Random System Test

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Random System Test

Unread postby Nakibe » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:22 am

Obviously it isn't D&D or Philsys but anyway...

Okay, so some of you may know that I've had this weird system named "Children of the Sun" in my head for a while. Haven't really tried it out around here before simply because I wasn't sure what you folks would make of it. Not to mention I didn't want to just use it as a one-off system or anything.

But right about now the urge in me is getting kinda strong to do it anyway, so I was wondering who'd be interested in trying to test it with me? Maybe some quick character creation, and possibly a short RP in the setting. Nothing too major. I'll post actual system details of relevance later because right now I've got to worry myself sick about finals. Or not. <p><span style="font-size:small;">

Currently idolizing - Roger Bacon, Shadow Hearts
Dislikes : Stupid people, Church officials, People that prey on the weak
Method of Destroying the World : Feh. God can do it for me. >:{
Becomes Super Powerful When : ... well F***. When ISN'T he?</span>

"Lunatic? The sages of EVERY age were called that! Let HISTORY decide whether my actions were good or bad. For now, we must forge ahead!"</p>

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Re: Random System Test

Unread postby Kai » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:15 pm

When time opens up I'll absolutely help you test this out. <p>-------------------------
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble. --John Wayne</span></p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:58 pm

I as well. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:23 pm

After a comic event wherein I waste gas only to realize that my hideously early final exam is NOT today, I am able to post more info!

Anyway, lets see. How do I condense this?

Haphazardly, of course~! :D! Hmm. First I should start with the scary crap. Stats are rated in dice in this game. No, not in the White Wolf sense, the "XdY" sense, where X is how many dice you roll and Y is how many sides they have.

Wait Wait, don't look at me like that! ;_;

Anyway, the number of sides on the die is your character's TALENT with the stat, essentially. d6 is average for any stat, so a person with a d8 in their Strength is naturally more capable of, say, lifting that truck than the person with a d4 Strength. Not to say that the d4 person couldn't do it, but that, under normal circumstances, the d8 would be MORE LIKELY to.

The number of dice you roll is your TRAINING with the stat. A pro weightlifter is probably going to have trained more with his strength, so he'll probably have 3 or 4 dice in Strength. On the other hand, your classic weakling will probably have only 1 die in Strength. OCCASIONALLY he'll be able to lift something decently heavy. But he may not do it again for a long while.

Anyway, explained all this to get to the basic rolls. The whole point of any roll in this system is to roll high. The higher the better for you, folks. And there are 3 types of rolls for me to threaten you with. Quality tests are the most basic, and the most common. The point of these is to just see how high you can roll. Only the highest showing die counts, and all rolls "explode". That is to say, if you roll the highest number on the die, you keep that number and add it to a new die roll. If you roll the highest again, then you keep going and going and.... Also, whatever skill you're using adds directly to these rolls.

The second roll type is a Resistance Test. Essentially its similar to a Quality roll, except you are rolling against a target number. Every die that passes this number is counted as a "Success" for the purposes of Kicking Ass and Taking Names. Often this will be used to degrade some idiot mage's spells, making him/her LOOK like the idiot mage they are. >:{{{

The final type is the Peril Test. If I say "Rocks Fall!", and no amount of skill will really help you to not-die, this is the type of roll I use. They are the same as Resistance rolls with a few twists. First, no amount of skill or training can help you, thusly, the number of dice you have in the relevant stat means absolutely zip. You roll 2 dice, even if you had 20. Sadness. Also, this is the only type of die roll where EVERY DIE COUNTS. Usually what happens is that if you fail one die, something bad happens, and if you fail BOTH dice, something WORSE happens. Therefore, if Rocks Fall, "Worse" would be "You Die" >:P Knowing Jesus he'd probably make his peril test, but eh.

Its always possible to roll a 1 in this system. Just roll a 1 on every die you get, and you officially get to suck. Yay~!

Its also possible at any time to get some random high number. Pick one. You can probably get it or better. Even if your character has no skill whatsoever. Wouldn't put money on you doing it NOW, of course...

Next post will be character creation stuff, and will probably come later today.

EDIT!: A slight clarification here and there and... WAIT, RESISTANCE TESTS DON'T TASTE LIKE BANANA. ;_; <p><span style="font-size:small;">

"Lunatic? The sages of EVERY age were called that! Let HISTORY decide whether my actions were good or bad. For now, we must forge ahead!"</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nakibe>Nakibe</A] at: 12/6/06 22:11

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:56 pm

Like I told you before, I'm interested in this. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Nakibe

Character Creation I: How to shoot yourself in the foot

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:37 am

HOKAI. The one thing you've all been waiting for... or maybe not.

Anyway. <span style="font-size:large;">Character Creation</span>, yay!

First, we talk of stats. There are nine. You should respect them. They love you. Or hate you, whatever.

First off, Strength. If you don't know what this is, I really can't help you much.

Second, Agility. In this game it's both nimbleness with your fingers AND quickness of the feet, so be aware of that.

Third, Vigor. Your toughness, durability, stamina. Whether or not you should even attempt to run that marathon tomorrow.

Fourth, Focus. THIS is the stat that you use when you want to show everyone how smart you are. Equivalent to Intelligence in D&D, more or less.

Fifth, Perception. Instinct and intuition collide into one stat. This is, incidentally, the stat that THIS system uses to determine initiative. HAR HAR. Probably already planned on high Agility, huh? TOO BAD.

Sixth, Discipline. Equivalent to our own PS' Courage. This stat is used to resist magic and shows how well you've trained your mind to, well, do what you need to get done.

Seventh, Charm. One of the Three Social Stats. This is the stat of thinking with your generative organs... err, I mean, trickery. People good with this one lie well and probably often! Lies Lies Lies. When will the LIES END?!? ;_;

Eighth, Leadership. Second of the Three Social Stats. Yeah, I know what you're thinking, and no, this ISN'T the stat that gives Kelne Ultimate Power over his minions. Rather, this is your rational argument. Your power of reasoned persuasion... and probably your ability to BS an argument consisting of tin cans and a string into a GODLIKE EPIC. Or not. Whatever.

Ninth and finally, Ferocity. Also a(n) (anti-)Social Stat. ME NO LIKE YOU. ME SMASH HEAD IN IF NOT GIVE PUPPY NOW. ... ME THANK YOU FOR NOT MAKING ME BEAT YOU WITH BIG STICK.

Aaaanyway. These are the stats this game uses.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nakibe>Nakibe</A] at: 12/7/06 2:37

Nakibe

Character Creation II: Where Good Plans Go Bad

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:16 am

Now, to seperate things into Confused and Further confused, a new post.

The races in this setting are the ones I intend to use for Teh Tests! I mean, what good is having races if you're not going to put them to work, right?

Humans
: And what ARE they? I mean, really. Who plays these things? >:{

Avendera: Basic Idea is Cat people. More specific idea is that they are a scholarly people dedicated to learning about the world and what makes it tick. Generally speaking they believe in the law, and respect the power of truth. Lies and deceptions are as great as sin to some of these folks.

Banfilidh: Plant people. Who needs tree-hugging elves or hippie druids when you have an actual race of people who are sentient plants?

Elves: Oh, wait, we have elves here too. But there's a problem. EVERYONE HATES THE ELVES. Why? Because they were not long ago willing to kill you to prove that they were better than you. ELVES SUCK. Expect hate.

Hu Lenkra: Bear people. While you bastards were busy sitting safe in your homes we were out there pillaging the oceans. These are a people that believe in battle and the glory found in it, folks. Sure, they're not so outrageous NOW, but its not like they've given up on fighting at all. They just think that some of you aren't worth killing. >:{{

Luparathi: Wolf people. Um. Well. If you think of werewolves there you go. Without the "Were" part. But they're practically a newly-sentient race, to the point where they're still considered great housepets if you can get them to stop beating the crap out of the butler.

Thorqua
: Well, these people aren't TURTLE-people per-se, but that's sort of where they go. They're short, they have shells. And they've got the "somewhat in tune with the world" bit working. At the very least some of them still live in semi-tribal societies. They do like songs, though. And never insult the tattoo on one's shell. They kinda don't like that.

Zheol-Jhe: Mer people. Sort of. These folks have been fighting a war against... something for a LONG time now. In their minds they're still fighting it. Yes, they walk about just fine on your dry land. Just that its a bit too dry for their tastes, you know? A little extra water wouldn't hurt, right?

Anyway, to the actual CREATION OF LIFE!!

First order of business, you have to determine your Talents.
I give you 3 d4s, 3 d6es, and 3 d8s. You may distribute these sizes as you wish among the aforementioned stats. If you don't LIKE these things, you can trade a d4 and a d8 for a pair of d6es. That's right. You can be more average. Or something.

Now that you've determined where the hidden talents of your character lie, time to SCREW THEM UP WITH RACES~!

Your Race modifies this talent. If your race improves an attribute, then the size of your die increases. d4 -> d6 -> d8 -> d10 -> d12 -> d20 is the order here. You can't get d12 or d20, by the way. Don't ask. >:{

On the other hand, if your race sucks at an attribute, it goes down the scale d4-4 <- d4-2 <- d4 <- d6 <- d8 <- d10 <- d12 <- d20. Yes, if you hit d4-2 or d4-4, then you suck. Its very sad.

The actual modifiers based on race are as follows:

Humans : HAHAHA NO.

Avendera : +1 to Strength and Perception; -1 to Discipline and Vigor.

Banfilidh : +1 to Agility and Focus; -2 to Strength

Elves : +1 to Focus and Charm; -1 to Leadership and Discipline

Hu Lenkra : +1 to Strength, Vigor, and Ferocity; -1 to Perception, Focus, and Charm

Luparathi : +1 to Strength, Agility, Vigor, and Ferocity; -2 to Focus, -1 to Leadership and Charm.

Thorqua : +1 to Discipline and Leadership; -1 to Agility and Ferocity

Zheol-Jhe : See Humans.

Now that you have a set of die types for each stat, you can finish the EASY part by doing a few things for me.

First, every stat now offically has 1 die in it. Yay. Also, you are now given 4 additional dice to put into whatever stats you want. No stat can be raised above 3 dice at this point, so don't. I'll KNOW. >:

Second, Choose your Appearance. Appearance is the hidden stat and I'll probably never remember it. Anyway, its just a rating from -2 to 2 on how good-looking you think your character is, with 2 being "Beautiful" and -2 being "Scarred freak". It just affects certain social tasks by decreasing your dice or increasing your dice. Beautiful people have a harder time with Ferocity tests on occasion, see.

And there you go. The Easy Part is done~!

Nakibe

Character Creation III: It BURNS USSS~!

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:59 am

If you have gotten here you have either lost control of your scrolling function for this particular thread (sorry!) or you have hopefully arrived with half a character and no idea what the hell you can do with it now other than use it for a placemat.

Minor Details: Now would be the time normally when you'd decide where in-setting that you live and thusly get your native languages for free. But whatever.

Here's the real meat. First, choose an occupation. You now have 3 ranks in the related skill. I don't HAVE to know what it is, and I really don't much care so long as it has nothing to do with being the Ultimate Power of the Universe.

Also: You should choose here five skills that suit your character's background. You now have 3 ranks in THOSE skils as well. Before you ask, 3 ranks in a skill is considered "Competent". As in you maybe don't suck at it. Skills are generally split similarly to D&D or other systems. Just add in combat skills (Swords, Unarmed, Bagaga), and an actual skill for dodging and you should be on track. TECHNICALLY you can buy Pillars (Read: Magical Training) here. I'll get to those in a second.

Now, make spot labeled "Magic Points", because you now offically have 1. JUST ONE.

Finally, you get 36 Experience Points to spend on Stuff. What sorts of stuff and how much do they cost, you ask? Why, let me tell you~!

2 points each for a Racial Ability (Ask me about these for your race)
1 x Technique Rank for Techniques (Read: Magic. Ask me about these personally too)
2 x New Rank for Skills.
3 x New Number of Dice for Attributes.
4 x New Total for Magic Points.

Note that you pay for these things one rank at a time. And yes, I know, Magic points cost a LOT. Sucks, don't it?

Anyway, I suppose I should tell you what those things are for, and how spells work here. And get to telling you how you can learn yourself some Magic missiles, too.

First off, if you're a warrior type, even that 1 magic point may be irking you already. "What is it there for?" you ask, "And why should I care?" Excellent questions both, and the answer is fun. Sorta. You have a magic point because everyone does. But more specifically, what everyone can do with magic points even if they have no magic is "spend" it on extra dice to roll on an attempt. If for some reason your current Agility doesn't give you a good enough chance to not-suck against the Horrible Grue, you can spend magic points. 1 point per extra die. As many magic points as you feel like using. If you still fail? Well, sucks to be you. But you tried, right?

Anyway, anyone can do THAT. It takes REAL SKILL to sling spells. Lots of it, in fact. They count as skills here too, you know. Not the actual spells, but the learning required to use them.

Spells require two skills, actually. First, you must have enough skill in a "Primary Pillar" skill. These measure your knowledge of the fundamentals of magic as it works here. There are only 4 Primary Pillar skills to speak of:

Body : Which involves the workings of living beings.

Energy : Which involves the various energies flowing through and around all matter.

Matter : The actual stuff the world is made of. Nonliving material in specific falls here.

Mind : That strange mental realm, the mental workings of people and animals.

Now that you know how things work, you need to pick up another set of skills. These are called "Secondary Pillars", and these skills focus on HOW you direct the magics that you've learned. Of these, there are 8 skills to look forwards to:

Alteration : Involves changing the nature of the thing you're messing with slightly.

Corruption : The art of making bad things go bad faster. If the other guy wants it to work, you ruin it. If the other guy wants it to destroy, you make it build.

Control : Causes things to act against their natures. Combine with mind to make people your meat-puppets, you sick bastard you.

Creation : Make something new whenever you want. That's what this is about.

Decay : All things die, folks. Entropy at work. And now its working for ME.

Harmony : This is about balance. Oddly, this is the class of magic you'd find "Detect Magic" under. But then again, most spells tend to alter the way things work, so...

Life : Rejuvenation. Old things become new again, and objects can take on a bit of extra energy no one knew they had.

War : HUH. HAH! WAR. WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?!? ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN. Well, except for destroying things. Yeah. Its good with that.

NOW. When you have some rank of skill in a Primary pillar as well as a secondary pillar, you can access magic of a rank up to the LOWER of these pillars that is associated with both. That is, if you have Body(3) and War(4), then you can access all Body/War spells up to rank 3. If you gathered another secondary pillar, say, Life(2), then you could add Body/Life spells of rank 2 to your list.

The spells in this book go from rank 1 to rank 6. How many MP do they cost? Why, Their rank is their MP cost, so there you go. A Rank Six spell costs 6 MP. And a hell of a lot of time and effort to get there. A rank 1 spell costs 1 MP. The other nice thing about this system is that you can always spend more on a spell. Why spend more, you ask? Because even 1 more point added to a spell allows you to do a bit more with it.

You can increase the effect-strength of a spell. These are all measured just as stats are (Number and type of dice), and 1 MP can actually be used to give these checks another die, just like with other rolls. HOWEVER, 1 MP can also increase the die type (if applicable) for a spell. One MP can also be spent to double (or more) the duration of certain spells, or to double the range of a spell. Just have to tell me what you want to do extra when you cast. Unfortunately silent-spells aren't really an option here.

Oh, and I WOULD try to put up a list of spells but A) I'm not crazy and B) even the Rank 1 Spell list is MASSIVE. Just at Rank 1 there is an average of 2 avaiable spells for each Primary/Secondary combination. Um, no. Just... no. IM me or something and I can answer questions, but posting them NOW would be insane.

I'd put up a list of skills from the book or racial advantages, but... that's more of a "Lazy Ass" thing. Maybe later.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nakibe>Nakibe</A] at: 12/7/06 4:06

Nakibe

Character Creation IV: Things No One Cares About

Unread postby Nakibe » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:48 pm

Beware! I have an official from-the-book skills list. SUFFER, MORTALS~!

Acrobatics
Administration
Alchemy
Animal Handling
Animal Training
Appraisal
Arcane Engineering : a.k.a. Build your own Crazy Magic Item crap.
Artisan(Material)
Bargaining
Begging
Blathering : a.k.a. Fast Talk/Bluff
Bribery
Concealment : a.k.a. Hiding items.
Carousing
Chirugery
Climbing
Cooking
Demolitions
Diplomacy
Disguise
Dodge : Probably important to some of you combat types
Escapology : How To Be Houdini
Etiquette
Field Repairs
Fishing
Language
Forgery
Gambling
Healing
Holistic Medicine
Hypnosis
Interrogation
Jumping
Lip Reading
Lock Design
Lore (Type)
Mounted Combat
Navigation
Performance (Type)
Persuasion
Pilot Vehicle (Type) : Sea, Land, or Air. Take your pick
Play Instrument (Type)
Prestidigitation
Research
Ride Animal
Running
Sprinting
Seduction
Shadowing
Stealth
Streetwise
Subterfuge
Survival (Terrain)
Swimming
Theology
Tracking
Trap Design
Unarmed Combat
Weapon Use, Artillery
Weapon Use, Melee
Weapon Use, Crossbow
Weapon Use, Firearms
Weapon Use, Siege
Weapon Use, Thrown

ALSO, now that I've done that, does anyone object to trying to run this ether Wednesday or Thursday night?

PriamNevhausten

Re: Character Creation IV: Things No One Cares About

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:58 pm

I wouldn't mind. BUT, I do need some information on what the setting actually is--i.e. is this renaissance era, medieval, modern, far eastern-esque, futuristic, dystopian, etc, etc... <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:17 pm

What if you have both high Charm and high Ferocity? <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound
</span>

d20 Optimization Boards</p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:40 pm

Presumably, you have that sort of animal magnetism. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:43 pm

Priam: The back of the book likes to call it "Dieselpunk", but that's a bit of a misnomer anyway. To be accurate, its set after an equivalent of WW II (Thus the Elf Hatred), and has a steampunk-ish technology level. You folks won't be able to afford anything quite like a decent revolver, but they do exist, along with a scant few shotguns and MAYBE if you fought in the war you saw the use of a decent machine gun. Likely not.

The major place I'd intend to do anything would be the Isle of Krace, which was a former colony of sorts and named after its first king. Oddly, the second (and current) King is an elf. One of the few well-loved and respected ones since he was put there before the war and helped lead the effort against his own people. Sadness. But this is a short summary of a more involved history. If you need specifics I'm happy to provide them.

Zemyla: Then you're Conan the Barbarian. Or someone vaguely similar. There is no restriction on having one higher than the other, nor and it really doesn't matter to me at all. It means you're probably giving up awesomeness in other areas to be pretty awesome in certain social aspects. <p><span style="font-size:small;">

"Lunatic? The sages of EVERY age were called that! Let HISTORY decide whether my actions were good or bad. For now, we must forge ahead!"</p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:21 pm

Are you sure you don't mean after a WWI equivalent, Shaun? That's when machine guns first emerged as a major wartime weapon, I believe. <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin
</p>

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:35 pm

Nope, Idran. WW2 equivalent. As far as technology, WWI, yes. But as far as motivations, and general setup, WW2 is the proper war to think of in this case. Supposedly a combination of progress in the area of Arcane and Surge Engines as well as the general permeation of magic throughout the world makes up a good portion of that technological difference. <p><span style="font-size:small;">

Nakibe

*Drops Meteos on people at random*

Unread postby Nakibe » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:16 am

Okay, how about those that are available help me do the system test this evening. Yeah, I know its kinda sudden, but I've put this off long enough too. Its not like I expect much to come from this, so eh.

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Re: *Drops Meteos on people at random*

Unread postby Kai » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:56 pm

I think that Brian and I will likely be attempting to do some kind of RP thing or another tonight-- possibly the 2gen thing. I don't want to promise I'll be here, so it's probably not necessary to wait on me. <p>-------------------------
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">"Because we care, my sweet imperialist dog." --Linka to Wheeler</span></p>

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:28 pm

Okay, I was wondering which of you folks was interested in running a series of games with this system. I've gotta re-read all the setting specifics, but I think I could try handling a game or three. <p><span style="font-size:small;">

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:40 pm

I would be interested! <p>
<div style="text-align:center"><span style="font-size:xx-small;">Heart!</span></div></p>

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:56 pm

I as well. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:58 am

Feh. I was hoping for one more person than this, but eh. So much for hope and such. What times are you two available? Currently I'm thinking Tuesday or Wednesdays, with a possible "extra" session in the near future just because I want to get things steamrolling along. But, of course, that depends on what you two have available.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:09 am

I generally prefer weekends, but I can try for different times on Tuesday and Wednesday. I just can't stay up past 2 AM until further notice. <p>
<div style="text-align:center"><span style="font-size:xx-small;">Heart!</span></div></p>

Return to OOC RP Discussion