i has a question

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
pd Rydia

i has a question

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:09 pm

So, first gen, which characters are currently working in military/police forces, i.e., Doman Guard, army, etc.? What PCs are our generals, captains of the guard, guards, foot soldiers, so on and so forth.

Last I checked, Captain Pervy was Admiral Pervy of the Doman Navy; Griff was somewhere in the upper ranks of the Guard; Reako had a character in the guard's upper ranks somewhere; regular guards/knights (what's the difference?) included Shan, Deeum, Raptre; otherwise? Other countries? Arr?

Also, the same question, but with politickers (diplomats, representatives, regents/lupuses/patriarchs/warlords/etc).

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:29 pm

I always thought that the Knights was ranked higher than the general Guard.

As for Kerov, he has a Knighthood, but he does freelance work on the side. This may/may not sit well with the king, but he ceased to care about semantics. He also doesn't take the title "Sir."

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:51 pm

My understanding was Reako didn't want Hamilton to be captain of the guard, thus he and Griff traded- I'll confirm with Reako.
Hey there! Can I give you a hand?

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:22 pm

Amelia's in the Guard, and Adrienne's in the Mage Corps. Not sure where the MC fits into Doma, but it's under Hakaril, so I'm guessing the main military...

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Hakaril (General of the Doman Army's Mage Corps for the sake of thoroughness) has knighted Myrnal Shalienza, Yadali Volpecula and her fox Alex (Sir Alex, now), and the impression I was given was that knights were associated with the government on an honorary basis. You don't have official authority the way a guardsman does, so you aren't law enforcement. You just happen to have a title as a reflection of Doma's approval of.... well, of you.

Also, Ash Fanrico is a general. I think he's in charge of the ground soldiers themselves, with the navy going to Pervy and the mages under Hakaril.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:33 am

Jeridan works directly under Griff in the Guard, along with several others of equal rank to himself. I know that Jak is a guard now, and that Jak and Jer work togeter sometimes.

Also: I've been given the impression that the knights and the guard are entirely separate from one another, rather than one really being superior to the other. Ditto for the Guards and the Army, since their basic functions are different (War/foriegn problems not being something the Guard handles, and policing local crime not being something the Army handles.)

... I know that Zemekis Craulnober, another of Pervy's characters, is in the guard somewhere. I'm not sure where.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:45 am

Zemekis is on the same level as Jeridan.

Also, Guard handles the defense of the city during wartime, the Army handles offense.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:09 pm

'sanks guys.

Re knights: while it seems to make sense to me to make it an honorary title, there are definitely some knight characters where it's implied they do guard-esque work.

Maybe here, the characters are knighted guards? Or does anyone have suggestions for a different way to distinguish between the two?

Also:
- Why I'm asking this
- the other one

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:56 pm

Part of what makes that distinction tricky is the insane amount of vigilantism that is tolerated and even encouraged by the Doman government.

A lot of knights might also be affiliated with the guard, but a lot just seem to behave as "official" vigilantes. They've been specifically endorsed by Doma's government and while they're not technically guardsman, perhaps they could be treated as Doma's equivalent of a militia or something. Ordinarily they don't have real authority, but in certain contexts they're somewhere between guardsmen and citizens.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:13 pm

I don't have any Doman characters in an official role (though I really am curious to know what the government/guard/whatever thinks of bounty hunters like Seryntas), but possibly of note is that my character Boris is a Black Soul Knight.
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:57 pm

Jeridan works directly under Griff in the Guard, along with several others of equal rank to himself. I know that Jak is a guard now, and that Jak and Jer work togeter sometimes.

He's got that right! Jak's on the guard payroll now.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:26 am

... you need to play him in CIs more. And I want him doing more architect-y stuff. That's the best dang part of him.

Oh, and so we all know, there's a rank above guardsman that I kinda made up for Cardinal called Highguard. It occurs to me I should make up at least a couple more.

... Um... let's see... Ooh. One between guardsman and highguard called Midguard (yeah, I know), then commander above highguard, and... whatever Griff wants to call himself.

Archmage
REAL DOCTOR. FROM AMERICA.

Unread postby Archmage » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:41 am

I suggest "The Amazing Amanziani."

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:07 am

He's got that right! Jak's on the guard payroll now.

I miss Jak, and he was way before my time. I get nostalgic too, y'know!

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:38 pm

I believe Daniel is considered a Knight of Doma, as I've always considered Charles knighting him to be canon. My impression, from all the RP'ing I've done, is that Dan is effectively a higher rank guard for the city, as he mostly does groundwork in Doma proper, and tends to work with the regular rank and file guard in the city for the most part.

To be honest, where he fits in the hierarchy I've never been 100% sure of. I think part of what's throwing me off is how old an RP character Daniel is. But from RP's I've done, I know I tend to play him as being somewhat lower ranking than the generals.

...So to sum up: I have no idea where Dan fits =(

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:01 am

I got the same vibe about Dan. Some kind of officer easily. I'm just not sure which one. I also had assumed that he was a knight in addition to being a guardsman.

So I guess it kind of behooves us (heheheh behoove) to sort out some of the ranks. I'm looking at you, Shini. *nominates Cardinal for Right Guard EXTREEEME*

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:03 am

While that's being taken care of, we should probably establish a procedure for The Guard as well. Stuff they'd all know and do first under various circumstances, and things they won't do. Like, for example...

When Doma was sort of invaded, kinda, by Alahi Drow after they blew up a freaking airship over Doma Capitol, a large group of mage guards was brought in to lay down a huge AoE stop spell and sort out what the fuck happened after everyone was incapacitated. It's a fairly extreme case, but that sounds like something that would fit.

Another example... One time, Selendrille was leading a pantheistic (as far as the Gaeran pantheon is concerned) cult, practicing in the park. They enlisted protection for the Guard from people who might not like what they were doing... but they were also used to block Dan Hyral from being played. What should it take to petition for protection from the government like that, and how much control should a GM have over the guard? The various higher-ups of the Guard certainly wouldn't ever tell Dan that he couldn't go to the damned park, for work or for leisure, without a damned good reason. He's more than proven himself over the years.

Other than that... We know that Pervy institued the idea of Hand Crossbows being a big thing in the Guard. Would Griff have changed that? How many pairs of anti-magic handcuffs can be manufacted for the average guard to carry? As difficult as most anti-magic things are to craft, would it even be one per person?

... And other stuff in that vein. o.o

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:07 pm

Antimagic-stuff sounds innately difficult to craft. Even moreso, if these antimagic handcuffs imply what I think they do (Handcuffs that effectively apply an antimagic field to the wearer, as opposed to simply possessing one limited to themselves), this would actually seem MORE difficult and expensive. I'm honestly even doubting the likelihood of a 1:2, much less a 1:1, assuming they also wish to invest on other measures such as training, equipment, and the like to both the Guard (which appears to be an army in and of itself) AND the actual Army--which also has to be properly equipped and trained separately for each of the three divisions...

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:31 pm

Personally, I'd say it's more likely that each guard house has a limited supply of anti-magic handcuffs that are apportioned out to squads sent out as necessary. Not standard equipment for a patrol, but if it seems likely they'll need one for a situation, they'll be given a set when they're dispatched to the scene from headquarters.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:25 pm

As a possible alternative to expensive handcuffs: twine treated with a special salve that induces temporary magic-deadness until one can be delivered to the already-well established magic-deadening jail cells?

It stands to reason potions are easier to create than artifacts...

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:02 pm

It also stands to reason that such a thing would also be easier to resist or avoid altogether. Not everyone walks around bare-wristed or bare-handed, and such a thing would imply that it must touch bare skin. Going after the neck or head would be a must in these cases, and even then the salve isn't necessarily going to be something foolproof; if people can theoretically resist poison, this is equally likely.

If anything, Idran's seems most reasonable; though it IS practically a second full military of its own right (What effects this has on the population of its main military, I am unsure), it is doubtful that there will be THAT many apprehendees that necessitate antimagic restraint.

Of course, this does bring into question the theory of people fully loaded for bear when it comes to "resisting" arrest--kind of like those bank robbers in LA who had kevlar armor from hell, and the equipment to effectively fight off the police for hours.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:58 pm

The manacles are also already well-established, though, Chuck. They were even in your and Kai's fic, remember?

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:08 pm

Correct. I've used enchanted bracers like that on more than one occasion. I didn't presume on the available supply, but I preferred to operate under the assumption that they'd be available if the guard needed them.

It would be much easier to have manacles that dampened a mage's ability to manipulate the astral than it would be to have a large number of magic-warded cells in the guardhouse. As comparatively-expensive as manacles would be, they'd likely be a necessity, and still more economical than maintaining indefinite anti-magic fields on the cells themselves.

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:11 pm

... right. True. Kay.

BUT.

When normal cops run out of handcuffs (and if you're not packing a whole heck of a lot, that's easy) they always revert to those ziptie things. Plastic, cheap, get 'em at Home Depot for $2.99 a bag? That'd be the general idea.

But, then again, throwing ideas out there, seeing if they stick...

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:29 pm

As far as the anti-magic manacles go, Idran has the right of it. Each station has a few sets which are sent out as nessessary, and some of the higher ranking guards (Like Jeridan, Or Dan) would normally have at least one personal pair (Griff, for instance, has two, however both were paid for out of his own pocket).

Ranks: Sorting it out now.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:10 am

The Awesomes, Shini. My thanks. :ghost:

Return to OOC RP Discussion