The Savage Tide (D&D campaign)

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

The Savage Tide (D&D campaign)

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:24 pm

Okay then. I've decided to adapt the Savage Tide campaign to Gaera. The players' guide can be found here, but in summary, the campaign will feature pirates, voyages of exploration, pirates, threats to civilisation itself, and did I mention pirates?

The home city will be placed in Beldad, Argovia. I'll be adding conversion notes for the campaign over time.

Characters start out at 1st level, and I'd like to have a good selection of people to choose from so that I can mix and match parties between sessions, rather than being held hostage by the availability of any one individual. You may also wish to have a backup character ready in case your first one winds up biting the dust, which is a distinct possibility.

Sourcebook-wise, if you can provide me with the relevant book or an extract from it, I'll probably let you use it. I do reserve the right to veto anything I don't like, including stuff from the core books.

Also, stuff from the D&D in Gaera thread from back in the day (which I'll dig up eventually) can also be used. Anything you don't see in there but want to use anyway, run it by me and I'll see if I can work something out.

That's all for now. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Re: The Savage Tide (D&D campaign)

Unread postby Kai » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:30 pm

This is Relevant and Important.

To find the specifications, search for "Notes regarding characters for this sort of thing" and you'll be there.

Aside from that, I'm still ambivalent about being in an RP where character death means rolling up a new character. While I acknowledge that it's a little contrived to have people on mission-quest-things and not having to really worry about death... it's also a little difficult to spend time developing a character you may not be able to play for very long. <p>-------------------------
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble. --John Wayne</span></p>Edited by: Kai&nbsp; Image at: 11/18/06 20:34

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:51 pm

I know what I'm going to be. It's going to be ridiculous fun, too.

You'll need Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, Races of Stone, and Player's Handbook II to have all the bits and pieces I'm planning on eventually using for this character. I have all these books on PDF, and you're on my Hamachi network, so you getting them is essentially just a matter of me lowering my firewall.

I'm going to need to know how much money we're allowed, etc. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

"There are four types of men: one who says what's mine is mine and what's yours is yours - he is a neutral person. One who says what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine is a fool. One who says what's mine is yours and what's yours is yours is righteous. One who says what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine is evil."
-Talmud, Avot 5:13

Arch mage144: Spleen doesn't bother with penis size contests; instead, he goes straight to penis number.</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:24 pm

I'm interested, but I haven't quite narrowed down my character ideas yet, so I'll probably wait to see what other people are doing. However, chances are that I'll get bored and create something just as a rudimentary idea.

I'm guessing first level and appropriate first level starting wealth as given by class? <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:47 am

...Ah, jeez. I'd like to play in this, but I'm guessing the fact that I also have a subscription to Dungeon would exclude me from consideration. :(

Well, if possible, once it starts I would like to lurk in this game's sessions, at least. <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin
</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:43 am

Kai: In some ways I agree, but on the other hand, if I say anybody who dies can be brought straight back, regardless of circumstances, I eliminate the element of risk in the campaign.

Now, there are a couple of ways around this. Firstly, I could issue 'get out of death free' cards, redeemable for exp if unused at certain intervals. Secondly, there are injury charts I could adapt to D&D, effectively treating 'death' as 'seriously injured'. This second approach appeals to me, providing as it does a benefit to hauling your comrade's body clear and hoping they're not quite dead.

There's still a roughly 1/6 chance of death, but you get a reroll if you've got a cleric or someone making heal checks at hand. Injuries acquired in this way would be persistent, and not subject to magical healing. At least not in the short term. Which adds a bit of depth to the old battle scars one can point to.

So yeah, unless there are objections, we'll be using the serious injury chart, rather than instant death.

Spleen: Character starting wealth is indeed as per the class guidelines for level 1. I will consider any special requests, however. Within reason, of course. Or you could take the Merchant's Tongue feat from the guide for a bit of extra starting wealth.

House rules and conversion details still to come, but expect to see some very basic firearms available.

Also, Idran has acquired the status of partner-in-crime, and may well be on GM/NPC duty from time to time. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kelne>Kelne</A]&nbsp; Image at: 11/19/06 7:45

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Kelne: Sounds good. Permanent character death should generally be plot-related, not an accident. <p>-------------------------
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble. --John Wayne</span></p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:54 pm

Ah yes, bit of a random request. Could I get people to put together at least one distinctive sprite of their characters? Adds that touch of colour to battle maps. Also makes my life easier if I ever decide that any scene warrants the comic treatment. :D <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:12 pm

Give me sprite specs and I can make one. What dimensions are you looking for, and do you want us to modify existing game sprites? <p>-------------------------
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble. --John Wayne</span></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:38 pm

I'm interested. But it's really important for me to know what times this things will be for, since it sounds like you're planning to do chat sessions.

Probably going to make a Swashbuckler (from Complete Warrior, for those unfamiliar with it!). ... Sprite is definitely a can do, once we have the information Ashley asked for. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:45 pm

When I've actually got a character I can likely do that! <p>

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:39 pm

I'm going to take a wild guess and say this is going to be a chat RP? If it is not and will be here on the board, I am interested. I'll probably go with fighter and figure out where to go from there. May change my mind, though. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>
"En Taro Washington!" -Spleen.</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 11/19/06 22:41

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:22 am

He said the word "session", which means that he'll be running chat RPs.

Bes: Thanks for stealing my idea, you rat. Well, part of it. The base class, at least.

Sprites would be mad easy. MAD easy. Yo. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

"There are four types of men: one who says what's mine is mine and what's yours is yours - he is a neutral person. One who says what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine is a fool. One who says what's mine is yours and what's yours is yours is righteous. One who says what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine is evil."

Arch mage144: Spleen doesn't bother with penis size contests; instead, he goes straight to penis number.</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:58 am

Image<- That size, ideally. Sprites should be similar to your typical FF-style sprites, just so they look visually coherent when seen together. Other than that, go wild.

Sessions will be running on mondays, tuesdays or wednesdays, depending on when I can get a group together. Start times around 8pm EST, or earlier if I can swing it.

I'll also be keeping a summary/downtime thread so that people who aren't involved in any given session can keep up with happenings, and people can make notes of what they're doing in between sessions. People are welcome to clutter this thread up with interludes, diaries and so forth. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:32 am

Ouch. If we do this during the course of the end of the semester (i.e. before break starts), looks like I'm out. There's no way I can do weekdays. <p>

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:59 am

Because of how thisn get done here, I can't garuntee anything weekdays. I sure as hell try, but...

Anyway. I can make an attempt on any of those days. What time I'll be avaliable and such depends on what my family is pushing me to do that week. <p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Well, I'm just heading out of tow for a few days. Conversion details should be ready when I get back.

In the meantime, if people could let me know when their ideal times are, that'd be good. If there's a consensus, I'll see if I can get my work schedule rearranged. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:16 am

Monday nights conflicts with Cha's second gen thing. Other than that...*shrug*

A lot depends on my bandmates. Rehearsal schedules are up in the air right now. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:37 pm

Okay, conversion notes ahoy.

I've rustled up some new wiki entries for Beldad and Telsite (which I've co-opted as our equivalent of Sasserine). Revised map and house rules to come. Questions and thoughts welcome. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:21 pm

A bit late but... I'm interested too. Got a few ideas at hand, but give me a little bit to choose one over the other to start. <p><span style="font-size:small;">

Currently idolizing - Roger Bacon, Shadow Hearts
Dislikes : Stupid people, Church officials, People that prey on the weak
Method of Destroying the World : Feh. God can do it for me. >:{
Becomes Super Powerful When : ... well F***. When ISN'T he?</span>

"Lunatic? The sages of EVERY age were called that! Let HISTORY decide whether my actions were good or bad. For now, we must forge ahead!"</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:13 am

In retrospect, I think I'm gonna pull out. I just noticed how many things I've stuck my fingers into already. I don't have any to spare. Sorry guys. <p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:39 am

No worries, Bes. Though I would like to remind people that there won't be a closing date for applications. I expect this to run for a fair while, so it's entirely probable that people will join up or drop out as circumstances change. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:54 pm

I am consistently available on the weekends as long as I'm given notice that a game session will be run, so Friday or Saturday nights are best for me. I'm actually done with class pretty early on Fridays, so I can even start what would be afternoon my time given appropriate notice.

I have early morning classes throughout the week, and while that will not be the case through Winter break, I will be working, so that's another can of worms to deal with since I don't know what my schedule will be then. And I'll pick back up with early morning courses in the Spring.

If you think you can swing weekends, I'm interested, but if not, it's cool. <p>

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:56 am

You have my sword! By which I mean character sheet. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:35 am

Okay. House rules:

Firstly, all races have favoured class: any, allowing more or less free multiclassing.

Illusion magic doesn't just disappear if you disbelieve it. The will save to disbelieve represents the experienced eye spotting flaws in the illusion - little things which indicate that all is not at it seems. Unfortunately, this doesn't tell somebody what, if anything, the illusion is concealing.

As noted, the serious injury chart will be used in place of plain old death. I won't be posting that up. Allow me my little surprises.

Firearms exist, though they're rather rare and primitive in Beldad. On extremely rare occasions, a Valthi weapon might appear this far south, by way of the gate. But scavenging ammunition for such a weapon would be difficult in the extreme.

At the beginning of the campaign, the following weapons are available:

Flintlock pistol: 300 gp
Damage: (S) 2d6 (M) 3d6, X3
Range Increment: 20ft
Weight: 5lb
Type: Piercing

Musket: 500gp
Damage: (S) 2d6 (M) 3d6, X3
Range Increment: 80ft
Weight: 10lb

Blunderbus: 200gp
Damage: (S) 1d8 (M) 2d6
Range Increment: Special
Weight: 10lb

Ammunition comes in bags of 10 balls for 5gp.

The blunderbus deals 2d6 damage to all targets within a 15ft cone, DC12 reflex save for half.

All weapons require 2 standard actions to reload, making them fire-and-forget weapons, at least in a single encounter.

A single exotic weapon feat covers all pistols, with another required for rifles. A blunderbus is counted as a simple weapon.

More house rules will no doubt be added as and when the issues come up. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:32 pm

Alrighty then. Saturdays have been freed up, so I'm looking at running the first session either this coming saturday or the one after, beginning around 6pm EST, or as early as I can swing things. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:53 pm

I can be here, but I don't have a sprite for you as I've had Things and Stuff on my plate these last few days.

I'll have a sheet for Javid posted in relatively short order. <p>-------------------------
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble. --John Wayne</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kai@rpgww60462>Kai</A]&nbsp; Image at: 12/4/06 21:53

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:20 pm

I stand corrected; this week Kai and I will both be occupied by a concert at 7:30 PM EST on Saturday. I'm not sure how long it will last, but the earliest I predict we will be available is 9:00 PM. If that's too late for your tastes, I encourage you to start without me. <p>

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:24 pm

Well, we'll see how we go. I've never had a problem staying up late, it's just a question of how much we can cover before people in your timezone start zonking out. I may well get session one started and arrange an entry later. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:47 pm

I would go ahead and plan for Kai and I not to be here on account of one of Kai's professors inviting her over; initially it seemed like her concert tonight was going to be a conflict, but now it's not so certain.

In any case, I would proceed without us at whatever time you feel is appropriate. <p>

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:47 pm

Epilogue, session 1.

With the Blue Nixie secured and the vicious arachnoid creature crouched within its hold slain, our earstwhile heroes were able to search the ship at their leisure. And of course to secure the survivors of their little assault.

Lavinia's fee was found in a chest in the captain's quarters, so far untouched by Vark.

Gillet, having proclaimed his skills at locating shiny stuff and bypassing traps, got first crack at the searching, and found the signet ring in a hidden compartment above the bunk in the captain's quarters. Threaded through the ring was a piece of paper with a cryptic note.

"Basilisk looks to sunrise
Cyclops looks to sunset
Medusa looks to sunrise
Umber Hulk looks to sunset
Basilisk looks to sunrise"

Lavinia would later confirm that the note was in her father's handwriting.

From the looks, Vark and his crew were using the Nixie to smuggle a cargo hold full of rare animals to some buyer. Unfortunately, none of the crew knew any details about this, being merely hired hands.

Lavinia, naturally, was very pleased with how events played out, and has offered the group a wage of 100 gp per month to remain in her employ, as troubleshooters, agents and perhaps bodyguards if the need arises.

The first order of business, should they be amenable, is accompanying her to the family vault at Castle Teraknian.

---------------------

Should anybody wish to loot the crew, there are several rapiers and light crossbows available, but little else.

You also have the 250 gp Lavinia promised you for the job.

After consideration, I'll be handling exp in an unusual way. Details to follow when you gain your next level and I have a bit of time on my hands. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:57 pm

Gillet finds himself extremely amenable. A regular wage like that is not something you find every day. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:58 pm

Hey...um, tomorrow (Saturday) is the day we're celebrating my nephew's third birthday. The party will be ending by 4:30, but we'll most likely wind up with relatives over the house. The exact nature of the plans is tentative, but they're likely to leave me either late or absent from the game. I'll try my damndest to get word to you in any case. Sorry in advance. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:21 pm

Brian and I are having a friend over to watch anime, but if you need people, I can be here and watch Trigun simultaneously. <p>-------------------------

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:07 am

Futureman:

On Saturday, I might be impressing an attractive girl (long story). I'll keep you posted, but I may not be able to make the evening RP. If I can't, and compromise can't be made, then I'll have to miss this session. Sorry.

Spleen <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:43 am

Okay. Owing to various stuff, I'm going to have to skip this week's session, and possibly next week's. Hopefully this won't be a huge deal, as I expect people have plans over christmas and new years' anyway. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Many apologies

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:41 am

Owing to real life issues, pertaining to studies, I'm putting the campaign on indefinite hiatus. Hopefully I'll get things up and running again in a few months.

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue May 22, 2007 7:07 am

Behold, I have located the old thread. Threadnomancy!

Following the events beneath Parrot Island, the party have now reached second level. Bonus experience is as follows:

200 exp 'base'.
100 exp for getting both NPCs (and Gillet) out alive.
100 exp for a cunning and well-enacted escape plan.

They also have two contacts - Sel and Kenner, both 1st level rogues.

As promised, I now present a list of uses to which said bonus experience can be put.

- Item creation feats. Fairly self-explanatory.

- It can be saved up to offset lost levels in the event of resurrection.

- It can be used to gain a new level, if enough can be saved up to reach the next level.

- Contacts can be gained at 200 exp per character level. This represents the characters trading on their reputations in some manner, or friendships made outside the campaign proper. In any event, contacts are NPCs willing to occasionally lend a hand in some endeavour, supply the party with information, or otherwise help out.

- Membership in certain organisations can also be obtained. Such organisations include, but are not limited to those affiliations described in the players' guide. Starting membership begins at 600 exp, and is thus out of reach for the time being.

- 'Special kit'. Think of this as a way of requesting unusual items, beyond the usual loot or stuff that can be acquired on any old shopping excursion. Such things will not just drop from the sky, of course (Or if they do, you should be very, very afraid), but they'll turn up in time. Price is negotiable.

This list is by no means complete, and I will more than likely add to it as times goes on. Feel free to make suggestions. Any questions, drop me a line.

Kai

Unread postby Kai » Tue May 22, 2007 3:54 pm

Return to OOC RP Discussion