between Beldad and Doma, and how it works and who made it
Disco King Kyle: *I WAS THERE WHEN IT WAS MADE*
Disco King Kyle: *Such things happen when a maniac wizard and some heroes have very strong feelings for each other, and they express these feelings with, uh, contention.*
Disco King Kyle: *It was originally made by Ancient Beldads, and it was restored by Neb, to redirect to Doma.*
Disco King Kyle: *Beldites*
Disco King Kyle: *OTHER DETAILS: It's a few miles away from the city.*

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:48 pm

How was large scale battle dealt with in the last war? Is there anything on the wiki or in Philsys on how to do large NPC battles?

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:53 pm

IIRC, NPC battles were the backdrop while PC actions determined the 'face' of the outcome. There were also battles as plot setup.

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:02 pm

I think I'll end up splitting this war into three groups:
-The group that deals with Terumahilana's war
-The group to deal with the two Aggressor nations
-And the group to deal with all the other nations.

Giving RPers three chances and ways to determine the outcome. If all turns out well, meaning I have high player participation, I'd like to bring the two continents closer politically and it'll give me, personally, more experience to do things that I've had in mind to just generally GM.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:35 pm

What's your idea of how the GMing should go?

The idea with the last war was that it'd give a chance for others to GM plots, but few actually picked up on that opportunity. The impression, IIRC, was that no one wanted to "mess up Adam/Kate's plot" (and of course, didn't know it).

I think, it'd be good to establish enough information of the nations involved that 'the war' that no one or two people are relied upon for continuing events. Stuff like, say, how Terumahilana or Alahana work governmentally and culturally (versus how much can be made up)--guidelines so just about whoever can GM in whichever setting.

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:41 pm

I would actually fall in love with anyone who wanted to GM key plots that would affect the war. If someone wanted something to happen in Dillidan that would change their stance on the war, that would be fine but as it stands we don't have a lot of characters in Argovia.

Something I would like to see change if for no reason other than to give RPers a newer, different place to RP when Dome feels a little tired. I would hope that the war would spark some interest in this effort.

I'll certainly exhaust the wiki with information about each country in preparation for the war! Thanks for reminding me.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:49 pm

Nekogami wrote:I'll certainly exhaust the wiki with information about each country in preparation for the war! Thanks for reminding me.
Squee!

As for plots, I've certainly got some interest. I wouldn't mind making new characters, though as it so happens, a character of mine and Cha's should be in Argovia for a length of time...in Terumahilana, in fact.

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:05 pm

Another note!

If Alahana or Dilldan Complex succeed in their imperialist conquest, there is a great likelihood that they'll attack Igala next! :idea:

FlameRaven
Geek of Many Colors

Unread postby FlameRaven » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:01 pm

Been watching this thread for awhile. I'm still kind of iffy on the general knowledge of Gaera, so I haven't contributed thus far, but I have to say that once the appropriate plots arise, Kite will almost certainly get involved. She's got family scattered in various places in Argovia-- most of them are on Tristes, but a few are on Beau and one or two might be in other places. I'd have to check. She and her family would mostly be concerned with the trade aspects of things--they're mainly merchants, not fighters, after all. But they'd be sure to do something, either way.
[url=http://parallelparchment.com]Parallel Parchment[/url]|[url=http://flameraven.deviantart.com]dA[/url]|[url=http://flameybird_art.livejournal.com]Sketch Journal[/url]

Seethe
In Despair

Unread postby Seethe » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:14 pm

I should have thought to post here sooner.

I've been up to something for a while now that could be potentially related to this pretty strongly. I'm not sure how many details I want to give away just now, but it could be said that the Kor Nong demon clan is currently in a position to exploit this sort of thing to its own ends and is likely to do so. I'd be quite willing to get the demons embroiled in this since it would be conducive to certain plans I have for the future.

Their activities would include goading these events on, using the conflicts as a means of gaining influence over political forces within the involved nations, and grabbing territory that becomes vulnerable.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:24 am

Valth, as of current, would not become involved unless an issue from the war; potentially invasion on some scale or other from any group, would be perceived as a threat from them. Otherwise, they'd be assholes like typical, and stay uninvolved.

Poison gas attacks, amongst other things, would occur if they did get involved, of course.

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:43 pm

Things that have happened so far and bless anyone with logs of it (needs to start saving scat). And some article titles from Argovian newspapers.

"Dark Skinned Argovians said to be Inferior by White D.C. Senate" -Beau

"Segregation in D.D. to Remain Says Senator"-Beau

"D.C. Forcefully Claims Island off the Coast of Tristes, Historical Bastet Site." -Tristes

"Alahi Head Chief Slain, Coup by Top General Orango."-Alahana

"Dogs of War Howl as Aggression Builds"-D.C.

"Alahana Declares No Fly Zones over Popular Trade Routes" -Tristes

Alahanan airships acutally tracked Blue Skydiver's airship over Doman territory in an attempt to capture and execute the bastet Captain for repeated offenses of the No Fly Declaration. The attack jailed Orango's son, and a few of his followers.

There has been an sharp rise in drug trafficking by the Argovian gang the Shango. There is rumor of Alahanan influences.

Dillidan Senators have requested audience with the King of Doma.

Tristan Delegates have also requested Audiend with the King.

Anything else I'm forgetting.

Any questions?

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:56 pm

Nekogami wrote:"Dark Skinned Argovians said to be Inferior by White D.C. Senate" -Beau

"Segregation in D.D. to Remain Says Senator"-Beau

Dillidan Senators have requested audience with the King of Doma.
Oh, wow!

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:44 pm

I'm so eager for that RP! HAHAHAHA!!!! Oh Charles where are you when I need you. Same for Brian.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:05 am

Online on Wednesday, I think.

Lenore
Irritable Necromancer

Location: Under the Bed (Teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red)

Unread postby Lenore » Fri May 04, 2007 1:15 pm

Ehehee...I can't seem to find the thread...so Manda, I'm just playing Honou.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/PockyAddict/Long2HonouFlamesSig.jpg[/img]

Return to OOC RP Discussion